Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Reive posted:

Are there any more semi-blind multi-commentator LPs?
As in the player is blind but has help from people that know the game.
I've seen Slowbeef's Metroid Prime trilogy of LPs, and I just recently finished Geop's fantastic Jolly Co-op Dark Soul's LP.
If not I'm also always looking for more humorous co/multi-commentator ones, I haven't kept up with new threads in like 6~ months, so anything new would be nice.

Matt and Other Matt (Occultatio and Mott514) are doing a Puzzle Platformer thread where at least one of them is playing the game blind. They just started a couple weeks ago and are doing Portal 2 and Braid first. There's a list of other games they're planning to tackle next, but that's a little way off.

Edit: And I wanted to thank Psion for mentioning the Syndicate LP. I've been listening to/watching it in my other monitor while playing GW2 and MC. It's pretty great, and I'm going to check out their other stuff after finishing this up.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Onean posted:

Matt and Other Matt (Occultatio and Mott514) are doing a Puzzle Platformer thread where at least one of them is playing the game blind. They just started a couple weeks ago and are doing Portal 2 and Braid first. There's a list of other games they're planning to tackle next, but that's a little way off.

Edit: And I wanted to thank Psion for mentioning the Syndicate LP. I've been listening to/watching it in my other monitor while playing GW2 and MC. It's pretty great, and I'm going to check out their other stuff after finishing this up.

Sweet, I'll check it out, and yes I definitely also recommend Jeff and David's stuff, be sure to check out their Chaos Legion one, Jeff is a mad wizard at that game, super informative and humorous.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What's a short but good VLPs? I'm looking for something like Simply Simon's LP series of the 6 NES Mega Man series. It's like popcorn.

edit: post is now in quasi-english

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
What are some good Europa Unversalis LPs (other any paradox game other than CKII)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toanoradian posted:

What's a short but good VLPs? I'm looking for something like Simply Simon's LP series of the 6 NES Mega Man series. It's like popcorn.

Metroixer's Feel the Magic XY/XX LP is pretty short, and is alot of fun to watch. (Needs Archives)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

toanoradian posted:

Wirehead is a short but entertaining LP of an extremely silly FMV game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Most of the videos in the Hard Games thread are pretty short, but highly entertaining. I also love bite-sized updates (glad you liked my stuff :)), and there's lots of bites to have!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Reive posted:

Are there any more semi-blind multi-commentator LPs?
As in the player is blind but has help from people that know the game.
I've seen Slowbeef's Metroid Prime trilogy of LPs, and I just recently finished Geop's fantastic Jolly Co-op Dark Soul's LP.
If not I'm also always looking for more humorous co/multi-commentator ones, I haven't kept up with new threads in like 6~ months, so anything new would be nice.

Mzbundifund and Bacter's LP of Amulets and Armor, a virtually unknown RPG done in the Doom engine.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Kanfy posted:

Wirehead is a short but entertaining LP of an extremely silly FMV game.

I will double down on this. That game is completely ridiculous in the best retarded FMV way.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Are there any good LPs of Skyrim with lots of silly mods? Something like Maxwell Adams' Oblivion LP.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
If you like lively commentary then try out Lunethex's Resident Evil 6 VLP. Game's pretty dumb but the LPer exhudes enthusiasm his for it in every episode and the result is quite excellent.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Not sure whether this is a discussion for another thread, but what's the best FFVI LP in the archives?

Blastinus' LP of it seems like a pretty accessible and detailed look at the game, but it cuts out dialogue and a few other things.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

VagueRant posted:

Not sure whether this is a discussion for another thread, but what's the best FFVI LP in the archives?

Blastinus' LP of it seems like a pretty accessible and detailed look at the game, but it cuts out dialogue and a few other things.

Quality-wise, I'd definitely recommend vilkacis's version over mine. Not only does it go over the base game in a lot more polished way, but it goes further and delves into the optional content added to the Advance version of the game. Plus he uses a lot more amusing GIFs.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think Elephantgun's FFVI LP is the definitive one. It's pretty much just outright breaking the game, but it's the most interesting FFVI experience you will ever have.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Elephantgun's is only interesting for those who've played the game before, but if you have, I definitely recommend that one. Otherwise, both Blastinus and vilkacis's LP's are pretty good.

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010
I have been following Psychedelic Eyeball's great System Shock 2 LP, and was wondering does anyone know any good VLPs for the original System Shock?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Damathacus posted:

I have been following Psychedelic Eyeball's great System Shock 2 LP, and was wondering does anyone know any good VLPs for the original System Shock?
Eh, I think most would tell you the original wouldn't really work well as video but there is currently a screenshot one going on for the first one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530322&pagenumber=1

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Eh, I think most would tell you the original wouldn't really work well as video but there is currently a screenshot one going on for the first one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530322&pagenumber=1

I checked that let's play out but I just don't like screenshot let's plays that much, especially narrative ones, and it seems that it is currently on hold anyways.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Mega64 posted:

Elephantgun's is only interesting for those who've played the game before, but if you have, I definitely recommend that one. Otherwise, both Blastinus and vilkacis's LP's are pretty good.

What kind of monster hasn't played FF6 (aka 3)?

Anyway, wanted to recommend toddy.'s Asura's Wrath LP. He does a great job playing well and explaining the game, but the real attraction is that the game itself is pretty amazing. I mean, it's a great justification for LPs- it looks terrible to play but wonderful to watch, and the story gets appropriately more ludicrous as it goes on.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I need a video lp I can read while laying down for bed. thank you

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Herr Tog posted:

Assuming you just mean a pretty chill video lp, Bobbin Threadbare's Thief lp is always a classic. It's the one I've recommended the most for good reason.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Chulip is a great chillax and lay around LP. Smoke some weed. Watch Jamesman die to everything. Rinse, repeat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Herr Tog posted:

Read or watch? If you mean video, The Void is very relaxing. The game is strange, surreal and dream-like, and CannibalK9īs commentary is very chill.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Sorry I meant watch and I am juiced for some of these recommendations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

We made a compilation list of insomnia games a while back: post link.

It would probably help to get this post linked on the first page so it'll be easier to find.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
I think Aquaria is also a good put-it-on-and-relax/insomnia VLP - nice music, pretty 2d graphics, no distracting voice commentary. You can pretty much spend as much or as little attention on it as you want.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Goldfinch posted:

I think Aquaria is also a good put-it-on-and-relax/insomnia VLP - nice music, pretty 2d graphics, no distracting voice commentary. You can pretty much spend as much or as little attention on it as you want.

This is good advice. Just make sure that you're actually paying attention to "The Veil" episode. It has one of the most memorable moments of any video game I've played.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Chewbot posted:

Anyway, wanted to recommend toddy.'s Asura's Wrath LP. He does a great job playing well and explaining the game, but the real attraction is that the game itself is pretty amazing. I mean, it's a great justification for LPs- it looks terrible to play but wonderful to watch, and the story gets appropriately more ludicrous as it goes on.

I just want to give a note about the Side B commentary of this LP. The first episode is always the worst episode, and I think this warned a lot of people off Side B entirely. Those of us who did commentary for the first episode hadn't done commentary together before. Later episodes are better. In fact, Side B episodes have rotating guests so there's usually a completely different group anyway. If you didn't like what you heard from the first Side B, give later episodes a shot. And if you still don't like it, feel free to give us your feedback.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mush Man posted:

I just want to give a note about the Side B commentary of this LP. The first episode is always the worst episode, and I think this warned a lot of people off Side B entirely. Those of us who did commentary for the first episode hadn't done commentary together before. Later episodes are better. In fact, Side B episodes have rotating guests so there's usually a completely different group anyway. If you didn't like what you heard from the first Side B, give later episodes a shot. And if you still don't like it, feel free to give us your feedback.

Yes, please. If nobody tells us we can't fix it.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I'm curious if there are any other good/completed MGS LP's out there? (of really any of the games)

I know Chip & Ironicus are well known for the MGS games and I absolutely loved those LP's but it'd be interesting to see another individuals take on it. Perhaps something more informative or that goes deeper into the lore or just something that just contrasts well with Chip's LP.

Aside from the general youtube bullshit or.. god forbid someone like dark side phil.. I don't know of any other person(s) who have attempted to LP the MGS games.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
RChimpCola did Twin Snakes a few years ago. It's hilarious, but if you're looking for informative it might not be the way to go.
http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Solid-Twin-Snakes/

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sundowner posted:

I'm curious if there are any other good/completed MGS LP's out there? (of really any of the games)

I know Chip & Ironicus are well known for the MGS games and I absolutely loved those LP's but it'd be interesting to see another individuals take on it. Perhaps something more informative or that goes deeper into the lore or just something that just contrasts well with Chip's LP.

Aside from the general youtube bullshit or.. god forbid someone like dark side phil.. I don't know of any other person(s) who have attempted to LP the MGS games.
Informative in what way because Chip is pretty amazing at showing off pretty much everything in all the MGS games.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Niggurath posted:

Informative in what way because Chip is pretty amazing at showing off pretty much everything in all the MGS games.
Yeah I didn't mean that to sound like a slight against Chip at all. After his LP's I feel like I have a better grasp on the series than I ever did playing it my self. I was just curious if there's someone elses take or doing it in some way different. I guess I mean informative in the sense that the commentary is a lot more focused on the story and the exposition. Perhaps that would be boring to watch and thus no one has attempted it. I don't know.

Mico posted:

RChimpCola did Twin Snakes a few years ago. It's hilarious, but if you're looking for informative it might not be the way to go.
http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Solid-Twin-Snakes/
I'm really just looking for alternate takes on the games so I'll definitely check out RChimpCola's LP. In fact up until last week Chip's MGS LPs have been close to all I'd watched for a long while in terms of LPs so my brain is just leaking MGS and I got to thinking that Chip has done such a good job, I'd be curious to see how others have covered the series.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Anyone who hasn't played the game yet and isn't reading the thread yet should really check out 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. poo poo has gotten real.

Dragonatrix is also doing a fantastic job of updating the thread, so props to him.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Just wanted to pop in a recommendation for LizardWizard's Oblivion Let's Play. He's playing it "vanilla" with the official DLC included and no mods (so far). I have to say, it's pretty fun to read - he's taking a light approach to the whole thing and just letting the chips fall where they may. He kind of hates the game, so expect a lot of the flaws to be pointed out (that being said, he is being fair where there are good points). It's great for people new to the game or (for the most of us) even for those who have played through it a million times.

And if that didn't convince you, I implore you to look into Sterv the Khajiit's eyes and tell him "no" yourself.

You don't have the heart, do you?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Anyone have suggestions for an LP of Black & White (1 or 2), Viva Pinata, or any of the various other 'god games'? I've got a real itch, but have lost my disks for Black & White, and refuse to install GFWL to play Viva Pinata.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Cheeseball IV did an LP of the original Black & White. It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall it being pretty funny.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Haifisch posted:

Cheeseball IV did an LP of the original Black & White. It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall it being pretty funny.

I should have stated it already, but I did try to watch this, but the video quality is kind of bad, to the point of being sort of unwatchable. I can't read any text or make out what little guys are doing, which is unfortunate.

Does the quality change past the first video?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Not really, no.

It was 2007, Google video was a necessary evil for videos that long. Just think of it as cracks in a fine art mural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Roar posted:

Not really, no.

It was 2007, Google video was a necessary evil for videos that long. Just think of it as cracks in a fine art mural.

To be fair, YouTube wasn't much better back then.

• Locked thread