Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A harrier hunting at Arcata Marsh.

A great egret fishing in Humboldt Bay.

The local barn owl says hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

That egret pic is awesome. Excellent shots.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

smallmouth posted:

That egret pic is awesome. Excellent shots.

Thanks! Although I am kind of "cheating" at getting those special moments, since these are taken from 120fps footage I'm shooting for a documentary.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Still counts. :colbert:

Everyone was complaining it was cold and miserable out today except the birds.

canadian geese by philip painter, on Flickr

swan by philip painter, on Flickr

pied billed grebe by philip painter, on Flickr

barn swallow by philip painter, on Flickr

barn swallow by philip painter, on Flickr

bank swallow by philip painter, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
God drat dude, you're really stepping it up.

Edit:

small-3187 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 14, 2013

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Bushtit :heysexy: by Icybacon, on Flickr

Paxonator
May 22, 2006

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Hey guys, just now getting into bird photography. My first venture into this was a little odd, but kinda cool. Every year here at a local state park they do a weekend called "Eagles Etc" and the bring lots of birds of prey for you to see up close.

They also have a place called Raptor Rehab that rehabilitates birds and then they do a public release of them back into the wild.

Raptor Rehab at lake DeGray by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

Raptor Rehab at lake DeGray by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

Also they bring in big birds from the local Zoo and you can get pretty close. Where else can you get an eagle headshot at 90mm at 1/60 sec.

Birds of prey from the Little Rock Zoo by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

Here's the whole set http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdorseydesign/sets/72157632634442960/with/8418894620/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Birds.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Finally getting some spring here.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Female lesser spotted woodpecker by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Female lesser spotted woodpecker by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Poor grade, but it was tiny and far away, but int he UK the lesser spotted woodpecker is insanely rare, so was really happy just to be able to get anything!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Finally getting some spring here.

Gorgeous! What kind of bird is that? ^^

junco by philip painter, on Flickr

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 21, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ever see something that you're sure is a world first only to be disappointed when a google search reveals you've just witnessed something ordinary?

Here's my version -- goose nesting in tree :(

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

smallmouth posted:

Gorgeous! What kind of bird is that? ^^

Not my pic, but it looks like a pair of great crested grebes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

One Swell Foop posted:

Not my pic, but it looks like a pair of great crested grebes.

Yep indeed. There's usually a few couples around. Lovely little creatures.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently it's still winter here in Wyoming.

snowy_grouse_day_fs 2 on Flickr

snowy_grouse_day_fs 1 on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

More burds.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Are those last ones Northern Shovelers?

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.
Was enjoying an extremely rare day of sun in this winter that never ends and ending up catching a Ruby-crowned Kinglet as it makes it way to northern Minnesota/Canada.

Taking a break by spcr050, on Flickr

Ruby-crowned Kinglet side by spcr050, on Flickr

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Man, do I love hummingbirds. Going to try putting up a feeder to see if we can draw in many locally, but Ottawa probably isn't a hotspot.

Colibri Focus by The.Rohit, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Green Woodpecker by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Look in the comments for a resized full frame. The d800 is an insane cropping machine. 300mm f/4

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Look in the comments for a resized full frame. The d800 is an insane cropping machine. 300mm f/4
I haven't been very active commenting in this thread or birding in general, but I wanted to pop in and say this is lovely. I've never seen this bird before.

Here's a recent one from me. Most of the water is still frozen here so I'll take what I can find.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I've just recently gotten into photography in general, and birds are some of the more entertaining and challenging subjects I've come across.

I like them because they're usually small, fast and will tease you with a song that makes you look the wrong way.

I hate them because they're usually small, fast and will tease you with a song that makes you look the wrong way.

At any rate, here are some that I've gotten near my workplace on breaks.

Immature Red-winged Blackbird by m.clifford82, on Flickr

Western Scrub Jay by m.clifford82, on Flickr

Unidentified by m.clifford82, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SKULE123 posted:

Man, do I love hummingbirds. Going to try putting up a feeder to see if we can draw in many locally, but Ottawa probably isn't a hotspot.

This is a great shot.

My family's cottage is about halfway between Ottawa and Kingston. Every summer the hummingbird feeder my aunt puts up attracts a few Ruby-Throated hummers. I expect you'll be able to draw in a few.

mclifford82 posted:

I like them because they're usually small, fast and will tease you with a song that makes you look the wrong way.

I hate them because they're usually small, fast and will tease you with a song that makes you look the wrong way.
Also, they're jerks. Very pretty jerks, but jerks.
That last picture of yours is a Chickadee, there are several species and I'm not sure which one you've got. Where are you?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SKULE123 posted:

I love this. I didn't actually see the other hummingbird the first time and now I love it even more.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

ExecuDork posted:

Also, they're jerks. Very pretty jerks, but jerks.
That last picture of yours is a Chickadee, there are several species and I'm not sure which one you've got. Where are you?

Northern Oregon. Looks like it might be a Black-capped Chickadee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_Chickadee

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I finally got a decent shot of one of these bastards. The squawk this thing let out when it finally took off was prehistoric. :catstare:

great blue heron by philip painter, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

smallmouth posted:

I finally got a decent shot of one of these bastards. The squawk this thing let out when it finally took off was prehistoric. :catstare:

This is loving dope. Herons and cranes sound like dinosaurs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

smallmouth posted:

Well done.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I managed to get out for a few hours yesterday. The snow is pretty much gone now and lots of migratory birds are flocking in.

Merlin

Horned Grebe

And a long eared owl (my first) that has seen better days. I assume this was a traffic fatality, although there's only a single wound on him that looks like a bullet hole. :( He was in such good shape that I took him home and am applying for a permit to get him stuffed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Here's that northern flicker I spent ages trying to get a photo of, I managed to get two all winter:

Woodpecker by hookshot88, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

HookShot posted:

Here's that northern flicker I spent ages trying to get a photo of, I managed to get two all winter:

Those are coming through my area now. One of them was calling for a mate on an alder tree while I was on the bluffs, waiting for some eagles to resume fishing.

A marsh wren:

The kites have been having amazing aerial battles over territory lately, but I haven't been close enough to get good material for stills out of it. Hopefully I'll get some good closeups before they stop being hormonal dickwads for the better part of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgi2szAIntk

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
The western scrub jay near my work finally let me close enough to get some better res shots. So I just fired like mad. This was probably the best of them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I might have more non sage-grouse to shoot if it didn't snow every f-ing week out here.

brewersblackbirdbitesbeetle 1315 on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

swan1 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

drips and the splash

30 minutes of stalking up on this guy, sun behind me so he couldn't see me when he looked up, 3x closer than my last series. Very rewarding when you get that extra distance closer.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

30 minutes of stalking up on this guy, sun behind me so he couldn't see me when he looked up, 3x closer than my last series. Very rewarding when you get that extra distance closer.

Nice shots! I'm finding the same, that the closer each shot gets (or the less I have to crop) the more rewarding. The Western Scrub Jay that I posted earlier on this page is very skittish, but on Monday I was able to get quite close (about 50% frame coverage).

Western Scrub Jay by m.clifford82, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Scrub Jays are pretty trainable, if you provide some sort of food incentive you may be able to get pretty close to them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Actually sat down and sorted through the some of the last couple months photos.

Western Kingbird 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Least Sandpipers by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Baby Killdeer by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Lesser Yellowlegs by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Orange-Crowned Warbler by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

American Pipit by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Say's Phoebe by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Brown Creeper by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Brown creepers are so cool.

tree swallow by philip painter, on Flickr