Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
First just wanted to say I love this app and I truly appreciate all the work you have put into it. I had one nitpicky request - any way to update the app icon? It's noticeably low res and not as sharp as all the other apps I have. It's a minor request but the program really does everything else I could possibly want. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Screenshot? There's no reason it should be low res.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That name highlighting happens to me too, I assumed it was a feature :shrug:

Same.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

My loading lag issues are completely gone, so it must have been because the forums were overloaded the other day! :)

Also, I know a lot of people are down on the PMs, but (as previously mentioned) I think it's a really neat tab, and I've been using it frequently! (...please don't say you're going to get rid of them... :ohdear:)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Does anyone else's font settings icon look terrible on an iPad mini? I don't have it on me to make a screen shot. All the rest of the app looks fine except for that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Niemat posted:

Also, I know a lot of people are down on the PMs, but (as previously mentioned) I think it's a really neat tab, and I've been using it frequently! (...please don't say you're going to get rid of them... :ohdear:)

I certainly don't plan to get rid of them. The complaints I've seen so far aren't about PMs, they're because the consequent tab arrangement makes it harder to keep two threads open at once.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

1997 posted:

Does anyone else's font settings icon look terrible on an iPad mini? I don't have it on me to make a screen shot. All the rest of the app looks fine except for that.

It's really pixelated on my iPad 2. Not sure if supposed to be.

Great job with the app, otherwise!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a crash when I try to enter certain forums from the main list. GBS, DnD, PYF, and ask/tell all work fine, but Games and Pet Island stall on entry, then terminates the app. I'm on a iPhone 4 if that helps or makes a difference.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those are both non retina devices, right? And the font icon is a pretty detailed serif font. Maybe just needs to be redone as a non retina resource.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on my iPad classic the app makes me type the first dozen or so lines of each post blind. which is cool in the 'pos where paying attention isn't cool but in the rest of the forums where people are expected to post in a civilised manner... welp?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
by the way the app is cool I feel bad for just bringing up a problem when I haven't posted to say thanks for all the solid lunch times of posting. cool thanks wicked bro may you get great karma and or likes

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
On the whole name highlighting the thing, I think you should keep it in at least as an option. It's useful for finding your old posts when you're flicking back through a thread.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

pokeyman posted:

I'm having trouble replicating this bug. Is there any chance you use a custom CSS file?

Nope. I don't even know how to do that. I've since deleted and reinstalled and it's still doing it. I

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Inline GIFs make anything I'm reading on my iPad slow to a virtual halt, even if there's just one on the screen. Is that a known issue?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Possible bug in the most recent beta. Running on an iPad 4. Going to the forum list, when scrolling to the bottom of the list to get to the leper colony, the buttons for favourites and settings are considered part of the usable screen space and end up covering up the last item on the list. I can provide a screen grab if you like.

Unrelated, I loving love this ap. Great work.

EDIT: well gently caress me, after writing this post, the problem went away. :shrug:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If you are in the in-app browser and go to a copied link, you lose the breadcrumb. So you have to force quit the app to be able to see the thread list in bookmarks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bummey posted:

Nope. I don't even know how to do that. I've since deleted and reinstalled and it's still doing it. I

I found it. Thanks for the report!

Aatrek posted:

Inline GIFs make anything I'm reading on my iPad slow to a virtual halt, even if there's just one on the screen. Is that a known issue?

It's a known issue in the general sense of "lovely performance reading posts". My guess is if it's happening with a single GIF on screen, you're probably low on memory and that's what's really causing the slowdown. And it's Awful's fault for using up all your memory.

My plan for the next version is to fix those memory problems as best I can. No new features.

bagina posted:

Possible bug in the most recent beta. Running on an iPad 4. Going to the forum list, when scrolling to the bottom of the list to get to the leper colony, the buttons for favourites and settings are considered part of the usable screen space and end up covering up the last item on the list.

I'm seeing some other nearby weirdness too. I'll take a look!

Kazy posted:

If you are in the in-app browser and go to a copied link, you lose the breadcrumb. So you have to force quit the app to be able to see the thread list in bookmarks.

Good find, thanks!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm getting some strange behavior when I tap the fav star of a forum thst's already favorited. Somehow I got it to add the forum twice?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the yeti posted:

I'm getting some strange behavior when I tap the fav star of a forum thst's already favorited. Somehow I got it to add the forum twice?

Fixed in the next version!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
PMs need to be sorted by date received because I don't think the sorting really works right now. Also, the latest update is amazing, as is the fact I can use PMs at all. The text size thingy is great, and I could be fooling myself, but image uploads seem more reliable now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

PMs need to be sorted by date received because I don't think the sorting really works right now.

They should be sorted by receive date. If you refresh the PM list does the order change?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe I'm imagining things but I thought if you reached the end of a forums page and hit the "load next page swirly" and immediately scrolled up, it would get cancelled. Doesn't seem to work since I've updated (if it was a feature).

Thanks for all the (hard?) work though on the app. Definitely my most used app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kloa posted:

Maybe I'm imagining things but I thought if you reached the end of a forums page and hit the "load next page swirly" and immediately scrolled up, it would get cancelled. Doesn't seem to work since I've updated (if it was a feature).

That's a bug if it worked that way. I'm surprised it ever worked in fact!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Would it be possible to add a toggle to the font size pop-up for turning .gifs on and off? I don't so much have the one-gif-crashes-my-phone problem but when threads go into huge .gif derails then everything gets pretty slow when I could care less about seeing most of them, anyway.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Can you just toggle "show images" until the gifwar is over?

I've wanted animated GIF-specific settings for ages (and I'm sure people have requested it in the past), but I haven't come across a way using HTML/CSS/JavaScript to tell if a GIF is animated or not. (For what it's worth it's animated GIFs that cause issues; immobile GIFs aren't a problem.)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Hadn't thought of that, thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

pokeyman posted:

Can you just toggle "show images" until the gifwar is over?

I've wanted animated GIF-specific settings for ages (and I'm sure people have requested it in the past), but I haven't come across a way using HTML/CSS/JavaScript to tell if a GIF is animated or not. (For what it's worth it's animated GIFs that cause issues; immobile GIFs aren't a problem.)

I know its not ideal, nor do I know much on programming, but would it be possible to ignore gif files over a certain filesize? It wouldn't be quite as accurate as filtering based on animated properties, but its a thought.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I can't reply to threads on my iPhone. No idea why.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

I know its not ideal, nor do I know much on programming, but would it be possible to ignore gif files over a certain filesize? It wouldn't be quite as accurate as filtering based on animated properties, but its a thought.

Hadn't thought of that. It's probably possible. I'm not sure how strongly file size correlates to animated-ness though.

Jack Krauser posted:

I can't reply to threads on my iPhone. No idea why.

What happens when you try? Get an error? Or is the button greyed out? Can you reply in Safari?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

pokeyman posted:

Hadn't thought of that. It's probably possible. I'm not sure how strongly file size correlates to animated-ness though.

What happens when you try? Get an error? Or is the button greyed out? Can you reply in Safari?

I'm not really sure either. Just kind of theorizing that if there was a way to make the app ignore all .gif images > 1mb in file size, it might remove the biggest offenders that slow the app down. I have no idea if it would work, or even help at all, but I figured I'd throw it at you and see if it helped.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

pokeyman posted:

No error. Shows the "Success!" icon and everything. I'm then taken back to the thread with no post made. Posting via Safari works.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I love this new version so much! It looks and works amazingly for me. I just can't seem to find the settings for YOSPOS. I miss reading the catte thread on an old Mac. Am I crazy and just can't find the tab for that setting?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jack Krauser posted:

No error. Shows the "Success!" icon and everything. I'm then taken back to the thread with no post made. Posting via Safari works.

...I got nothing for you then. Sorry! Is it just that thread that's giving you problems? Which thread?

ButWhatIf posted:

I love this new version so much! It looks and works amazingly for me. I just can't seem to find the settings for YOSPOS. I miss reading the catte thread on an old Mac. Am I crazy and just can't find the tab for that setting?

Tap the big-A little-A button in the bottom right.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

echinopsis posted:

on my iPad classic the app makes me type the first dozen or so lines of each post blind. which is cool in the 'pos where paying attention isn't cool but in the rest of the forums where people are expected to post in a civilised manner... welp?

I think we're the only guys getting this. Happens to me on my iPad 2 ios 5.0.1. Doesn't happen on my iPhone 4s ios 6.something so I think it's either an iPad thing or, more likely an ios 5 thing. What ios are you using?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BrainDance posted:

I think we're the only guys getting this. Happens to me on my iPad 2 ios 5.0.1. Doesn't happen on my iPhone 4s ios 6.something so I think it's either an iPad thing or, more likely an ios 5 thing. What ios are you using?

If "iPad classic" is the iPad 1 then it'll be iOS 5. That had occurred to me too, that maybe it's an iOS 5 thing. I played around in the simulator and couldn't get anywhere.

It happens as soon as the reply form appears? Without rotating the device, dismissing the keyboard, or anything like that?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

For me, when I first hit reply the reply box is grey. I just tried this, mashed return a bunch of times and some random keys and nothing (appeared to) typed at all. Like this

When I dismiss the keyboard it turns white and I can type (of course, with the top few lines cut off) All the keys I mashed showed up then.

So I guess I can't reproduce it without dropping the keyboard down, but that's just because I can't see anything at all.

And yeah, otherwise it's instant. Haven't changed orientation or done anything else with it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pokeyman posted:

They should be sorted by receive date. If you refresh the PM list does the order change?

I think so? But on the other hand, if I open a PM then go back to the PM list, the order changes some and I can't figure it out. :psyduck:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

duckfarts posted:

I think so? But on the other hand, if I open a PM then go back to the PM list, the order changes some and I can't figure it out. :psyduck:

Sounds like I messed up the date parsing somehow, just for you. Random shot in the dark: what locale is iOS set to? Like US English, UK English, French (Canadian), whatever?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Sounds like I messed up the date parsing somehow, just for you. Random shot in the dark: what locale is iOS set to? Like US English, UK English, French (Canadian), whatever?

Now that I look at it, it seems my PMs are also out of order and reorder themselves in some way after I view one. I hardly use them though, so I guess I never noticed (even in two months of testing :().

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
My PMs are fine. :colbert:

• Locked thread