Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
2011, subunit of a major, major pharma company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

C-Euro posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, that's the exact job posting that I was talking about. I don't have PMs but may I e-mail you or chat you up on Skype? Are you on LinkedIn or anything like that? The description on that posting was really vague so I'd like to hear some details on what you actually do in such a role. Plus I'm in the middle of a job hunt and that posting caught my eye as it's not too far from my GF who I was hoping to move back in with.

ossetepo1@gmail.com, feel free. I know literally everyone that you will talk to at Byron. Have they called you about taking the Tech-1 test yet?

I have a linkedin I haven't updated in 5+ years, so that won't do much good.

Since there seems to be some interest, I will write a little post about nuclear power chemistry jobs sometime tonight or maybe tomorrow. It is a very... different place to work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ossetepo posted:

Since there seems to be some interest, I will write a little post about nuclear power chemistry jobs sometime tonight or maybe tomorrow. It is a very... different place to work.

That sounds awesome, can't wait! :D

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, basically The Simpsons is an accurate reflection of what it's like to work in a Nuclear Power Plant.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Any of you at Pittcon today? I'm stopping in this morning to just see the conference. I'm sure the last day will be way less active than the other days but oh well. My coworkers were here all week but my management is sometimes goofy and I didn't get in on Monday then had to train people Tue and Wed.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

So "tonight or maybe tomorrow" turned into "after Pittcon". Better late than never. (as an aside, I haven't been to a Pittcon since 2007; this one felt much diminished from 2007. Highlight of the conference: getting Thermo to agree to let us have the discount they are contractually required to let us have.)

So, nuclear power plant chemistry jobs. The first question I get from people with chemistry background is usually "why does a nuclear power plant have a chemistry department?". There are two large parts to that answer: nuclear safety and asset preservation.

For nuclear safety, we are required by federal regulations to maintain the ability to conduct certain analyses of certain samples in a narrow timeframe. Because many of these samples are radioactive, shipping them to contract labs is both time consuming and amazingly expensive, so we do most everything in house. These regulatory-required analyses range from simple titration for boric acid (used to control the reactor by absorbing neutrons) to ppb-level anion analysis by IC (used to make sure the stainless steel the reactor is made of doesn't crack). Also included in this category are a range of radiochemical analyses, using HPGe gamma spec, LSC, and proportional counters, used to track radioactive contaminants for the health and safety of plant workers and the public.

The other category, asset preservation, is the less important of the two, but represents the majority of the work we do. A nuclear power plant is an incredibly valuable asset; construction of Vogtle 3 and 4, the only new nuclear construction in the US at the moment, will likely cost $20 billion. By closely controlling the chemistry of the water circulating within our plants, we can minimize corrosion and maximize heat transfer efficiency, thus extending the life and profitability of the asset. Analyses in this category include a lot of IC work, ICP-(OES and MS), TOC, and a bunch of boring titrations, pH, and conductivity. Again, many of the samples are radioactive in some way, and thus cost-prohibitive to send off.

The next question is often "What are nuclear power chemistry jobs like? (and how much do they pay and how do I get hired?)"? Chemistry is one of the smaller departments in any given plant, but there are still a few levels of job. I will try here to give a nutshell of each common level, from the bottom to the top; I will give more information for the technician job as that is where the interest in this thread has focused.

1) Chemistry Technician. 8 - 20 per plant. 0+ years of nuclear experience. The guys who do the actual work. Where I started. Usually union, but that depends on the plant. To get hired as a tech today, you will need at least one of the following three things: A) A BS/BA in chemistry, physics, biology, or engineering OR B) 5+ years chemistry lab experience OR C) service in the US Navy as a nuclear ELT.

Techs normally start in a training grade, which makes $25-$35 an hour depending on where you are. Training lasts for 12-18 months, and includes both classroom and on-the-job training. Once you complete your training, most plants will put you immediately into a shift chemistry technician position, earning $35-$45 an hour.

Most plants require 24-7 chem tech coverage, so technicians will either have permanent backshift assignments, or rotate to fill shifts. Techs are non-exempt, and work 8, 10, or 12 hour shifts depending on the site. Technicians are responsible for sampling plant systems and analyzing those samples. The workload consists approximately half of each of sampling and analysis, averaged over time. A typical technician day begins with a brief on plant status and daily priorities, where jobs are assigned to the techs present. Techs then disperse to accomplish those jobs, which usually consist of sampling plant system, running analytical instrumentation, or some combination of the two.

2) Chemist. 4 - 10 per plant. 0+ years of nuclear experience. The nerds. My last job. $65k-$120k, largely depending on experience. Chemists have a variety of responsibilities that vary widely by plant. If you want more info about chemist jobs let me know and I'll type more. Something like 90% of these jobs are filled internally industry wide, so it is fairly unlikely you will be going right into this spot.

3) Supervisors. 2 - 5 per plant. 5+ years of nuclear experience. The fall guys. My current job. $100k-$140k. Supervisors in the nuclear industry exist primarily to make decisions, provide oversight and maintain standards of behaviors, and secondarily for administrative stuff. As such, this job is the one that gets hung whenever something goes wrong. Typically a short-term stepping stone on the way to a position outside of chemistry.

4) Manager. 1 per plant. 20+ years of nuclear experience. The boss. $200k+. Managers in nuclear chemistry rarely have strong chemistry backgrounds; rather they are selected for managerial skills. Not a job anyone here is applying for, so I won't go into much detail on this.

The next question is "Do you glow in the dark, no, seriously, do you get a lot of radiation?" The answer is no. My whole career has been at PWRs, and I have received no recordable radiation dose in my entire career. If I worked at a BWR I might have a little more.

I think that's a big enough wall of text now. I may write more at a later time, depending on interest. Feel free to ask questions.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Fantastic writeup and it sounds like pretty cool work.

First question: Can I have a job?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I didn't get to go to Pittcon :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

I didn't get to go to Pittcon :(

:( Sorry.

My company blocked a day-trip to a conference with a registration fee of $80, claiming it exceeded their prof. development budget. How small is the training budget that a $22-billion dollar company can't afford $80 plus gas?

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Man, I wish I had found this thread months ago when looking for a new job. I've worked for the past 5 years doing environmental testing, mainly GC and GC/MS work. I'm actually getting out of the environmental testing field and hopefully moving on soon to a large chemical plant in the SF bay area. I'm mainly moving due to a dislike of the climate and the seasonal swings in work. Nothing like beings super busy in the summer when it's nice and having your hours cut in winter when it's terrible out. I expect the manufacturing work to be just as dull and routine as environmental analysis was, so I don't think I've made a terrible decision.

If anyone is curious about environmental testing I've got a pretty wide range of knowledge. I also have some good stories about setting up on-site labs in the middle of nowhere in Alaska if anyone would be interested in hearing them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Welcome to the thread, I'm always interested in hearing crazy stories! :D

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Everyone in my site has to take an office-safety training course now because some dumbfuck sat down in a chair that wasn't actually behind him. He fell on the floor, bruised his tailbone or something stupid like that, and went and reported the injury to EHS.

Instead of the appropriate response (everyone pointing and laughing, maybe teasing him for a week or two), the guiding principle of SAFETY = SERIOUS BUSINESS dictates that the other thousand of us must now suffer as we practice sitting in chairs correctly. What a waste of a half day.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Man, I thought my safety meetings involving safety bingo and Jeopardy were silly, but I have to say Sundae you make my safety program look sane. I feel kind of bad reading this thread and getting so much amusement from your stories.

While I can't quite match some of the ones previously posted here, I do have a fun acid spill story. We had some new hires spill some concentrated sulfuric acid a few years back. No one was hurt luckily, but rather than let anyone know they thought they'd clean it up themselves. They dumped a bunch of baking soda on it and tried to dilute it with a squirt bottle of water, but they kept checking the pH and it wouldn't get above 2. After using most of the bottle (probably about 500mL) they tested the pH of that. Turns out it was an unlabled squirt bottle of nitric acid. So rather than containing a small sulfuric acid spill they made a large nitric acid spill. Our safety officer at the time was not too happy about that obviously.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

This is my best spill story - I'm sitting in the break room having some lunch, when I see most of the EHS higher ups running around out front, followed by the on-site haz-mat truck showing up. People are gowning up, so I'm thinking something must be going down, but they haven't evacuated the building, so it can't be that bad. Going to investigate, I find that they've cordoned off the stair case, and I can hear them doing something on the floor below. I kinda shrug it off and go back to work. A few hours later, I'm treated to a strongly worded email telling us if we drop a donut in the stair well, please clean up any powdered sugar that might be on the floor so no one mistakes it for a chemical spill.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

gninjagnome posted:

This is my best spill story - I'm sitting in the break room having some lunch, when I see most of the EHS higher ups running around out front, followed by the on-site haz-mat truck showing up. People are gowning up, so I'm thinking something must be going down, but they haven't evacuated the building, so it can't be that bad. Going to investigate, I find that they've cordoned off the stair case, and I can hear them doing something on the floor below. I kinda shrug it off and go back to work. A few hours later, I'm treated to a strongly worded email telling us if we drop a donut in the stair well, please clean up any powdered sugar that might be on the floor so no one mistakes it for a chemical spill.

You work at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
My best acid story is from college. In organic chemistry lab, my friend somehow sprayed sulfuric acid on himself while dispensing it from one of those screw-on bottletop dispensers. I don't know how it happened and he couldn't really explain it either. It got on his face and his shirt so the TA brought him to the emergency room. He ended up having some minor burns on his face but was otherwise fine. The funny part is that the hospital took all of his clothes and he ended up walking about 6 blocks back to our dorm in a hospital gown. And this was in Chicago, so it's a fact that a lot of people saw him.

My best general spill story is regarding a mercury thermometer. A different friend's dad is a neuroscience professor and came to our school in Chicago on sabbatical. He got set up in a lab, got all of his equipment in, and then dropped a mercury thermometer. He called the appropriate people and they evacuated the entire building and closed it off for a day or two for cleaning. The cleanup people accompanied him home, took his clothes (a recurring theme in my stories, I guess) and watched him shower. The next day he was asked to leave by the PI of the lab he had just started working in. Seems like the response was a little excessive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One semester in grad school I taught for one of our computational chemistry faculty, who told me why he got in to theory- one time in undergrad, he pipeting concentrated hydrochloric acid by mouth (this probably would have be 40 years ago or so) for a lab, and he pipeted a little too hard and swallowed a small amount :gonk:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm always flabbergasted whenever I'm reminded that mouth pipeting was ever a thing that routinely happened.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm always flabbergasted whenever I'm reminded that mouth pipeting was ever a thing that routinely happened.

Some people in academia still do it. I interned in a neuro lab at CSHL back in 2004 where two post-docs did it.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Sundae posted:

Some people in academia still do it. I interned in a neuro lab at CSHL back in 2004 where two post-docs did it.

I've heard similar stories, and always wondered why someone would do that. Does it give superior control of the dosage, or does it simply give them a rush to constantly run the risk of dying in a rather memorable fashion?

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

The Erland posted:

I've heard similar stories, and always wondered why someone would do that. Does it give superior control of the dosage, or does it simply give them a rush to constantly run the risk of dying in a rather memorable fashion?

You can buy pipette bulbs and pippetors in enough styles that I can't think of any situation where mouth pipetting would give you better accuracy or precision. This pipette talk does remind me of the most ridiculous ad for scientific equipment ever, unless you think boy bands are an integral part of the laboratory process.

http://www.eppendorf.com/int/hawkpopup.php?contentid=13

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I had some grad school classmates who mouth-pipette'd to harvest mouse egg cells. They needed both hands free to dissect the ovaries.

My worst chemical spill was dropping a ~200 mL bottle of ammonium hydroxide. We had to evacuate the lab because it was so overpowering. By the time the EHS guys showed up 10 minutes later, it was completely evaporated and scrubbed by the fume hoods.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Does anyone have any experience being a lab safety officer? Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Should I be certified in anything or the such?

I have just been thrown into this position and we have our safety meeting(led by me) next month. I'm looking for any pointers I can get on this.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

I had some grad school classmates who mouth-pipette'd to harvest mouse egg cells. They needed both hands free to dissect the ovaries.

My worst chemical spill was dropping a ~200 mL bottle of ammonium hydroxide. We had to evacuate the lab because it was so overpowering. By the time the EHS guys showed up 10 minutes later, it was completely evaporated and scrubbed by the fume hoods.

I don't do lab work anymore, but when I was a grad student, I somehow ended up the defacto lab manager for a small Center. We were a combination wet lab/microscopy/lasers and such. I ended up taking over safety and day to day lab operations my 2nd year of grad school because the post doc that had been doing it left. It was, in retrospect, a dick move by my PI, but that's another story.

In three years we had all sorts of amusing and dangerous incidents (to the point where if we were anything but an academic lab, OSHA would have shut us down). The post doc I took over from was the least safe human being I have ever known. I'm not entirely sure he didn't have a death wish. We did a lot of CVD growth, and carbon is a bitch to get off of the quartz tubes you use in the ovens. Safetyman used to clean them with Hydrofluoric Acid. Nothing wrong with that, unless you're using the highest concentration you could possibly order and 'cleaning' the tube by stuffing paper towels in one end and sloshing the (undiluted) acid back and forth while wandering the halls. Amazingly, we never had an incident with that.

When I finally cataloged all of the various waste bottles that had been squirreled away (amusing given my next story), I called EHS to get it cleaned up and out of the lab. There was a bottle of mystery acid with no label in the back of a storage cabinet. For some reason, one of the EHS guys decides to open said bottle. He opened it in a hood, but left the shield up. Our hoods had notoriously horrible air flow as well. The acid fumed and he ended up with a face full of fumes, causing little to no damage, thankfully. The head of EHS also happened to be there (my PI had numerous run-ins with her, and she was vindictive), and called the fire department. She informs me of this, I tell the PI, he takes off for points unknown as I sit in the parking lot discussing things with EHS. Then the crazy lab manager from the Chemistry department shows up and starts spouting ridiculous things about shooting acid containers with high powered rifles. The fire department just poured a metric ton of base (probably baking soda) all over the place and called it a day.

The most memorable incident was in one of the wet labs. We had two Thai scientists visiting us, and one of them was an organic chemist. She came into my office, upset to the point that she was talking in Thai and English. We finally calmed her down and went to the lab. A small squirrel had gotten into the ceiling, fallen through a tile, and ended up on the fume hood. It took refuge under the fume hood light (the assembly was open on top, I guess for ventilation). Well our chemist had turned on the light and smelled burning fur, so she looked up and saw the crazed squirrel and lost it. I called Animal Control thinking, 'Hey, I have an animal here, and it needs to be controlled.' Nope, they only do domestic animals, but they'd rent me a Have-A-Heart trap for a few bucks. I used a deep cardboard box and some Cashews to trap the poor thing and put it back outside. We had a repeat in the laser lab with a much larger squirrel, and finally found a break in the flashing around the building where they were getting in.

Cbear posted:

Does anyone have any experience being a lab safety officer? Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Should I be certified in anything or the such?

I have just been thrown into this position and we have our safety meeting(led by me) next month. I'm looking for any pointers I can get on this.

Don't follow my examples above. Actually, your lab should have some kind of Safety SOP which is a good place to start. Without knowing the specifics (academic, large company, small company, type of lab) its hard to give specific advice. If you have a separate Environmental Health and Safety office, contact them, let them know you're the new safety officer, and see if they can furnish a copy of the company/school SOP (standard operating procedures). You should also have Materials Data Sheets for every chemical used in the lab, preferably wherever chemicals are handled as well as in your office. The local Fire Department/Emergency Response Team is another good point of contact since they inevitably will be doing inspections (usually unannounced), so knowing what they'll be looking for is also handy. (Otherwise you end up having to distract the Fire Marshal and his crew while one of your lab mates moves a bunch of poo poo onto a loading dock because it was blocking one of the escape routes.)

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 8, 2013

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for the reply. We're a small pathology company of about 30 people. I'm just a lowly lab technician and our safety officer just quit so I'm being thrown into it. I'm going to start with the SOP's but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better place first.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Cbear posted:

Thanks for the reply. We're a small pathology company of about 30 people. I'm just a lowly lab technician and our safety officer just quit so I'm being thrown into it. I'm going to start with the SOP's but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better place first.

The local Environmental Health Office would be a good place to contact, as well. If you're in a reasonably large city they probably have their own division, if not, check the county you're in. If they're large enough, they may even have some training materials for you. If not, contact a local Research University and talk to their EHS department and see what they have for training materials and if they would let you have/purchase some. Regulations tend to be region specific, but another thing to look into is what certifications/training you are required to have by the state/county/city. It may not be an issue, but finding out now is better than finding out when they fine you. You could also check with local hospitals/other labs doing similar work about the specifics of pathology safety. Most people will probably be happy to help you, given your situation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Also, you should have regular checks for safety issues through out the lab (make a checklist for this) and I believe that OSHA requires monthly safety meetings.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Cbear posted:

Start thinking on ways to get people involved with the safety program without patronizing them. Nothing gets people to ignore your attempts to get them in PPE like cutesy signs and silly games. One thing my last lab did that I thought was a good idea was having a monthly volunteer for a safety committee, which helped bring new ideas in and get people more personally involved in the program.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005
Does anyone here know if I were to leave grad school with a M.S. in Materials Science instead of a Ph.D. would I run into serious career ceilings working in private labs?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It depends on what you're trying to do and what your career goals are, as well as what company you're talking about. The materials characterization labs at my last two pharma companies definitely had career ceilings for M.S lab workers, typically at about the entry level or "entry plus a promotion" of PhD candidates.

Both of these were highly structured big pharma companies, though, so YMMV especially at smaller labs. Now, if you're okay with not being the lab director or anything, that's still perfectly good money. Also, you can more easily avoid the ceilings if you're okay with jumping ship to other companies. I just finished interviewing (like, minutes ago) for a PhD+9 position. I have a M.S+5.

(I'm rejecting the offer if it isn't incredible. I have a very bad feeling about the work-life balance, and that's the big reason I want out of my current job in the first place.)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sundae posted:

It depends on what you're trying to do and what your career goals are, as well as what company you're talking about. The materials characterization labs at my last two pharma companies definitely had career ceilings for M.S lab workers, typically at about the entry level or "entry plus a promotion" of PhD candidates.

Both of these were highly structured big pharma companies, though, so YMMV especially at smaller labs. Now, if you're okay with not being the lab director or anything, that's still perfectly good money. Also, you can more easily avoid the ceilings if you're okay with jumping ship to other companies. I just finished interviewing (like, minutes ago) for a PhD+9 position. I have a M.S+5.

(I'm rejecting the offer if it isn't incredible. I have a very bad feeling about the work-life balance, and that's the big reason I want out of my current job in the first place.)
Seconding this.

PhD requirements are only hard req's at some big pharma companies. At virtually all small to mid-sized companies it won't matter. Relevant experience and ability will trump academic degree by the time you get into management territory. By the time you hit the point where a ceiling would be in most places, you'll either have the track record for promotion or you won't on your own merits.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Do process safety reviews feel like being the new sorority pledge getting all her fat parts circled in sharpie, or is it just me?

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

Sundae posted:

Sundae posted:

Seconding this.

PhD requirements are only hard req's at some big pharma companies. At virtually all small to mid-sized companies it won't matter. Relevant experience and ability will trump academic degree by the time you get into management territory. By the time you hit the point where a ceiling would be in most places, you'll either have the track record for promotion or you won't on your own merits.

Thank you for the information, that helps. Part of my problem is I'm not sure exactly what my career goals are. I was pretty focused on being a professional researcher but after spending a year in a Ph.D. program I'm less convinced I need to do research to be happy. Another problem is I'm not familiar with what all of my options actually are in terms of career directions. I've only recently begun to seriously consider jobs outside of academia and national labs and I'm pretty confused at the moment to be honest.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Also consider that the career ceiling is a higher if you move out of the scientific areas. There are definitely people in the business operations groups within our R&D that are associate directors/directors without a PhD. Becoming an E.D or higher might be harder, but you have better chances, and most people aren't getting there either way. A lot of people, especially right out of school get really focused on staying on a scientific ladder, but the move from scientific to business pretty common once people hit or approach their ceiling. In some respects, it's better to plan from it from the start, so you don't spend a couple of years being frustrated with no career progression before moving.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

Also consider that the career ceiling is a higher if you move out of the scientific areas. There are definitely people in the business operations groups within our R&D that are associate directors/directors without a PhD. Becoming an E.D or higher might be harder, but you have better chances, and most people aren't getting there either way. A lot of people, especially right out of school get really focused on staying on a scientific ladder, but the move from scientific to business pretty common once people hit or approach their ceiling. In some respects, it's better to plan from it from the start, so you don't spend a couple of years being frustrated with no career progression before moving.

That's definitely something to consider. If I had to guess right now I'd say moving out of scientific areas is something I'll eventually want to do. If I was aiming for management-track positions, what should I do differently as an entry-level research

One thing I keep thinking about is how often I've heard people say that you should ONLY get a Ph.D. if you can only be happy doing research, otherwise take another route. Since I'm pretty sure I don't necessarily need to do research (forever, or even for very long) to be happy, it seems I shouldn't bother based on that oft-repeated bit of advice. But at the same time it seems like there would be benefits outside the lab with a Ph.D., but I really don't know.

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
john ashpool fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 13, 2016

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
If anyone here works in a biotech in the Boston area:

I am a postdoc in Boston looking to do an internship (unpaid is fine) this summer/fall to get some industry experience. If you know if your company does such a thing, or even better you know someone I should talk to, I would love to talk via PMs or email about it.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

What field do you work in?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'm an immunologist. The lab I'm in now has two fairly broad research groups: autoimmune diseases and T cell responses to pathogens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

If you read my earlier post about chemistry jobs in nuclear power, you may recall that I mentioned that positions at the chemist level are relatively rarely filled externally. I will now proceed to contradict my own statement by directing you to a chemist position posted externally: http://careers.exeloncorp.com/job/Braceville-Chemist-Sr-Chemist-Braidwood-Station-Braceville%2C-IL-Job-IL-60407/2573025/

The posting is a little vague about the actual job responsibilities, so I will fill it in slightly: This position is the department analytical chemistry specialist, responsible for directing and overseeing the water chemistry side of our instrumentation program. The analytical chemist directs technicians in using and maintaining our instrumentation, runs the chemistry quality control program, develops and validates new methods as required by our chemistry programs, and serves as the department chemical hygiene officer, along with other more boring administrative stuff. The optimal candidate will have at least a bachelor's in chemistry and several years of relevant, post-BS experience, or an MS with less experience (fully half of the chemists in this position in the company are ABD dropouts from graduate programs right now, so if you're that, you're also a good candidate). If you have substantial experience with ion chromatography, your resume will go to the very top of the stack, as IC represents the lion's share of the work of this position. ICP experience, and ANY experience with anything radioactive or nuclear, will also go a long way.

The last position I linked in this thread turned out to just be a resume harvester, but I know for a fact this one isn't. Why? Because I'm the hiring manager. That's also why I cannot refer you; HR won't let me refer someone for a position I'm doing the hiring for.

So if you want to come work for a goon in a nuclear power plant in the middle of nowhere, Illinois, send in an application.

Feel free to PM me with questions, or email ossetepo1@gmail.com.

Ossetepo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 4, 2013