Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

So I'm getting a 3DS XL second hand. It already has Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land installed, so can I somehow back up the games before wiping the system of user information? And am I able to soft reset the game save data so everything starts from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, quick question:
I have a few games downloaded directly to my 3DSXL (Mario Kart and Layton). If, for some reason, I had to get a new unit, are those games lost forever or can I back them up somewhere and transfer them to a different 3DSXL?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, quick question:
I have a few games downloaded directly to my 3DSXL (Mario Kart and Layton). If, for some reason, I had to get a new unit, are those games lost forever or can I back them up somewhere and transfer them to a different 3DSXL?

If the reason involves losing your old XL then no. If you have both you can do a system transfer.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

glassyalabolas posted:

It's the CPP-XL/LL and it's only available straight from Nintendo. I'm considering it.

How much would people say it's worth it? I think the only compatible games I have are Resident Evil: Revelations and Monster Hunter. I haven't really had a problem going without, though I can see how it'd be useful with Monster Hunter.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If you're a Monster Hunter fan, it's probably worth your money to use it. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Hungry Bit posted:

So I'm getting a 3DS XL second hand. It already has Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land installed, so can I somehow back up the games before wiping the system of user information? And am I able to soft reset the game save data so everything starts from scratch?

Formatting the system memory will delete everything in the system itself. If the person who sold you that 3DS didn't delete his or her eShop account, you'll still be able to play those two games. I can't tell you exactly how to delete their saves, but basically every single video game these days has a way to do that, so check their manuals (and yes, manuals are digitally available on the system as well) to find out.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's a clunky peripheral which was really only made for one game and it's half the price of a new game. Unless you really can't play Monster Hunter without it, all signs point to "skip".

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Katana Gomai posted:

It's a clunky peripheral which was really only made for one game and it's half the price of a new game. Unless you really can't play Monster Hunter without it, all signs point to "skip".

A couple of underwater fights is all you need to feel the need for it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Hey there, DS game collectors! Is your collection missing something? Are you absent a particular genre? I bet that genre is "cookbook". Well then, check your local Best Buy's clearance rack/bin/whatever, because you could probably buy America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking for $1!

As you can tell from this poorly-modified terrible camera photo, for about a buck, you can learn up to 300 Top Recipes (tm)! That's 1/3rd of a penny per recipe! HOLY poo poo!

(The website still has the game listed at $9.50, your local stores may vary)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo UK dudes, GAME is now selling digital codes for first-party retail games; you can buy 'em in-store or off the website, and a lot of them are the same price as the physical version (ie not RRP forever like they are on the eShop).

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=214844&articleId=214845&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

Quick update on this: apparently GAME has been sending out digital codes for Lego City Undercover even though the game isn't officially out yet, so if you really wanna play it a week early then you're in luck, I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I picked up a CPP XL earlier today and it makes Monster Hunter much more playable.
It's maybe not worth it if you're reticent to part with the cash, but it's not a one time only offer and once you own it, you can use it for any future games or old ones that support it so I figured why not.

Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid 3 support it too, no?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

KI:U supports the CPP in that you can use the CPP's pad to move and do the aiming with your left hand on the touch screen. The CPP came out too late in development for them to put in proper dual analog support.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hungry Bit posted:

So wait a minute, can you download regular 3DS games onto the system without buying a physical copy, like Steam?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So wait a minute, can you download regular 3DS games onto the system without buying a physical copy, like Steam?

Yes, you can. The selection is somewhat limited (it only started last year when NSMB2 came out) right now, but Nintendo has been getting more and more backlogged retail games up on the eShop along with all the big new releases. Better get a big SD card!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well that's awesome, dang.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Macaluso posted:

One caveat: there isn't a proper account system on the Eshop, so your purchases are tied to your system. If you lose it, nothing short of a police report is going to get your games back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Macaluso posted:

For space reference, Fire Emblem Awakening is just over 9000 blocks, which is pretty much all of the SD card I got with the system, so assume roughly 1-2Gb per game. I'm gonna pick up a 32Gb card next time I get paid since the Game stuff makes it far more likely I'll be buying like this in future. Are there any major ballaches with transferring stuff from one SD card to another?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

njsykora posted:

For space reference, Fire Emblem Awakening is just over 9000 blocks, which is pretty much all of the SD card I got with the system, so assume roughly 1-2Gb per game. I'm gonna pick up a 32Gb card next time I get paid since the Game stuff makes it far more likely I'll be buying like this in future. Are there any major ballaches with transferring stuff from one SD card to another?

Most games aren't as larges as Fire Emblem. Storage management is as simple as copying all the files from one card to another.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bongo Bill posted:

Most games aren't as larges as Fire Emblem. Storage management is as simple as copying all the files from one card to another.

That's true. Some of them are larger. Soul Hackers, for instance, is almost twice as big, weighing in at almost 15,000 blocks.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hey there, DS game collectors! Is your collection missing something? Are you absent a particular genre? I bet that genre is "cookbook". Well then, check your local Best Buy's clearance rack/bin/whatever, because you could probably buy America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking for $1!

As you can tell from this poorly-modified terrible camera photo, for about a buck, you can learn up to 300 Top Recipes (tm)! That's 1/3rd of a penny per recipe! HOLY poo poo!

(The website still has the game listed at $9.50, your local stores may vary)

I bought this for $5 a long time ago it's a pretty alright cookbook for your Nintendo game thing!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

njsykora posted:

The 4GB card I got with my XL still has plenty of room on it after Fire Emblem, a bunch of the DLC, and digital copies of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. Did some of the systems come with smaller cards or something?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pretty sure the regular 3DS came with 2GB.

Edit: I can't check right now, but I know offhand that mine filled up with 14 or so ambassador games (they're pretty small), two or three demos, liberation maiden and crimson shroud.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Travis343 posted:

The 4GB card I got with my XL still has plenty of room on it after Fire Emblem, a bunch of the DLC, and digital copies of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. Did some of the systems come with smaller cards or something?

The original 3DS just has a 2gb card in it.

/\/\/\What he said.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Yeah I've got a 4GB card in mine and its sitting half full with Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion Dark Moon, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I have a 16GB card in my 3DS, and I currently have 58,651 blocks available with 64 total items downloaded. The Ambassador games don't take up much room, and neither do the other Virtual Console and 3D Classics.

I do also have the digital versions of these games:

Luigi's Mansion (6,745 blocks)
Fire Emblem Awakening (8,577)
LoZ:OoT (3,644)
BIT.TRIP SAGA (2,321)
Paper Mario (4,199)
Layton & the Miracle Mask (6,323)
NSMB 2(2,725)

The eShop titles are all over the place. Some are over 1,000 blocks, others are barely 200.

I like to spread my play time around on the 3DS, and having the digital versions makes it a bit easier. I don't have to carry a bunch of game cards around with me.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Timid posted:

Heads up, the CPP is now available in NA for $20.

loving finally, and screw you nerds who thought you were nerdy enough to tell me it was never coming out here.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are there any recommendations for chargers that work in Malaysia or Singapore? They have 240V outlets over there and my NA charger is only labeled for 120V.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Get one off ebay I guess. An Indian DSiXL charger should work too, if you have a way to find one of those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Strange Quark posted:

Are there any recommendations for chargers that work in Malaysia or Singapore? They have 240V outlets over there and my NA charger is only labeled for 120V.

Singapore apparently uses the same voltage and plug design as the UK, so a UK charger should work fine.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Can I bother y'all to dredge up the 3DS XL size discussion again? I don't have a handbag or a backpack or anything but I'm thinking of upgrading before the free game promotion ends, especially because the left shoulder button on my 3DS is getting a little temperamental and my giant man's hands aren't relishing the way they feel after a few hours' play, and I wanna know if I could slip it in my jeans pocket without risking destruction, embarrassment, or A Terrible Third Thing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Can I bother y'all to dredge up the 3DS XL size discussion again? I don't have a handbag or a backpack or anything but I'm thinking of upgrading before the free game promotion ends, especially because the left shoulder button on my 3DS is getting a little temperamental and my giant man's hands aren't relishing the way they feel after a few hours' play, and I wanna know if I could slip it in my jeans pocket without risking destruction, embarrassment, or A Terrible Third Thing

Yes unless you're a tiny little baby with baby pants.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

I have a little voltage converter because I have an NA DS and I live in a 240V region. It was like $10.

Edit: I want to buy an XL but also don't want to buy the same system twice. Also the local market seems to be flooded with used old 3DS so that doesn't help. Is save data saved on the game cart or on the 3DS?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 21, 2013

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Laser Spider posted:

Formatting the system memory will delete everything in the system itself. If the person who sold you that 3DS didn't delete his or her eShop account, you'll still be able to play those two games. I can't tell you exactly how to delete their saves, but basically every single video game these days has a way to do that, so check their manuals (and yes, manuals are digitally available on the system as well) to find out.

So... since the downloaded games are obviously saved on the SD card could I just back them up to my PC, wipe the 3DS and dump them back to the clean slate console without everything spontaneously combusting?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

I live in Malaysia and my official three-prong UK adapter works fine out here.

(This one)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I've had a 3DS for a few years now and the Nintendo Direct has me wanting to upgrade to an XL.

If I buy an XL with a game pre-installed on it, will I be able to run a system transfer between my 3DS and the XL without losing the pre-installed game?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Hungry Bit posted:

So... since the downloaded games are obviously saved on the SD card could I just back them up to my PC, wipe the 3DS and dump them back to the clean slate console without everything spontaneously combusting?

No, you can't. While the game data is stored on the SD card, the licence to them is on the system. Wiping the 3DS will prevent you from launching the games on the SD card.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I've had a 3DS for a few years now and the Nintendo Direct has me wanting to upgrade to an XL.

If I buy an XL with a game pre-installed on it, will I be able to run a system transfer between my 3DS and the XL without losing the pre-installed game?
From memory, all System Transfer does is take all your stuff from one 3DS, and dumps it on the other.

It shouldn't mess with anything that's on there already as long as it isn't the same thing as whatever you are transferring over. At the very worst, all you'd have to do is redownload the pre-installed game, since it would be in the XL's eShop account.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I got the XL with Super Mario 3D Land yesterday and I was able to redownload the game for free from the eShop after the system transfer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have a little voltage converter because I have an NA DS and I live in a 240V region. It was like $10.

Edit: I want to buy an XL but also don't want to buy the same system twice. Also the local market seems to be flooded with used old 3DS so that doesn't help. Is save data saved on the game cart or on the 3DS?

Save data for cartridge games is still on the cartridge. If you've bought digital games obviously they're stored on the SD card but you would have to do a system transfer to play your digital games on your new system without buying them again. I've never done it myself but by all accounts it's a pretty painless procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
There's an 8-bit-looking game on the eShop called Witch and Hero. Has anyone here downloaded it, and if so is it any good?

• Locked thread