Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

I've talked about this before, but the backlash started in late 2005 during his feud with Kurt Angle and continued into 2006. It did not help that WWE seemed to be touring really smarky areas like Chicago, Boston, Toronto and the infamous Hammerstein Ballroom with an original ECW crowd. What really broke the camel's back was Cena was pushed as a drat-near deity in the ring where people had to seriously cheese him in order to get a pinfall. It was annoying because the match would be one-sided against him, he'd SuperCena up and hit his moves and get the win with the commentators talking about "overcoming the odds". Every match was like this and they were so dull. The spinner belt as well enraged a lot of people because it implied Cena was bigger than WWE.

This was the period of my first return in interest to wrestling, and I had been following it roughly for about a year. Unless I'm confused, this was around the time that he was booked in a submission match against Angle, which, of course, Cena won in a fashion that proved he was a superior technician. To loving Kurt Angle. I was actually so annoyed that I stopped following it at all for about 4-5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ah the days of playing Gangrel in WWF Attitude only for his entrance.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

RBX posted:

Ah the days of playing Gangrel in WWF Attitude only for his entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0h37R5tEpg

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Here is a wrestling question so we can get off of Bella boob talk.

See when someone does a German suplex and finishes it by bridging for a pin, how do they no knock themselves out by landing on their heed?

By being tough motherfuckers who don't care about concussions, you pussy.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Gonzo McFee posted:

See when someone does a German suplex and finishes it by bridging for a pin, how do they no knock themselves out by landing on their heed?

By pulling a Cena at Night of Champions 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

Am I confusing this with something else, or didn't someone once correlate a rise in concussions and neck injuries/surgeries with the amount of German (and other) suplexes that guys like Angle and Benoit and others were routinely doing all the time in WWE? I vaguely seem to remember reading something along those lines.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Am I confusing this with something else, or didn't someone once correlate a rise in concussions and neck injuries/surgeries with the amount of German (and other) suplexes that guys like Angle and Benoit and others were routinely doing all the time in WWE? I vaguely seem to remember reading something along those lines.

I don't remember that specifically, but you sure don't see too many German suplexes post-Benoit.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Perry Normal posted:

I don't remember that specifically, but you sure don't see too many German suplexes post-Benoit.

Edge was out for almost all of 2003 due to a neck injury after spending the better part of '02 fighting with Angle and Benoit many times, not to mention all the ridiculous ladder matches he was in before that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Perry Normal posted:

This is amazing, horrifying, and sad, all at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKbpjaboGc

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yuriy posted:

Okay, it wasn't a debate, he made a point that everyone here was making and joking about for weeks.
I wonder if they're gonna mention it I wonder if they're gonna mention it I wonder if they're gonna mention it
*they mention it*
HOW DARE THEY MENTION IT

Rodney the Piper posted:

This was the period of my first return in interest to wrestling, and I had been following it roughly for about a year. Unless I'm confused, this was around the time that he was booked in a submission match against Angle, which, of course, Cena won in a fashion that proved he was a superior technician. To loving Kurt Angle. I was actually so annoyed that I stopped following it at all for about 4-5 years.

Cena's TLC match against an undefeated-in-TLC Edge in Toronto comes to mind as well. Once they noticed the backlash among the older fans, they started booking him as a heel while still giving the younger fans what they wanted. It became really obvious after a while, then when he got injured and returned, they kept the title off him for a good long while so people tolerated him a bit more. Unfortunately he was still main eventing regardless; Punk was champion of the A-show but still wrestling mid-show, while Cena main evented PPVs for no reason.

So basically Cena became the internet hate target that Triple H used to be in the early 2000s, only now the online community was a lot bigger so the live crowd was more vocal about it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Perry Normal posted:

This match comes to mind:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo6ktd_mitsuharu-misawa-jun-akiyama-vs-johnny-ace-dr-death-steve-williams-ajpw_sport#.UXMUg7XvscY

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, this became a thing once they cut Benoit's brain open and went "holy poo poo, did this guy have Alzheimer's for a hundred years or something?" I believe it was Edge who wryly pointed out somewhere that they moved to the early-00s style, best demonstrated by Angle and Benoit, because they thought scientific wrestling was safer than the late-90s chairshots and table spots. Then, six or seven years after that, they realized that the chairshots were protected and the tables were prepared, while this brand of "scientific wrestling" involved some wrestlers getting dropped on their heads and necks four or five hundred times a year.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gonzo McFee posted:

In theory, you grab the person low enough around the waist, and hoist their shoulders high enough above your own head, which then gives you just enough clearance to tilt your head to the side and have their shoulders land flat on the mat behind you/next to your head. In practice a lot of buys probably just bang their heads a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are you guys talking about long-term damage from German suplexes?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Arc4rMZnVQ

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

oldpainless posted:

I couldn't even get through this video. Yarg.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
How many days a week does a wrestler work in the ring?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Puseklepp posted:

How many days a week does a wrestler work in the ring?

It honestly depends. If you're on the indy circuit, you can work as often or as little as you like, depending on how your finances are (how much you get paid per appearance, how much you've managed to sock away, no major health issues, and so forth). That is because if you're not working on the indy circuit, you're not getting paid.

WWE works a pretty punishing schedule (I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300+ days, not counting travel time) but their workers are probably the best-paid in the industry, which is why most everyone dreams of getting a shot there one day, because the checks are steady and reliable. I think TNA has a similar road schedule but there have been payment issues here and there (basically they make sure the highest-paid guys are taken care of first, which has led to some of the lower-tier guys getting their checks late).

Old-timers like Jim Ross will often talk about how back in their day, there were no "days off". What they often neglect to mention is that for many years the style was nowhere near as high-impact as it is now, and that during the good ol' territory days, guys often were willing to work two towns in a day because the promoters were paying them peanuts (there are numerous horror stories of guys going to work for someone like Bill Watts, and receiving an empty pay envelope, with the idea being that they should feel privileged that someone like Watts allowed them to wrestle on the card).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2013

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm going to use WWE and guess a minimum of 3 days a week. A TV taping for one of the 500 weekly shows, and probably a couple of house shows. Higher card guys like Daniel Bryan could work as much as 5, working Raw, Smackdown and some house shows. Must be loving brutal.

efb

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The crazy schedule was why Brock got out in the first place. Of course, the fact that he had made enough money to buy a private jet could have influenced his decision a little bit.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg176/daveshaps/2Rustam-Khabilov-vs-Vinc-Pichel-720p-HD-3-german-suplexes-copy.gif?t=1355680458

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It honestly depends. If you're on the indy circuit, you can work as often or as little as you like, depending on how your finances are (how much you get paid per appearance, how much you've managed to sock away, no major health issues, and so forth). That is because if you're not working on the indy circuit, you're not getting paid.

WWE works a pretty punishing schedule (I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300+ days, not counting travel time) but their workers are probably the best-paid in the industry, which is why most everyone dreams of getting a shot there one day, because the checks are steady and reliable. I think TNA has a similar road schedule but there have been payment issues here and there (basically they make sure the highest-paid guys are taken care of first, which has led to some of the lower-tier guys getting their checks late).

Old-timers like Jim Ross will often talk about how back in their day, there were no "days off". What they often neglect to mention is that for many years the style was nowhere near as high-impact as it is now, and that during the good ol' territory days, guys often were willing to work two towns in a day because the promoters were paying them peanuts (there are numerous horror stories of guys going to work for someone like Bill Watts, and receiving an empty pay envelope, with the idea being that they should feel privileged that someone like Watts allowed them to wrestle on the card).

WWE wrestlers work 150-200 dates a year on average not including travel. No one has worked 300 dates a year in eons.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does that count for days of media appearances & signings?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MassRanTer posted:

WWE wrestlers work 150-200 dates a year on average not including travel. No one has worked 300 dates a year in eons.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that someone said they were on the road 300+ days a year, not counting time off because of things like injuries. So it might be that they aren't wrestling 300+ days a year, but they're still working (because things like media appearances that JC mentioned above are not "days off", technically speaking).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that someone said they were on the road 300+ days a year, not counting time off because of things like injuries. So it might be that they aren't wrestling 300+ days a year, but they're still working (because things like media appearances that JC mentioned above are not "days off", technically speaking).

If you add in media appearances and other non wrestling gigs maybe John Cena works close to 300 days a year, but other than that, there really aren't any guys in WWE doing anything close to that. Think about it, the 300 days a year thing doesn't work because if you then factored in travel days you would have wrestlers on the road for around 350 days per year.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What are some must-watch AJPW/NOAH matches? I've been loving NJPW since I started following it, so I thought I'd give King's Road style another chance.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Any and all of the Misawa vs. Jumbo 6 mans should get you into AJPW just fine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NienNunb posted:

What are some must-watch AJPW/NOAH matches? I've been loving NJPW since I started following it, so I thought I'd give King's Road style another chance.

Here are all the 5 star matches for them
All Japan Pro Wrestling

* 12/08/84 Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody vs. Dory Funk & Terry Funk
* 03/09/85 Tiger Mask II vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi
* 01/28/86 Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichrio Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu
* 12/16/88 Toshiaki Kawada & Genichiro Tenryu vs. Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy
* 01/28/89 Genichrio Tenryu, Toshiaki Kawada & Samson Fuyuki vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Yoshiaki Yatsu/Masanobu Fuchi
* 06/06/89 Jumbo Tsuruta vs Genichiro Tenryu
* 06/08/90 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Jumbo Tsuruta
* 10/19/90 Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Mitsuharu
Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi
* 05/22/92 Jumbo Tsuruta & Masanobu Fuchi & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu
Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Toshiaki Kawada
* 05/25/92 Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi
Kikuchi
* 04/14/93 Toshiaki Kawada vs. Kenta Kobashi
* 07/02/93 Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Mitsuharu
Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama
* 07/29/93 Stan Hansen vs. Kenta Kobashi
* 08/31/93 Steve Williams vs. Kenta Kobashi
* 12/03/93 Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta
Kobashi
* 02/13/94 Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, & Giant Baba vs. Masanobu
Fuchi, Toshiaki Kawada, & Akira Taue
* 05/21/94 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira
Taue
* 06/03/94 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada
* 01/19/95 Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada
* 01/24/95 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira
Taue
* 03/04/95 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Steve Williams & Johnny
Ace
* 04/15/95 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Akira Taue
* 06/09/95 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira
Taue
* 05/23/96 Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira
Taue
* 06/07/96 Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams & Johnny
Ace
* 12/06/96 Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun
Akiyama
* 06/06/97 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada
* 10/31/98 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi
* 6/11/99 Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi
* 10/23/99 Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari
Ogawa
* 04/20/91 Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo
Tsuruta & Akira Taue & Masanobu Fuchi
* 07/05/92 Masanobu Fuchi & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Kenta Kobashi &
Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
* 06/30/95 Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Satoru Asako vs. Toshiaki
Kawada & Akira Taue & Tamon Honda
* 12/05/97 Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun
Akiyama

Pro Wrestling NOAH

* 3/1/03 Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa
* 7/10/04 Kenta Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama

Kenta Kobashi & Kensuke Sasaki the chop war

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
6/9/95 is one of the matches that gets a lot of consideration for "greatest match of all time."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRanTer posted:

6/9/95 is one of the matches that gets a lot of consideration for "greatest match of all time."

What's generally considered New Japan's greatest match?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Kawada/Sasaki from October 2000 and Hashimoto/Takada from April '96 are my favorites. Both have a drat near perfect "big match" aura, a nuclear crowd, and are vicious as hell.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

What's generally considered New Japan's greatest match?

Pegasus/Sasuke is probably the most widely acclaimed. Among diehards, the 3/86 Team NJ vs. Team UWF gets thrown around a lot, as do Samurai/Ohtani and Fujinami/Maeda.

At this point, I think my favorite is the second Liger/Sano match. It has everything you could ask for in wrestling—blood, hatred, insane highspots, great selling, storytelling, technique—and it never slows down. These matches were also hugely important in shaping the modern junior style.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

NienNunb posted:

Ditch had a spreadsheet for voting on the best matches of the 00's. The links still work, and his favorites were bolded:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvheDEc_e3lDdFhNalBid0E4NmUyWUhFT3oxOEZ4a2c&usp=sharing

My personal favorite NOAH match is still KENTA vs Kotaro Suzuki.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRanTer posted:

So is 6/3/94.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

KENTA vs SUWA from 9/2005 is the best NOAH match ever.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Duck of Death posted:

Pegasus/Sasuke is probably the most widely acclaimed. Among diehards, the 3/86 Team NJ vs. Team UWF gets thrown around a lot, as do Samurai/Ohtani and Fujinami/Maeda.

At this point, I think my favorite is the second Liger/Sano match. It has everything you could ask for in wrestling—blood, hatred, insane highspots, great selling, storytelling, technique—and it never slows down. These matches were also hugely important in shaping the modern junior style.
There's also the '90 match, where I think Meltzer gave it MOTY honors, even over Jumbo/Misawa.

MassRanTer posted:

Tags are more highly regarded among Japanese fans, correct?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

You should probably get more acquainted with who those 4 wrestlers are before going out of your way to watch that match.

Watch them face each other in singles, or watch them face other people first.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Be sure to post a show review, I love reading those.

Don't know if you are still interested, but I posted my little review in the Whatcha Watching? thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527799&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post414685879

Just so this isn't just that, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books/docus about the early, early days of wrestling? I've been finding myself wondering just how we got to where we are in wrestling. Thanks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What is Trevor Murdoch up to these days? I really wish WWE would sign him to a new deal since it seems like they are slightly obssessed with huge bodybuilder types now compared to when he was there. He could be an effective midcard wrestler with a distinct look.

And I'm just a sucker for that oldschool 80s guy look.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrBling posted:

What is Trevor Murdoch up to these days? I really wish WWE would sign him to a new deal since it seems like they are slightly obssessed with huge bodybuilder types now compared to when he was there. He could be an effective midcard wrestler with a distinct look.

And I'm just a sucker for that oldschool 80s guy look.

I know he was in Ring Ka King for a while. No idea beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

Perry Normal posted:

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but while I don't hate Bret I just find (or used to find anyway, he seems to have mellowed lately) him really, really whiny. And not just about the Screwjob or his issues with the Clique and Hogen and such. He bitches about a lot of things that have perfectly reasonable explanations in his book.

"Vince and JR were subtley tearing me down on commentary during my Survivor Series match with Stone Cold!" Or were they selling the idea that Bret might have ring rust in his comeback match since he hadn't been on TV since Wrestlemania?

"They completely glossed over my title shot against Sid in December at the press conference for the Royal Rumble!" Why would they spend any time promoting the December throwaway PPV at the press conference for the Royal Rumble?

"Julie was mean to me!" Maybe she's mad because you cheated on her a billion times?

He's also loving nuts if that story of him refusing to lose to Dino Bravo after breaking his sternum in a match is anything to go by.

also blaming his wife for his cheating and being a HUGE baby when he was inducted into the hall of fame.