Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, I currently have enough money in my eShop account for one game that is $29.99. I am thinking about either Code of Princess or Lego City Undercover.

What are your suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Canned Panda posted:

So, I currently have enough money in my eShop account for one game that is $29.99. I am thinking about either Code of Princess or Lego City Undercover.

I know that Lego City on the Wii U is extremely well received in the Wii U thread, and The Chase Begins has the same developer.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

parasyte posted:

They have physical rewards sent out later in the year. Gold is a calendar or something, Plat is something nifty usually. The other year it was a button set, last year wasn't as cool.

Last year was the Posters or the Collectible cards, I believe. I chose the Posters and they're pretty cool. Especially the Luigi's Mansion one with some Glow-in-the-Dark on the Ghosts. Nothing has topped the little vinyl statue that came out three years ago though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

parasyte posted:

They have physical rewards sent out later in the year. Gold is a calendar or something, Plat is something nifty usually. The other year it was a button set, last year wasn't as cool.

There are also download codes for games now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lego City has bad loading times (par for the course for a Lego game) and lots of N64 fog but it's pretty much the only game of its type on 3DS, so if you really want a diet GTA game I guess you could do worse.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Lego City has bad loading times (par for the course for a Lego game) and lots of N64 fog but it's pretty much the only game of its type on 3DS, so if you really want a diet GTA game I guess you could do worse.

From my little reading of the Wii U thread, it sounds like the Wii U Lego City game has a TON of stuff to do to keep you busy forever. If the 3DS game is the same it sounds like a good investment... even in digital form.

I'd need to test a demo or something though, as most of the Lego games have never really interested me that much. But a GTA-styled one may be good enough. It's not that I haven't laughed at them or found them funny/cute/:3:, but I just didn't enjoy PLAYING them that much. But an open world with a ton to do sounds a lot better - PLUS it was really well received by goons.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012

Chronojam posted:

You should set up a family account, which lets you link together multiple accounts; unless they changed something, each member of a Family can register one of each item. If you only have one account, that means you're limited to one total; if you have two linked accounts, you're eligible for two total. Just make sure you log in as the correct person before registering the item.

Thank you, that will definitely be useful when Animal Crossing comes out!

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Canned Panda posted:

Resident Evil: Revelations is 19.99, and you could easily pair that up with Cave Story or Kirby to round it up. I haven't played Lego City Undercover, mind you, but Princess Story didn't grab me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Resident Evil: Revelations is 19.99, and you could easily pair that up with Cave Story or Kirby to round it up. I haven't played Lego City Undercover, mind you, but Princess Story didn't grab me.

Actually, let me butt in here: Which type of RE is Revelations? Normal RE Action Survival game or Rail-shooter kinda game? I'm kinda interested because I went to see one of my friends on my days off and he broke out the PS2 Games along with Silent Hill 2 and now I'm kind of in a Zombie/Horror kicker so I was wondering those questions above and the main one: Is it any good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wark Say posted:

Actually, let me butt in here: Which type of RE is Revelations? Normal RE Action Survival game or Rail-shooter kinda game? I'm kinda interested because I went to see one of my friends on my days off and he broke out the PS2 Games along with Silent Hill 2 and now I'm kind of in a Zombie/Horror kicker so I was wondering those questions above and the main one: Is it any good?

RE survival horror, it's set on a ship and everything I've heard says it's pretty good. Just remember it's being re-released in HD on the current crop of consoles so think about whether you're gonna miss that second analogue stick.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^The lack of a second stick is a complete non-event for Revelations; the HD port is bringing lots of new stuff, but the controls really aren't a big deal.

Anyway, NA dudes, Paper Mario for $20:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Paper+Mario%3A+Sticker+Star+-+Nintendo+3DS/5763554.p?id=1218691610999&skuId=5763554

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was looking at getting a 3DS (XL) fairly soon, and I happened to walk into Target today and they're on sale for $170+tax. I take it that the best course of action is to get Worst/Best Buy to price match and use my $10 dollar cert to get a 3DS XL for $160+tax?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

What do you have already? $30 is an assload of money on the eShop really. You can pick up all the Guild01 games and still have a decent chunk of change left over to get a couple of VC things or Sakura Samurai or something. Or you can get all of the DSiWare games that are actually worth playing, everyone needs a copy of Digidrive.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

What do you have already? $30 is an assload of money on the eShop really. You can pick up all the Guild01 games and still have a decent chunk of change left over to get a couple of VC things or Sakura Samurai or something. Or you can get all of the DSiWare games that are actually worth playing, everyone needs a copy of Digidrive.

I have a poo poo ton of eShop/DSiWare games already. I have extra money set aside for more eShop games. I already have Crimson Shroud, and I want to get Liberation Maiden while it's on sale. I just have the money for a $30 title set aside for a new "full" game. Anyway, I let a few of my friends talk me into Code of Princess.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I...hated Crimson Shroud. And I like D&D and tedious poo poo.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Phone posted:

I was looking at getting a 3DS (XL) fairly soon, and I happened to walk into Target today and they're on sale for $170+tax. I take it that the best course of action is to get Worst/Best Buy to price match and use my $10 dollar cert to get a 3DS XL for $160+tax?

Couldn't you price match at Walmart too? I think Walmart's price is still $200, so price matching there with Target's price could score you a $20 cert.

But I'm not too sure, I don't know much about price matching as I've never done it before.

EDIT: Ignore this, I'm dumb.

Timid fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 22, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I got it from BB at the same price the last time it was on sale, and I think it's definitely worth it if you approach it as an adventure game with RPG-style battles without RPG stats.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Timid posted:

Couldn't you price match at Walmart too? I think Walmart's price is still $200, so price matching there with Target's price could score you a $20 cert.

But I'm not too sure, I don't know much about price matching as I've never done it before.

I don't see anything on Wal-Mart's site about a $20 gift card.

Price matching is just bringing the ad into the store, and they honor that price.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Phone posted:

I don't see anything on Wal-Mart's site about a $20 gift card.

Price matching is just bringing the ad into the store, and they honor that price.

Ah
I thought it was when the store gives you a gift card or something to pay for for the difference in prices. I was way off.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
So i got SMT: Devil Summoner; Soul Hackers off the eshop and I love it, but one thing concerns me. It's 18,000 blocks. I pretty much can't anything else now. Mario 3D Land was only about 2000 blocks, so is this huge for a full game? Because I far prefer getting digital downloads, but not if I can only fit 1 or 2 on my base card.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

You could always get a bigger SD Card? I have a 16 GB one running in mine, and it's about 115GB space left after a few eshop original titles and Virtual Console stuff.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Soul Hackers is huge, because it's got full voice acting. It's well over twice the size of Fire Emblem and EO4. So yeah, it's far from the norm. That said, the default SD cards are pretty tiny, so it might be worth just buying a 32 or 64 GB one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Deathface posted:

So i got SMT: Devil Summoner; Soul Hackers off the eshop and I love it, but one thing concerns me. It's 18,000 blocks. I pretty much can't anything else now. Mario 3D Land was only about 2000 blocks, so is this huge for a full game? Because I far prefer getting digital downloads, but not if I can only fit 1 or 2 on my base card.

If you plan on buying games digitally, the 2-4gb card isn't going to cut it unless you want to constantly delete and redownload games. SD cards are cheap, it's worth upgrading just to avoid the hassle.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cake Attack posted:

Soul Hackers is huge, because it's got full voice acting. It's well over twice the size of Fire Emblem and EO4. So yeah, it's far from the norm. That said, the default SD cards are pretty tiny, so it might be worth just buying a 32 or 64 GB one.

3DS only supports up to 32gigs. Just buy this and you'll be covered.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M51J3I

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

pandaK posted:

3DS only supports up to 32gigs. Just buy this and you'll be covered.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M51J3I

I actually had a lot of problems with the SanDisk 32GB SD card. I tried two different cards of that model in two different 3DSes (one normal and one XL). In each case, the card would unmount itself as often as every few minutes, causing a crash if I was running a game off the card at the time. Meanwhile, both the 2GB card that came with the 3DS and the 4GB card that came with the XL worked just fine.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I purchased this 32gb card, it's actually a couple of dollars cheaper than the one previously posted, and I have had zero problems with it in the past 2 months: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P3MCXW/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

3DS supports FAT32. You can format even a 128GB SDXC card as FAT32 (the filesystem's actually good to 2TB); you just can't do it with Windows' built-in formatter because Microsoft is schmucks about FAT in general.

It'll only support cards up to 32GB if the card's going straight from shrinkwrap to the 3DS, true (since all SDXC cards come preformatted with exFAT because see above), but it's worth the effort to be accurate.

On the other hand, the 3DS isn't the Vita and it's a bit difficult figuring out what you'd need more than 32GB for.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I bought an 8 gig at launch and noticed that it started filling fast after a couple of retail downloads, though it was slow so I couldn't use 3D video camera when it came out. Stuck a cheapo 32 GB in there and I can do video and don't have to think twice about soul hackers. (Lesson learned, and I bought a 2TB hard disk before I got my Wii U that will be full somewhere around the heat death of the universe with Wii U content :haw:)

If only the Vita was so easy :v:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 22, 2013

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Thuryl posted:

I actually had a lot of problems with the SanDisk 32GB SD card. I tried two different cards of that model in two different 3DSes (one normal and one XL). In each case, the card would unmount itself as often as every few minutes, causing a crash if I was running a game off the card at the time. Meanwhile, both the 2GB card that came with the 3DS and the 4GB card that came with the XL worked just fine.

I also had the problems with my first 32gb SanDisk Ultra, but the replacement card I received has been flawless. The 3DS seems quite picky with that particular SD card.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This is why they only officially support certain cards, but you can for-sure go beyond 32 gigs.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Cave Story 3D has remixed music while CS+ has additional content like Wind Fortress and Curly Brace mode (maybe, i'm basing this off the PC version). And + is probably cheaper.

Yeah, + has Curly Story. They also added in stereoscopic 3D if that matters to you (I don't have depth perception so I can't comment on the quality). The only real reason to buy Cave Story 3D is if you must have the redone graphics/music, and the eShop version is both a lot cheaper and obviously easier to find.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This week's big release is LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins, which I hadn't even been listing on the weekly update due to the fact that there was almost no media on the game until very recently, which is usually a sure warning that the game's gonna suck.

Both regions are getting the worst NES Mega Man on the VC this week (it's still a good game, buy it). PAL-land is also getting a digital version of BIT.TRIP Saga and a demo for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. NA may or may not be getting Harvest Moon GBC; Natsume said "late April" but VC publishers are frequently wrong about these sorts of things, so who knows.

NA dudes - if you buy a 3DS XL and either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and register them with Club Nintendo between March 21 and April 30 you'll receive a download code for a free retail game! Freebies include Freakyforms Deluxe, Art Academy, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Star Fox 64 3D and Super Mario 3D Land. Details here.

quote:

3DS
    Fire Emblem Awakening - out now! (NA*) / April 19 (PAL*)
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed - out now! (everywhere*)
    Brain Age: Concentration Training / Devilish Brain Training - out now! (NA*) / "TBD" (PAL)
    Etrian Odyssey IV - out now! (NA*)) / "summer" (PAL)
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - out now! (everywhere*)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - out now! (everywhere*))
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - out now! (everywhere)
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - out now! (NA*) / May 17 (PAL)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - May 24 (everywhere)
    Animal Crossing - June 9 (NA) / June 14 (PAL)
    Project X Zone - June 25 (NA) / July 5 (PAL)
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - July 12 (PAL) / August 13 (NA)
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 - July 16 (NA) / "2013" (PAL)[/i
    Rune Factory 4 - "spring" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Mario Golf: World Tour - "Q2/Q3" (NA/PAL)
    Mario Party 3DS - "winter" (NA/PAL)
    Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies - "2013" (PAL) / "TBC" (NA)
    Bravely Default - "2013" (PAL) / "2014" (NA)

*demo available
3DS eSHOP SOFTWARE
    Picross-e2 - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Nano Assault EX - out now! (everywhere)
    ATV Wild Ride 3D - out now! (NA) / "Q1" (PAL)
    HarmoKnight - out now! (everywhere*)
    Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves - May 2 (NA) / TBC (PAL)
    Mario & DK: Minis on the Move - May 9 (everywhere)
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - "2013" (everywhere)
    Mighty Switch Force 2 - "2013" (everywhere)

*demo available
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario Land III (Game Boy Color) - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
    Legend of the River King (Game Boy Color) - out now! (everywhere)
    Harvest Moon (Game Boy Color) - out now! (PAL) / "late April" (NA)
    Mega Man 3 (NES) - out now! (everywhere)
    Mega Man 4 (NES) - April 25 (everywhere))
    Mega Man 5 (NES) - May 16 (NA) / "May" (PAL)
    Mega Man 6 (NES) - "June" (NA/PAL)
    Shantae (Game Boy Color) - [i]"soon" (NA) / TBC (PAL)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It might seem like Nintendo is incompetent with file systems, but compared to proprietary memory/hard drives of the competitors, I have become super envious of the huge convenience features like this give. FAT vs NTFS is just as confusing/annoying as 32bit vs 64bit anyways, regardless of where you're looking.

From what I've heard Chase Begins is shaping up pretty good - it's made by the same guys as the Wii U game, and that's gotten pretty glowing reviews over in that thread.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Just a head's up.

Target has the 3DSXL on sale for $180 and the regular 3DS for $160.

Best Buy only has the 3DSXL for $189.99.

Not as big of a sale as weeks prior. I'm hoping for a bigger sale leading up to AC:NL and E3.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I just bought an XL and Mario 3D Land on Saturday, I wish I knew about that XL/Luigi's Mansion deal beforehand.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Nintendo of Europe is doing another "Buy stuff, get a game free" promotions.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-3DS-So-Many-Games-Promotion/Overview/Overview-750393.html

But not all of PAL regions are included. Among other countries, once again Nintendo of Australia decides it's not going to be a carbon copy of NOE any drat time it would be of advantage to us.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
That`s awesome. I got Professor Layton for buying a 3DSXL that I was going to buy anyway, and now I`m going to get a another free game when buying games I was going to buy anyway. It will be difficult to chose the free one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crawfish posted:

So Nintendo of Europe is doing another "Buy stuff, get a game free" promotions.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-3DS-So-Many-Games-Promotion/Overview/Overview-750393.html

But not all of PAL regions are included. Among other countries, once again Nintendo of Australia decides it's not going to be a carbon copy of NOE any drat time it would be of advantage to us.

Man this is a pretty cool offer. I have the codes for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem but the only other game on the list I'm really interested in is DKC:R. (I already have MH:U on Wii U) Just trying to decide if it's worth getting any of those games for DKC.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
One thing worth thinking about is that if you already have 2 of the games, and want a third, some of the others may drop in price before the end of June. The Nintendo ones are likely locked in place until the end of time, but I could see Castlevania going on sale online before that for example.

If you buy that for 20 pound and then get the game you want for free, it`s like you`ve only paid 20 pound for the game you want and you can sell off Castlevania if you don`t want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously, is there some kind of petition we can sign to get Nintendo of Australia absorbed into Nintendo of Europe?

We missed out on the first free game promotion, pretty much looks like we're missing out on this. Europe got the nice looking hardcover Fire Emblem pre order art book, Australia got sloppy seconds of America's art book. Australia didn't get the glow in the dark Luigi cover art at all. Club Nintendo Australia has nothing of worth and less than any other decent sized branch of Nintendo. Australia gets hit with some of the highest game prices Nintendo attempts to dump on country.

It's a miracle they sell anything here when they employ so many "gently caress you buddy" tactics on their customer base.

• Locked thread