Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

PhotoKirk posted:

So MY WIFE bought me a flight on the B-25 at the Lone Star Flight Museum. Anyone here been in a B-25? I'm hoping that we get to move around the plane and see the tail gun position, bombardier position, etc. I am stoked.

It's not likely you'll be able to move between the front and back halves since there isn't a catwalk or passage through the bomb bay. Definitely aim for the front so you can experience the nose and top turret if they have one. They are way crammed compared to a B-17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
crossposted,

This is pretty odd, an LP of various engine noises from the coldwar uploaded to the internet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...weapons/274760/

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

pbpancho posted:

It's not likely you'll be able to move between the front and back halves since there isn't a catwalk or passage through the bomb bay. Definitely aim for the front so you can experience the nose and top turret if they have one. They are way crammed compared to a B-17.

No top turret, looks like a J-model with the turret removed. I thought that there was a crawlspace over the bomb bay.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

PhotoKirk posted:

No top turret, looks like a J-model with the turret removed. I thought that there was a crawlspace over the bomb bay.

There is, technically, but it's very very tight, and I know the local CAF guys don't let people crawl through there.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The USS Drum has been going through renovations slowly over the years, and they've recently made a breakthrough on how to fund the renovations. They've rediscovered and have been removing and selling the 50-100lb lead bricks used in the hull as ballast. They've removed 116 tons so far, all of it by hand. They've had to chisel the blocks loose from 70+ years of rust, mud, and muck.

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/lead_recycling_nets_more_than.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The USS Drum has been going through renovations slowly over the years, and they've recently made a breakthrough on how to fund the renovations. They've rediscovered and have been removing and selling the 50-100lb lead bricks used in the hull as ballast. They've removed 116 tons so far, all of it by hand. They've had to chisel the blocks loose from 70+ years of rust, mud, and muck.

hah, that's amazing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Very cool. I stopped off there around 2006 or so and toured the Alabama, and looked at the sub from a distance...it was in really rough shape even back then.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Godholio posted:

Very cool. I stopped off there around 2006 or so and toured the Alabama, and looked at the sub from a distance...it was in really rough shape even back then.

I toured it in early 2010, if I recall correctly, and it was pretty neat. I'll try and see if I can find the pictures.

If you're ever around Mobile, it's definetely worth a look, they've even got an A-12 (Or an SR-71, either way, worth the price of admission).

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Yeah, it's been in rough shape for a long time. 30 years in the water without any sort of dry dock painting/repair left it in really rough shape when they moved it to its current location. The interior is generally in a lot better shape though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Someone posted a .pdf of Ignition! online. I remember the book being discussed earlier in this thread, figured someone else would be interested.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
All this talk of the USS Drum makes me want to go see it again.
It's only an hour from where I live, but I haven't been there in decades.

I will share some of my Cold War Library.
Have some official publications.

Gaming anyone?

Osprey Books

Other books bought at the time.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

ToyotaThong posted:

Gaming anyone?

What's up, SOVIET MILITARY POWER buddy! I have 1987 around here somewhere. I love how the entire book (pamphlet?) seems geared towards Scaring The poo poo Out of Congresspeople and Presidents.

"SOVIET MILITARY POWER 1987 posted:

"The Soviets are everywhere! They're building lasers! THey're building SPACE lasers! They're building space shotguns to defeat our space lasers! More funding! Fulda Gap! Fulda Gap! More funding! Mysterious shapes in Vladivostok harbor! Scary submarines! More Funding!"

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

What's up, SOVIET MILITARY POWER buddy! I have 1987 around here somewhere. I love how the entire book (pamphlet?) seems geared towards Scaring The poo poo Out of Congresspeople and Presidents.

No kidding. It was the best piece of Soviet propaganda outside of a May Day parade.

I was thinking about some rather unusual questions regarding nuclear war policy.

In the event of an ICBM/SLBM strike, would a government try to warn the populace?
With only 30 minutes to an hour, evacuation of a major population center would be impossible.
The panic caused could be more destructive than the attack itself (depending on the number of weapons used).
If there wasn't a general warning, would only "key" personel be evacuated?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Russian interview with a Syrian Army tanker, talking about their experience with the T-72M1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udH9uveEQOY

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I was flipping through a Tank Encyclopedia recently and it mentioned two American light tanks armed with the Ares 75mm hyper velocity cannon.
I was wondering if anyone had more information about these tanks and this cannon? I recall they didn't find any buyers and they could only sell it to NATO countries due to the cannon.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Looks like a death trap to me. I ain't never sittin' in no aluminium armoured vehicle. http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product4488.html

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Sjurygg posted:

Looks like a death trap to me. I ain't never sittin' in no aluminium armoured vehicle. http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product4488.html

so no bradley, sheridan or M113?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Flikken posted:

so no bradley, sheridan or M113?

Or LVTP7

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

ToyotaThong posted:

Gaming anyone?

Osprey Books

Other books bought at the time.

Somewhere I have a tote containing my old role playing games, Twilight 2000, Traveller, Star Frontiers and 1st and 2nd Ed AD&D. My copy of Eldritch Wizardry was destroyed when my apartment was flooded. Some good memories even if they are a bit "hazy". :2bong:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

MG42 posted:

I was flipping through a Tank Encyclopedia recently and it mentioned two American light tanks armed with the Ares 75mm hyper velocity cannon.
I was wondering if anyone had more information about these tanks and this cannon? I recall they didn't find any buyers and they could only sell it to NATO countries due to the cannon.
I don't have any information about that system, but if memory serves correct, this was a competitor.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Gonna do a Twilight:2000-esque game in TD very, very soon. You guys should get in on it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Oxford Comma posted:

Gonna do a Twilight:2000-esque game in TD very, very soon. You guys should get in on it.

I assume you mean TG? and what game system where you going to use?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

"The Soviets are everywhere! They're building lasers! THey're building SPACE lasers! They're building space shotguns to defeat our space lasers! More funding! Fulda Gap! Fulda Gap! More funding! Mysterious shapes in Vladivostok harbor! Scary submarines! More Funding!"

Caspar Weinberger?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

MG42 posted:

Hyper velocity cannon is an awesome term.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Hyper velocity cannon is an awesome term.

Which is exactly the reason why I was interested by it. Sounded like some crazy Cold War project.

Thanks for the information guys, answered some of the questions I had.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Beardless posted:

Better be actual Twilight 2000. If it's not, I is uninterested. If it's Twilight 2000, I may be convinced to get in the basement and dust off my dice.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I remember the original Twilight 2000 system as being akin to a playing a game based around filling out a day planner while rolling a die for every conceivable part of the act of firing a gun.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember the original Twilight 2000 system as being akin to a playing a game based around filling out a day planner while rolling a die for every conceivable part of the act of firing a gun.

Pretty much this.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Beardless posted:

Either the original Twilight 2000 rules or, hehehe, GURPS.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Having skimmed the original Twilight 2k system, it reminds me of a post-apocalyptic Shadowrun or D&D 3.5, which is a fairly damning indictment of modern RPG design when you remember T2K came out in 1984.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Oxford Comma posted:

Either the original Twilight 2000 rules or, hehehe, GURPS.

If you ran that in GURPS 4th edition i'd be all over that. GURPS is pretty much all I play these days.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Having skimmed the original Twilight 2k system, it reminds me of a post-apocalyptic Shadowrun or D&D 3.5, which is a fairly damning indictment of modern RPG design when you remember T2K came out in 1984.

Twilight:2000 2nd Ed. is still my favorite.

Then there is this.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Beardless posted:

If you ran that in GURPS 4th edition i'd be all over that. GURPS is pretty much all I play these days.

I'm about 93% sure it'll be GURPS.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dead Reckoning posted:

Someone posted a .pdf of Ignition! online. I remember the book being discussed earlier in this thread, figured someone else would be interested.

Thanks for posting this, but for some reason I can't read the actual document.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm about 93% sure it'll be GURPS.

Awesome, let me know when you're ready to go. I'll have to look at the setting, my understanding is that the original game at least was about US soldiers stuck in Europe after the Cold War goes hot.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Beardless posted:

Awesome, let me know when you're ready to go. I'll have to look at the setting, my understanding is that the original game at least was about US soldiers stuck in Europe after the Cold War goes hot.

Pretty much that.

Fragmented parts of the army with massive military might (and no logistics) move slowly through the landscape of Eastern Europe looking for fuel and munitions and periodically get asked by scared and IED laden village people to help them address an EVIL THREAT as well as hold the potential for gaining more fuel and ammo.

Rinse, repeat.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Beardless posted:

As Polish units began to overrun the Division HQ, the Division commander radioed in the clear to all units: "Good luck, you're on your own."

Also, as much as I loved Twilight 2000, 2300AD was -the poo poo- and I wish it was still in print. :smith:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you actually start recruitment, I'll be more than willing to join up, given I've got steady housing and such by then.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is Twilight the system that had the dispersion overlays for gunfire? I remember one of those games having them in the back of the book where you would lay it over the appropriate outline and roll the percentage dice to see where your shot went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Sign me up too. Its been years since I've "visited" Krakow.