Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

• Black and white Link's Awakening

Why do you want this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Regy Rusty posted:

Why do you want this?

It was my first Zelda game :kiddo:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Toady posted:

So many people today take this position, yet for some reason it's heresy to suggest that Nintendo exclusively become a software developer, as if it's a major defeat if Nintendo acknowledges that there's no reason anymore for them to be building their own home consoles.

This would be such an amazing thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toady posted:

My naive assumption is that emulating early Super FX games should be possible on Wii U hardware since games like StarFox and Stunt Race FX were emulated on late 90s PCs. Perhaps there are other technical issues.

It's definitely possible. It might not be an option for Nintendo's standards that they require for emulation, though. They seem to have a more exacting requirements for behavior and performance than emulators do.

They might just consider it not worth the effort for the sales that they'd expect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yoshi's Island is about the best possible candidate for the 3D Classics series. Since those games are sort of "rebuilds" of the originals, there's no worry about emulation compatibility. And the backdrops would look amazing layered stereoscopically.

But it'd be a hell of a lot of work.

Toady posted:

So many people today take this position, yet for some reason it's heresy to suggest that Nintendo exclusively become a software developer, as if it's a major defeat if Nintendo acknowledges that there's no reason anymore for them to be building their own home consoles.

I don't think it's "heresy" so much as it's fairly naive thinking. Nintendo has a lot of money. Nintendo makes a lot of money. As little as Nintendo wants to gently caress up a home console, they can afford to do it. A few times, even!

Most of the folks you see peddling the idea that Nintendo might go the way of Sega anytime soon are of the mindset "I want to play Nintendo games on [platform of choice], and if I believe hard enough, it'll happen!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just realized at some point I'll be able to play Star Fox 64 on the gamepad. I can't wait until that's possible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

God drat could you imagine how much a Smash Bros. Brawl HD Remake on X360+PS3 would make? But nope, gotta make you buy their wonky rear end consoles.

Sony and Microsoft's controllers for me are vastly inferior. Sony has absolutely zero creativity in them and everything they do is always a reaction to someone else. Do I really want Sony having to react to Microsoft's lack of creativity?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sony and Microsoft's controllers for me are vastly inferior. Sony has absolutely zero creativity in them and everything they do is always a reaction to someone else. Do I really want Sony having to react to Microsoft's lack of creativity?

What, you want more Wonderbooks?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Virtual Console To Do List
  • Super Mario All-Stars

That's not going to happen because its just easier to sell people the individual NES games.

That and they did that re-release for Mario's 25th that just slapped the ROM on a disc and called it a day.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's not going to happen because its just easier to sell people the individual NES games.

That and they did that re-release for Mario's 25th that just slapped the ROM on a disc and called it a day.

They could always sell it for a premium.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I guess it is to me because I want the industry to crash and get smarter at game development and cost.

Last time this happened, Nintendo became the head honcho and bullied developers and we got expensive rear end games. A crash really isn't a good thing.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I guess it is to me because I want the industry to crash

This is a really weird thing to want.

blackguy32 posted:

Last time this happened, Nintendo became the head honcho and bullied developers and we got expensive rear end games. A crash really isn't a good thing.

Well considering how the Wii U is selling pre-crash we probably wouldn't have to worry about Nintendo being in any position of power post crash. But yeah a crash wouldn't magically fix gaming. A general market shift would probably be a far better thing to happen. Which with any luck we might be seeing now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

With the ease of use iOS and PCs have compared to their 1980s equivalent you'll have at least two competitors that Nintendo didn't really have back in the day. While talk of a crash is stupid there is going to have to be some sort of reset because the current business practices of the industry just do not work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gamers are so loving dumb and self hating. Yeah let's pray for the industry to crash. Great plan. gently caress all those devs and their families! Anarchy!

Realistically the industry is transitioning to the next generation while dealing with new platforms (mobile and the resurgence of pc gaming) and new ways to get people involved in their ecosystems. Nothing is crashing, it's evolving. Every company is going to struggle a bit and it's nothing new or shocking. The gaming industry is absolutely huge and down periods are always going to happen. I guarantee you that a year or two from now it will be booming just like a few years after the current consoles came out. Even Nintendo.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

Most of the folks you see peddling the idea that Nintendo might go the way of Sega anytime soon are of the mindset "I want to play Nintendo games on [platform of choice], and if I believe hard enough, it'll happen!"

Why, you could say it's almost as retarded as wishing the industry to crash just because your favorite videogame company is going through a rough patch on ONE of its consoles (while completely destroying any real competition it could be facing in the handheld market)!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The SMB/LL versions on All-Stars are substantially worse in physics than the NES/FDS versions. SMB2 and 3 fared much better but still had changes that aren't strictly better choices even if the new graphics do have parallax effects and larger palettes.

It's definitely a choice made for money reasons, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Toady posted:

My naive assumption is that emulating early Super FX games should be possible on Wii U hardware since games like StarFox and Stunt Race FX were emulated on late 90s PCs. Perhaps there are other technical issues.

Right, and for like a decade, they left out polygons, ran at twice the frame-rate yet skipped frames, had flickering issues, etc. While that's fine when you're looking to steal games, that's not fine when you're the original company re-releasing a game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
You know, it would be pretty nice if every time someone mentions a crash, people broaden their horizons to what "crash" means to just E.T. in a dump site.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Whereas Nintendo are at the absolute peak of creativity by ripping off the iPad.

Oh, and for the record, Sony's first twin analog controller predates anything related to the N64 controller by three months, so you can't even claim that it was a "reaction" to that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Whereas Nintendo are at the absolute peak of creativity by ripping off the iPad.

The iPad has buttons, a dpad, circle pads, and shoulder buttons?

If anything, the Wii U is just an expansion upon the concept of the DS, but for a home console. This tablet craze really derives itself from the huge success of the DS, anyway. Games like Fruit Ninja are straight up taken from Wario Ware: Touched!.

raito fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 22, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fulchrum how can you be so wrong, it's clearly a ripoff of Sega's VMU from the Dreamcast :rolleyes:

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Seems like Nintendo has finally started advertising this thing heavily. I seem to be getting 1 commercial every break while watching shows on Hulu. They're the same kind of "family on a couch playing the system" ads they did with the Wii. Hopefully this gets more people to know that this thing actually exists and what it is.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've seen one, of the kids does this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chronojam posted:

Fulchrum how can you be so wrong, it's clearly a ripoff of Sega's VMU from the Dreamcast :rolleyes:

I don't know what you mean, the designer of the Pocketstation is probably calling their lawyers though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pixeltendo posted:

I have done this repeatedly when beating the poo poo out of friends in nintendoland.
Now upgrade my rear end to doing this in the future in co op Xenoblade 2.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Pixeltendo posted:

The Goomba is from Super Mario 3D Land. So many kids are gonna guy a Wii U and NSMBU cuz of the Tanooki Goomba and they're just gonna get a broken heart instead. Way to go Nintendo!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fulchrum posted:

Oh, and for the record, Sony's first twin analog controller predates anything related to the N64 controller by three months, so you can't even claim that it was a "reaction" to that.

How did the DS not cross your mind before posting this?

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fulchrum posted:

Take the console warrior crap elsewhere.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

"Actual Wii U owners. Family compensated for participation." is seriously the cherry on the sundae that is this gif

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm surprised they were able to find a family that owned a WiiU.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I'm surprised they were able to find a family that owned a WiiU.

What do you think the compensation was? :smug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Palmtree Panic posted:

The Goomba is from Super Mario 3D Land. So many kids are gonna guy a Wii U and NSMBU cuz of the Tanooki Goomba and they're just gonna get a broken heart instead. Way to go Nintendo!
They'll pay $10 for the Super Tanooki U DLC expansion and like it :colbert:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

raito posted:

The iPad has buttons, a dpad, circle pads, and shoulder buttons?

If anything, the Wii U is just an expansion upon the concept of the DS, but for a home console. This tablet craze really derives itself from the huge success of the DS, anyway. Games like Fruit Ninja are straight up taken from Wario Ware: Touched!.

I hope you mean tablet games and not the tablet market as a whole, because if so, :catbert:

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
It's good that their advertising but at the same token I can understand wanting to save the bank to advertising later on in the year. This is just theory but I thinking they rather have the money ready for later on in the year so that they don't get drowned out by the massive ad campaigns Sony and Microsoft will be doing and trying to stay afloat (not financially mind you) to the hype that Sony and Microsoft will naturally get from just being a new console.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, at least Nintendo has finally figured out they need to emphasize words like "upgrade".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjziVtvUXY

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"Family compensated for participation"

Yeah, it's called, HEY SON WANNA GOTO NINTENDO OF AMERICA AND DANCE WITH LUIGI YES DAD I WANT TO YAY

I don't have a family but put me in a commercial. I'll dance with Luigi as compensation :smith:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Atomicated posted:

Nintendo recently discussed their policy for indie devs: http://www.cubed3.com/news/18568/1/full-indie-summit-nintendo-renewed-indie-approach.html

This should really be the way everyone handles it.

I feel like we've heard this same story 4 or 5 times now, even going back as far as pre-launch when the Trine devs were praising how developer friendly it was. You would figure with the nightmare stories you hear about dealing with Microsoft's XBLA policies that devs of these $5-20 dollar games would be wanting to take advantage of Nintendo's online store. XBLA was my favorite thing about the 360 and I would love to see Nintendo be the home for the majority of these kinds of games since they can offer tablet play and whatnot.

I know unfortunately install base plays a factor, but not counting the eshop games at launch i think we are averaging around 1 eshop game per month :smith:.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

I feel like we've heard this same story 4 or 5 times now, even going back as far as pre-launch when the Trine devs were praising how developer friendly it was. You would figure with the nightmare stories you hear about dealing with Microsoft's XBLA policies that devs of these $5-20 dollar games would be wanting to take advantage of Nintendo's online store. XBLA was my favorite thing about the 360 and I would love to see Nintendo be the home for the majority of these kinds of games since they can offer tablet play and whatnot.

I know unfortunately install base plays a factor, but not counting the eshop games at launch i think we are averaging around 1 eshop game per month :smith:.

Nintendo's policies on the original Wii were... really loving bad. There were developers who swore off ever working with Nintendo again due to policies like not being able to collect any of your revenue until you met a certain threshold. Behind the scenes, I think Nintendo is still facing some fallout from indies for that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

katkillad2 posted:

Seriously, install base shouldn't matter. Publishers should be in this for the long term gain. It's a long term INVESTMENT to publish games for the Wii-U because once the title flow moves faster and the system is more adopted, the people who bought your games early on will be excited for the sequels and what your company comes out with next.

Instead, it's going to be the same song and dance we've known for years now. Third party publishers don't support the console as much as they should. Nintendo has to fill the gap internally and releases a ton of first party software that people buy in droves. Third party publishers then whine, bitch and moan that people will only buy Nintendo games on the Nintendo console and they get left in the dust. Seriously, look at the Gamecube release cycle after Christmas. There was a solid six to eight months of nothing but third party sports titles. The only game that was selling was Smash Bros. Melee because it was the ONLY GOOD GAME TO BUY until... MARIO SUNSHINE came out. But hey, it's Nintendo's fault.

:rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

katkillad2 posted:

The thing to remember is that they didn't bother to tell other devs about any of these changes beyond the chosen few that were ready for launch, so any dev who's just now hearing about these changes won't have anything ready for the eShop until months or even years from now.

There has been a whole bunch of Wii U eShop games announced, as well as general non-specific support from particular devs, but I never bother to mention them anywhere because 90% are fairly dull kickstarter games from devs with no pedigree who offered a Wii U version as a stretch goal because Wii U does Unity now.

(None of this is gonna help anyone in Japan, of course, because most doujin devs don't give a crap about Unity or publishing on consoles or whatever else.)

• Locked thread