Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used that on my iPad, it's good for tasks but a little bit full on.

It's cool, I'm not really asking for people's advice, I'm just here to complain that my personal needs aren't being met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

echinopsis posted:

Hmm I'm not really interested in google calendar but are you talking about the built in calendar app? I can't see what you're talking about

You spent the time to write a dissertation on some calendar stuff, you could try some google searches. I am sure this isn't going to meet your requirements, but for the sake of edification, check this out: http://www.imore.com/how-change-alert-time-individual-calendar-events-your-iphone-and-ipad

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
echinopsis, what you need (most likely) is an app called "tempo".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tempo-smart-calendar/id593819390?mt=8

It's from the fine folks who created Siri.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

voltron posted:

You spent the time to write a dissertation on some calendar stuff, you could try some google searches. I am sure this isn't going to meet your requirements, but for the sake of edification, check this out: http://www.imore.com/how-change-alert-time-individual-calendar-events-your-iphone-and-ipad

Who needs google when you've got IYG?

I'll read it though. Thanks :)

Feenix posted:

echinopsis, what you need (most likely) is an app called "tempo".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tempo-smart-calendar/id593819390?mt=8

It's from the fine folks who created Siri.

That looks great, thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

voltron posted:

I read this, and it does exactly what I do do, but it's still a mess. It still requires "paying phone bill" to be an event of non zero time

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Have you tried making bills and stuff like that an all-day event with the default calendar app?That works for me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is there an app like AirVideo but for music? I can't even use home sharing in my house on videos/music on my ipad, AirVideo works movies fine but music is a pain.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Red posted:

The best part is, PaperKarma emails you updates of whether or not they were successful (yet) in stopping the junk mail.
This may just be notoriously lazy Chicago USPS personnel, but I notice that I get fewer "Our Neighbor At..." pieces of mail, too. I think if there's nothing actually addressed to me to put in my mailbox, the circulars and other shotgun mail don't go in there, either.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

FishBulb posted:

Is there an app like AirVideo but for music? I can't even use home sharing in my house on videos/music on my ipad, AirVideo works movies fine but music is a pain.

ServeToMe does all media and works like a charm, though you may need to play with your computer's security settings.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

FishBulb posted:

Windows has Shairport4w. Works great, easy to set up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

supersteve posted:

Have you tried making bills and stuff like that an all-day event with the default calendar app?That works for me.

this doesn't annoy your aesthetic sensibilities? I'm not looking for solutions to my problems I'm here to complain that the problem exists in the first place

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just rolled back the Facebook app from 6.0.1 to 6.0 because I think all they changed in .1 was to prevent you from hiding the ads they may have accidentally enabled in 6.0. Is there a way to have the App Store app ignore an update? I'm likely going to do this with the Awful app, since the latest version just crashes for me, and I don't want to see an update from that again until the next new version, which would likely fix that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Nope. No way to ignore updates. Try not to click on Update All.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Zigmidge posted:

Windows has Shairport4w. Works great, easy to set up.

This is the opposite of what I want, unless I'm misreading how it works.

Aggro posted:

ServeToMe does all media and works like a charm, though you may need to play with your computer's security settings.

This might work.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Can someone tell me what the weather app used in this ad image is? It looks swank as all hell and I'm a bit of a weather nerd, thanks.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

Can someone tell me what the weather app used in this ad image is? It looks swank as all hell and I'm a bit of a weather nerd, thanks.

GIS led me to here: http://www.bigsool.com/en/#/works/weatherstation Yeah, it does look pretty good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
-Edit: Never mind, wrong thread-

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Speaking of weather, Yahoo released a standalone weather app a few days ago. And it looks incredible. But the icon is pretty horrendous and tacky.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Speaking of weather, Yahoo released a standalone weather app a few days ago. And it looks incredible. But the icon is pretty horrendous and tacky.
Wow, yeah, this is easily the best weather app I've seen so far. :stare: I don't mind the icon too much, especially if that's the biggest flaw I can see.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Now I have 4 weather apps on my phone. Thanks guys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, this thread goes through weather apps like toilet paper.

I was just getting used to using Forecast.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Am I the only one that doesn't use weather apps? I have the notification center widget and that does enough of a job for me.

Then again, I live in Ohio so the weather is always poo poo.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't use weather apps? I have the notification center widget and that does enough of a job for me.

I'm in Ohio too, I use them to see which flavor of poo poo this state decided to throw at me this hour.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the default weather app, except for the lack of radar. I just feel like I'm not getting the full treatment unless I can see a blob of color closing in on my position.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there any way to change the default weather app without jailbreaking? I just downloaded Yahoo Weather a couple nights ago and I love it, and it'd be cool if it was in my notification center instead of the stock one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wait, isn't the default IOS weather just Yahoo anyway? Why wouldn't Apple let Yahoo replace it with the new, cool one?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It uses Yahoo's service, but it's still built and maintained by Apple.

And Rageaholic Monkey, nope, there's no way to change the default apps on iOS devices, same thing for weather, mail, web browser, etc.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I grabbed the Yahoo weather app yesterday. I hope they release an iPad version later on. It's really well done and actually has useful info.

iOS Apps Megathread: This week's weather app is ____

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I use The Weather Channel's app. It used to be poo poo but they updated it recently and it's very nice now.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That's the one I have on my iPad now. It is pretty good. I just really like the style of the Yahoo app.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there only one weather app that can do push notifications?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there only one weather app that can do push notifications?

Are you referring to Weather On? I use that one and it is very nice.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just use Weather Underground's mobile site. It offers a lot of info in a nice, clean design, and you can view an animated full screen radar map. I've never had a need for a native iOS weather app.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The new Yahoo weather app is really, really nice but I'm still using Solar because I like how you can slide up to see an hour by hour progression of what the weather is going to be like

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The yahoo app does that but it involves an extra step. Have to slide up for more info then slide the hours to left to see how the weather will progress.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Are you referring to Weather On? I use that one and it is very nice.

Dark Sky I think.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hypersleep posted:

I just use Weather Underground's mobile site. It offers a lot of info in a nice, clean design, and you can view an animated full screen radar map. I've never had a need for a native iOS weather app.

You know weather underground has a nice iOS app? http://appshopper.com/weather/weather-underground

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

You know weather underground has a nice iOS app? http://appshopper.com/weather/weather-underground

Yup, I just don't have a need for it. The web site gets the job done just fine.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Dark Sky I think.
If I'm not mistaken that one along with forecast.io had their methodology pretty soundly debunked by a meteorologist over in the weatherpocalypse thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

iostream.h posted:

If I'm not mistaken that one along with forecast.io had their methodology pretty soundly debunked by a meteorologist over in the weatherpocalypse thread.

Nah, I believe the guy was misinformed and thought that Dark Sky pulled their weather data from their rear end. When it was made apparent that the weather is pulled from NOAA stations and then Dark Sky's own predictive method is applied to that data, he nor anyone else had anything else to say.

For me the bottom line is, given Apple's Weather, Solar, Forecast.io, Yahoo Weather, and Wunderground, each of them is constantly disagreeing with each other in terms of temperature and precipitation for my location (Houston). So who cares. Use the one that looks the best.

• Locked thread