Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Yannos posted:

Just finished the Necropolis storyline (case files 13)... Think I did it in two sittings; it's a really good read! My favorite epic-sized story so far. I did kinda miss why Dredd suddenly looks so terrible after being in the cursed earth though... doesn't take sunburn very well it seems. Checking Wikipedia is appears his injuries happen during a story called "Dead Man". Is the "Dead Man" story normally included in the case files? Maybe I just completely missed it.

"Dead Man" is in case files 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unknownone posted:

"Dead Man" is in case files 14.

Not in my copy, it isn't. The Dead Man has been published in TPB and is worth picking up.

Also out in TPB is volume 1 of IDW's Judge Dredd. It's not awful.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yannos posted:

I did kinda miss why Dredd suddenly looks so terrible after being in the cursed earth though... doesn't take sunburn very well it seems.
It's less sunburn, and more rad-burn.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Well then Judge McGruder took it better! She only got a beard while being in the cursed earth. Reading up on the wiki indicates that he got acid in the face which kind of explains his mangled nose a bit better than Rad-burn.

In any case it seems like it's correct that it's only available in TPB. It has some very good reviews on Amazon so I'll probably pick it up someday (the shocking reveal at the end of the story won't be as shocking now of course).

Although maybe it's healthier that I lock my Visa-card in an iso-cube of its own... My monthly payments have risen quite a bit since I started obsessively collecting Dredd stuff a while back :)

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Jedit posted:

Not in my copy, it isn't. The Dead Man has been published in TPB and is worth picking up.

Maybe I got confused, I was going off the quote from the 2000AD forums : TALE OF THE DEAD MAN IS in Case Files 14, it's the prologue story THE DEAD MAN that's missing. It is available as a separate book called The Dead Man.

Or the US case files are different from the UK ones, which is entirely possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unknownone posted:

Maybe I got confused, I was going off the quote from the 2000AD forums : TALE OF THE DEAD MAN IS in Case Files 14, it's the prologue story THE DEAD MAN that's missing. It is available as a separate book called The Dead Man.

Or the US case files are different from the UK ones, which is entirely possible.

The US Case Files are only up to volume 5, I think. Tale of the Dead Man is the postscript to the other story, which does not appear in the Case Files as those are reserved for the main Dredd strip.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Judge Dredd never had any crossovers with Nemesis/ABC Warriors, right? I picked up Vol 1 of the Complete Nemesis (it looks like this is all the US has so far) and it's wonderfully insane. Kevin O'Neill's artwork reminds me a bit of Simon Bisley in ABC Warriors: The Black Hole.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

david_a posted:

Judge Dredd never had any crossovers with Nemesis/ABC Warriors, right? I picked up Vol 1 of the Complete Nemesis (it looks like this is all the US has so far) and it's wonderfully insane. Kevin O'Neill's artwork reminds me a bit of Simon Bisley in ABC Warriors: The Black Hole.
Kevin O'Neill's artwork is great - I love looking for the little quips and snarky comments in the background signs and logos. Check out the Marshal Law comic for more of his work - it must take the guy days to do one panel.

Deathroller
May 10, 2008

david_a posted:

According to the Barney database over at 2000ad.org, in 1995 there was a Dredd story with the ABC warriors in called Hammerstein. I haven't read it though, something movie related I guess.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

Deathroller posted:

According to the Barney database over at 2000ad.org, in 1995 there was a Dredd story with the ABC warriors in called Hammerstein. I haven't read it though, something movie related I guess.

Yeah, I seem to remember it was kind of a prequel to the godawful Stallone film, which featured a Hammerstein cameo as Rico's wardroid bodyguard. It was sort of supposed to explain how he ended up in that junk shop in the movie in the first place, think it had him something to do with him being a survivor of the Battle of Armageddon that got accidentally reactivated or something. That was of course prior to Pat Mills' rather ambitious and somewhat convoluted attempt to merge several of his more famous strips into one universe a la Savage.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

That scene in Dredd where he tells the panhandler to get lost seemed out of character to me. Wasn't there a story once where Dredd tells a perp to stay put until he can come back to arrest him, and then the rest of the story is about how the perp dies after weeks of waiting or something?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

david_a posted:

There was 'Hammerstein', as mentioned (although it's pretty much been retconned with Mills' revisiting of the Volgan War in ABC Warriors), and in the early days of 2000AD Ro-Busters sometimes mentioned Mega-City One, but never visited it. Apart from that, the only crossovers were a Nemesis (and I think Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein) cameo in 'Helter Skelter' and Mek-Quake appearing with Dredd in a Walter The Wobot story.

And yes, O'Neill's art for Nemesis Book 1 is probably his masterwork. The level of detail and warped imagination is just insane.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!

Unfit For Space posted:

That scene in Dredd where he tells the panhandler to get lost seemed out of character to me. Wasn't there a story once where Dredd tells a perp to stay put until he can come back to arrest him, and then the rest of the story is about how the perp dies after weeks of waiting or something?

I do remember one where he cuffs a perp to a railing somewhere and he has to leave him there to pursue something. During his time away the perp gets completely robbed naked by other criminals and in the end he's killed when some fake ambulance comes around to harvest his limbs and organs. Maybe a bit too grisly for the movie :) ...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yannos posted:

I do remember one where he cuffs a perp to a railing somewhere and he has to leave him there to pursue something. During his time away the perp gets completely robbed naked by other criminals and in the end he's killed when some fake ambulance comes around to harvest his limbs and organs. Maybe a bit too grisly for the movie :) ...

That was a cadet who was doing patrol training with Dredd. You don't actually get to see anything gory, though - they just return to find only the handcuff dangling from the rail.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Payndz posted:

Apart from that, the only crossovers were a Nemesis (and I think Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein) cameo in 'Helter Skelter' and Mek-Quake appearing with Dredd in a Walter The Wobot story.

Are you forgetting Judge Giant, grandson of the Harlem Heroes captain?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I remember a one page story were a man left Brit-Cit and spent weeks swimming across the Atlantic. It all accumulated with the last couple of panels of him feeling elated that he was the first man in history to swim the Atlantic, and was expecting a heroes welcome with jubilant crowds cheering him. There on the shore at an entrance to Mega City One was a solitary Judge Dredd who told him he was so contaminated from the swim - from radiation and other myriads of infection - he was not allowed to enter the city on pain of death and he had to swim back. The last panel was this poor guy looking back forlornly at Dredd with his fists on his hips as he reluctantly turned back to the ocean.
Classic bastard Dredd.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Are you forgetting Judge Giant, grandson of the Harlem Heroes captain?

Crossovers with ABC Warriors.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

berzerkmonkey posted:

Kevin O'Neill's artwork is great - I love looking for the little quips and snarky comments in the background signs and logos. Check out the Marshal Law comic for more of his work - it must take the guy days to do one panel.

:twisted:

Yannos posted:

It's a rookie on his final evaluation, "Does this mean I've failed?" "In style."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anyone else here reading every case file? I'm up to 16 now and there seems to be a weird omission. A few case files ago it was halfway in the democrat movement and JD was going to allow them to do some more things, ie vote but then it abruptly stopped. I assumed it would continue later like it occasionally does but I'm now at part 16 and Dredd just was at a new years reception where he basically said he solved the democrat problem. Did they leave out half the democracy arc or something? Never came across that Americana story either.

edit: Oh never mind, now 300 pages into case file 16 they start the story back up again. Still very odd to have an epilogue story before the actual story.

Davincie fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 19, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Davincie posted:

Anyone else here reading every case file? I'm up to 16 now and there seems to be a weird omission. A few case files ago it was halfway in the democrat movement and JD was going to allow them to do some more things, ie vote but then it abruptly stopped. I assumed it would continue later like it occasionally does but I'm now at part 16 and Dredd just was at a new years reception where he basically said he solved the democrat problem. Did they leave out half the democracy arc or something? Never came across that Americana story either.

edit: Oh never mind, now 300 pages into case file 16 they start the story back up again. Still very odd to have an epilogue story before the actual story.

You won't find America in the Case Files. It's got its own volume, which it deserves.

The democracy arc had a one-year gap between Nightmares (CF15) and The Devil You Know (CF16). This is not an unreasonable amount of time between announcing a referendum and it taking place - witness the Scottish Independence referendum. Nightmares is also not an epilogue, it's a transition of phase.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nah wasn't talking bout Nightmares, there was a trade that was specifically about Dredd looking back on his big cases and the whole Democracy arc was one of them. Still I read it now and to be honest I found case files 16 to be kind of poor.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Yeah, you're coming to the period where aside from some work in the Megazine Jon Wagner stood back and left Dredd in the hands of other writers. Mark Millar was generally pretty bad, Grant Morrison tended to view him as just an action film hero from what I've heard and I tend to side with people who say Garth Ennis was just too big a fan, though he did have some fun stories. Wagner did return later though and The Pit is one of my all time favourite Dredd stories marking a definite return to form as far as I'm concerned, though there was a bit of a misstep later with Doomsday.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh, god, yeah. The early '90s. Not a good era for Dredd, but then not a good era for 2000AD in general, as it swung wildly between achingly politically correct and "look how loving TRANSGRESSIVE we are, you loving SQUARES!" (It was also the era of godawful Bisley-clone painted artwork that looked even worse in the comic because of the cheap paper and printing.)

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
The early 90's a ropey period? But it was the era that gifted us such classics as this gentleman's adventures:

Surely a high point for the comic! :)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Payndz posted:

Oh, god, yeah. The early '90s. Not a good era for Dredd, but then not a good era for 2000AD in general, as it swung wildly between achingly politically correct and "look how loving TRANSGRESSIVE we are, you loving SQUARES!" (It was also the era of godawful Bisley-clone painted artwork that looked even worse in the comic because of the cheap paper and printing.)

heh, I used to pick up Heavy Metal on my way back from college back then, reprints of manara-style euro weirdness (good) and aforementioned sub-bisley trash (not so good)

Also;

oh no

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

What do you mean by politically correct? Because I keep trying to get into old school 2000AD and being put off by how out-of-nowhere hitler levels of racist some of the stories are, especially when any asian people show up. It's like, they had Harlem Heroes to show how cool they are with black people, but then some buck toothed japanese midget shows up lugging a huge camera around and saying "me solly".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lurdiak posted:

What do you mean by politically correct?
Two words: Inspector Raam.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

What do you mean by politically correct? Because I keep trying to get into old school 2000AD and being put off by how out-of-nowhere hitler levels of racist some of the stories are, especially when any asian people show up. It's like, they had Harlem Heroes to show how cool they are with black people, but then some buck toothed japanese midget shows up lugging a huge camera around and saying "me solly".

Nobody considers "Blakee Pentax!" to be the high point of 2000AD's history. It has since been apologised for.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Payndz posted:

Two words: Inspector Raam.

As a kid, I thought that was a satire of extreme eco-views/veganism. Welp.

I remember quite liking Bix Barton, if only for the line "I'm not the monster you're looking for. I'm just exceedingly ugly."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Prenton posted:

As a kid, I thought that was a satire of extreme eco-views/veganism. Welp.
Actually, maybe I was thinking of the other eco-strip that ran around the same time, the name of which escapes me but was the same idea played totally seriously. Green Shoots, or something like that.

(Although Tharg did kind of apologise for "that thing with the sheep" in one of the anniversary specials: "What was I thinking?")

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 21, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Goddamn is that some fine B&W artwork, click through for bigger.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

The early 90's a ropey period? But it was the era that gifted us such classics as this gentleman's adventures:

Surely a high point for the comic! :)

Mainly for 'hard man' Terry Waite which is a wonderfully absurd concept.

Inspected Raam was from Dead Meat wasn't he? there was a Paul Kupperberg environmentalist/eco thrill around the same time (which was poo poo, US comics writers rarely were a good fit for 2000ad). In the quality era that gave us Zippy Couriers and CLOWN.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

david_a posted:

Satanus shows up in both Nemesis and Judge Dredd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

Nobody considers "Blakee Pentax!" to be the high point of 2000AD's history. It has since been apologised for.

You make it sound like I'm referring to a single incident. poo poo is chronic.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Satanus is one of the keystones of how Pat Mills links his 2000AD work together. He's the son of Old One Eye (Flesh), he fought Dredd (the Cursed Earth epic), his own spawn Golgotha battled the ABC Warriors, and he appeared in Nemesis. The only series I don't think he has a link to is Savage, though of course the ABC Warriors and Robusters do.

Edit: Yeah, Britain has a long, long history of "those funny foreigner" stereotypes and Wagner could be pretty bad for it during the 80's.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 22, 2013

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it wrong that I prefer B&W comics? I just read America and it was (art-wise) merely OK by my neurotic standards. Color seems to necessitate less detail 90% of the time. Fading of the Light looked abysmal; haven't read Cadet yet but it seems a bit better (or maybe just less bad). To be fair, I'm not sure that art in Fading of the Light would have improved much in B&W.

These are by far the newest Judge Dredd I've read; I've gone through the first 5 Case Files and I'm wondering whether I should continue with 6 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this more serious tone. Mega-City One seems too absurd a setting to try to play straight. It's also hard to reconcile stories involving rape that are in continuity with stories about killer interstellar crocodiles and interdimensional ghouls...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

david_a posted:

Is it wrong that I prefer B&W comics? I just read America and it was (art-wise) merely OK by my neurotic standards. Color seems to necessitate less detail 90% of the time. Fading of the Light looked abysmal; haven't read Cadet yet but it seems a bit better (or maybe just less bad). To be fair, I'm not sure that art in Fading of the Light would have improved much in B&W.

These are by far the newest Judge Dredd I've read; I've gone through the first 5 Case Files and I'm wondering whether I should continue with 6 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this more serious tone. Mega-City One seems too absurd a setting to try to play straight. It's also hard to reconcile stories involving rape that are in continuity with stories about killer interstellar crocodiles and interdimensional ghouls...

Fading of the Light was an early experiment in computer colouring. They acknowledge that it's bad, but it's too expensive to recolour it now.

The incongruity you're noticing between the tone of America and the Case Files is the effect of jumping forward ten years in time. If you read the Case Files up to 14 (which is where America fits in time) you'll see an increased shift towards mingling serious themes with the absurdity. America was a further quantum leap in showing that Dredd's world could handle adult stories, which is why it's so highly regarded.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something to bear in mind with the change in tone of Dredd (and 2000AD as a whole) over time is that the comic was created to cash in on the sci-fi boom of the late 70s, and nobody involved imagined it would last more than a few years before either folding or being absorbed into another title. The wacky poo poo from the early days was thrown in just because they could; if Wagner had known he'd still be writing it 36 years later and aiming it at adults he might have been more picky about the worldbuilding. (But then, it wouldn't be the same Dredd without some of the batshit crazy ideas of the first few years.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I finished Cadet and it might have been my favorite of the three. Judge Dredd gets to do actual detective work! :monocle: The rear end stabbing at the end was a nice touch to show that they don't take themselves entirely seriously.

Dredd looked pretty good for a ~60 year old. Is there an in-universe explanation for that? Isn't he a clone or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

After Necropolis he got some Rejuve treatments for his skin and there was a comic that showed he has some rejuve cream for his skin.

• Locked thread