Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Despite me having to force my way through ME 1 again I have to say that I really liked how most achievments gave you an in-game perk, such as regeneration or bonus skills. I always felt that it was a shame that the later ME games dropped that aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Because other than Magimix nobody is going to replay a Mass Effect game more than a couple times, if that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

1st AD posted:

Because other than Magimix nobody is going to replay a Mass Effect game more than a couple times, if that.
2 and 3 I have multiple playthroughs. 1...not so much. I'm on PS3 so I can't even mod saves :shepicide:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

1st AD posted:

What? I played through the first game more than the others. I want to say 6-7 times. Partially because it was all we had at the time, and also because I was high on painkillers after surgery. Man I had a lot more free time just 5 short years ago.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

1st AD posted:

20 something on me2. 8 on me3.

(1 on me1. Well, two, but one on easy)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really confused by their suggestion that it'll be a separate game in the same universe and could happen after the events of the ME trilogy, since no matter what ending you choose it has pretty drastic consequences for the universe as a whole. This pretty much knocks Synthesis and probably Control as well out as an option and really only leaves the Destroy ending. I can't see them really being able to produce a new game that isn't either set before/during the events of the ME Trilogy or that pisses off a lot of people by establishing a "canon" ending to ME3.

Edit: poo poo, forgot this is the non-spoiler thread, sorry all.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 20, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just read between the lines and realise that they really mean that the game is still in planning stages and they don't have a firm idea what they want to do yet, or at least have not told the community managers.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 20, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

You know, what with where the series is now standing between ME3 as a whole and stuff like literal evil clone Shepard, I wouldn't be surprised if they go full on Metal Gear grotesque from here.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really confused by their suggestion that it'll be a separate game in the same universe and could happen after the events of the ME trilogy, since no matter what ending you choose it has pretty drastic consequences for the universe as a whole. This pretty much knocks Synthesis and probably Control as well out as an option and really only leaves the Destroy ending. I can't see them really being able to produce a new game that isn't either set before/during the events of the ME Trilogy or that pisses off a lot of people by establishing a "canon" ending to ME3.

They're going to set up ME4 so that all three endings happened at the same time and the galaxy gets divided into three factions reflecting the three outcomes. That way there's a nice set up for PvP when the ME MMO comes out. I'm Weed'Lord Vas Boner'Hitler and I belong to the synthesis faction :pcgaming:

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Burning Mustache posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they go full on Metal Gear grotesque from here.

At this point that might not be a terrible idea. Better to embrace the insanity than try to salvage something serious from that universe.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Jerusalem posted:

And here I was under the impression that Destroy was the "worst" ending. At least in my opinion - I didn't do all that drat work freeing the geth and having Joker and EDI fall in love just for them to all die.

Unrelated: I've just started my second playthrough of ME1, and I'm torn about the Ashley/Kaidan situation already. My first time around I saved Kaidan because I thought he was mildly interesting, but after him telling me to gently caress off in ME2, I didn't give a poo poo about him in ME3. However, I don't know what Ashley would add in his place, and because I like Vega for some incomprehensible reason and am no fan of any of the other human squadmates, I guess what I'm asking is...

Who's more entertaining at the party on the Citadel DLC?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

morcant posted:

However, I don't know what Ashley would add in his place

Well, her role in ME2 is pretty much the same as Kaidan's, but for ME1 and ME3, having her around as a squadmate is at least slightly more interesting than watching paint dry, so she's got at least that going for her over Kaidan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

morcant posted:

Who's more entertaining at the party on the Citadel DLC?

Neither are particularly interesting at the party. Ashley was a pretty interesting character in 1, but 3 seems like they both were kind of afterthoughts outside of their arcs at the beginning through the coup Though that happens to a lot of squadmates, they don't really have much to do throughout the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

morcant posted:

And here I was under the impression that Destroy was the "worst" ending. At least in my opinion - I didn't do all that drat work freeing the geth and having Joker and EDI fall in love just for them to all die.

In my opinion, Destroy would be the best ending if they hadn't thrown in that stupid bullshit about it killing the Geth/EDI too (which I just ignore since it was supposed to kill Shepard too and it didn't) but I think if they made a new game set after the events of ME3, that would be the only ending that really made sense. With the other endings either everybody is an amalgam of organic and synthetic and the universe is at peace OR there's an enforced "peace" watched over by Big BrotherReaper Shepard.

I love exploring around the Mass Effect universe though, so as long as they don't do something stupid and make it an MMO I'll probably jump on whatever they come up with... or at least once my region's artificially inflated price falls down low enough that once it goes on a big discounted sale it still costs only slightly more than the original full US price. Thanks Origin :sigh:

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
If you ask me about that there is no evidence that the star child thingy was telling you the truth about Edi/Geth while picking Green would be saying "Hey Saren was in the right" and blue would be "hey the ilusive man was right"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

dereku posted:

If you ask me about that there is no evidence that the star child thingy was telling you the truth about Edi/Geth while picking Green would be saying "Hey Saren was in the right" and blue would be "hey the ilusive man was right"

EDI is on the memorial wall in the Extended Destroy ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

They hadn't finished paying tribute to Crewman Edith Krabbitz, obviously :colbert:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Clearly Priestly means Bioware's gonna go all Nintendo on our asses and pull out a split timeline theory.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Jerusalem posted:

In my opinion, Destroy would be the best ending if they hadn't thrown in that stupid bullshit about it killing the Geth/EDI too (which I just ignore since it was supposed to kill Shepard too and it didn't) but I think if they made a new game set after the events of ME3, that would be the only ending that really made sense. With the other endings either everybody is an amalgam of organic and synthetic and the universe is at peace OR there's an enforced "peace" watched over by Big BrotherReaper Shepard.

Wow. That gets my vote for canon ending, then. Honestly, yeah, I agree - without "Oh and uh it kills the Geth/EDI, too", who are actually totally peaceful cool synthetics if you're not a dickass to them, that would make me a pretty happy camper.

Not that I won't buy the next ME game anyway, but I approve of tweaking old continuity to make a sequel more viable. I feel like that's been done before for other IPs, though I can't recall any specific examples at the moment.

I have a FemShep who likes interesting dudes, so I ignored Ashley entirely last time, but I all know about her is "space racist" and that some people disagree with that. Kaidan is like Carth Onasi from KOTOR (though it took me til ME3 to realize he was voiced by the same guy), but he has headaches instead of being cool. FemRevan + Carth forever. :allears:

I suppose it doesn't really matter. I might just do the same thing as the first time: in a story context the first time around, it made sense for my Shep to go for Kaidan since he was the one with the drat bomb. If that thing didn't go off, everyone was hosed. Then again, that's why my Paragon Shep left the Council to die, because Sovereign was the obvious goddamn threat, even though I as a player understood it was the "Renegade" option.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Someone liked Carth?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just finished a ME1 playthrough w/ Ashley as my romance. I ended up very impressed with her character arc. She starts off as the space racist, but by the end of the game she has turned around entirely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BreakAtmo posted:

poo poo, before the EC EDI would get out of the loving crashed Normandy if you took her on enough missions, even after it explicitly said she died :shepface:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

SubponticatePoster posted:

poo poo, before the EC EDI would get out of the loving crashed Normandy if you took her on enough missions, even after it explicitly said she died :shepface:

Ugh, ending stuff. That and other things makes me think the ~*star child*~ is just one big liar, but whatever.

I stick to this thread to avoid ending chatter over and over.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

morcant posted:

I have a FemShep who likes interesting dudes, so I ignored Ashley entirely last time, but I all know about her is "space racist" and that some people disagree with that.

Well for one thing the whole "space racist" thing is vastly overblown, especially around here, and besides, she's also right :shepface:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

Well for one thing the whole "space racist" thing is vastly overblown, especially around here, and besides, she's also right :shepface:

Though the same people who use the space racist thing also like Javik so eh. Who is a classical 18th century space racist.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Someone liked Carth?

I was 13 once! <:mad:>

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though the same people who use the space racist thing also like Javik so eh. Who is a classical 18th century space racist.

I really liked him at first, but I could only handle so much bitching about how much he hates everything.

Hm... The only romance options for FemShep in ME1 are Kaidan and Liara, right? Maybe I'll do Kaidan this time around, but I can't imagine it coming up really in ME3, though I could be wrong.

I don't know - I accidentally took Ashley on the mission to recruit Liara, and I really don't think I like her very much. "Ms. Prothean Expert"?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's actually a very good and interesting point. It's fair to say personality counts for a lot though, so that's a clear win for Javik. Plus as you point out, he is essentially a product of his time, whereas Ashley was born and raised in (supposedly) more enlightened period and really should know better.

A little like the difference between your average crusty war vet great-grandpa who tells badass war stories but occasionally comes out with something that makes you cringe and roll your eyes, and that girl on your Facebook who comes out of loving nowhere with "send 'em all back home!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

That's actually a very good and interesting point. It's fair to say personality counts for a lot though, so that's a clear win for Javik. Plus as you point out, he is essentially a product of his time, whereas Ashley was born and raised in (supposedly) more enlightened period and really should know better.

A little like the difference between your average crusty war vet great-grandpa who tells badass war stories but occasionally comes out with something that makes you cringe and roll your eyes, and that girl on your Facebook who comes out of loving nowhere with "send 'em all back home!"

Debatable, I find Javik horribly annoying. Hell is "I am superior" much a character? Though I never got how people liked characters like him, Garrus, and whoever the mercenary dude is (can't remember his name), so whatever.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestheHammer posted:

Debatable, I find Javik horribly annoying. Hell is "I am superior" much a character? Though I never got how people liked characters like him, Garrus, and whoever the mercenary dude is (can't remember his name), so whatever.

I couldn't stand Javik. His only use was as a plot helper.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The reason why people like Javik and not Ashley is because one is funny and other is dull. It's not more complicated than that. If you're gonna be a racist, be an entertaining racist.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: poo poo, forgot this is the non-spoiler thread, sorry all.

I think they really really wanted to make a "Mass Effect: First Contact" third person shooter prequel but every fan on the internet begging them not to make a prequel made them scrap that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

First Contact was like a seventeen hour "war" and a huge misunderstanding.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

First Contact was like a seventeen hour "war" and a huge misunderstanding.

And Cerberus was once a small Alliance black ops group, Reapers were sentient beings and Collectors were a small, limited army that got completely wiped out :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lycus posted:

The reason why people like Javik and not Ashley is because one is funny and other is dull. It's not more complicated than that. If you're gonna be a racist, be an entertaining racist.

I guess, I just don't see it, Javik is very annoying and not that funny. Though he is basically an info dump on his culture which was nice. He actually reminds me a lot of Liara in ME1.

Also I didn't say why like one without the other, I was just amused one wasn't considered a racist (or it wasn't brought up at all) while being a much worse one.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 20, 2013

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All through out Mass Effect 2 I kept siding with and defending Cerberus. And now in ME3 Cerberus is clearly villainous? :(

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

forever gold posted:

All through out Mass Effect 2 I kept siding with and defending Cerberus. And now in ME3 Cerberus is clearly villainous? :(

Cerberus were antagonists in ME2 as well, just not direct ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CPFortest posted:

Cerberus were antagonists in ME2 as well, just not direct ones.

Yeah they were pretty clearly villainous in ME2 so I guess I don't get the confusion.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, they seemed like an amoral self-interested organization that needed to do dirty things in order to get things done.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

forever gold posted:

Nah, they seemed like an amoral self-interested organization that needed to do dirty things in order to get things done.
In ME1 it showed that they did really dirty things. They're also pretty massive human supremacists. In ME2 you only get hints of how slimy they are, mostly from what people mention to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Even at the end of ME2 if you side with Illusive Man and save the base, Shepard's dialogue indicates that she's not that happy with the outcome.

• Locked thread