Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Cut them up or keep drying them. The texture should be uniform. This is jerky, not seared ahi

The offending pieces are cut up and back on the fan. Thank you, goon sir/madam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Does anyone know Mongolian food? I've been trying to translate a menu but the internet is useless and I don't know any Mongolians.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Breaky posted:

Anyone got a good website or cookbook recommendation for Portuguese and / or Brazilian dishes?

The Food of Portugal

Sorry I forgot to reply to this, but this is the book I use for Portugese. It's pretty in-depth and has a lot of good recipes.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, for bun, and yeah, it's definitely nuoc cham. Thanks for helping me with names. I now know that I like ordering this dish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAn_th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng and that I totally have all the ingredients to make nuoc cham in my house right now

Here's some more info:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_%28Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng%29

http://goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Vietnamese#Prepared_fish_sauce_.28n.C6.B0.E1.BB.9Bc_ch.E1.BA.A5m.29

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Allahu Snackbar posted:

The Food of Portugal

Sorry I forgot to reply to this, but this is the book I use for Portugese. It's pretty in-depth and has a lot of good recipes.

Thanks!

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I'm making some boerewors for a party in a few weeks. The problem is that I am an ignorant American that's never been to South Africa, never tried boerewors, and have never even seen that type of sausage in person, ever. I basically just picked the boerewors because I thought the spice combination looked really interesting (I love clove and coriander!). So, I looked at a bunch of recipes online and kind of tweaked them into something I think might be tasty. What I'm wondering about is the grind, it looks like most of them are going for a medium grind, but most of the sausage recipes I'm looking at for a general reference in Charcuterie use a small plate.

Is this a texture thing, or something to do with the way boerewors appears to be a big, continuous unlinked sausage, while most of the recipes in Charcuterie ARE linked? Incidentally, I plan on linking this stuff, which I think I'm not supposed to do if I want to be traditional, but because I'm making 7 lbs of it and I think the links would be easier to handle and store. Should I go ahead with the medium grind? Also, any other recipe suggestions or general tips for boerewors? I'm really less concerned with making traditional boerewors and more concerned with making a really tasty, appetizing sausage for guests that may not necessarily have adventurous taste buds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I noticed pork cheek for sale at my supermarket and its really cheap. Outside of stews/casseroles whats a good use that works particularly well with pork cheek?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Scott Bakula posted:

I noticed pork cheek for sale at my supermarket and its really cheap. Outside of stews/casseroles whats a good use that works particularly well with pork cheek?

If I ever saw pork cheek I would buy it and make guanciale out of it.

Here is an adaptation from Rhulman book:

1 kg pork jowl
70g kosher salt
70g sugar
10g garlic
15 black peppercorns, cracked with the side of a knife
1 large bunch thyme

Wash & dry pig face
Combine dry cure ingredients, insert pig face
Cure in fridge for 4-6 days (until pig face is stiff), redistributing daily
Rinse well, hang pig face for 1-3 weeks to dry

Then I'd make spaghetti carbonara

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
These are individual cuts as if I was buying pre-cubed beef. Guanciale isn't really an option.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Scott Bakula posted:

These are individual cuts as if I was buying pre-cubed beef. Guanciale isn't really an option.

Have a talk with the butcher and ask him to stop ruining the meats, but still buy those and make carnitas with them:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Roasting a duck. What should I do with the liver?
Can I just sort of gently cook it in some butter (and a little duck fat?) and pureé them together and use it as a spread?
Salt + white pepper maybe? Garlic or any nice herb that would go good in it? Rosemary?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I'm trying to make the swiss meringue buttercream recipe here - which I've done before from her larger, jesus-christ-ten-sticks-of-butter recipe with no issues - and I think I've hosed it up irreparably somehow. It's separated out into liquid (I think former meringue) and butter. Is there anything I could do to fix it, short of just using this for the butter portion of the cupcakes I'm going to make and starting over with the frosting?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've made plenty if frosting recipes where it's supposed to break but you keep whipping and it comes back together and whips up nicely. So maybe keep mixing.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, I kept mixing and all that happened was that it separated further and I pretty much had solid butter in a sea of liquid former meringue. The weird thing is I've made this recipe before and it did break and come back together that time, I don't know what was different. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
At a banquet being served buffet style, where it's sharing main course duties with tamales (and it's ostensibly going into tortillas), how much meat should be planned per person? 1/4 pound?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At a banquet being served buffet style, where it's sharing main course duties with tamales (and it's ostensibly going into tortillas), how much meat should be planned per person? 1/4 pound?

That sounds about right actually. You'll be adding lots of other stuff in the tortillas I assume and people will realistically only have 2-3 max with most having only 1-2 of them along with the tamales.

I'm making breakfast tacos up right now for a brunch bbq so just kinda was doing the same math.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Guys, I want to make chili tonight. I have ground beef and a chicken breast, all the appropriate spices and chili peppers, but the quantity of "fantastic" chili recipes online is bewildering and ridiculous.

What is a good go-to chili recipe that will be pretty good, not award winning or to-kill-for, just pretty good so that I can stop sperging out about this?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

What sort of spice mix is in curry powder? I'm looking to buy less pre-ground and mixed spices, and curry powder is one that I use a lot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How tall is a tree?

There are many, many ways to make "curry powder". Your best bet is to buy the basic Indian spices and start tinkering from there.

EDIT
I love Dino's use of spices, check out his Indian food thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516815&pagenumber=1

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 21, 2013

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I made browned butter sugar cookies , which I have made before and were scrumptious, but the ones I made this afternoon and they have a weird scrambled egg flavor. What would cause this? I was pretty cautious about adding the eggs to the butter and sugar and definitely did not see any cooked egg bits, but maybe I could have still scrambled the eggs without having little bits of egg whites peppered throughout the dough?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Guys, I want to make chili tonight. I have ground beef and a chicken breast, all the appropriate spices and chili peppers, but the quantity of "fantastic" chili recipes online is bewildering and ridiculous.

What is a good go-to chili recipe that will be pretty good, not award winning or to-kill-for, just pretty good so that I can stop sperging out about this?

Decided on this one, it's pretty good.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I saw a post from a goon about a no-knead cast iron pizza recipe. You didn't even need to spread it out in the pan! Does anyone know where I could find it again?

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Phiberoptik posted:

I saw a post from a goon about a no-knead cast iron pizza recipe. You didn't even need to spread it out in the pan! Does anyone know where I could find it again?

It was probably this one, from Serious Eats. I've tried that recipe a couple of times and was pretty happy with it! (Though the dough didn't spread out very far by itself for me, not sure what I was doing wrong with that).

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I bought sweetbreads at my local farmers market this weekend but I have no idea how to prepare them. Some of the recipes I've seen call for me to brine overnight then press again overnight while others skip that all together. Any good suggestions for someone that's never cooked it before?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Help! It our last day in Barcelona and I really want to eat somewhere cool with good food that the locals love but not too expensive (eg not Michelin star) also would prefer something Spanish/catalonian too, any ideas?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Enter Char posted:

What sort of spice mix is in curry powder? I'm looking to buy less pre-ground and mixed spices, and curry powder is one that I use a lot.

Many different types of curries. Heaps just in India alone, then there's Pakistani, Bangladeshi, South East Asian, West Indian and all sorts. Best to look at the pre ground stuff you buy right now and look at the ingredients of a pre made mix you like.
I've been researching curry powders a lot recently. I found a few interesting ones, like one that uses Ajwain, Kalonji and Soomph. (I know Soomph is fennel seeds but why did they list that when Fennel was already listed as an ingredient?)

Some common formulations for Madras style curry powder:
Formulations:
Coriander Seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Trifala & Nagkeser (Fragrant Spices), Cloves, Cassia, Garlic, Curry Leaves and Salt.

Coriander, Turmeric, Chillies, Mustard, Ginger, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek.

Coriander, Turmeric, Mustard, Bengal Gram, Cumin, Chillies, Fenugreek, Pepper, Garlic, Salt, Fennel, Poppy Seeds, Curry Leaves.

Coriander, Turmeric, Cumin, Salt, Fennel, Chilli, Cassia buds, Fenugreek, Garlic, Anise pepper, Cassia, Curry Leaves, Clove.

Cumin, Coriander, Fenugreek, Ginger, Turmeric, Dill Seed, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Mace, Cardamom, Cloves.

Turmeric, Coriander, Fenugreek, Cumin, Ginger, Cloves, Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon, White Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Celery Seed.

Coriander, Turmeric, Mustard, Cumin, Chillies, Fenugreek, Black Pepper, Garlic, Fennel, Poppy Seeds, Dried Curry Leaves.

Coriander, Fenugreek, Turmeric, Cumin, Black Pepper, Bay Leaves, Celery Seed, Nutmeg, Cloves, Onion, Red Pepper, and Ginger.

From another source:

Spices in Curry Powder:
Times Used, Out of Eight Brands
Coriander Seeds, 8
Cumin Seeds, 8
Fenugreek Seeds, 8
Turmeric, 8
Cloves, 5
Garlic , 5
Curry Leaves, 4
Fennel Seeds, 4
Ginger, 4
Chillies, 3
Mustard, 3
Red Pepper, 3
Salt, 3
Cassia, 2
Black Pepper, 2
Poppy Seeds, 2
Anise, 1
Bengal Gram, 1
Cardamom, 1
Cassia buds, 1
Celery Seed, 1
Cinnamon, 1
Dill Seed, 1
Mace, 1
Nagkeser, 1
Nutmeg, 1
Onion, 1
Trifala, 1
White Pepper, 1

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 22, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have all these Indian spices and stuff and I don't know what to make. Last week I did vindaloo one day and tikka masala another day (I may have cheated and use a packet for that). It can't be spicy at all. I am very unknowledgable at this and I've instituted one day a week as curryday.

I'll probably do aloo gobi as a side because I love that stuff.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you're in the mood for something Indian that is actually Indian, go ahead and list some of the spices you've got, and I can lead you in the right direction. "I have spices" tells me nothing, especially if some of them are packet mixes, because you have to handle packet mixes differently from how you'd handle whole spices (which is what I'm used to). Fire away.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

dino. posted:

If you're in the mood for something Indian that is actually Indian, go ahead and list some of the spices you've got, and I can lead you in the right direction. "I have spices" tells me nothing, especially if some of them are packet mixes, because you have to handle packet mixes differently from how you'd handle whole spices (which is what I'm used to). Fire away.

Good idea. Offhand I know I have

Whole
cumin
cardemon
black mustard
fenugreek
coriander
fennel
garlic heads

Ground
tumeric
ginger (I only have a very little bit of fresh left)

Really if anything is missing and needed I can go get it since the store is surprisingly close. I have no mixes, I just used one for tikka masala to see what the hell was up since I had never used one.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I feel like my question doesn't do justice to this forum awesomeness, but I need some advice on mangos.

I recently ate 2 different mangos, I really loved one and hated the other, and I have no clue if it was a difference of type or one was just bad. The one I loved had a lot of juice and a lot of fiber, to the point that I couldn't cut pieces of it since mostly juice would come out and the fiber strings wouldn't come off. The one I disliked did have mango scent but the flavor was a bit weird, and the pulp was sort of..rubbery, very compact, not fibrous.
Anyone know how I can identify the first type of mango when buying, and avoid the second one?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

It sounds like the tastier one was more ripe than the other.

riso2011
Aug 26, 2012

Living in his mom's basement since 2004
Was wondering if anyone had a good fried gator tail recipe. I'm trying to make crawfish and fried gator tail this weekend, and i can't find a good batter recipe for the gator tail. Any ideas?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

riso2011 posted:

Was wondering if anyone had a good fried gator tail recipe. I'm trying to make crawfish and fried gator tail this weekend, and i can't find a good batter recipe for the gator tail. Any ideas?

I usually just do a corn meal dredge like I was frying catfish. Get your oil good and hot, because you don't want to keep it in the fryer long. It's like calamari, in that it is notoriously easy to overcook. I do a dredge of cornmeal, salt, pepper, cayenne, and oregano in mine. Don't really have a set ratio, sorry.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Okay, hi cookingquestion people; I have a weesmall, quick to answer inquiry.

I wanted to make some delicious Beer-Bread ((http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Beer_Bread)) like the one on the GWS site, but I'm not certain I have self-rising flour.

I have: Wheat Flour, All Purpose, Cake Flour, and Bread Flour. Can I use any of these or a mix or these instead?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

"Freakbox" posted:

I have: Wheat Flour, All Purpose, Cake Flour, and Bread Flour. Can I use any of these or a mix or these instead?

Self rising flour is flour plus baking powder so you can use bread flour plus powder If you want wheat you can go half and half bread/wheat flour

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Thank you :neckbeard: delicious comfort food, here I come! I'm newish to bread- i'm a cake/cookie/bar/dessert person.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Saint Darwin posted:

Good idea. Offhand I know I have

Whole
cumin
cardemon
black mustard
fenugreek
coriander
fennel
garlic heads

Ground
tumeric
ginger (I only have a very little bit of fresh left)

Really if anything is missing and needed I can go get it since the store is surprisingly close. I have no mixes, I just used one for tikka masala to see what the hell was up since I had never used one.

Black mustard, cumin, and turmeric are your basis for pretty drat near any South Indian recipe. Literally, that's the extent of it. Just throw some oil in a pan, and let it get hot. Don't use olive oil because it won't get hot enough. You want a canola or peanut or vegetable oil. Once the oil's hot, throw in some mustard seeds, slam on the lid, and wait for the popping to get from slow to really fast to slower again. Throw in some cumin seeds, and then add garlic or onion. Sautee until tender, add turmeric. Then add literally anything else you want, and you're good.

Fenugreek is also used quite commonly. Instead of stopping at just cumin and mustard seed, add in about two pinches of whole fenugreek seed to the hot fat after you add the mustard seed, then add the cumin seed, and proceed as normal.

The coriander is used, but whole, and crushed lightly. If you don't have a mortar and pestle to crush it in, throw it in a paper bag or ziplock bag, and smash it with a wine bottle or other likely implement. Then, proceed as normal, only adding the crushed coriander seed along with the cumin seed.

I've basically outlined pretty much most of South Indian food.

Get started there, and get back to me, and I can outline a rough sketch on how to use the rest of your spices. :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks dino, I actually didn't know about the proper way to do those spices; all the recipes I've been reading say to either leave them whole or completely grind them.

Last night I did more northern Indian with with the aloo gobi which probably would have been a little bit better if I had cut up the potatoes into smaller pieces, and I also tried my hand at chicken makhani, which honestly did not come out that great. I have no basis to compare it to but it was a little bland. The recipe called for "ginger garlic paste" and I probably just made that really poorly.

Now I can try to make my own stuff with your info though, so thank you!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I have this bag of parmesan rinds sitting in my fridge. I know they're good for minestrone, but what else should I be doing with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a homemade tomato sauce using canned whole peeled tomatoes, onion, garlic, some basil, and throw a couple rinds in at the beginning. It will add a lovely savory element to the sauce. Remove and discard at the end if they haven't melted into nothing.