Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Arg I'm on my way out but I take Matt Moulson. Dude is good at hockey and looks like he does heroin. I'll be playing him LW and he has a 3,133,333 caphit until 2013-2014

Thank you for not letting him drop, I would've been forced to pick him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

there are good players that don't shoot well and i dont think any defenceman is going to shoot at 11%

D shoot at around 5%. Anything above 7 is really suspect.

Also most good players shoot well. That's part of why they are considered good players. The difference between a guy who gets third line duties and becomes a checker, and the guy who gets top line minutes, is often their shooting ability.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
your kid is weak. My kid could eat your kids.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

those are awful stats though. the last one is garbage and you only really acquire the first two when you don't have the puck, not to mention how terrible they are in terms of bias

I'm pretty sure his corsi numbers aren't that bad this year, all things considered. Schenn's biggest problem is that he doesn't pass the eye test. A guy with his size and pedigree should have been more than he is. That's not his fault.

Also if this is a double post, sorry. On phone.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm pretty sure his corsi numbers aren't that bad this year, all things considered. Schenn's biggest problem is that he doesn't pass the eye test. A guy with his size and pedigree should have been more than he is. That's not his fault.

Also if this is a double post, sorry. On phone.
He's 24, he's got a couple of more seasons to figure it out.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Great pic with Lanny! This thread could get completely derailed.... Oh yeah here's the one of my nephew with Ovie that caused ToxicSunset to have an aneurism.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What is this, the fantasy draft and brag about our kids thread?! :argh:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I am legitimately confused about who to pick right now and haibbi's long deliberations are not helping

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hi, this is GM Son of Habibi, phoning in our 5th round pick from the Battle of the [Marching] Bands competition at UC Davis' (my mom went here a million years ago) biggest festival of the year. Obviously, my dad is pretty busy at the moment, what with having to look after me and my very pregnant mother, so he handed me the phone and said, 'Here, you deal with this poo poo. You can pick whomever you want and everyone will just think it's cute or something. Even that Ducks fan.' Ha ha, I like ducks. Good one dad.

So, without further ado, the Los Angeles Kings (really, dad? The Kings? Wow) will poop ourselves in selecting Dan Boyle, D, 36 with a retarded cute cap hit of 6,666,667 million dollars (dad says it's a good thing I can't count yet).

Dad thinks Boyle is one of the most underrated players in the NHL, even going back to his 60+ point days with TBL. Now, sure, he may have one foot in the grave, but that's alright because he can skate on one foot better than most guys can on two.

It's further true that he may have lost a step, but his game never revolved around having blazing speed. It revolves around his incredible skating ability, fantastic hands, and ability to see the game. He's also still one of the best PP quarterbacks in the NHL, and while he's going to be 37 next season, it's not at all unlikely that he'll continue playing at an elite, or close to, level for another 3 or 5 years, even if the last one or two of those are on sheer strength of will alone.

Only a season and change removed from consistently putting up 50+ point campaigns (despite being partnered with Douglas loving Murray), this season, he's close to a .5PPG and 15 goal pace (actually higher than his last few years) despite playing on what has for large stretches been a somewhat surprisingly anemic offense.

Playing opposite Weber on the PP (haha that's just unfair, dad), and otherwise anchoring the second defensive pair, where he'll look good playing with just about anyone (even Douglas loving Murray), Boyle is a threat to do something impressive or inspiring on every shift. Oh, and did I mention that despite being eligible for Denny's senior citizen special, he can still make your Norris favorite look like a pylon? :smug:

When he's not single-handedly making your team look like a a collection of peewees, Dan Boyle enjoys banging his hot wife, banging your hot wife, and banging gently caress Corey Perry in his ugly god drat gently caress face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsmHXBGohV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

gently caress. Yeah. Dad.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2013

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

For this next pick, I'd like to turn things over to team owner and legend Mario Lemieux.

First of all I'd like to thank all of de great fans in the city of Pittsburgh. You guys are de best, keep it up. The Pittsburgh Penguins are pleased to select a living legend, a one time cornerstone of de Pittsburgh community, right wing, Jaromir Jagr

Caphit: 4, 500, 000

Jaromir is a tremendous player even at the age of 41. His game is not built on speed, but strength and he's lost none of that. He's still a gamebreaker, still a great player, and like Marty St. Louis he'll bring the right culture to my locker room: a culture of hard work and a desire to win. I am not at all concerned about any of the negative press surrounding him. His teammates have loved him everywhere he's gone. He's old, but I'm built to win now, and with Jagr, I have a great chance to.

Welcome home old friend.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I think Jagr is a GREAT pick for the guy picking two spots ahead of me.

edit: I want to start my write-up now to save time but I just know karma will strike me and IANSS will select my guy.

mozza fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jagr's pretty cool but man is that a reach.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
On a win now team he's better than pretty much every player picked in the last two rounds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean it was a tough decision for me given Jagr's age but my team being win now helped tilt things that way. Jagr owns still and probably will for at least a few more years.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
From the other thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Ok I won't be able to post a long explanation but I'll make my pick as soon as possible after IANSS.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mennoknight posted:

your kid is weak. My kid could eat your kids.

What did your kid do in order to be raised as a Flames fan? That's straight up mean. I kid, I kid

Lanny doll + real Lanny is cool though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I highly approve of the Jagr pick, just to troll him for signing in Philly. What a jerkass mullet face.

I was also really hoping Stastny would fall more. Just more evidence that expensive players aren't going to fall very far, so hoarding cap space isn't going to do jack. 2013's UFA crop looks miserable too... 2014 looks really nice, but then they always do before anyone signs an extension.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 21, 2013

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Aw man I was planning on making my 3rd line all old people who will probably retire next year.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I get the luxury of picking the player I debated picking before taking Staal last round. I believe he is the best forward available.

The Devils select Patrik Elias.

Criminally underrated, Elias put up 78 points two years ago and has been the Devils' leading scorer again this year. He is a UFA but will likely re-sign for about the same $6m cap. He gives me a playmaker who has chemistry with Parise, can play in all situations, and his vision and smarts are absolute top tier in the league. He is the veteran presence among the forwards and I have the benefit of drafting my number one center after my number two center. I think I can afford to wait to draft some defense because now I have a pretty awesome forward corps:

?? -- Elias -- Parise
Landeskog -- JStaal -- ??

Carlson

Those four forwards are not only pretty productive offensively but that is the best defense out of your top forwards you can ask for, or almost. I

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm back!

e: I have a quick question for Kings/Flyers fan, can Jeff Carter play wing? At all? I've never seen him or read anything about him but he seems to be a pure goal scorer type of guy so he seems like he'd fit.

e2: mozza?

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 21, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah Carter can play wing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

T-Bone posted:

Yeah Carter can play wing.

I'm still hammering out my options, probably won't make one of those positioning lists until I've got like 8 guys

e: You know Habibi I'm thrilled your kid knows who I am. I didn't kow I was such a huge factor in your life. :)

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 21, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

I'm still hammering out my options, probably won't make one of those positioning lists until I've got like 8 guys

e: You know Habibi I'm thrilled your kid knows who I am. I didn't kow I was such a huge factor in your life. :)
Don't get too excited - he doesn't. Reread that line.

And if I have my way he never will... ;)

E: That is, he is aware, now, in a roundabout way that at least one Ducks fan exists. But that is all he will ever know. :colbert:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 21, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

No comments on my Eliaa pick?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Similar to Jagr IMO. Bit younger and more points but an old dude who continues to produce. I'm OK with it.

The thing that bugged me about him was his pt production in last years finals run, but that's a pretty minor qualm.

I don't like how early the old dudes are going (love the Dan Boyle pick BTW), but given I want to pick certain younger guys still on the board, I'm glad you guys are going with the old dudes instead.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Similar to Jagr IMO. Bit younger and more points but an old dude who continues to produce. I'm OK with it.

The thing that bugged me about him was his pt production in last years finals run, but that's a pretty minor qualm.

I don't like how early the old dudes are going (love the Dan Boyle pick BTW), but given I want to pick certain younger guys still on the board, I'm glad you guys are going with the old dudes instead.

Considered Jagr over Boyle, but I think Boyle brings more to my team. Plus he's younger. Relatively speaking, heh. It was admittedly also a little homer-ish, but the addition of Boyle arguably added more dimensions to the Sharks than the addition of Thornton, IMO. Having a puck mover like that on the back end is invaluable. And man can he still move it. Glad the first response to it wasn't someone questioning my sanity. :)

Elias I just sort of passed over. I thought if I was going to take some old dudes, there were others I preferred, even if his production has looked good.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 21, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Well the thing with Elias is that he's probably playing the best all-around hockey of his career, or very close to it. 78 points last year and this year he had 30 points in 30 games before the entire team took a poo poo.

With Jagr, he's like 40 and clearly isn't even close to the player he used to be, although still flashes brilliance and is still very solid. Elias is 37 but he really hasn't lost a step -- if you watch him play every day you realize how valuable he is -- so smart on the ice, plays both ends of the puck beautifully, is a terrific passer, plays PK and PP and 20 minutes a game. He was interviewed earlier this season about his next contract and he says he feels amazing and wants to play another four-five seasons if possible.

Elias has a lot left in the tank despite his age and is still a top point producer even now, so it's not like I'm picking a guy like Selanne who has maybe a year left before retirement.

EDIT: Not to mention my core of Parise-Elias-Staal-Landeskog is pretty nasty in terms of playing both sides of the puck. Here's to winning a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
With our fifth round pick, the Islanders happily select C Mika Zibanejad.

I had another player happily picked out and ready to go, but I had the intention of picking Zibanejad from the get-go and it's getting to the point where he could last 20 more rounds or be taken with the next pick. The other guy I was eyeing is 10 years older, absolutely won't last until my next pick, but someone roughly comparable will. Zibanejad is exactly the style of player I want to build around, and I'll kick myself if he's not on my team. He just turned 20 two days ago, and though he doesn't have the highest ceiling of recent top 10 picks, he's starting to show his ability to absolutely dominate possession. A "bad" game from Zibanejad means he only throws a few hits and never hurts the team defensively. In a good game, he's just unstoppable on the puck and in pursuit, shows incredible hockey sense and playmaking ability he definitely didn't possess when we drafted him, scores timely goals, and is a bull on the boards. I like him more than Landeskog and I love Landeskog. He will be a very complementary second line centre to Mike Richards and I'm excited to have him.

I think this is a homer pick in the sense I wouldn't know how awesome he is if I didn't watch him every night, but that's hardly a bad thing. Ultimately I want to build a team that I like that plays a style I enjoy watching and think will win games, so I'm delighted with the pick.

20-years old, $1.744 cap hit until 2015, 37gp/7g/13a/20p this year, scored the WJC winning-goal in 2012

- M. Richards - Perry
- Zibanejad -
- - -
- - -

Kulikov -
- -
- -

Quick
-

mozza fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 21, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

Well the thing with Elias is that he's probably playing the best all-around hockey of his career, or very close to it. 78 points last year and this year he had 30 points in 30 games before the entire team took a poo poo.

With Jagr, he's like 40 and clearly isn't even close to the player he used to be, although still flashes brilliance and is still very solid. Elias is 37 but he really hasn't lost a step -- if you watch him play every day you realize how valuable he is -- so smart on the ice, plays both ends of the puck beautifully, is a terrific passer, plays PK and PP and 20 minutes a game. He was interviewed earlier this season about his next contract and he says he feels amazing and wants to play another four-five seasons if possible.

Elias has a lot left in the tank despite his age and is still a top point producer even now, so it's not like I'm picking a guy like Selanne who has maybe a year left before retirement.

EDIT: Not to mention my core of Parise-Elias-Staal-Landeskog is pretty nasty in terms of playing both sides of the puck. Here's to winning a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games.

Jagr not being close to the player he used to be just means he's not close to putting up 3PPG anymore. :) It probably also helps that Elias also plays on a better team, but I also haven't really watched the guy consistently in years, so. /shrug

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was about to hate on the Zibanejad pick, but then I remembered that the reason I don't like him is that he never got higher than like a 75 overall for me on NHL 13 after a few seasons. What a bust.

edit: Austrian Mook is up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

With Jagr, he's like 40 and clearly isn't even close to the player he used to be, although still flashes brilliance and is still very solid.

Jagr used to be the best player in the world though. Not the player he used to be is still a great player. He was leading Dallas in points before he got traded.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Jeff Carter can absolutely play wing, and I don't have the split stats or anything but I think his playstyle is consistent regardless of position (aka he doesn't turn into a playmaker as a centre and sniper on the wing).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

From the other thread

That certainly explains his preternatural vision of the game. Dude probably sees three rinks where most people only see a part of one.

"Pass to the one in the middle!"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Zibanejad. Was really hoping he'd drop around

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man the last 5 picks are all major homer picks - not necessarily bad ones, although I think Jagr is a stretch. Now I fully expect T-Bone to pick ____ (he won't).

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

I love Zibanejad. Was really hoping he'd drop around

Were you planning on picking him, and if so, roughly what round? You were honestly the one guy I was worried about, Sens fans know this guy is legit, for others he might have flown under the radar.

I'm not arguing Zibanejad is currently better than the players who will be picked in this round (though, at a 45-point pace in his rookie year, he's not far off), but he's got 15-20 years of career left and he's the kind of guy who has a positive impact even if he's not producing.

edit: and for the record I like the Elias pick, he's been a great player for 15 years now. We're all excited about youth but there's something to be said for a guy who's been getting it done as long as Connor McDavid has been alive. It's a great pick in a 3 or even 5 year plan, and beyond that any planning is absurd (even though I'm aiming for centre-pieces that are secure for a decade).

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 21, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

Man the last 5 picks are all major homer picks - not necessarily bad ones, although I think Jagr is a stretch. Now I fully expect T-Bone to pick ____ (he won't).

Probably going to see more of it now as we get into players who are more difficult to rate and separate from their peers based purely on stats / history and people start taking into account elements that are more noticeable when you've been watching a player for a while. Eg: I think Boyle brings a lot more than his stats would indicate, but if he wasn't on a team I watch consistently, I probably wouldn't have as good a read on that. Not that his stats don't separate him already (the guy had statistically been just about the most consistent offensive dman in the league over the 4 or 5 seasons preceding this one), but I know for a fact that at almost 37 he's pretty much still skating like he was 32.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 21, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zibanejad is easily a top 10 prospect right now and having a pretty good season so I don't think that's a stretch at all.

I'm actually a little surprised more top prospects haven't been selected yet. It's basically only the guys who've made an immediate impact in their rookie seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked Elias as a pick about as much as Jagr, but I opted for Jagr because I like him more. Both are still very good, though. Jagr is a better goalscorer, Elias a a better playmaker. I felt I could use the scorer more since I have MSL as a playmaker.

• Locked thread