Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

James R posted:

Everyone I know seems to be talking up the whodunnit aspect of Broadchurch. I flew through the episodes thus far in a couple of days and after getting over the initial shock of David Tennant using a Scottish accent instead of that bloody Doctor Who accent I realised he's actually a really good actor. Whoops.

I know! I felt a bit dim as well, dismissing an actor entirely just because I wasn't fond of him in one role. Should have remembered how good he was in Casanova and Hamlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a Whovian, but didn't Chris Eccleston end up leaving the show because of that risk of typecasting?

I thought he was a good Doctor :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

spincube posted:

I'm not a Whovian, but didn't Chris Eccleston end up leaving the show because of that risk of typecasting?

I thought he was a good Doctor :(

He did, yeah. He was loving great but ended up doing more loving great things (see: The Shadow Line) so it's all good. He's a drat good actor and seems to have had decent work since leaving Who. He's in the next Thor film. Not that it's saying much but he was one of the best things about Heroes too.

David Tennant was good in ITV's Secret Smile, which I've never been able to find since it aired, but he was so convincing that ever since I've never quite been able to get over the creepiness of his role in that little drama. No one else seems to remember it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

eating only apples posted:

He did, yeah. He was loving great but ended up doing more loving great things (see: The Shadow Line) so it's all good. He's a drat good actor and seems to have had decent work since leaving Who. He's in the next Thor film. Not that it's saying much but he was one of the best things about Heroes too.

David Tennant was good in ITV's Secret Smile, which I've never been able to find since it aired, but he was so convincing that ever since I've never quite been able to get over the creepiness of his role in that little drama. No one else seems to remember it.

Ecclestone greatest role was the baddie in Gone in 60 Seconds :colbert:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I've been watching Ripper Street. It's really funny the last 3 episodes have each had minor actors from Game of Thrones. It's like a cross over kinda thing. Actors I've spotted so far: Bronn - Ser Jorah - Roose Bolton - Barristan Selmy.

Not a bad show, glad to see it's getting a second season.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The guy that plays Jorah is in loads of stuff at the moment.

Which is nice. He has the best voice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ingram posted:

I've been watching Ripper Street. It's really funny the last 3 episodes have each had minor actors from Game of Thrones. It's like a cross over kinda thing. Actors I've spotted so far: Bronn - Ser Jorah - Roose Bolton - Barristan Selmy.

Not a bad show, glad to see it's getting a second season.

Isnt hodor in it?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

He has a voice that's great in everything, but perfectly tailored to saying 'Khalisee'.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Yes you can now add Hodor to the list. I wonder if season 2 will keep the trend.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I haven't seen all his work but Cracker has to be Eccleston at his finest hands down. So I just binged through Utopia and quite enjoyed it, thanks a lot to whoever in the thread recommended giving it a look.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

eating only apples posted:

This clip from it used to do the rounds about every six months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUdPin-dhU

The full thing's up there. It's still great. One of the last worthwhile things ITV ever did.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Gorn Myson posted:

He was in one of Matt Smith's Doctor Who episodes a while back too, playing a bad-rear end future cleric commando. Also one of the Tomb Raider films, which is probably best forgotten.

Channel 4 have merged Countdown and 8 out of 10 cats to produce an entirely different quiz show.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/wReqUlA.jpg:nws:
"That's Numberwang!"

edit: oops, NWS for badly drawn cock.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

25*2= 50
5-4= 1
50-1= 49
49*8= 392.
:colbert:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

25*8*2-7-5+4

We should have a live countdown thread

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Irisi posted:

Do you mean Arne Dahl? It is very daft, not a patch on The Killing or The Bridge (please god, give us season 2 of The Bridge soon, I've been a good, patient girl...)

Been binging through Inspector Montalbano recently, to get my foreign-language detective fix. Italian instead of Nordic, and slightly more light-hearted, but it's pretty good. Gorgeous scenery, and the lead actor is marvellous.

The Bridge is coming back at the end of this year in Scandiwegia (Wikipedia says "late 2013"), hopefully the BBC will get it soon after, I'm looking forward to the Tunnel adaptation though, it looks pretty interesting.

I've wanted to watch Inspector Montalbano, but haven't done so because Montalbano looks just enough like James Richardson (face of Italian football in the 90s because of Gazzetta Football Italia) to be offputting and I keep expecting some quality puns at any moment, which can ruin any suspense.

justcola posted:

25*8*2-7-5+4

We should have a live countdown thread

I'd be up for that if I was out of bed in time

"I've got a 9 :getin:

OBJECTIVE :smug:"

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 20, 2013

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
What exactly makes all these Scandinavian crime dramas so good? I've never watched any, but seen people rave about them without really getting a sense of what it is that makes them so compelling. And now there's so many of the bloody things I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to watching them.

What would be a good starter?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Someone made mention of Wallander in the thread and it seems to have a lot of iterations so surely it must be doing something right. I'm back again to thank whoever chatted up The Shadow Line, another great drama down and I'm beginning to fear there aren't many left for me to devour.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Corte posted:

Someone made mention of Wallander in the thread and it seems to have a lot of iterations so surely it must be doing something right. I'm back again to thank whoever chatted up The Shadow Line, another great drama down and I'm beginning to fear there aren't many left for me to devour.

Lee Nelson's Well Good Show is a masterpiece of modern British screenwriting.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Comfy Chairs posted:

What exactly makes all these Scandinavian crime dramas so good? I've never watched any, but seen people rave about them without really getting a sense of what it is that makes them so compelling. And now there's so many of the bloody things I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to watching them.

What would be a good starter?

Wallander is probably the best place to start. There's a few different versions, my favourite is the Swedish language TV series starring Krister Henriksson as Detective Wallander. There are 26 90-minute films, new stories, not based on the Wallander novels.

Here's the first 7 episodes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallander-Collected-Films-1-7-DVD/dp/B004KKPQN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366447045&sr=8-1&keywords=wallander

There are also Swedish and English language adaptations of the novels. I think the Swedish ones with Rolf Lassgard are a bit dated (they started in the mid-90s). The English language ones star Kenneth Brannagh, and they're great.

I'd also check out the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, which is fantastic. And the Danish language The Killing. It's very good, but the first series is a bit annoying because it's too long. For the second and third series they went down from 20 to 10 episodes, and it's much better for it.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

atomic gog posted:

Wallander is probably the best place to start. There's a few different versions, my favourite is the Swedish language TV series starring Krister Henriksson as Detective Wallander. There are 26 90-minute films, new stories, not based on the Wallander novels.

Here's the first 7 episodes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallander-Collected-Films-1-7-DVD/dp/B004KKPQN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366447045&sr=8-1&keywords=wallander

There are also Swedish and English language adaptations of the novels. I think the Swedish ones with Rolf Lassgard are a bit dated (they started in the mid-90s). The English language ones star Kenneth Brannagh, and they're great.

I'd also check out the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, which is fantastic. And the Danish language The Killing. It's very good, but the first series is a bit annoying because it's too long. For the second and third series they went down from 20 to 10 episodes, and it's much better for it.

To add to the Scandinavian crime dramas, I'd recommend The Bridge (which you can buy on Amazon). It's a Danish/Swedish series about a dead body found on the border on the Øresund Bridge, and then it's 10 episodes of interesting and slightly depressing criminal chasing, as you'd expect. I really enjoyed it, even if the ending is really, really :smith:.

Another Danish drama to watch is Borgen (DVD boxset), I haven't watched it but my mum loving loves it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

There's no need for that sort of abuse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rarity posted:

There's a line. There are rules here.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Simon Brodkin also did this
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/04/20/17665/lee_nelsons_election_stunt

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Comfy Chairs posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/wReqUlA.jpg:nws:
"That's Numberwang!"

edit: oops, NWS for badly drawn cock.

Is this new, or just a repeat of the one they did for that Channel 4 mash up thing?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Is this new, or just a repeat of the one they did for that Channel 4 mash up thing?

It was a new hour-long episode, there was another new episode the week before too.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rarity posted:

Why do you try and hurt me Rarity? Did I wrong you in some past life?

Anyway hoping for another recommendation if there's anything left that I've missed, so far I've gone through:
Life on Mars
Broadchurch
Utopia
The Shadow Line
Cracker
State of Play
Luther
Sherlock

Shows I'm aware of that are options are Hustle, Spooks and House of Cards.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Corte posted:

Anyway hoping for another recommendation if there's anything left that I've missed, so far I've gone through:
Life on Mars
Broadchurch
Utopia
The Shadow Line
Cracker
State of Play
Luther
Sherlock

There was a sequel series to life on mars if you haven't seen that. Black mirror is a quality drama but it is a series of one offs rather than linked episodes. If you liked Sherlock you might like Coupling by rhe same writer but that's a comedy.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Corte posted:

Life on Mars
Broadchurch
Utopia
The Shadow Line
Cracker
State of Play
Luther
Sherlock

You'll probably like Red Riding if you haven't seen that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Corte posted:

Life on Mars
Broadchurch
Utopia
The Shadow Line
Cracker
State of Play
Luther
Sherlock

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Seek out A Touch of Cloth and you won't be disappointed.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Seek out A Touch of Cloth and you won't be disappointed.

hah, I almost recommended this, it really is brilliant

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If you enjoyed Life on Mars then it has a sequel series; Ashes to Ashes.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Nick loving Grimshaw, the talentless, dead-behind-the-eyes oval office has been given a loving television show on BBC Three and the loving noncey bastards won't stop showing ads for his horrible upcoming show with his horrible face and horrible voice in them on all their lovely channels. I'm so annoyed. I really thought I'd seen the end of that oval office after T4 ended. The BBC is doling out public money to that cretin in the name of talent. Unbelievable.

Other BBC Three bottom of the barrel highlights: Barely Legal Drivers! This is supposed to be a show that follows the antics on the road of recently qualified drivers. The ads for the programme show just that: young drivers doing stupid things behind the wheel. In itself, I suppose that would be a horrible TV turd, but I figured that if it made 17 year olds have a think about their driving then it might do a bit of good despite being devoid of entertainment value.

Nope.

There was hardly anything to do with driving in the show. There were a few minutes here and there (in an hour-long show) of in-car footage and the SHOCK HORROR parents' reactions to their children's lovely driving, but the show mostly just follows around the couple of young people in each episode for no good loving reason. They were in their bedrooms waking them up, in their living rooms while they were eating dinner and following them around gyms and nightclubs. The narrator divulged all sorts of personal stuff about the poor gits. Why doesn't the BBC just loving drop the charade and stop making different programmes like this and have done with it by turning BBC3 into continuous footage of teenagers being stalked by camera crews as they go about their lives.

One poor girl in the particular episode I watched had it in her head that she wanted to be "a glamour model". The narrator divulged that she'd had a boob job and we were shown this poor wench having photos taken at an agency, spreadeagled over a chair and sucking her finger. It all felt very loving exploitative. Still, I guess there are a lot of young people out there who would have been Big Brother contestants who now don't know what to do with themselves :(

By the way, I was in hospital and heavily sedated and on very strong painkillers. That's why I watched all this guff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's already had one programme on BBC Three hasn't he?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, especially Ashes to Ashes because I was completely unaware of it and quite enjoyed Life on Mars!

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

Whoa, that's a lot of hatred there. I'm not a fan of Nick Grimshaw either, but I'm sure you recognise that he gets asked to front these channels and he says yes because he wants to further his career / pay the bills / get groupies / whatever. He could get all uppity and say 'no', but if he doesn't front the show, someone else will. BBC Three will plaster their face over some badly thought out show instead.

I think you might need to go and get some more painkillers, because BBC Three and its programmes aren't going anywhere soon....

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

CydonianKnight posted:

Whoa, that's a lot of hatred there. I'm not a fan of Nick Grimshaw either, but I'm sure you recognise that he gets asked to front these channels and he says yes because he wants to further his career / pay the bills / get groupies / whatever. He could get all uppity and say 'no', but if he doesn't front the show, someone else will. BBC Three will plaster their face over some badly thought out show instead.

I think you might need to go and get some more painkillers, because BBC Three and its programmes aren't going anywhere soon....

Why not give some unknowns a chance? It'd cost a lot less and who knows?! They may actually turn out to be talented people!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sex pervert posted:

Why not give some unknowns a chance? It'd cost a lot less and who knows?! They may actually turn out to be talented people!

No one's going to tune into to see Jonny P. Buttfuck host anything.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rarity posted:

No one's going to tune into to see Jonny P. Buttfuck host anything.

I'd bet lot of people would tune in if he was hosting a hot power bottom from Craigslist.

edit: I'd like to joke about how that's what we'll see next: an internet sex hook-up reality show. It could have a slapstick, Beadle's About slant with someone turning up with massively oversized genitalia or insisting on being hosed in their colostomy hole.

But every time I make suggestions like these, someone tells me they've already been done. On BBC3.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

sex pervert posted:

I'd bet lot of people would tune in if he was hosting a hot power bottom from Craigslist.

edit: I'd like to joke about how that's what we'll see next: an internet sex hook-up reality show. It could have a slapstick, Beadle's About slant with someone turning up with massively oversized genitalia or insisting on being hosed in their colostomy hole.

But every time I make suggestions like these, someone tells me they've already been done. On BBC3.

I think ITV might be trying this one with their Sunday night octogenarian offering.