Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
What the gently caress are you doing working for free? No overtime? Are you just clocking out and doing it voluntarily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Roki B posted:

What the gently caress are you doing working for free? No overtime? Are you just clocking out and doing it voluntarily?

Yes.

I'm doing it because jobs for new nursing grads are -very- hard to find. I think half of the staff are new grads. Anyways, I redid my resume today.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes.

I'm doing it because jobs for new nursing grads are -very- hard to find. I think half of the staff are new grads. Anyways, I redid my resume today.

If they ask you to do it, that's illegal. If they threaten your position because you don't work for free, that is also illegal. If you report them to your state board of labor and they are found to not be in compliance, they will face large monetary fines. You should not work for free. Nobody should work for free, and most importantly any organization that requests you work for free or demands you clock out and continue to work is probably violating a few labor laws that will cost them much more than what they would have owed you.

Dept. Of Labor posted:

Employee Rights
Employees may find out how to file a complaint by contacting the local Wage and Hour Division office, or by calling the program's toll-free help line at 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243). In addition, an employee may file a private suit, generally for the previous two years of back pay (three years in the case of a willful violation) and an equal amount as liquidated damages, plus attorney's fees and court costs.

It is a violation of the Act to fire or in any other manner discriminate against an employee for filing a complaint or for participating in a legal proceeding under the Act.

Your State DOL

Hospitals are generally run by greedy fucks, so don't let them screw you out of your money.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Roki B posted:

If they ask you to do it, that's illegal. If they threaten your position because you don't work for free, that is also illegal. If you report them to your state board of labor and they are found to not be in compliance, they will face large monetary fines. You should not work for free. Nobody should work for free, and most importantly any organization that requests you work for free or demands you clock out and continue to work is probably violating a few labor laws that will cost them much more than what they would have owed you.

Your State DOL

Hospitals are generally run by greedy fucks, so don't let them screw you out of your money.

Absolutely. The only reason I haven't complained yet is because I don't want it to affect me down the road, when I look for another job. :ohdear:

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
California is pretty good about unpaid OT complaints. I was recently called about a hospital I used to work at getting sued for labor law violations, 3 years after I left/was fired for missing too much work after getting H1N1 from a patient sent up with no precautions in place.

In other news, is it dumb to take physiology in an 8 week summer class? I really need an A or B to stay competitive, and if I take this over the summer I will be finished with all prereqs two weeks before applications are due to start in the spring. Otherwise I'd have to wait until February to apply and start in the fall.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Is anyone here working in Western Oregon? I'm coming up soon on my two year anniversary of being an RN working for the same facility and am determined to get very far away from the town and hospital I am currently working at. I really want to work in either Portland, or Eugene, OR; I understand that the job markets may be tough in these areas, but I have time to search and am not too choosy about what kind of position I end up in as long as it's NOT HERE.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Jamais Vu Again posted:

In other news, is it dumb to take physiology in an 8 week summer class? I really need an A or B to stay competitive, and if I take this over the summer I will be finished with all prereqs two weeks before applications are due to start in the spring. Otherwise I'd have to wait until February to apply and start in the fall.

It depends on your memorization and retention abilities. I took A&P2 in a 6 week summer term. I did fine in the class because I memorize relativly quickly, but my retention of the knowledge was not nearly as high as it was from a 16 week class. If that's the only class you have remaining to take, I'd say go for it and just study like hell for those 8 weeks.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Anyone here go to school in LA county?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I passed my last semester with an A! My preceptorship starts on Thursday, and I graduate May 8. I'm so excited.

Except for shelling out almost $600 to take my NCLEX.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Yarbald posted:

I passed my last semester with an A! My preceptorship starts on Thursday, and I graduate May 8. I'm so excited.

Except for shelling out almost $600 to take my NCLEX.

wtf? what state do you live in?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

With the changes in medicaid/care coming, the hospital I work for is losing its mind, laying off ancillary staff and generally tightening up. Some positions are being eliminated, but luckily my GN program was the last one they were hiring for before they began the hiring freeze.

One of the ways they're cutting costs is that they are making ANMs take a team of patients 2 or 3 days a week. This eliminates the need for many GNs (who, lets face it, eat up a lot of $$) or transferring nurses who will require orientation to the unit. Unfortunately, that's what happened to my position in trauma, even though I've been orienting in the trauma unit for 3 weeks. On the other hand, they're moving me to a vascular surgery floor, so I still have a job in a unit that will give me critical care training.

Since I haven't had experience with anything but oncology, neuro and trauma in school, what can I expect in a cardiology/vascular surgery environment?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Fatty Patty posted:

wtf? what state do you live in?

Arizona. $300 to apply to the Board of Nursing, $50 for a new fingerprint card, $200 to register for the NCLEX.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Just got a call for my second interview for a new grad RN position in Critical care (CCU, ICU or Open heart recovery). I currently work in the CCU as a tech so I am really excited to get this call!!

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

I'm a college senior graduating in December with a BS biology and a BA Spanish. I've been looking at accelerated BSN programs to apply to in a couple of years, but I have a few questions.

Is rigor of the undergrad you went to considered or just GPA when applying? I don't have a great GPA and knew I probably wouldn't when I went here, but I really do like bio. It's something like 2.8, or 3.3 if the other (easier) college I went to is factored in too. Should I try to stay longer in undergrad until my GPA here is 3.0, or is combined alright?

Is the direct entry MSN a better option if you already have a science degree? I'm guessing it's harder to get into, but does it really make a difference compared to an ABSN?

One more semi-related question - I'm taking a CNA class soon. One of the requirements is a pair of white close-toed, closed heel shoes. Any suggestions?

Sorry for so many questions! The advising department here is useless or I'd ask them.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Pharm final today to end the semester and finally it is summer break after 3 years of summers with school. Feels good, man. Really tough semester with Pharm, Patho, and a clinical (with lab). Trying to balance just being pleased it's over with the frustration of the grading scale. Last semester I got a 92% in a class for a B, and I just found out I got a 92.52% in my clinical class (93 for A). I just see my GPA dropping and dropping and graduate school becoming less and less likely to happen. I want the old grading scale back :(

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
As someone looking to change jobs (gently caress IT) and get into Nursing, should I be looking at a BSN? I already have a BA in Psych, so my understanding from reading this thread, and looking elsewhere is most places would drop me into the BSN program, with pre-reqs done, is that correct?

Despite the kind of terror in the pit of my stomach about changing my career so drastically, I'm really excited about this. Even though it'll be some years before its all done!

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Finagle posted:

As someone looking to change jobs (gently caress IT) and get into Nursing, should I be looking at a BSN? I already have a BA in Psych, so my understanding from reading this thread, and looking elsewhere is most places would drop me into the BSN program, with pre-reqs done, is that correct?

Despite the kind of terror in the pit of my stomach about changing my career so drastically, I'm really excited about this. Even though it'll be some years before its all done!

I made a similar change and most of my pre-reqs were covered. While each program has different requirements, my school required that your A&P and Pathophysiology classes had to be taken within the last five years, so you might have to consider doing a semester or two before applying for the nursing program if your school is similar.

As an aside, if you don't like IT because you hate working long hours to solve systematic problems for people who are often ungrateful for your help, nursing might not be a great choice either. Heh.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

quote:

As an aside, if you don't like IT because you hate working long hours to solve systematic problems for people who are often ungrateful for your help, nursing might not be a great choice either. Heh.

Nah, its the lack of any satisfaction. At the end of the day, in IT, I have nothing to show for the effort I put in. I work in non-profit IT, because I wanted to be able to say I was helping people (to help other people). I've really realized that I'd rather help people directly.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Has anyone any experience with a Paramendic to RN transition course?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I Graduated Saturday and got a call yesterday offering me a position as a critical care RN at the hospital I am working at now! I will do a rotation through each of our critical care areas before getting my final placement! I am super exited to get my first job!!!!!

Spee 2000
Jan 3, 2010
Hey guys and gals! sorry to join the party late! I am a male LPN in my first semester of RN training in New York City. I am at the top of my class and generally pretty Goony when it comes to science. Happy to finally find this board!

I also love NCLEX study groups :)

Best,
Spee

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Anyone know anything about becoming a clinicals instructor? Not something I want to do right now but would like to pursue in the future. From most of what I've read it looks like a Masters is preferred. Would an application be laughed at if I only had my Bachelor's plus X number of years of hospital experience?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Koivunen posted:

Anyone know anything about becoming a clinicals instructor? Not something I want to do right now but would like to pursue in the future. From most of what I've read it looks like a Masters is preferred. Would an application be laughed at if I only had my Bachelor's plus X number of years of hospital experience?

We had some clinical instructors on my floor who were ADN only though I don't believe they did any class lectures so im sure BSN plus hospital experience should be fine.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Koivunen posted:

With my program, a BSN with at least 2 years clinical experience are required

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Koivunen posted:

At my school, they required BSN and 4 years experience. A masters is pretty much required for lecturing in general.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I have an interview tomorrow for a PCT job at a big hospital in the city (one of three) where I would love to work at when I graduate in a year. Any tips?
Also, as an international student I have to apply for special permission to work there but can't do that til I have a job offer in hand. Should I tell them at the interview? I don't want to be deceptive but I'm worried they won't want to hire me with the extra hassle. It wont be an issue when I graduate because my permanent residency (I just got married) will be done by then but...I dunno, I'm so nervous :(

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
One year down, two more to do.

Now to get some booze in me and forget today's shameful OSCE performance.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

After waiting for school to release my transcripts, I finally have an NCLEX date! I had a Kaplan Live Review class after graduation which seemed to help, besides doing ~100 questions a day and practice tests is there anything else I can do to prepare?

I scored above 900 on my exit HESI, which is supposedly a good indicator I'll do well on the NCLEX. I know the difficulty was bumped up this spring though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Yarbald posted:

After waiting for school to release my transcripts, I finally have an NCLEX date! I had a Kaplan Live Review class after graduation which seemed to help, besides doing ~100 questions a day and practice tests is there anything else I can do to prepare?

I scored above 900 on my exit HESI, which is supposedly a good indicator I'll do well on the NCLEX. I know the difficulty was bumped up this spring though.

Congrats on graduating and getting everything lined up. How long are you waiting to take the NCLEX? To prepare for the NCLEX, I completed about 80 Kaplan practice questions a day and read the rationals. Between your live review and doing questions, I'll think you'll be just fine.

And for comparison, I scored whatever was equivalent to a 65% on my exit HESI and I passed the NCLEX in 75 questions.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats on graduating and getting everything lined up. How long are you waiting to take the NCLEX? To prepare for the NCLEX, I completed about 80 Kaplan practice questions a day and read the rationals. Between your live review and doing questions, I'll think you'll be just fine.

And for comparison, I scored whatever was equivalent to a 65% on my exit HESI and I passed the NCLEX in 75 questions.

I graduated on May 8, I finally got my authorization to test on Tuesday and scheduled for June 6. Wanna get it over with before everything starts leaking out of my head and (more importantly) start looking for a job!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How much does the average straight out of nursing school nurse make in the US? Right now nursing students and working nurses are campaigning for a entry level salary of $3600 (before taxes) after being fed up with 2.8-3k. I'm all for it, just interested how it compares. It takes 3 years of full time studies to become a nurse here, so it's reasonable.

Edit: Should maybe clarify that the salary is per month, and that "here" is Sweden.

VVV Ah, ok. Thanks. Wow so in other words you could earn as much $6400 a month working 40 hour weeks? That's close to a doctors salary here, haha.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 25, 2013

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

How much does the average straight out of nursing school nurse make in the US? Right now nursing students and working nurses are campaigning for a entry level salary of $3600 (before taxes) after being fed up with 2.8-3k. I'm all for it, just interested how it compares. It takes 3 years of full time studies to become a nurse here, so it's reasonable.

It really depends on what state you work in, It varies considerably. I'm in Iowa and new grads make between 20 and 21 an hour. I've seen some other states that start between 30 and 40.

Lacertine
May 3, 2013

Finagle posted:

Nah, its the lack of any satisfaction. At the end of the day, in IT, I have nothing to show for the effort I put in. I work in non-profit IT, because I wanted to be able to say I was helping people (to help other people). I've really realized that I'd rather help people directly.

Again, another reason you may not want to get into nursing...

Read this thread http://allnurses.com/nursing-activism-healthcare/nursing-job-satisfaction-828530.html

You will be put in situations every single day where you will either have to chose to cut corners, or stay 3 hours past your shift. It can be an extremely powerless profession to work in because so many things (almost everything aside from how you react to problems) are out of your control.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about becoming a nurse would be to shadow two or three registered nurses on a busy medsurg floor. It is nothing like it looks on TV and in movies.

Lacertine fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 26, 2013

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MrOnBicycle posted:

This is from 2011, but should give you an idea.

http://www.degreetree.com/resources/nurse-salary-by-state

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Etrips posted:

This is from 2011, but should give you an idea.

http://www.degreetree.com/resources/nurse-salary-by-state

Thanks.

Wow, those are high salaries.

Edit: And yes, I'm disregarding the cost of health insurance / higher living costs etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 25, 2013

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lacertine posted:

My advice to anyone who is thinking about becoming a nurse would be to shadow two or three registered nurses on a busy medsurg floor. It is nothing like it looks on TV and in movies.

As a nurse on a busy med-surg floor, I wholeheartedly recommend this. Its nothing like Scrubs. :emo:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Those aren't really close to starting salaries though for new nurses, already in Iowa.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has the info you're looking for.

source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291141.htm

I can tell you the starting wage in central florida is $22-$24/hr

It makes sense why California's nursing grads can't get a job in CA. Gov't regulated nurse to patient ratios, oh and this:

Lacertine
May 3, 2013
The starting wages in the Washington DC metro area and surrounding areas are laughably low considering the cost of living. I always wondered how the starting wage in DC could be $25.89/hr when the starting wage in Delaware is $27.90. You can imagine how my mind was blown when I relocated to DC.

Yeah California seems like the promise land for nurses. I have friends who work in NYC and Boston and they make $30+/hr but you also have to live in NYC or Boston, which means the cost of living will destroy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

The Antipop posted:

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has the info you're looking for.

source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291141.htm

I can tell you the starting wage in central florida is $22-$24/hr

It makes sense why California's nursing grads can't get a job in CA. Gov't regulated nurse to patient ratios, oh and this:

This is... not right. I live in Minnesota, and there is absolutely no way that something over $100,000 would be an "average." I work in the ICU and I bring home about $3200 a month after taxes and health insurance are deducted. Before taxes I make about $50k a year, and after taxes and insurance, I bring home about $38k a year. I mean, if there's a nurse that is still doing bedside nursing and has been at the same hospital for 40 years and is working full-time night shift and weekends, there's a possibility that they could approach the $100k mark before taxes, but there's no way that's an average.