Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Slept in, sorted out car insurance two towns over, grilled some sausages, took a walk in the sun to get Slurpees, finished a final exam while listening to baseball, booked a flight and a hotel for two separate weddings, and chilled out watching Psych to top it all off. Tomorrow, I think, will be just as nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
I woke up to an email from my idol telling me I won a contest he's doing for a fan appreciation night on Tuesday. Best thing is, the contest ends at noon today and the winners will be announced tonight, so I got my email early because my submission was that amazing. Only 50 people are going to this, and I'm probably the first to get approval. SO EXCITED. I've been wanting to meet him for YEARs, and I finally get my chance.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm making microwave taquitos at 4:30 in the morning in the middle of a thunderstorm. YOLO.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

youareoffthehook posted:

I woke up to an email from my idol telling me I won a contest he's doing for a fan appreciation night on Tuesday. Best thing is, the contest ends at noon today and the winners will be announced tonight, so I got my email early because my submission was that amazing. Only 50 people are going to this, and I'm probably the first to get approval. SO EXCITED. I've been wanting to meet him for YEARs, and I finally get my chance.

So, I actually got to go up on stage with Macklemore, which was a dream come true! Even just being there would've been amazing, but the fact I GOT ON STAGE was mind blowing!

also, earlier that day my boyfriend took me to Mt. Rainier. Just drove for hours. Tuesday was the best day of my life!!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
My adviser handed back my latest design project. Not only did I get a perfect score, but he also asked me to put it in the end-of-semester design show. He also said that my lighting sketches are "lovely and expressive". :3:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's nice seeing the bumped up wage packets after a recent promotion. Very, very nice indeed. I spent my first wage packet on hookers and drink last week.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
I just got my Intro to International Studies mark back that I was sure I was going to get a "No Paper" in for handing my essay in a week late, or fail horribly, and it was a 68%! While not the greatest mark I've ever gotten, and it's sure to bring my GPA down, this class was instructed by supposedly the "worst professor in the department" according to my friend. I usually don't ramble on about these things, but this person was one of those people who take more pride in their doctorate title than their teaching career, and basically read from the textbook in class in the most dry sense, expecting you knew all these terms that were used. They also only covered the positive impacts of globalization, which bothered me a little, in fact when I handed my thesis statement in, I got a 1/5 on it because apparently talking about gender equality in developing nations "was not relevant to globalization".

It's too bad that one professor ruined the entire program for me, as the program seemed like such a good thing. If they offer it again, I am thinking about taking European Studies, as long as the instructor isn't anything like the one I had this semester.

Let this be a lesson to myself to go on ratemyprof before blindly registering for classes.

FinnDiesel
Feb 13, 2013

I finally got myself a job. After a few years between studies and being a trainee in various places, it's a liberating feeling knowing that I'll have a guaranteed paycheck every month, and not having to try and find a new workplace every third month.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
A customer at work sent a really nice tweet about me to the company, calling me "lovely" and ending it with #legend. :)

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I GOT THE JOB! Doubled everything!
Later, the team I coach won their robotics competition! The job offer was OK, but seeing those excited kids was so much better

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
My mom has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. The last half year has been hell; convinced the police is spying on her, and all her family is in on it. My fiancee is poisoning her and hiding alcohol in her fridge to tempt her. She refused to get help, because she's fine, she says.

Eventually she was standing on the side of the road waving a cars, because they told her things, like when to eat. Also birds told her what groceries to buy, and police sirens told her to drive faster.

In a manic state, she drive 30 minutes to a nearby city and arrived at a bank. She started shaking people's hands and introducing herself to strangers. Did I mention she had groceries still in her car?

She started circling the lot looking for her car. The bank eventually called the police, who took her to a hospital.

This was all last week. She's home now, and on medication. She's better than I've seen in half a year. Today, my fiancee, mother, mother's sister and her husband, my mother's brother, and my grandmother had lunch then chatted for hours.

It's really good to have my mother back. :unsmith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Took my little brother to a wrestling show, and we spilt a bag of gummi bears and had a lot of fun. Jervis Cottonbelly gave him a hat and fake moustache during his entrance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The university accepted my application to graduate next month and said to expect my Master's diploma in the mail sometime in August :buddy:

I actually haven't completed the document that's a degree requirement but I guess now is a good time to crank out that last 1/3 - 1/2 of it!

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

My friend got a sandwich that came with a large pickle on the side, and gave it to me because she doesn't like pickles. Free pickle for me... :dance: And now I do the free pickle dance.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I just got at A on a paper for my hardest class that I thought for sure was a low B paper at best. I'm so relieved; this professor is going to be my thesis director next Fall and I've been freaking out all semester that he thinks I'm an idiot. Now he knows I can do good work.

Also, my last week or so has been pretty awesome because my antidepressant is starting to work. Life's ok, you guys :) If Wandering Knitter is reading this, thank you so much for the pm you sent. You have no idea how encouraging it was to know I'm not alone.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
Noticed today that I'm scheduled to work on a play that doesn't open until August. I take that as a pretty good sign that I'll get my contract renewed! :woop:

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Took the MCAT a month ago over spring break and thought I did about average. Today I got my score back and it was a 40. This score is so stupidly high I'm still not entirely sure this isn't a dream. I can't keep this dumb grin off my face. :woop:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My baby nephew laughed for the first time today :3:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

It was a really warm day and I had a pint of ice cream waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. It's all gone now!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Was pissed off the other night because UPS delivered a package I ordered off of Amazon to the wrong address and the rear end in a top hat that lives there signed for it. I emailed Amazon about it and they refunded my money no questions asked so it worked out. I also left a complaint with UPS over that one.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I ran a 26 minute 5K, benched 1.5 times my body weight, and successfully bartered a game I never play for some new preworkout powder.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

One of my profs set me up with a volunteer opportunity in my favourite mountain town, being an ambassador for tourists looking for good hikes and other interesting things to do. As someone studying ecotourism with a focus on physical geography and geology, I can't loving wait to go out and show people cool stuff, discuss maps, route-planning, where to find fossils, and so much more!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

My friend got a sandwich that came with a large pickle on the side, and gave it to me because she doesn't like pickles. Free pickle for me... :dance: And now I do the free pickle dance.

Incidentally, I got to do the "free pickle dance" today when I got home and took off my skinny jeans :awesome:

Also, I got to make that joke.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Because I met Lil' BUB. :3:

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
Today my fetus still has a heart beat despite its wacky weekend hijinks which meant I went to the emergency department 2 nights in a row.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
My day has not been awesome. I have had one of the saddest days of my entire life in the midst of the scariest month of my entire life.

But today is one of those days where I log on to Something Awful and even though I am gutted and drained, I can see that it will get better. I can see that the world has people in it who talk about access to medical care thoughtfully and with compassion for both patients and medical personnel; that there are people who donate hundreds of thousands of dollars in charity to sick kids, bombing victims, and bees; that there are people who spend hours on this site educating on and learning about everything from advanced physics to obscure musical instruments just because it's worth doing; that there are people here who fall in love, and get married, and have babies, and dress those babies up in costumes to match their cats; that there are people here who rescue others from accidents, disasters, and themselves, and there are people who are here because someone took the time to rescue them.

It would be entirely appropriate to mock me into the ground for being this attached to an Internet forum. Go 'head, this is kinda pathetic. Heck, people write this corny stuff about 4chan and Juggalos, but usually with more typos and unnecessary pictures of dicks. It's difficult to have a filter sometimes when you have brain damage, especially during times of stress, so I may as well own it.

I know any community has the potential to be a good influence and solace. Neither are Something Awful members all good and kind and accomplished. It depends on which messages you choose to take from here, I suppose. With so many members and even more lurkers, it's a rare thing to know if what you say has any impact. "Fighting the good fight," whatever your good fight happens to be, often feels like a futile exercise with questionable impact. I'm on one of those "tell people they matter" kicks at the moment, and I just wanted to share my appreciation for the diversity of ideas and experiences here. As weighty as my problems have been lately, even they pale in comparison to the amount of good being done by the members here every single day.

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
Had a job interview today and two hours later got offered the gig. Nearly doubled my pay, moving on to a much bigger, more interesting company and I pretty much get to do exactly what I dreamed of when I first got started in my field!

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

My day is awesome today because its my 25th birthday, and I've made it really far since my last birthday and I'm proud of myself.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Ashheap Empire posted:

I went to a concert with the girl from my math class who I've been talking to nearly everyday for the last 3 months and who I've been falling hard for and who told me early on that she wanted to just be friends. We'll we somehow ended up watching the enter 6 band concert with her snuggled up in my arms and getting close and PDA'y enough to probably start making people around us uncomfortable. I do feel kind bad about that but it was worth it. After the show she told me she's been falling for me as hard as I've been falling for her.

So yeah, I've never posted in this thread before, but had to now because I just had THE BEST NIGHT EVER!

Since this has happened we've fallen even more crazily in love. I've met her family, she's met mine. We've told each other "I love you" so many times it's getting absurd. And we're both happier together than we've ever been alone or with anyone else in our entire lives.

P.S. for all the MRA's: It was being an actual, non-bs, "nice guy" that got me un-friendzoned. Imagine that.

Ashheap Empire has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Apr 29, 2013

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A girl I like has shown a little bit of interest in me as well, and I finally succeeded in motivating myself to go to the gym instead of it depending on my mood and whether said mood was trashed that day :toot:

Said girl has shown further interest, and I've come to the realization that I actually, genuinely like her too :unsmith: (Sounds like kind of an assholish thing to say but after getting my heart broken I was a bit :emo: so this is a genuine surprise for me.) I hope it works out. I feel like a 13 year old all over again, I'm all nervous and paranoid about what I say/do that might screw things up.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Apr 29, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Well not really today but this whole month.

Finally found a girl that I am really interested in, and initially y it looks like she might be interested back.
Finally found a career path that I like and can make a decent living at.
Actually started college and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Meeting this girl has motivated me to hit the gym and the books. I know there is a possiblity that we might not have anything romantically but it still feels good.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

AltoidsAddict posted:

My day has not been awesome. I have had one of the saddest days of my entire life in the midst of the scariest month of my entire life.

Sorry to hear that - hope things get better!

My day was awesome today because I got several large paychecks in the mail for projects that I recently finished. Hooray paychecks!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I have serious anxiety and depression problems that got me fired and made me have to get medical leave from school.

Today my therapist told me I'm making a lot of good progress. :unsmith:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
My day was pretty terrible today (my mom is 80 and ill and took a turn for the worse) but then I found this little guy/girl when walking back into to work. This is a mockingbird nestling, it was with a second, slightly older and larger nestling in the housing built around our power generator at work. The nest was in a crevice of the generator house wall and blew down last night in a thunderstorm. The older nestling seemed fine, but this one was stranded in a deep puddle with the remnants of the nest and was pretty hypothermic. Took it to my office, made it a nice snug bed in a wicker organizer with my wool tea cozy, then once it warmed up and dried off and started squacking, I took it back and put it safe in a thick bush near its sibling. As I was leaving I saw mama mocker flying down with a dragonfly in its beak and the baby was yelling lustily for BUGZ BUGZ BUGZ. :unsmith:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
$1300 tax refund.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
My boyfriend and I booked a trip to Rome. It's not til September and only half paid for but we're definitely going! :)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I finagled my schedule to allow me to go on a date with my girlfriend on Thursday and my wife on Friday. :) This will be after two weeks at work with no days off. I love my life.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I had a really bad sinus headache yesterday and ended up falling asleep on the sofa. When I woke up at around 2am this morning I found my fluffy cat curled up behind my knees and my pitbull curled up around the fluffy cat. We've only had the dog for about 3 weeks and while everyone is a-okay with living together I never expected to find them snuggling. Made my morning.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
A few months ago, I was saddened to find that the hair salon I've been going to for the past couple years had gone out of business. It was one of the few places around here that isn't Hair Cuttery, but also doesn't charge a hundred dollars for a trim. The stylist I went to was super sweet and actually knew how to work with my very curly hair and weird face. I know this isn't the first world problems thread, but I was sad to see the place go.

Today when I was walking home, I walked past the building it was in and lights were on inside. I went to investigate and saw a new name on the door, and a "we're open" sign. Turns out my stylist had leased the space for herself after the old salon had gone out of business. She's spent the last couple months setting it up the way she wants it, and it looks great. She just opened yesterday, and even though business has been really steady so far, she was able to fit me in for an awesome haircut. I'm glad to have a regular salon and hairdresser again, but I'm even more glad to see an acquaintance (and really nice person) do well for herself.

Stopped in my favorite thrift shop and bought two beautiful vintage leather handbags for dirt cheap. Haven't decided if I'm going to sell or keep them yet, but they're very nice to look at.

Got home to find that my partner had used part of his tax return to bring our somewhat large electric bill balance down to zero. And tomorrow, we have our first full day off together in over a month... the plan so far is sleeping in, breakfast at our favorite delicious hole in the wall, maybe the zoo, and then dinner with our close friends and their adorable toddler. So that should be an even better day than today was :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I finished two of my exams, and I thought I did quite well on them. I also got to hang out with two of my neighbors that I've not really talked with for the whole year, sat down and ate some clementines with them, and slept outside during the really fine 80 degree weather today. I also finally found a medicine that helps with my frequent migraines, got to pet the fuzziest Chow puppy I have ever seen, and today was my dog's birthday. She was diagnosed with a genetic heart condition when she was a month old, and our vet gave her 6 months to live before it gave out. We gave her lots of love and tried some medicine the vet prescribed us to try, and now she's a bouncy, shoe-eating ball of fur. She just turned two today. :3: