Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

Come to think of it, did the volleyball team get a single kill in the entire show?
None that I can remember. The sad thing is that their shots usually hit unlike the rest of the tank crews. It's just that their gun is so useless it doesn't do any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zettace posted:

None that I can remember. The sad thing is that their shots usually hit unlike the rest of the tank crews. It's just that their gun is so useless it doesn't do any damage.

Didn't they use their mad volleyball skills to chuck smoke bombs at one of the American Sherman tanks in order to run interference for the rest of the team? That earned them a spot on the team in my book.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Didn't they use their mad volleyball skills to chuck smoke bombs at one of the American Sherman tanks in order to run interference for the rest of the team? That earned them a spot on the team in my book.

They certainly had their moments to shine, but those moments were basically running away from the American school, running away from the Russian school, and sitting on the Maus. I was just surprised to realize that they never actually appear to have succeeded in shooting anything to death.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bakanogami posted:

They certainly had their moments to shine, but those moments were basically running away from the American school, running away from the Russian school, and sitting on the Maus. I was just surprised to realize that they never actually appear to have succeeded in shooting anything to death.

Their :airquote: tank :airquote: is a Type-89, made for breaching infantry positions. They would have been more effective hurling harsh language. Hell, considering how much they trolled and baited other teams, they were.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah. Their gun's penetration is like 20mm of armour. The only thing they could penetrate is their own tank.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
History team owns. StuG lyfe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9keZaaAGBsE

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope that some of the most underpowered teams get some sort of upgrade next season, because drat, they really need it. I mean, a M6 would be a godsend for the rabbit team.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

WitchFetish posted:

I hope that some of the most underpowered teams get some sort of upgrade next season, because drat, they really need it. I mean, a M6 would be a godsend for the rabbit team.

They are the biggest team though, so their choice of tanks is very limited unless they want to split up the team. Maybe an IS2 :getin:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'd really like to see a character popularity poll like in manga magazines. Here are my favorites:

Yukari
Katyusha
Erwin
Saki
Sodoko
Momo
Maus

Also, I remember seeing pictures of keychains with all the Anglerfish members being sold at an event at the real Oarai- all of them were sold out except Hana.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The M3 Lee still has uses. If they were to be able to throw a set of bigger guns. Replace the hullmounted cannon for an 8.8cm, and the turret for a 7.5cm.

The Type 89 has to go. As the Volleyball team are all about agility, give them something lightweight like the Soviet T-50 or German PzKpfw 38 nA.

Hetzer is always gonna hetz, but maybe throw a 10.5cm Howitzer in there for maximum dickery.

The StuG could get the gun from the Jagdpanzer IV and Panther tank, the 7.5 cm StuK 42 L/70. Also, upgrading the armor to the AUSF.G specifications.

Porsche Tiger is actually not a terrible tank, it's just not that great either. The 8.8 cm KwK 36 cannon was very good, so that wouldn't need swapped out. Maybe the Mechanics club could get some Tiger I mechanicals to replace the engine and gearbox. Perhaps then some welded on armor plating for the front and sides.

Mallard team could swap the Renault B1 for a PzKpfw III or a Covenanter.

The Type 3 Chi-Nu used by Anteater team is a toughy. The Type 3 was never used in combat, and the only thing it done in the series was reverse into a Tiger II's 8.8cm shell. It's probably quite usable.

Finally, Anglerfish team. It'd be a sore note to replace the PzKpfw IV with anything as it's really one of the main characters. Plus it was really nice to see it slowly get upgraded to AUSF H specs. If it were to be replaced with anything... Tiger I or Panther?

...gently caress, I sperged out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress. The T-50/T-50-2 would be beautiful.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Artificer posted:

gently caress. The T-50/T-50-2 would be beautiful.

It'd be perfect! 4-person crew, often crewed by women because they had smaller builds (or was that another tank?), agile- it'd be perfect for the volleyball team's speedy style while actually being able to hit stuff.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
While the Maus proves that the producers of the anime are willing to give some leeway, I should point out that the T-50 project turned out to be a failure due to an extremely unreliable engine, and the T-50-2 was even worse.

If you want a fast annoying tank from that era, I would propose driving the M24 Chafee, M18 Hellcat or perhap an M3-M5 Stuart.

As for the Lee up gun project, I assure you that would probably be a bad idea. I'd be far more interested in seeing them get a KV of some sort off of pravda.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nine of Eight posted:

As for the Lee up gun project, I assure you that would probably be a bad idea. I'd be far more interested in seeing them get a KV of some sort off of pravda.

I like the idea of tanks from all around the world, and keeping them in a non-death trap American tank they just need to drop a crew member.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Moon posted:

I like the idea of tanks from all around the world, and keeping them in a non-death trap American tank they just need to drop a crew member.

There's always the T29 through T34 series, or the T1 M6 series that could work considering the crew member numbers and non death trap value, especially since all of them were tested and found to be adequate (if not doctrinally relevant)

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'll settle for nothing less than season 2 starting with a war breaking out and the entire cast being drafted to fight in modern tanks in a bloody war drama that wipes them out one by one. Written by Urobuchi and Directed by Tomino.

...who am I kidding, they'll just ramp up the moe factor and tune down the tanks to play to their now-established fanbase like they're doing with the OVA episodes now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Personally I'll settle for nothing less than season 2 starting with a war breaking out and the entire cast being drafted to fight in modern tanks in a bloody war drama that wipes them out one by one. Written by Urobuchi and Directed by Tomino.

...who am I kidding, they'll just ramp up the moe factor and tune down the tanks to play to their now-established fanbase like they're doing with the OVA episodes now.

Fingers crossed that this does not happen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
OVAs? What are they? I do not know you are talking about.

I do not want to know.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Is it bad every time I see a tank taken out in this show, I hear the WoT announcer going either "Enemy vehicle destroyed!" or "Bail out! We're finished!"? Maybe this is a sign I should cut back on the game...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Just don't mention you liked Girls Und Panzer in the WoT thread, you'll be crucified. :( Though that's kind of a given.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The OVA's aren't that bad though, Monty Python skit anyone?

Falken posted:

Just don't mention you liked Girls Und Panzer in the WoT thread, you'll be crucified. :( Though that's kind of a given.

Isn't this more a thing to do with intra-sub forum goon culture though? The actual GuP thread at the WoT forums is pretty popular.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Anime is derided and hated on the forums, mainly due to the terribleness of most fans on (and off) the internet and the terribleness of a lot of anime generally.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Falken posted:

Nah dude, nobody cares that much. Keep it about the tanks and you're golden, it's just that nobody wants to talk about anime girls. All the StUG stuff is great, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig8bA6jXjTQ

Anybody know what track is looping in the background?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjT8rCAfhk

I have no idea what I've just found. But it has German Panther tanks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Apparently its a 12 minute promo thing for a manga called Panther Detail. No actual anime series attached.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'll have to look it up.

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJ9Ocxf8lY

Panzerlied has never been so moe.

e: Huh, Yukari has a Panzer detail poster in her room.

Falken fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 22, 2013

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I liked the detail of the back deck of the Panther going up in flame.

For historical reference, after WWII the French were really short on tanks so one or two regiments used captured Panthers. One of the unpleasant design flaws that they learnt about the mighty steel cat was that the engine would catch fire if a smoke grenade went off on the back deck.

Glorious ubermensch engineering gents.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoa, I was sort of blown away by this. I hadnt watched anything the last two seasons aside from Jojo (which really didnt count since Im a Jojo fanatic already, so its not like I was watching something new), but I was bored this weekend and gave it a watch. Super cute and every tank battle was intense. I think the StuG was my favorite character out of them all. While I didnt mind seeing the rest of those paint jobs go, they could have rolled with the Roman Legionary colors.

jwang posted:

Is it bad every time I see a tank taken out in this show, I hear the WoT announcer going either "Enemy vehicle destroyed!" or "Bail out! We're finished!"? Maybe this is a sign I should cut back on the game...

I started playing WoT again as a result of watching this, I think I must have been in beta last time because all my progress is gone :( I had a Tiger too.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, I think one of the things that really caught me was how visceral the movements of the tanks were, and the sound effects were spot on. I still regularly rewatch Miho vs Maho, the climax to the Pravda battle, Ooarai vs Black Forest standoff at the hill etc.

I just wish that Turtle team got the Hetzer upgrade for the 38(t) earlier. One battle is just not enough time for hetzing. Because the hetzer gotta hetz.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I don't know if I could handle more than one episode of Hetzer trolling.

If there is a second season I hope they at least double the number of tanks they have. I want to have even more named characters that I cannot name, but recognize the tank they crew.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wind Tempest posted:

If there is a second season I hope they at least double the number of tanks they have. I want to have even more named characters that I cannot name, but recognize the tank they crew.

Oh my God I thought I was the only one :neckbeard:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'd be happy enough if they just upgraded their tanks. Too many tanks means that the battles would be 'fair' and the underdog status of Oarai would diminish, thus getting rid of some of the appeal.

I was thinking about the whole Pravda vs Black Forest battle where Miho abandoned her Tiger I to rescue the Tiger II team. If the crew of the tank had drowned, Panzerkraft would have likely been abolished or at the very least put under very heavy scrutiny. New tank crews would probably also be hard to come by as girls would be discouraged by their parents to not take up the sport.

If anything, Miho probably inadvertently saved the sport.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Falken posted:

I'd be happy enough if they just upgraded their tanks. Too many tanks means that the battles would be 'fair' and the underdog status of Oarai would diminish, thus getting rid of some of the appeal.

They're the National Champs. Not exactly underdog anymore.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

If they don't get upgraded equipment from their school after winning the championship, then the board of directors on their ship has some serious issues, then.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Bad Moon posted:

Speaking of which, didn't the Type 89 crew have plans to reinstate their volleyball team?

I'm not complaining. If they forgot, I can certainly understand why.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
The second series is actually going to be a volleyball sports anime.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I predict that the cheerleaders that we briefly saw will get their own tank in Season 2.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

It'll be a SPG. Spiking shells down through hatches.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong person.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 24, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Arty is op :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bad Moon posted:

Until they participate in international games and find out Japan has been ranked at the bottom for years!

• Locked thread