Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Definitely agree with flaps, I used to use both forum/favourite tabs as an easy way to browse two separate sections, and I rarely use PMs, so now I have a useless tab reducing usability. It would be nice to be able to get rid of the PM tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

pokeyman posted:

That's a pretty bad regression, sorry about that. Is this consistent across all threads? Consistent between wifi and 4g?

It must have been a forums slowdown, now it's much better. Still a tad slower than the last version but not that noticeable. I'm on an ipad 3 over wifi.

In general though this update is good!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
n/m, uninstalled and reinstalled and all is good

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 20, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Kept forgetting to mention it but clicking the "Posted by " often overshoots the quoted post and just lands on another one a couple above, although it only seems to happen when a page hasn't been viewed before and wouldn't be cached. Happened in the last version and still happens in this version.

Terminal Entropy posted:

How fixed were the spoilers fixed in the last update? Ran into one today that didn't work right
:nws:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3460168&perpage=40&pagenumber=411#post413145105

Spoilers second fix is fixed now.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Just want to pop in and say that this app is great and it is by far the most used on my phone. Thanks everyone who has worked on it!

One suggestion for future iterations:
SALR gives the option of having threads with unread posts be automatically sorted to the top of the forum when you load the page - I find that incredibly useful and would love to see that option on the Awful app. Right now sometimes having to scroll past 20-30 threads to find my threads with unread posts is a bit tedious.

But really, I love this app, and thanks again to everyone who had worked so hard to put it out!

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I love this app. It is the one I use the most. However, I don't have PMs. That tab is now useless to me. I would like the option to turn it back to favorites as that is a shortcut I really enjoyed.

Also, where is the option to disable avatars?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Kept forgetting to mention it but clicking the "Posted by " often overshoots the quoted post and just lands on another one a couple above, although it only seems to happen when a page hasn't been viewed before and wouldn't be cached. Happened in the last version and still happens in this version.

The annoyance of this bug is overshadowed only by how annoying it'll be to fix! It's on the list.

butros posted:

SALR gives the option of having threads with unread posts be automatically sorted to the top of the forum when you load the page - I find that incredibly useful and would love to see that option on the Awful app. Right now sometimes having to scroll past 20-30 threads to find my threads with unread posts is a bit tedious.

You are certainly not alone in wanting this feature. It's on the list, now with greater emphasis!

mistressminako posted:

I love this app. It is the one I use the most. However, I don't have PMs. That tab is now useless to me. I would like the option to turn it back to favorites as that is a shortcut I really enjoyed.

Also, where is the option to disable avatars?

Favorites now sit atop the Forums list, so that should be about as accessible as it was before. Remember you can tap the status bar to jump to the top of a list.

The 'Show Avatars' setting has moved to the little settings sheet in the posts screen: tap the 'Big-A little-A' button in the bottom right.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

pokeyman posted:

You are certainly not alone in wanting this feature. It's on the list, now with greater emphasis!

:neckbeard:

Thanks again - it really is a great app!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

If you implement this please have the option to only have it on in the bookmarked threads and not in the forums at large. SALR Chrome doesn't have that option and it drives me crazy.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you implement this please have the option to only have it on in the bookmarked threads and not in the forums at large. SALR Chrome doesn't have that option and it drives me crazy.

Agreed. It would also be great if it put all your unread bookmarked threads at the top, not just from the first page. SALR doesn't do that either so it might not be feasible, but if it is that'd be brilliant.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Agreed. It would also be great if it put all your unread bookmarked threads at the top, not just from the first page. SALR doesn't do that either so it might not be feasible, but if it is that'd be brilliant.

That would definitely be ideal, and it's technically possible. I'll have to think on it.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

pokeyman posted:

Favorites now sit atop the Forums list, so that should be about as accessible as it was before. Remember you can tap the status bar to jump to the top of a list.

The 'Show Avatars' setting has moved to the little settings sheet in the posts screen: tap the 'Big-A little-A' button in the bottom right.
Thanks. I spent much too long trying to find the option to disable avatars :ohdear: App works well and loads threads in a handful of seconds on my ipod 4th gen. I also had to delete and reinstall the app this morning to get it to load correctly.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Just updated to the new version and when I go to make a reply a few lines get cut off at the top so when I first start typing I can't see anything. I have to hit return a few times. I can't scroll up to fix it, it's like the first lines are getting covered by the title bar.

Here's an example. I wanna edit this guys quote to take out the picture but I can't scroll up enough to do it.

This was probably already mentioned but following this whole thread can get pretty hard so, you know, if someone already mentioned it consider this a +1.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

That would definitely be ideal, and it's technically possible. I'll have to think on it.

I'm quoting this fine gentleman only to announce that while you've been downloading and installing Awful 1.11 over the last 24 hours or so, he's already cranked out TWO betas with bug fixes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the new reply icon is well chosen compared to the "email compose" icon and I'm not sure the Aa button belongs in the thread view instead of the options menu.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reply button looks like a "back" arrow to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I was never a fan of that icon for those reasons. It's apple's "reply" icon but it really doesn't convey that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same in gmail. I don't know why reply is a left arrow and forward is a right arrow.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Haven't you heard the saying "getting back to you"? In English we read left to right, hence left curved arrow to imply motion backwards.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

slomomofo posted:

Haven't you heard the saying "getting back to you"? In English we read left to right, hence left curved arrow to imply motion backwards.

Sure but that's counter to a decade of web browsers using left/right arrows for navigation.

Actually now re-reading I can't tell which system you're advocating.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 20, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

The slow speeds were apparently forum related so apologies for false bug report. This however is an actual bug I mentioned before. I see it on the iPad now a days. Haven't seen it on the iPhone. It happens to me with the usenet thread. What happens is that when there are new post to that thread, I tap on it to load up the new post and immediately I get a duplicate thread banner in the bookmark list. This banner also doesn't have an updated post count to reflect that I have read the latest post.

Thanks for all the hard work on this app, now a days I don't even like visiting the forums on browser.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

The slow speeds were apparently forum related so apologies for false bug report. This however is an actual bug I mentioned before. I see it on the iPad now a days. Haven't seen it on the iPhone. It happens to me with the usenet thread. What happens is that when there are new post to that thread, I tap on it to load up the new post and immediately I get a duplicate thread banner in the bookmark list. This banner also doesn't have an updated post count to reflect that I have read the latest post.

I was sure I'd finally fixed this :( have you noticed it with other threads, or does there seem to be something special about the usenet thread? I know you've mentioned before but maybe something's changed.

And I'm glad the big slowness resolved itself, thanks for following up.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It only happens with the usenet thread for me. I don't know if there is anything special about that thread but its the only one that it happens to. I have tried de-bookmarking the thread and adding it again but still happens. Force closing the app and deletion and reinstalling haven't fixed it either. It used to happen on both the phone and iPad but now a days it's only on the iPad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

slomomofo posted:

In English we read left to right, hence left curved arrow to imply motion backwards.

If the button has to be an arrow then it sounds like right arrow should be the button that you push to continue the conversation. "Get back to this person" isn't what I am thinking when I want to reply to someone.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 20, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

If the button has to be an arrow then it sounds like right arrow should be the button that you push to continue the conversation. "Get back to this person" isn't what I am thinking when I want to reply to someone.

I chose it because it's iOS's standard "reply" button. I'm not totally sure "reply" is the most accurate verb here, despite the Forums referring to what you'd be writing as a "reply". "Compose" probably makes more sense.

I didn't go with the standard "compose" button because we use that in the PM list, and for some reason I thought it was worth having different icons. Sort of a subtle cue to say "you're writing a PM" or "you're replying to a thread". I'm not sure what lead to that thinking; there are several (much more obvious) visual indications that you're writing a PM or replying to a thread.

In general, once we decide what action a button enacts, we need a good reason to avoid the standard icon.

I have no idea if any of that is useful or interesting, but that's why it's an arrow pointing left.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Cracked Reader app has a nice way of changing around its buttons:

Could try something similar for the case of people wanting/not wanting PMs/favs/anything down the road.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's actually basic behavior that the music app has had I think forever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I have no idea if any of that is useful or interesting, but that's why it's an arrow pointing left.

Don't mind me, I'm just whining because the standard icon has never made sense to me.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm getting a strange bug with the new favorites. If I edit them to be in the order I want, as soon as I hit "done" they go back to the order they were in before I dragged them around.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm getting a strange bug with the new favorites. If I edit them to be in the order I want, as soon as I hit "done" they go back to the order they were in before I dragged them around.

I'm having this, but not when I hit "done". It's just that every time I start up the app, they're in a different (probably the same every time) order than I left them.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Is the app supposed to be crashing every time I open it? Because that's what it's been doing since the update (I haven't been able to open it at all). :( Any ways to make this stop?

E: vvv alright, suspected as much. Will do so.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 21, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tardigrade posted:

Is the app supposed to be crashing every time I open it? Because that's what it's been doing since the update (I haven't been able to open it at all). :( Any ways to make this stop?

This is a feature.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Tardigrade posted:

Delete it and reinstall it. Happened to me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Found a bug. I recently deleted a bunch of PMs via my PC browser, but they are still showing up in the app inbox. Attempting to open one of these PMs crashes the app.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just realized my favorites will not stay in the order I want them in, no matter what.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I noticed a little bug with the highlight mention option. When its turned ON my username will be highlighted at the top of each of my posts. It doesn't seem to differentiate between someone else mentioning or quoting me and my name on the nameplate / avatar bar.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 21, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks for the bug reports! Everything up to here is on the list.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bummey posted:

I noticed a little bug with the highlight mention option. When its turned ON my username will be highlighted at the top of each of my posts. It doesn't seem to differentiate between someone else mentioning or quoting me and my name on the nameplate / avatar bar.

I'm having trouble replicating this bug. Is there any chance you use a custom CSS file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
That name highlighting happens to me too, I assumed it was a feature :shrug:

pokeyman posted:

Is there any chance you use a custom CSS file?
I don't

• Locked thread