Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint's TEP used to be a deal when it was $6-7 and the deductible was $50 (then $100). I went from an Apache to a HTC Touch to a Touch Diamond without upgrading, and I got the Apache for cheap at end of life. Got my Moment replaced right before I upgraded in order to sell it as "pristine 10/10 condition." Most of the time they were replaced free in store, and I even got the deductible waived once or twice.

Also, I think you can split TEP into the two parts--insurance and in-store repair coverage. When the TEP price went up to $8-9, I opted for just the insurance at like $5. What is it now?

There's also AppleCare (which in my opinion you only need if you're dropsy), Esurance by AllState, Square Trade. Square Trade is $125 ($99 for the Galaxy S4) with $100 deductible but doesn't cover loss/theft. Esurance is ~$8/month with $125 deductible and does cover loss/theft.

Agreed, when it first came out. I bought the HTC Mogul off of eBay for my birthday shortly after it's release. Eventually it gave me problems, so a free "upgrade" to the TP1. Then the same thing for the TP2. I think I used the actual "accidental" insurance once for a broken screen; another time there was that brief period that broken screens were somehow covered in store as well.

When I got my Note 2, I went ahead and got Best Buy's insurance since it was $10/month, but no deductible. Hopefully between Cerberus and that insurance I won't have any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stick100 posted:

I think I'm just irrationally opposed to insurance and I'll stop posting about it.
I wouldn't say "irrationally opposed." The original purpose of insurance (in a general sense) is to shed risk of rare, but catastrophic events that one can't (reasonably) save enough money to afford to deal with. Hence home, auto, medical insurances, etc.

Phone insurance is silly for a few reasons, but one of which is that the actual cost to completely replace a device (~$500ish) is within the deductable range for most people's auto policies. So, for example, if you own/lease a car and are in a reasonable financial state, losing a phone would be inconvenient but not financially fatal. If it would be, there's bigger financial problems going on in your life that probably need attention first over smartphones.

But that's my opinion, and isn't representative of how a lot of folks prioritize their finances.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I understand that their hands are tied but in what world is having to spend more money out of pocket because the phone recommended to me by Sprint can't perform properly, an acceptable solution? How is it acceptable that my choices are to either keep taking my phone back to have it "serviced" and not usable by me for the day, maybe keeping my data if they haven't decided to wipe it or switch it out for a new device, or to spend $250 more to buy my own new phone?

I'm not expecting other carriers to be more accommodating with stuff like this. I'm saying that to do what the people at the store wanted me to do (buy a new phone) it would actually have been cheaper to break my contract and buy a S3/Note 2/whatever while signing up for a new contract somewhere else.

edit: Seriously, is it me? Am I the weird guy here? Am I the terrible person for thinking it's Sprint's responsibility to handle the situation of making me, the customer, happy when dealing with what turned out to be a notoriously buggy phone that had known issues like not being able to turn on the screen or the phone shutting off at random? Is it my fault for getting even more frustrated with the situation when stuff happens like me bringing my phone in to get an update and them seemingly corrupting my sd card doing something that by all rights shouldn't even be touching the sd card in ght first place?

I bought a phone on the promise that it would work. It doesn't. If paying for their insurance, where they're supposed to fix my phone, isn't doing anything then why am I paying these people?

Like others have said, life sucks, but if you are really frustrated vote with your wallet, take a hit on costs and switch carriers.

Ironically Sprint TEP is actually one of the better wireless insurance programs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint's TEP used to be a deal when it was $6-7 and the deductible was $50 (then $100). I went from an Apache to a HTC Touch to a Touch Diamond without upgrading, and I got the Apache for cheap at end of life. Got my Moment replaced right before I upgraded in order to sell it as "pristine 10/10 condition." Most of the time they were replaced free in store, and I even got the deductible waived once or twice.

This is why you can't get cheap phone insurance anymore!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Stick100 posted:

Except those pictures are not real. It was a scammy photoshop attempt by Samsung Taiwan to discredit HTC.

Yeah, I get that. I meant I was an idiot for not seeing what was supposed to be going on in those pictures. Now that it has been explained to me, what was supposed to be going on, I can see it clear as day.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah, I get that. I meant I was an idiot for not seeing what was supposed to be going on in those pictures. Now that it has been explained to me, what was supposed to be going on, I can see it clear as day.

After looking at them, I think you are correct that was how they were produced. They must have taken pictures of the receipt, then added them into that background then lined up/cut the receipt to make it look like the receipt was sliding underneath the glass. The one where the receipt is supposed to be about 60% in the screen you can see it curl a little on the bottom left as if it's sitting on a table and someone took a picture of it. That also explains the difference in color intensity between the one part on screen and the other part next to the phone.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

This is why you can't get cheap phone insurance anymore!
gently caress you you didn't own a Samsung Moment!

Edit for low content: While I must have visited the Sprint tech store at least a 1/2 dozen times for each of my Windows Mobile phones and my Moment, my fiance and I haven't had to go once since the HTC Evo generation or switching to iPhones. The early Android phones with ARM11 processors were all pretty terrible, IMO. Snapdragon really improved the Android experience, as long as you only buy halo devices. It's also nice to see that manufactures are building one product across all carriers like the GS3 and the HTC One, with the help of chip makers producing SoC capable of GSM/UMTS/CDMA/LTE and multiple frequency bands.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 20, 2013

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The initial setup of the HTC One is slick as heck. Go into a web browser on your PC when both are connected to the internet, type in a passphrase, and do all the major stuff up fromt.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Got some bad news today. My sister's Note 2 spontaneously cracked while she was texting. The phone's new and obviously still under warranty. Are we going to convince anyone that she didn't drop it, or is she totally boned?

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Can someone please explain how those pictures discredit the HTC One? I don't see anything in those pictures that puts HTC or the HTC One in a bad light... What did Samsung do?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Mr. Ali posted:

Can someone please explain how those pictures discredit the HTC One? I don't see anything in those pictures that puts HTC or the HTC One in a bad light... What did Samsung do?
The implication was that the phone was so shoddily-manufactured that there was a big gap at the top that you could fit a receipt paper into and cover the screen on the inside. It would've let tons of dust/pocket lint debris in.

Glad to hear it's fake.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
RadioShack is offering $50 of Google Play credit with the One if anyone is thinking of getting it. I might pull the trigger on that deal.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Preorder S4 sold out already? Awesome!

I'm bad at this. Is there usually much delay past launch if you don't preorder a phone, or is there no way to tell?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

azurite posted:

Got some bad news today. My sister's Note 2 spontaneously cracked while she was texting. The phone's new and obviously still under warranty. Are we going to convince anyone that she didn't drop it, or is she totally boned?
Unless there's a known issue with it (last I checked there isn't, but I've never had a Note in for service), she's boned. If its a single crack less than an inch, she might be able to get someone to replace it, but it's iffy.

I've seen a couple of S3s with weird cracks, I have a suspicion that the plastic body has enough give that it can crack the screen if you squeeze it wrong. But that's just a guess, we couldn't do anything for them either.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Loucks posted:

Preorder S4 sold out already? Awesome!

I'm bad at this. Is there usually much delay past launch if you don't preorder a phone, or is there no way to tell?

poo poo. That will just embolden them to keep the price $50 more than everyone else is charging.

I didn't pre-order hoping they'd drop the price, but all the lemmings bought it anyways. :tizzy:

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

td4guy posted:

The implication was that the phone was so shoddily-manufactured that there was a big gap at the top that you could fit a receipt paper into and cover the screen on the inside. It would've let tons of dust/pocket lint debris in.

Glad to hear it's fake.

It's not just fake, it's absurd. I picked up a One last night and that alleged gap is really just a shadow from the angled aluminum. That "gap" is sealed tighter than any seam I've ever seen on a plastic phone. Let alone how ridiculous the idea is that even if there was a gap there you could slide a piece of paper through all the way without hitting the speaker/led's/wiring or whatever. In those doctored pictures the paper is going clean through the front camera, speaker, notification led, and light/proximity sensors.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TVs Ian posted:

Unless there's a known issue with it (last I checked there isn't, but I've never had a Note in for service), she's boned. If its a single crack less than an inch, she might be able to get someone to replace it, but it's iffy.

I've seen a couple of S3s with weird cracks, I have a suspicion that the plastic body has enough give that it can crack the screen if you squeeze it wrong. But that's just a guess, we couldn't do anything for them either.

Thanks. Sprint already told her to submit an insurance claim, but she doesn't really have the dough for that replacement fee. Since it's a defect, I told her to see how far she gets with Samsung.

Her boyfriend's S3 screen cracked in his pocket too. He swore there was no impact. I'm kind of nervous about my S3 now. :ohdear:

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 20, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If anyone is still rocking an evo 3d out there, totally put on the Jelly Bean CM10. It even fixes the annoying issues, like can't tell if you have a notification if you are charging.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

TLG James posted:

If anyone is still rocking an evo 3d out there, totally put on the Jelly Bean CM10. It even fixes the annoying issues, like can't tell if you have a notification if you are charging.

Seconding this. Cm 10/10.1 is the only reason I haven't thrown my phone into the ocean by now. I'm actually considering waiting a month or two after the S4 comes out before pulling the trigger on it because I don't mind it so much.

My only gripe is that I can't get tether to work with it. Any suggestions?

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

FlyingCheese posted:

Seconding this. Cm 10/10.1 is the only reason I haven't thrown my phone into the ocean by now. I'm actually considering waiting a month or two after the S4 comes out before pulling the trigger on it because I don't mind it so much.

My only gripe is that I can't get tether to work with it. Any suggestions?

Are you using the TrevE tether?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

beamrider posted:

Are you using the TrevE tether?

Yeah, it claims it's tethering and I can connect to it but the internet doesn't work. All the settings are right as far as I could tell so I don't know what it's wrong with it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

I need to try this. I don't know why, but I've never rooted this thing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm still using an Evo3D myself, and I'm going to wait to get the S4 because I just can't stand Sense anymore. The notifications/quick settings panel especially. A battery icon isn't so effective when you have to guess at the percentage of charge left.

Does the stock phone log on the One still not allow you to see call duration length? That's one of my (other) biggest annoyances with this phone.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 21, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

fknlo posted:

I need to try this. I don't know why, but I've never rooted this thing.

The best part of rooting an Evo3D is stabbing a wire into its guts over and over trying to get your timing right.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loucks posted:

The best part of rooting an Evo3D is stabbing a wire into its guts over and over trying to get your timing right.

Yeah, I'm hunting around my apartment for a wire right now...

I love how this is more complicated than putting Android on my HP Touchpad.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 22, 2013

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I apologize if this does not belong in this thread but I too have a Evo 3D and wanted to know what exact build for CM10.1 you guys are referring to. Any good guides to get me started? For reference I have loaded Android 4.1 on my HP Touchpad so I have some experience with this sort of stuff but I don't really know where to start.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Ali posted:

I apologize if this does not belong in this thread but I too have a Evo 3D and wanted to know what exact build for CM10.1 you guys are referring to. Any good guides to get me started? For reference I have loaded Android 4.1 on my HP Touchpad so I have some experience with this sort of stuff but I don't really know where to start.

I'm running into way more issues than I did with installing it on my touchpad.

I'm stuck in a boot loop at the moment which I think is due to my HBOOT version being too new? Trying to work around it now but it's getting close to bedtime.

Edit: Not sure what I did, but I can't even get recovery to work now :v: Time to start shopping for a new phone?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 22, 2013

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Matlock posted:

The initial setup of the HTC One is slick as heck. Go into a web browser on your PC when both are connected to the internet, type in a passphrase, and do all the major stuff up fromt.

So you can't just do the setup from the phone? You have to use a PC?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I've been on the EPRP/Android train for a few years now, but my wife, who still has a fliphone and her old SERO account is finally ready to join the iPhone crowd. I'm a little confused reading the OP on how we should go about this:

quote:

Note for SERO users: you just buy phones through sprint corporate. The website normally fucks up and says you have to change your plan to upgrade. Ignore that and do the following:

Grumpwagon posted:

Buy the phone, call in to activate. They have to switch you from WiMax SERO to LTE SERO. Same cost, same plan, different "4g."

***Don't bother calling *2 for SERO stuff, they don't know poo poo. Call this number to upgrade to SERO Premium: 866-264-1282

I've always bought phones through the site and then handle my issues over the phone (my initial SERO -> EPRP transition being the worst). Should she buy an iphone through the site or at a corporate store? Can they give her a 2-year subsidized phone in the store without changing anything on her account (so she'll just handle the SERO -> SERO Premium 4G transition via a phone when she's trying to activate?)

Just wondering what the proper order in which to do this and where to buy from.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iluvpr0n posted:

I've been on the EPRP/Android train for a few years now,
Check my math, but a two-line EPRP family plan with smartphones is $130/mo I think, whereas EPRP+SERO is $120/mo. So moving to SERO Premium is strictly cheaper, but EPRP family has a larger pool of shared minutes if she has a penchant for calling landlines all day.

Anyways, here's how you do it: Call the SERO number in the OP (866-264-1282), say you want to move her line to SERO Premium 500 "immediately", which is $40/mo. At that point, you should be able to order an iPhone from Sprint's website with the full discount and all. When it comes time to activate, the site should tell you, you need to move to "SERO Premium 500 ($40/mo) + Premium data ($10/mo)" or $50/mo total. If that's what it say, everything worked out and you're golden.

Otherwise, if you order online, get the phone, but activation says it'll require moving to EPRP, call the SERO OP number again and ask them to help you activate the phone.

I really don't recommend doing a SERO subsidized upgrade in store. Yes, technically corporate stores can do it, but in my experience they don't know if they can do it, and they don't know the protocol. Chances are, if they've even heard of SERO, it's because some other rear end in a top hat attempted an in store upgrade and it turned into a mess.

In the two times I've done it, the store associate had to call their "sales assistance" line (or whatever it's called), and the problem is that the assistance-line folks have no clue how to handle it. I've been told "you must upgrade to EPRP, must must!" and "you're asking me to commit fraud here!"

The secret to doing a corp store upgrade, if the store folks themselves claim they're powerless to change the plan, is to call the SERO OP number yourself and say "hey, I'm doing an upgrade at a coroporate store but we're having trouble moving to the exact plan code, think you could help us out?" But really it's a pain in the rear end for everyone involved, and you look like a jerk if it's a busy day and there's a bunch of regular customers in the store just trying to get their shiny S4 or whatever.

Now, if you ignore this and do a corp store upgrade anyways and are less than assured about the exact voodoo they pull, as soon as you leave, check your phone plan online, it should be "SERO Premium 500". if it's anything else, call the SERO OP number and say "hey, I just tried to do a subisidized upgrade on a SERO plan at a corp store, but I think they might have me on a different plan, can you help me get back to SERO Premium 500?"

tl, dr; When in doubt call SERO OP number, have it in your contacts list, those folks are awesome and know their poo poo. (Except the time they accidentally signed me up for TEP on a phone I had owned for months.)

Edit: Just FYI, the last time tried, switching any direction between 3G, WiMAX, and LTE devices requires a call to SERO OP number. Switching within a category (3G->3G, WiMAX->WiMAX, LTE->LTE) uses the same plan code and can be done online. I don't know where iPhones lie though, they might be in own category and recall a SERO OP call. It's useful to know when your phone shits itself and you need to figure out how to swap it out and get the misleading "upgrade plan!" thing on the activation page.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 22, 2013

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Mr. Ali posted:

WARNING, XDA LINK AHEAD: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2098121

As for rooting it/getting S-Off, I'm not really sure since I did it early on and the methods have changed since then.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I must be addicted to disappointment because I keep checking up on the thread to see if they've moved to Omaha/West Iowa in the NV LTE rollout and once again I find Omaha's still waiting. I've moved to Ting so I'm still beholden to Sprint's speeds but instead of $90 for terrible speed I'm paying less than $40 so it's more bearable. Word has it they will have LTE.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

tl, dr; When in doubt call SERO OP number, have it in your contacts list, those folks are awesome and know their poo poo. (Except the time they accidentally signed me up for TEP on a phone I had owned for months.)

Edit: Just FYI, the last time tried, switching any direction between 3G, WiMAX, and LTE devices requires a call to SERO OP number. Switching within a category (3G->3G, WiMAX->WiMAX, LTE->LTE) uses the same plan code and can be done online. I don't know where iPhones lie though, they might be in own category and recall a SERO OP call. It's useful to know when your phone shits itself and you need to figure out how to swap it out and get the misleading "upgrade plan!" thing on the activation page.

Thank you, that was incredibly helpful. I think we'll probably just keep separate accounts and not go to EPRP family, as neither one of us ever go near our ~500 or however many minutes they give you. I'll hope for the best that it doesn't necessitate 5 hours of phone conversations...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

gently caress you you didn't own a Samsung Moment!

Ha I missed this, but FYI I did suffer with a Moment for about 8 months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Sprint Megathread - poo poo I forgot while the page was loading.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I got to mess around with the MetroPCS version of the Samsung Moment the other day.

It ran slower than my HTC Touch Pro2 running XDAndroid. It was crazy bad.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

td4guy posted:

I got to mess around with the MetroPCS version of the Samsung Moment the other day.

It ran slower than my HTC Touch Pro2 running XDAndroid. It was crazy bad.

Actually, that phone is a (small) step above what the Moment was. If that tells you anything, you have a better idea of the pain us previous Moment owners had.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

chemosh6969 posted:

So you can't just do the setup from the phone? You have to use a PC?

You can do all the setup you want from the phone. I opted to use the browser/pc based setup and transfer. It's really well executed.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I'm hunting around my apartment for a wire right now...

I love how this is more complicated than putting Android on my HP Touchpad.

Everything is more complicated than putting Android on an HP Touchpad. There's no lockdown. Same goes for the Palm phones.

By the way, remember how my sister's Note 2 screen cracked on its own? The people in the Sprint store literally laughed at her. However, she called up Samsung and was able to get a free repair. So... Problem solved I guess?

azurite fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

azurite posted:

Everything is more complicated than putting Android on an HP Touchpad. There's no lockdown. Same goes for the Palm phones.

I just thought it was funny since it wasn't originally an android device. I did finally get everything figured out though.