Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ratedargh posted:

Alexander Nevsky has...a spotty score

Dude. It's one of the best classical scores of the 20th century. Try listening to a contemporary performance of it with good sound.

Ratedargh posted:

Despite the narrative flaws, it is a beautifully photographed film. The opening images of skeletons, both human and animal, littering the landscape is chilling. It is foreboding and warns of what has occurred before and what will follow.

It's been years since I read a couple of Eisenstein bios but if memory serves, that imagery was straight out of something Eisenstein saw when he was a kid. There was some kind of conflict going on and he passed by this massive grave full of bones. It stuck with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

escape artist posted:

I'm going to add some musicals to my list too. I've got three movies on hold and that's why I haven't been in the thread for a while. Also I've been plowing through books recently.

If anyone is interested, Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters, and 7 other movies are up for free on Hulu for the next 8 days.

http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/criterion-picks-spectacular-set-design

Anyone seen anything that is a must-watch on there?

Well.. all of them. But mostly The Ballad of Narayama and Thief of Baghdad.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Ratedargh posted:

1920s - Steamboat Bill Jr. (1928) - I think I'm starting to develop a rhythm with Keaton. Let's see if I'm right.

Watch this!

Gushing Granny posted:

Seaniqua: Watch Full Metal Jacket. My favourite war movie and you can definitely tell it's Kubrick.

Been a long time since I posted in this thread, but school is finally slowing down for the semester so I got off my rear end and watched Full Metal Jacket. Holy poo poo, it might be my favorite war movie, too. The first act at basic training starts off as almost funny, with Ermey going crazy on these guys. By the end of the basic training sequence I found myself asking a lot of questions of the process. There's a moment where Ermey says something about Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman being enabled by marine training - it's no wonder "Pyle" loses his loving mind. If you train a bunch of dudes to be highly efficient killers, you risk robbing them of at least some of their humanity.

I thought that informed the rest of the film, as well. At the beginning, killing is an abstract idea that the marines are being trained in. They all end up with different ideas about war and killing, which was sometimes specifically stated out loud ("the duality of humanity" or something like that, that Joker says). I thought there was a nice parallel between the scene where the men are standing around two dead marines, saying their last words and the scene where they are standing around the dying Vietnamese sniper girl. That morality is set side by side with the question of whether they should even be in Vietnam. I was happy with the resolution of this film, with Joker using killing as a form of mercy, and being happy to be alive.

Really great, and I'm still thinking about it.

Updated list:

1.) The Color Purple. Keeping Spielberg on the list.

2.) Rocky. I've seen Rocky IV and Rocky V (blech) all the way through, but no other Rocky movie.

3.) New! Spartacus. Running out of Kubrick movies to watch. I was really blown away by Full Metal Jacket, so I wanted to keep him on the list.

4.) Gone With the Wind. For some reason I had equated this movie to Casablanca, but the wife and I watched that a couple weeks ago. For some reason I thought the dude with the big ears was in Casablanca. He is not.

5.) Psycho(1960). Keeping Hitchcock on the list. Saw the shower scene when I was a kid and scared the pants off me. Time to face that childhood fear.

6.) The Wizard of Oz. Going through AFI's top 100, Oz sits at 6. I'm 100% positive that I've seen every part of this movie, but I've never sat down and watched it all the way through. No better time than now.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sunset Blvd. Another from AFI's top 100. I know nothing about this movie - I know it's old. Maybe it has a blonde in it?

9.) To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book in middle school, and we might have even watched the movie but I don't remember it so I'm putting it on the list. I'm familiar with the story, and AFI lists this as their #1 courtroom drama.

10.) Magnolia. Since the last time I posted in this thread, I've seen every PTA movie except this one.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai, Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs, Yojimbo, Lawrence of Arabia, A Clockwork Orange, Raging Bull, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, The Incredibles, The Sixth Sense, North by Northwest, Braveheart, Monsters, Inc, Full Metal Jacket

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
poo poo, I just randomly dropped out of this a couple of years ago and still feel bad about it. I'm really bad about sticking to things. Gonna try it again, no harm no foul I suppose. New list:

Short Cuts - I swear this is like my white whale. Ostensibly I really really really want to see it. I just...haven't. I got it from Netflix and let it sit for literally a year (I eventually cancelled my disc service because of poo poo like that). So. Somebody yell at me to watch it already.

Tokyo Godfathers - I've seen very little anime, but all of Satoshi Kon's other films, and loved each of them. This is the only one left.

Kieslowski's Three Colors - I love The Double Life of Veronique. I think The Decalogue is great. I own this trilogy on blu-ray. Why haven't I watched it? Your guess is as good as mine. Plus, if you pick this, three films for the price of one.

Malcolm X - Admittedly, I've kind of meant to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X before seeing this, but I doubt watching this first would at all impede my enjoyment of the book later down the road.

Gates of Heaven - I still haven't seen any Errol Morris, years and years after being exposed to him by Ebert's review of this film. Having just put down my cat of 17 years yesterday, there's probably no better time to watch this film.

Blue - The Derek Jarman film. The conceit of this film alone fascinates me, though I imagine it's every bit as easy to hate as to love. Of Jarman's work, I've only seen Caravaggio, but it's excellent.

Gomorrah - Pretty big fan of mob movies in general, and I've always wanted to know more about the actual Italian mafia (though, for the pedants, this is about the Camorra as distinct from the much more famous Cosa Nostra - the more you know!).

Adaptation. - Nic Cage + Charlie Kaufman? Enticing.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - One of the more glaring holes in my lineup of unseen westerns. I actually started to watch this years ago but the DVD kept skipping, and I have yet to revisit it.

United 93 - Seems hard to stomach, but I imagine it's rather essential.

-----

Oh, and Seaniqua - go ahead and watch...Magnolia. Sunset Blvd. is impossibly perfect and it was hard to pass it up, but Magnolia just puts such a huge grin on my face.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Criminal Minded, Adaptation is my favorite of the Kaufmann films. Enjoy.

Airplane! was intermittently hilarious. Many of the jokes failed just because I knew them through popular culture, but there were plenty that fell flat all on their own. The first twenty minutes or so of the movie were tedious and unfunny. Once the plane got in the air, the movie really hit its stride, and there were quite a few moments I laughed out loud. Also, I didn't realize how many 50's B-movie stars were in this- I knew Leslie Nielsen, but not Peter Graves and Robert Stack. The fact that they know how to play straight such silly material is key to this movie working, which it mostly does.

Rating: 3.5/4

66. Dr. Zhivago- For the historical epic slot, we move from sand to snow. Also, more WWI, this time from the Russian perspective, which I like even more.

75. Tokyo Story- What is this? I have no idea what this is, but I keep seeing it on best of lists.

77. Leaving Las Vegas- Like I said, I've always liked Nick Cage, so let's see his Oscar performance.

83. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang- So, I don't know. This is like - a noir, but not a noir? A parody, kind of but not really? Robert Downey Jr.? I'm confused, but I'm told I'll like it.

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

86. Big Trouble in Little China- Wait, this is by John Carpenter? I love John Carpenter! How have I missed this?

87. Out of Africa- I have seen this once, but all I remember is being really bored. But I was younger then, and my tastes weren't as developed, so I'm willing to give it another try.

88. American Psycho- You know the meme, now watch the movie!

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jurgan, you're watching Tokyo Story.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Light, innocent, mildly entertaining. I appreciate that it strays away from the typical coming-of-age fare we saw so much in the 80s. Instead we have a larger than life high schooler that can do no wrong and seems to put everyone else's lives in perspective. Kind of interesting, I guess. The problem here is that this is one of those movies that requires you to be a certain age in order to love it, and I'm afraid to say that ship has sailed for me on this one. 69

My list:

Les enfants du paradis - I don't particularly care for mimes but I'll give this a shot.

Ordet - I love Dreyer.

Viridiana - Time to see what all the controversy is about.

Amarcord - Can't have too much Fellini.

The Mirror - Sounds heavy and introspective. I'm game.

Bringing Up Baby - This is my mom's favorite movie, which is perhaps a reason I haven't seen it yet...

L'Age d'Or - Time for some more Bunuel.

Late Spring - If this is as good as Tokyo Story I'll be happy.

Nashville - I'm still on the fence about Altman. Maybe this will sway me?

Greed - One of the most famous silents I haven't seen. Whoever picks this will need to recommend which cut to watch.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

caiman posted:

The problem here is that this is one of those movies that requires you to be a certain age in order to love it, and I'm afraid to say that ship has sailed for me on this one. 69

Yup, this was my concern, figured the sooner I recommended it to you, the better. You're only getting older!

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 21, 2013

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

caiman posted:

Late Spring - If this is as good as Tokyo Story I'll be happy.

I personally think it's better!

Ossessione - Sue me, but I'm not the biggest neorealism fan, and I've seen enough of them that I doubt anything will change that. That out of the way, I really enjoyed this. I'm not sure why though. Perhaps it is because feels so pure, despite a story straight from an American noir. It doesn't feel like its just a part of a movement, it is clear that it practically started it (along with Open City, which I didn't really care for.) Everything else about this movie is simply just solid, with interesting characters, steady pacing and an interesting, even if not unique, narrative. If I have a complaint its that it could've been shorter without losing much if anything.

The SHAME LIST

by Reputation/Top Lists

Sholay (2/16/13) - Called the best Indian film ever made, but I never saw one I liked so far unless directed by Ray.

Force of Evil (2/26/13) - In a lot of top lists but I know nothing about it. It's a noir I think?

Odd Man Out - I need to see more Carol Reed.

Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (3/9/13) - I've heard of it, but that's all

The Dark Knight Rises (4/19/13) - I was let down by The Dark Knight, but I don't want to be the only person in the world not to have seen it.

The Naked Kiss (4/20/13) - Reminded from another user's list. Not a huge Fuller fan, though I liked Pickup on South Street.

By Directors I love

A Lesson in Love (2/27/13) - A Bergman I haven't seen.

Once a Time in Anatolia (3/7/13)- Also inspired by a user's list... to be honest I didn't even realize it existed.

Ulysses' Gaze (4/14/14) - I know an older post claimed this to be super boring but I have loved two of Angelopoulos films I've seen (Landscape in the Mist and Eternity and a Day) and really liked another (The Travelling Players).

Other

Romeo and Juliet (Zeffirelli, 1968) (4/16/13) I haven't seen any of his Shakespeare adaptations but I hear good things.

Unshamed: The Artist (8/10) - Cat Ballou (5/10) - Soylent Green (5/10) - Cabiria (8/10) - The Lower Depths [1957] (6/10) - Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (7/10) - Chariots of Fire (4/10) - Before Sunset (9/10) - The English Patient (2/10) - City Slickers (2/10) - Saturday Night Fever (5/10) - Germany Year Zero (8/10) - Spellbound (6/10) - Julius Caesar [1953] (7/10) - In The Realm of the Senses (3/10) - Footloose (3/10) - The Bank Dick (2/10) - Moonstruck (5/10) - The Karate Kid (3/10) - Yol (7/10) - Mandingo (2/10) - Jailhouse Rock (5/10) - Senso (5/10) - Fantomas - À l'ombre de la guillotine (6/10) - The Turin Horse (10/10) - Flashdance (3/10) - Highlander (2/10) - Black God, White Devil (5/10) - The Thief of Bagdad (6/10) - Cave of Forgotten Dreams (5/10) - The Quiet Man (2/10) - The Wolf Man (5/10) - Man of Aran (5/10) - Howards End (8/10) - Brave (5/10) - Ossessione (8/10)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Chili posted:

Yup, this was my concern, figured the sooner I recommended it to you, the better. You're only getting older!

Yeah, it's definitely a movie I wish I had seen in middle school or high school. I could imagine seeing Ferris as nothing short of a god 16 years ago.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I had that issue when I saw Kids and Gummo in my mid twenties.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Scott Pilgrim was a movie that I knew I would have loved if I saw it when I was younger and actually spent a lot of time gaming, but felt like I had outgrown when I first watched it.

F Stop Fitzgerald you get Odd Man Out because Carol Reed Rules.
I don't have a lot to say about The Prestige but I certainly did enjoy it. The storyline about an increasingly escalated feud between between two magicians was good. Bale and Jackman were both completely consumed by their desire to one up each other and discover each others secrets, and they seemed to have complete disregard for all others.

I was a complete "howdhedothat" at a lot of the magic tricks throughout, and I found myself rewinding a few parts just to see if I could catch any clues. It's a very plot-based movie, and I'm sure it's been analyzed to death, like all of Nolan's films. This is one I plan on purchasing soon, because I do feel that it is the type of movie that has re-watch value.

The List of Shame

1. Witness for the Prosecution: More courtroom drama

2. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

3. Five Easy Pieces: One of the more important films of the New Hollywood movement.

4. Gaslight: This is one of the more famous noirs, so I feel I need to see it.

5. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

6. The Magnificent Ambersons: I enjoyed Citizen Kane, so I should see more works from Welles.

7. True Lies: This is kind of different from the rest of the list. I really like Arnie's movies from around this time, but I can just never bring myself around to watch this.

8. Some Like it Hot: Billy Wilder and Marilyn Monroe get another shot.

9. Life is Beautiful: 90's movie about a guy who brightens his son's day with comedy. Sounds great.

10. Amelie: I recall seeing this one in the video stores (back when those existed) but despite it's eye catching cover I never had the desire to rent it.

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, The Prestige

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It also has the greatest casting coup ever, aka David Bowie as Tesla.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

caiman posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a movie I wish I had seen in middle school or high school. I could imagine seeing Ferris as nothing short of a god 16 years ago.

My 7th grade English teacher showed that in class. That's the kind of stuff you remember.

escape artist posted:

I had that issue when I saw Kids and Gummo in my mid twenties.

You mean you wanted to see them when you were younger?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

3. Five Easy Pieces: One of the more important films of the New Hollywood movement.

Even almost a year after watching it, this one continues to peak its way into my mind fairly often. I like it more with every passing week.

"That must have happened when the dough fell in the toolbox."

Maybe it's because I'm finally getting my sea legs for Buster Keaton, but I enjoyed Steamboat Bill, Jr. more than the others I've seen. It's hilarious throughout and has some nice, tender moments. It was the most entertained I've been by him, though it's inspiring me to give both The General and Sherlock Jr. second looks. The bit in the jail is my favourite Keaton scene yet. His relationship with his father is full of slapstick and truth. The disappointment a father feels when his son doesn't fit the mould he carved for him can be palpable. It's overcoming it and finding love and acceptance for who the son is that really matters. This film is more about his father's journey through those emotions but told through the son's evolution as a person.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Nosferatu (1922) - I saw Herzog's remake and I saw Shadow of the Vampire. Time to see where it all began.

1930s - A Night at the Opera (1935) - I really didn't like Duck Soup all that much so I've been wary of the Marx Brothers. Figured I should give them a second go.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Mon Oncle (1958) - I liked M. Hulot's Holiday more in hindsight and I want to see more of Tati's work.

1960s - The Naked Kiss (1964) - Let's get into some Samuel Fuller ya'll.

1970s - Days of Heaven (1978) - Only Malick movie I haven't seen. Or, at least I don't think I've seen. I watched clips in a university class years ago. Don't think I saw all of it.

1980s - The Killer (1989) - Woo's Hong Kong work is better than his American work...right?

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - I love Miyazaki and I've been told this is pretty good.

Bonus/Random - The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - This just oozes cool from what I've read. I keep meaning to see it.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr. (TOTAL: 129)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ratedargh, no contest watch Days of Heaven.

So I finally got my hands on Le Samourai and while I did enjoy it I felt it had been too hyped up for me. Melville paces his films very methodically, and normally he pulls it off well, but I felt like Le Samourai really started feeling it's length after awhile. There's plenty of scenes where it works perfectly, but other times the film started crawling. Still, there's plenty that works for the film - the characters, the dialogue, the music (and the silence). I see how it influenced Ghost Dog now as well.

My List:

Marat/Sade - I've never heard of this until just recently, but it sounds really good and Criticker thinks I'll like it. (Added 5/3/2012)

Rio Bravo - John Wayne's not my favorite but I've heard only good things so I'll give it a shot. (Added 7/7/2012)

A Woman Under The Influence - Is this a good place to start with Cassavetes? I've never seen any of his films. (Added 7/23/2012)

His Girl Friday - Is Cary Grant going to Cary Grant it up in this? (Added 8/7/2012)

Jules et Jim - Started to watch this about a year ago but I was really tired so I took a nap instead. Never got back to it. (Added 10/5/2012)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Haven't seen Stewart in a Western before. (Added 10/12/2012)

L'Age D'or - Some early Bunuel. I think Dali was involved with this too so I'm on board. (Added 3/11/2013)

The Grapes of Wrath - I should probably go for a classic western given the discussion, but I'm gonna go with a different John Ford film. (Added 3/15/13)

Strike - I've loved the Eisenstein I've seen so far. (Added 3/19/13)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Rewatching Jurassic Park made me remember I still haven't seen this. Need some more Spielberg in my life. (Added 4/21/13)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï (TOTAL: 48)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

You mean you wanted to see them when you were younger?

I felt like I was beyond the age to enjoy them or relate to them

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Haven't seen Stewart in a Western before. (Added 10/12/2012)

Hopefully this, possibly my favorite Ford, can lead you to other Stewart Westerns as well.

L'Atalante (1934): What a great film that captures the irrationality, the struggle, and most importantly the unhinged wonder & joy of young love. It's romantic, funny, and downright daring in both its craft and its content. One shot feels downright structuralistic in the way it evokes the feeling of the camera moving while actually remaining static. I'm having a hard time describing what makes the romance so compelling, as it is both startlingly intimate, like when the lovers hunger for one another in bed when they are separated, and also distant, like when they embrace and whisper to one another but we don't hear what they say. On top of nailing this tone, there are really hilarious ancillary comedy pieces featuring the drunken boat crewman and his little companion. And then there's also really great music throughout the whole picture. Man, this is my kind of movie. 90/100

1. The Double Life of Véronique: I don't know a lot about this other than that it's by Three Colors dude.

2. Hiroshima, Mon Amour: Resnais owns, so I should probably watch more of his stuff.

3. Ace in the Hole: I'm way the hell behind on my Wilder, but everything I watch I love.

4. The Best Years of Our Lives: I go where Myrna goes.

5. The Bad Sleep Well: There's always more Kurosawa, until there isn't, I guess.

6. Faust: I was thinking the other day about how cool I thought Murnau was despite having only seen two of his movies.

7. Harlan County, USA: I was sick the day they showed this in college and I always regretted missing it.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. The Battle of Algiers: I've neglected this one despite various recommendations from lots of trustworthy folk.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II (95), City of God (95), Paths of Glory (85), North by Northwest (95), The Bridge on the River Kwai (90), Fanny and Alexander (100), 8 1/2 (85), The Rules of the Game (80), His Girl Friday (75), The Wages of Fear (90), Rashomon (95), Stroszek (90), The French Connection (85), Singin' in the Rain (95), Cries and Whispers (90), Grand Illusion (95), Gaslight (85), Aliens (80), Wild Strawberries (90), Scenes from a Marriage (85), M (75), Tokyo Story (80), Blue Velvet (80), Nashville (90), The Great Dictator (85), Forbidden Planet (100), Satantango (85), The Apartment (70), Shane (85), Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (90), Harakiri (90), Mulholland Dr. (90), The Hidden Fortress (85), Three Colors: Blue (90), Nostalghia (85), Throne of Blood (90), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (90), The Color of Pomegranates (70), Yi Yi (85), The Exterminating Angel (80), L'Atalante (90)

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 22, 2013

Boatfort
Dec 22, 2012
Alright, Kull the Conqueror, give Hiroshima, Mon Amour a shot. Watched it in a New Wave French film class. It's a very interesting movie.

City of God:

I LOVED this movie; definitely one of the best I've seen in a long while. The subject matter was disturbing and difficult to digest at times, but the regular injection of lighthearted moments and relative humor made it manageable.

By objective measures, the entire world presented within the movie is bad, overrun by criminals, and seemingly beyond redemption, but the complex intertwining of all of the characters' different stories (the stories of Knockout Ned and Otto stand out) allowed for the championing of certain characters and morals over others, and created a tone of candid acceptance.

The other thing I really liked was how, given the complex web of stories that contributed to the story, and the retrospective details that were presented at key moments, I felt like I never quite knew the whole story. It kept me interested and made me think more deeply about the intentions and motivations of each character.

Yep, great movie. I want to watch it again this week.

Rating: 10/10

1. 21 Grams - This movie is described as "non-linear." I can get into that.

2. The Great Escape -I always like WWII movies, but have only seen the dramatic ones that make you cry. Happy to explore another side of one of my favorite subject matters.

3. The Killer -I saw the trailer for this as part of a collection of Tarantino's favorites. It looked like a pretty kickass gangster movie, complete with ample shootouts and even tearjerker moments.

4. Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels -I saw Snatch, and enjoyed it. I heard that this is a better version of that.

5. Se7en -Brad Pitt seems to have good choice in movies, and he's beautiful to boot.

6. Man on Wire -I'm usually a fan of documentaries about people doing random things. Heard this one was good.

7. The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys -I don't know anything about this film, but a friend demanded that it go on this list. Here it is.

8. The Brothers Bloom -I'm a big Adrien Brody fan.

9. *Sins of My Father* -I was telling my dad about City of God, and he recommended this as a follow-up.

10. Looper -I remember seeing the trailer for this and thinking it looked interesting. Everyone I've spoken to about it since has said positive things.

Watched: The Big Lebowski, City of God

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Boatfort posted:

5. Se7en -Brad Pitt seems to have good choice in movies, and he's beautiful to boot.

My favorite by David Fincher. Enjoy.

Odd Man Out - A decent film, but it seems nearly impossible not to compare it to the incredible The Third Man. James Mason is good but perhaps a little miscast, and he doesn't command the screen the way you'd want him to. I wasn't terribly interested in the story either, but the photography was so stunning that it more than made up for it.

The SHAME LIST

by Reputation/Top Lists

Sholay (2/16/13) - Called the best Indian film ever made, but I never saw one I liked so far unless directed by Ray.

Force of Evil (2/26/13) - In a lot of top lists but I know nothing about it. It's a noir I think?

Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (3/9/13) - I've heard of it, but that's all

The Dark Knight Rises (4/19/13) - I was let down by The Dark Knight, but I don't want to be the only person in the world not to have seen it.

The Naked Kiss (4/20/13) - Reminded from another user's list. Not a huge Fuller fan, though I liked Pickup on South Street.

Argo (4/21/13) - Any Best Picture winner I haven't seen is shameful to me.

By Directors I love

A Lesson in Love (2/27/13) - A Bergman I haven't seen.

Once a Time in Anatolia (3/7/13)- Also inspired by a user's list... to be honest I didn't even realize it existed.

Ulysses' Gaze (4/14/14) - I know an older post claimed this to be super boring but I have loved two of Angelopoulos films I've seen (Landscape in the Mist and Eternity and a Day) and really liked another (The Travelling Players).

Other

Romeo and Juliet (Zeffirelli, 1968) (4/16/13) I haven't seen any of his Shakespeare adaptations but I hear good things.

Unshamed: The Artist (8/10) - Cat Ballou (5/10) - Soylent Green (5/10) - Cabiria (8/10) - The Lower Depths [1957] (6/10) - Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (7/10) - Chariots of Fire (4/10) - Before Sunset (9/10) - The English Patient (2/10) - City Slickers (2/10) - Saturday Night Fever (5/10) - Germany Year Zero (8/10) - Spellbound (6/10) - Julius Caesar [1953] (7/10) - In The Realm of the Senses (3/10) - Footloose (3/10) - The Bank Dick (2/10) - Moonstruck (5/10) - The Karate Kid (3/10) - Yol (7/10) - Mandingo (2/10) - Jailhouse Rock (5/10) - Senso (5/10) - Fantomas - À l'ombre de la guillotine (6/10) - The Turin Horse (10/10) - Flashdance (3/10) - Highlander (2/10) - Black God, White Devil (5/10) - The Thief of Bagdad (6/10) - Cave of Forgotten Dreams (5/10) - The Quiet Man (2/10) - The Wolf Man (5/10) - Man of Aran (5/10) - Howards End (8/10) - Brave (5/10) - Ossessione (8/10) - Odd Man Out (6/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Odd Man Out - A decent film, but it seems nearly impossible not to compare it to the incredible The Third Man. James Mason is good but perhaps a little miscast, and he doesn't command the screen the way you'd want him to. I wasn't terribly interested in the story either, but the photography was so stunning that it more than made up for it.

You should check out The Fallen Idol. I wasn't blown away by Odd Man Out either and was worried Third Man was a fluke until I saw it.

Fallen Idol isn't as good as The Third Man but it's a huge jump in quality from Odd Man Out. It's got more of the sense of fun and liveliness of The Third Man.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Argo (4/21/13) - Any Best Picture winner I haven't seen is shameful to me.

My shame list from imdb top 250

The Godfather - I simply never got around to watching it and by the time I considered it I'd seen enough gangster movies (Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, Untouchables, Road to Perdition, Miller's Crossing et al) I figured they'd all riffed of the original so much that it would lose any impact.

The Godfather: Part 1 - see above

Schindler's List - I thought it would be too depressing to watch and, despite knowing its reputation, I've never thought Spielberg could do serious without the sugary coating.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - I actually thought I'd seen this when I was younger but it turns out I got it and The Dream Team mixed up :blush:

Seven Samurai - never heard of it but I did recently watch 13 Assassin's so hopefully it's as good as that was.

City of God - only heard of it mentioned briefly by a friend and know nothing else about it.

Once Upon a Time in the West - seen it when looking for good Westerns to watch but never got around to it (Westerns are one of my favourite genre so it is a bit weird I've never actually watched this).

Casablanca - ambivalence is again the reason here. I've probably seen this riffed by sketches/cartoons etc so I wonder about the impact.

Rear Window - I think I started watching this one night on BBC2 but fell asleep.

Sunset Boulevard - never heard of it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I am so jealous of you, Mr. Joker.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Chili posted:

I am so jealous of you, Mr. Joker.

Haha, I know. I watch loads of movies but seem to have an aversion for the classics. Today though watched 12 Angry Men and it literally blew my mind. Decided I had to bite the bullet and stop being worried that maybe I'd be too dim to appreciate the fullness of such classics of film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

WastedJoker posted:

Decided I had to bite the bullet and stop being worried that maybe I'd be too dim to appreciate the fullness of such classics of film.

Based on your assessment of 12 Angry Men, I think you're quite able to appreciate all the great movies on your list. You're about to experience some serious movie-watching ecstasy.

Also,

WastedJoker posted:

it literally blew my mind.

:fap:

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 22, 2013

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

WastedJoker posted:

The Godfather - I simply never got around to watching it and by the time I considered it I'd seen enough gangster movies (Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, Untouchables, Road to Perdition, Miller's Crossing et al) I figured they'd all riffed of the original so much that it would lose any impact.

The Godfather: Part 1 - see above

Just so you know there's just Part 1 and Part 2 (well, and 3), it's not like Half-Life 2 where there's the original then an Episode 1.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

DetoxP posted:

Just so you know there's just Part 1 and Part 2 (well, and 3), it's not like Half-Life 2 where there's the original then an Episode 1.

That was a typo :blush:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There is no movie called The Godfather part 3. Ignore those typos.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Joker, go with Seven Samurai. It’s a strategic pick on my part, it’s another very old, typical “classic” film. It’s long, but it’s amazing. A perfectly balanced film and what it went on to influence is immeasurable. I’m hoping you’ll be amped up for more classics after it.

Gosford Park

This will probably be a relatively ignorant review. Stick with me.

As soon as this movie opened on an English hillside with Maggie Smith riding in a carriage, I knew I was in for a world of hurt.

And I was. I’ve tried watching things about this era, they all put me to sleep. I doubt I can really give this a review that would make any sense. I didn’t enjoy the film at all, I have no idea if it was good. Frankly, it never stood much of a chance.

I wanted to like it, I really did. I was hoping to get over my whole hang up on the genre.

Nope. I fell asleep during Pride and Prejudice, Downton Abbey, and now, had I not broken it up into 40 minute chunks, this would have fallen to the same fate.

Should I give up? Is there something else of this “feel” that may work for me?.

I feel bad giving this a rating. As is stands, apart from some strong individual performances,and a relatively decent twist, I just didn't like it.

5.5/10

Also, I watched Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, which I loved.

What a fun and smart movie. It also managed to really shut me up with regards to complaining about CGI. After watching some of the behind the scenes with Serkis, god drat can this stuff be impressive in the right hands.

I loved the story, I was super invested in the fate of all of the characters, and even though you sort of know it has to end badly for the humans, the film managed to keep me relatively curious all the way through.

My one criticism is that the ending action sequence of the film felt very unnecessary. I don't know why we needed the showdown on the bridge, it didn't really feel like anything was building up to it. I would have greatly preferred that the entire climax of the film exist within the company that was conducting all of the research, with the apes successfully making a break for it after. Anyway, nitpicks aside, I really dug this, just had a great time watching it.

8.5/10

1. *NEW* California Split *NEW* - Alright, Mr. Altman, you've got ONE more chance. One of my good friends who is a big Altman buff said this would be the film of his that I would most enjoy, considering I'm big on gambling.

2. City Lights - I've seen some Chaplin, but not enough.

3. When Harry Met Sally - I'll have what she's having, right?

4. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - Nicolas Cage :toot:

5. The Fall - Heard it's good from a friend, trailer looks pretty.

6. Chop Shop - With his passing, which really bummed me out, I think I'm going to dedicate slot number 6 now to Roger Ebert and his list of great movies. This one looks pretty good, though I know next to nothing about it.

7. Love Actually - Certainly not a film in my genre of choice, but I've heard enough good things about it (and I want my mom to stop bugging me about seeing it).

8. Barton Fink - #8 on my list will remain a Coen film until I see all of them, I'll go in chronological order. I've only got a handful left.

9. Following - Nolan Completion once I see it. Hooray!

10. *NEW* The Exorcist *NEW* Not a fan of the genre at all, but I know this is too important to pass up.

55 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10 There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10 Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10 Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singing' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10. Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10 Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

On night shifts for next 4 nights so will source movie and watch at weekend. I prefer to watch cheesy stuff during my night shifts since there's frequent interruptions.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

On night shifts for next 4 nights so will source movie and watch at weekend. I prefer to watch cheesy stuff during my night shifts since there's frequent interruptions.

Sure. Though if you'd like a shorter pick, feel free to go with Casablanca instead. I was pretty torn between those two anyway.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Chili you get City Lights. I watched it recently, and you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit.

Five Easy Pieces was a slick little movie. I didn't know much about it going in. I knew it was one of the few films put out by BBS studios though, so that was enough for me to know I had to see it. The movie is a character study about Robert Dupea (Jack Nicholson). He's a guy with no direction in life, and he finds out his father isn't in good health, so he goes to see him.

At times this seemed a little too realistic. If I wanted to see a guy who worked in an oil field and hosed chicks who weren't his girlfriend, I'd just call up one of my poker buddies. As it is though, there's an understated tragic quality to Dupea. It's apparent he could have had the life he wanted, but the viewer never quite feels too sorry for him, as his current life is the result of his own actions.

The soundtrack was good, although I preferred the piano music to the country music. The cinematography was gorgeous. A lot of the shots looked like photos come to life (moving pictures, if you will...). There's a naturalistic quality, but then we'll see a lens flare that reminds us we're watching a movie.

1. Witness for the Prosecution: More courtroom drama

2. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

3. Gaslight: This is one of the more famous noirs, so I feel I need to see it.

4. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

5. The Magnificent Ambersons: I enjoyed Citizen Kane, so I should see more works from Welles.

6. True Lies: This is kind of different from the rest of the list. I really like Arnie's movies from around this time, but I can just never bring myself around to watch this.

7. Some Like it Hot: Billy Wilder and Marilyn Monroe get another shot.

8. Life is Beautiful: 90's movie about a guy who brightens his son's day with comedy. Sounds great.

9. Amelie: I recall seeing this one in the video stores (back when those existed) but despite it's eye catching cover I never had the desire to rent it.

10. Cinema Paradiso: I should probably see the movie the forums are named after.

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
CopywrightMMXI, you get Some Like It Hot

Well, All That Jazz was not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a more traditional musical and instead got an exploration of a man that, while a genius has messed up his life and relationships with those around him. Scheider was brilliant as were the musical numbers. I admire Fosse's guts to basically put himself on screen as an rear end in a top hat and letting you make the decision on whether you were sympathetic to him or not. Just a brilliant film and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

1) Island of Lost Souls- this has to be better than the Island of Dr Moreau right?
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Tokyo Story- need some Ozu
4) Nashville- need more Altman in my life
5) The Deer Hunter- put it off for too long
6) To Live and in in L.A.- this seems right up my alley
7) Two Lane Blacktop- this looks great
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Cabaret- after All That Jazz, I want to explore othe Fosse musicals
10) Go West- I will not rest until I've seen every Buster Keaton

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

9) Cabaret- after All That Jazz, I want to explore othe Fosse musicals

Just to be clear he had nothing to do with the show, so it's only direction and choreography.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
I really dug his camera and editing in All That Jazz so I was hoping he had kind of the same touch there

Mistletoe Donkey fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2013

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey, it's a hard pick but watch Two-Lane Blacktop. It's one of my all time favorite films.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was excellent. It was mostly Stewart's movie but the entire cast is fantastic. But boy, Lee Marvin is a force of nature. I'm used to him in more rigid roles like The Dirty Dozen so seeing him unleash was downright terrifying. I didn't expect it to be Black & White but it really created a great atmosphere for the film. And some of those lines, especially near the end, are phenomenal. Hallie talking about her roots might be some of the most poignant words said about classic westerns. Of course, there's also "When the legend becomes the facts, print the legend."

My List:

Marat/Sade - I've never heard of this until just recently, but it sounds really good and Criticker thinks I'll like it. (Added 5/3/2012)

Rio Bravo - John Wayne's not my favorite but I've heard only good things so I'll give it a shot. (Added 7/7/2012)

A Woman Under The Influence - Is this a good place to start with Cassavetes? I've never seen any of his films. (Added 7/23/2012)

His Girl Friday - Is Cary Grant going to Cary Grant it up in this? (Added 8/7/2012)

Jules et Jim - Started to watch this about a year ago but I was really tired so I took a nap instead. Never got back to it. (Added 10/5/2012)

L'Age D'or - Some early Bunuel. I think Dali was involved with this too so I'm on board. (Added 3/11/2013)

The Grapes of Wrath - I should probably go for a classic western given the discussion, but I'm gonna go with a different John Ford film. (Added 3/15/13)

Strike - I've loved the Eisenstein I've seen so far. (Added 3/19/13)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Rewatching Jurassic Park made me remember I still haven't seen this. Need some more Spielberg in my life. (Added 4/21/13)

Tokyo Story - Highest on the TSPDT Top 1000 that I haven't seen. Make me cry, Ozu! (Added 4/24/13)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (TOTAL: 49)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

I didn't expect it to be Black & White

Interesting, I recently watched the film for the first time and was surprised by this too. I'm not sure why.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

caiman posted:

Interesting, I recently watched the film for the first time and was surprised by this too. I'm not sure why.

I think it's just that it was made in the 60s, and having it be post-Searchers, which has such beautiful color, I was expecting the same.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TrixRabbi, enjoy His Girl Friday

Well, Two Lane Blacktop may be my favorite movie I've seen in a while. I loved the minimalism of it and Taylor and Wilson were surprisingly strong despite having no acting background. Warren Oates was great as usual. Just everything about this was perfect and entertaining. This coming from someone who knows next to nothing about cars.

1) Island of Lost Souls- this has to be better than the Island of Dr Moreau right?
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Tokyo Story- need some Ozu
4) Nashville- need more Altman in my life
6) To Live and in in L.A.- this seems right up my alley
7) Stalag 17- I love al the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Cabaret- after All That Jazz, I want to explore other Fosse musicals
10) Go West- I will not rest until I've seen every Buster Keaton

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

This coming from someone who knows next to nothing about cars.

Fun fact, neither did the screenwriter. Robert Downey, Sr. asked him once how he managed to write all of that stuff about cars and he said "I made it up!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Try this one.

Going My Way - The basic story is familiar. A new Father comes into a parish and fixes all of the money and mortgage problems while the old Father tries to get in his way. Old School vs. New School.

Although there was something about this one that came across as being fake or fraudulent. Maybe it's the conflicting characters that seem overly cheery and overly stodgy. There's a lot of subplots that were pulling me in twenty different directions and all of the stories fell flat. Most of them are introduced in a blunt and shocking way but I just couldn't muster much care about Jr. abruptly getting married and going to war or the church burning to the ground.

Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for both best actor and best supporting actor at the academy awards. This is the only time this was allowed to happen as the rules were changed after. He plays an older crabby Father that compares golf to an outdoor poolroom.

From what I've heard Bing Crosby was the #1 star around this time and he seems likable but doesn't stick out as much as some of his contemporaries.

I also saw a few other actors I recognized: William Frawley (I Love Lucy) as a younger publisher. Risë Stevens (who just died last month at the age of 99) was a singer in the film doing a performance of the opera Carmen. And Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer.

also watched a few weeks ago:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I really liked this one for a few different reasons. First, it was just put together well. Second, it had great characters that came across as real personalities. Third, the lighting in most interior party scenes gave off a great look. But finally and most importantly this was an epiphany.
This is definitely the closest thing I've seen to my own high school experience on film/TV yet (of course it's sexed up, idealized and dramatized). I couldn't identify fully with any character but these all could've been people I actually knew. I could go even beyond that. If someone was asking me to select some songs to capture the 90s high school experience...well, some of those songs are in the film :waycool: Maybe all people experience a film like this every so often but this one tapped into me. If someone ever asks me about the high school experience later on in life this will be the new go to film for now.

As far as the story it starts off pretty typical (another Bildungsroman). Charlie is another person dealing with that familiar ennui and has a series of incidents throughout his first year of high school. He sees rejection and then acceptance from his peers. He makes social mistakes and grows from them and breaks through some of the common barriers.

There's a lot of truth in this one.

Side notes:

-The Marijuana brownie gag never gets old no matter how many films/TV series it's in for some reason.

-I liked how the books being placed on the shelf showed the progression of time.

There are recurring flashbacks concerning Charlie's past and mental problems that seemed unnecessary and detracted from the film at times. They probably serve a better purpose in the novel.

IMDb (247/250 completed):

new #187 Life of Pi - Looks visually interesting. 4/24/13

Academy Award for Best Picture (76/85 completed):

1938 You Can't Take It with You - More of that star power. 3/13/13

1937 The Life of Emile Zola - A boring title for a biopic. 3/22/13

1936 The Great Ziegfeld - A slightly less boring title for a biopic. 3/22/13

1935 Mutiny on the Bounty - I remember seeing some clips from this on an AFI program. 4/6/13

Procrastination (44 completed):

#44 Nightbreed - Hellraiser is one of my favorites in the genre so I should see another directed by Clive Barker. 3/6/13

#46 Any Steven Seagal film - I've never seen one of these and I'm not sure where to start. 4/6/13

#47 Days of Heaven - I recently bought a Roku and am going to begin an attack on my Netflix Instant list. 4/12/13

#48 The Golden Age AKA L'Age d'Or - Been on my radar. 4/12/13

new #49 Last Year at Marienbad - I keep hearing about this one. 4/24/13

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There is no movie called The Godfather part 3. Ignore those typos.

I'm still waiting for History of the World: Part II