Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nalmontes posted:

I don't really mind the whole teenage protagonist thing. I've watched enough mecha anime to be used to it. Though they do say in the show that he reprograms it, I assumed that he reprogrammed everything. I guess that makes more sense now that I think about it. I'm giving it a chance though. It's not bad, just not great.

"Not bad, just not great" kind of describes large chunks of SEED. I ain't trying to argue it's a good show, just saying that if you're going in with the attitude of "I hate myself for watching this show," you should really not not bother because it isn't worth it. There's a lot of good shows out there you could be watching instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of, someone I knew from a few years back has recently given birth and named their child Athrun.

:suicide:

Sure! I'll name my child after a terrible, whiny, insufferable little poo poo of a character!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Athrun isn't a bad name though? Certainly easy to scream. :v:

Take a look at what some celebrities name their kids before you criticize that person.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 22, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

Speaking of, someone I knew from a few years back has recently given birth and named their child Athrun.

:suicide:

Sure! I'll name my child after a terrible, whiny, insufferable little poo poo of a character!

At least Athrun is a decent name and pilots pretty cool mobile suits.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

He disables most of it and ends up having to compensate for the parts he disabled with his own abilities
That's not at all what he did. The Le Creuset team did a basic rewrite to give them enough functionality to get off the colony, Kira rewrote the entire OS good enough for combat within 30 seconds (plus 10 seconds to fire a few shots and punch Miguel's GINN.

quote:

Take the calibrations and reset the zero moment point and CPG. Then connect the control module directly to the molecular ion pump. Reconstruct the neural linkage network. Renew meta-active field, reactivate feed forward controls, convey function. Adjust Coriolis deviation. Connect to motion routines.
All while the GUI is showing a load of new links being built between the different parts of the original OS, that's not the kind of technobabble or graphical indicators that would be used for someone disabling a system. Plus ORB wants him to write an OS for Naturals specifically because of him doing this and when he took 20 seconds out to alter it for desert combat.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh please, the best name to steal from SEED for your child is clearly Yzak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

That's not at all what he did. The Le Creuset team did a basic rewrite to give them enough functionality to get off the colony, Kira rewrote the entire OS good enough for combat within 30 seconds (plus 10 seconds to fire a few shots and punch Miguel's GINN.

All while the GUI is showing a load of new links being built between the different parts of the original OS, that's not the kind of technobabble or graphical indicators that would be used for someone disabling a system. Plus ORB wants him to write an OS for Naturals specifically because of him doing this and when he took 20 seconds out to alter it for desert combat.

Oh please, the best name to steal from SEED for your child is clearly Yzak.

If Kira rewrote the entire OS for combat then, uh, they wouldn't actually need the Coordinators to pilot it. That's kind of the point. Ramius was piloting it before Kira was and doing things like firing the vulcans and even dodging a few attacks. It just was slow and awkward because it was unfinished and not able to work correctly.

When he hops it, he spouts a lot of technobabble which amounts to "REROUTING THE SYSTEMS TO DIRECT CONTROL VIA DILTHIUM CRYSTALS" and... that's basically all he does. It's completely fictional bullshit computer hacking but so is 99% of fictional bullshit computer hacking. Hell, if you want to talk about bullshit, it's more bullshit that Kira is dodging attacks BEFORE he even does that just by hitting what amounts to the Dodge Button on the Gundam's dashboard (which I guess Ramius doesn't know about?)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 22, 2013

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

muike posted:

My favorite will always be Amuro flipping through the 600 page New Gundam User's Manual and What to Expect When Your Gundam Has Animation Errors.

Conversely, I liked how the Turn-A Gundam has all sorts of hilariously overpowered abilities but the only things we see in the show are its regenerative properties and the Moonlight Butterfly because no one read far enough into the manual.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

If Kira rewrote the entire OS for combat then, uh, they wouldn't actually need the Coordinators to pilot it.

He wrote an OS that was too complex for non-Coordinators to understand how to use. Yes I know it's completely stupid but it's still what he did. There's never any suggestion that Kira is making up for having a mostly disabled OS with his own skill, and there's plenty of evidence that he relies on having a super OS to pull off his most ridiculous stuff (Freedom full burst aimbot for example).

Just taking a single line from his technobabble as an example, "Adjust Coriolis deviation." That's pretty clearly him telling the computer that they're in a colony simulating gravity with its rotation (which causes slight curvature on the trajectories for falling or flying) and to account for it when targeting and stuff like that. The technobabble is utterly meaningless like all technobabble but if you break it down piece by piece it amounts to the exact opposite of "REROUTING THE SYSTEMS TO DIRECT CONTROL".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

At least Athrun is a decent name and pilots pretty cool mobile suits.

I guess at worst people can mistake it for a bastardization of "Athun" or something.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
The fact that Kira fucks up the OS in a way that makes it unusable for Naturals is one of the Archangel's justifications for letting a Coordinator pilot their Mobile Suit too, I think? I mean, the circumstances mean that any other pilot wouldn't be doing so hot anyways but I was never under the impression that he just disabled parts of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well that and literally the only other soldier left after the colony attack was Mu and he was better off in the Mobius Zero (in theory) than getting killed in a metal casket that he can barely pilot.

Then like 8 episodes in, the Mobius Zero kinda scratched the Buster's paint job?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit:

Honestly, I don't want to get in an argument over how much Kira Yamato sucks because everyone agrees he sucks and I hate the character too much to want to try to bother. Let's just drop it here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 22, 2013

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Kira could rewrite the whole OS because he was unknowingly already one of the people working on the original OS for the Gundams. His weird robot college was a cover for Morgenroete.

Now, if you really want to get worked up about dumb Kira bullshit, let's talk about Lowe Gear and blast doors.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 22, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You know what's great? When a character that everybody hates dies in a hilarious way. Like Katz faceplanting an asteroid with his Core Fighter.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

kirbysuperstar posted:

You know what's great? When a character that everybody hates dies in a hilarious way. Like Katz faceplanting an asteroid with his Core Fighter.

I was really disappointed that the shot of 0 Raiser crashed straight down, nose first into a mountain in the 00 S2 ending never actually happened because gently caress Saji Crossroad.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically ridiculous anyway because the argument you're trying to make is simultaneously "Kira is Perfect Jesus Can Do No Wrong" and "Kira is a completely inept pilot who can't do anything without an aimbot" and Jesus, that's trying too hard to come up with something to hate. It isn't enough that Kira is a perfect can-do-no-wrong stupid character he also has to be a completely terrible pilot who needs aimbots just to justify that he's the Worst Character Ever.
I... what? I have no idea where the gently caress that came from. I'm not making that argument at all, what the hell are you talking about? The aimbot thing was a joke about the Freedom's targeting system, which he definitely makes use of (I'm not suggesting he would be useless without it, just that he clearly takes advantage of the assistance that the computer offers to him). All I'm saying is that Kira rewrote the OS to be efficient and handle the boilerplate operation of the Strike so the pilot doesn't have to, rather than the exact opposite which is what you're suggesting and is never once suggested in the show.

quote:

The Strike was moving before he started using it.
The Strike was moving terribly because they had an OS that was basically able to handle commands like "Move to here." "Assume this position." "Aim guns at this location." "Fire guns." each separately. If Kira wanted to disable most of the OS and do stuff himself with his own skill then this would be exactly what he needed. Why the "kneel" command was where it was I have no idea. He rewrote the OS to link stuff like this together (hence the graphic showing modules getting linked up. He could do this cause his professor was having him work on the system unknowingly for class.

I didn't want to do this but I'm going to break all of the technobabble down into what it seems to mean.

quote:

Take the calibrations and reset the zero moment point and CPG.
Adjust the calibration of where the system thinks the centre of gravity is so it can balance properly. Computer will now handle keeping the MS from falling when I move places.

quote:

Then connect the control module directly to the molecular ion pump.
Meaningless but probably something like having the pilots commands cause the "molecular ion pump" to function immediately rather than having to route it through another subroutine and take more time and system resources.

quote:

Reconstruct the neural linkage network.
Meaningless. Assuming something like "reboot this part of the system so it will recognise the changes I just made."

quote:

Renew meta-active field, reactivate feed forward controls, convey function.
Meaningless babble. Guessing something about routing commands properly or giving force feedback or something idk.

quote:

Adjust Coriolis deviation.
What I already said.

quote:

Connect to motion routines.
Setting the systems that handle movement to take into account the changes that have been just made and use them to adjust the pilot's commands to keep the Strike stable based on the environment, specifically the coriolis in this case.

All of these suggest that he made the OS do stuff more efficiently, not make it not do stuff.

e: drat you ImpAtom now my :spergin: about programming is totally wasted. :argh:

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

e: drat you ImpAtom now my :spergin: about programming is totally wasted. :argh:

Sorry, I just realized that actually getting into an discussion over just how bad Gundam SEED is is just not a fun way to go. :smith: It's a battle everyone loses.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The real tragedy is not only is the Origin being published but so is Unicorn but we can't seem to muster up a decent conversation about either. :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raku posted:

The real tragedy is not only is the Origin being published but so is Unicorn but we can't seem to muster up a decent conversation about either. :(

Unicorn makes 80's hair look pretty good.

More seriously, I just realized that by F91 the Federation is in such severe decline that a bunch of civilians put up a better fight against the villains than the Federation forces proper and Unicorn is set between CCA And F91. Now, Laplace's Box is supposed to contain something capable of destroying the Federation, soooo, I'm guessing that there's some cause and effect in play here. I get the feeling that everyone else already figured this out a long time ago, but I thought this was interesting.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The concept behind the Laplace box and what it contains is pretty interesting, but the first episode of Unicorn didn't assure me there'd be characters who were interesting.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013
I think I'm going to stop watching Seed. As ImpAtom said there's much better stuff out there. I think I'm going to watch 08th MS team seeing as I haven't watched it yet and it's supposed to be really good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raku posted:

Well, Origin is a reprint so it's not exactly a lot interesting to talk about.

Unicorn gets a lot of conversation when it comes out but that's about once a loving year.

Nalmontes posted:

I think I'm going to stop watching Seed. As ImpAtom said there's much better stuff out there. I think I'm going to watch 08th MS team seeing as I haven't watched it yet and it's supposed to be really good.

The thing to understand about 08th MS Team is that its plot is kind of stupid but it has really nice action scenes and some likable characters. As long as you're okay with that then you're fine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think 08th is hyped up a whole lot more than it deserves, but I think you should try and go in with neutral expectations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one ever listens, but you should not watch the epilogue episode of 08th. It is awful, makes no sense, and doesn't add anything to the story. If anything it does its best to retroactively make the rest of the show worse.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one ever listens, but you should not watch the epilogue episode of 08th. It is awful, makes no sense, and doesn't add anything to the story. If anything it does its best to retroactively make the rest of the show worse.

This is real good advice wrt 08th MS Team and you should follow it. The penultimate episode actually serves as a pretty good series finale anyways.

vvvv or that vvvv

Adam Strange fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 22, 2013

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Just watch the one with the Gouf fight twice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If you think Kira finetuning the strike OS on the fly is bad (like in the desert) the strike freedom launch is even worse.

:j: here is your new ms.
:downs: cool
:j: you can launch now.
:smug: lemme just adjust all the settings to my liking...OK DONE!
:byodood: Kira Yamato STRIKEFREEDOM kidooooo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Edit: phone acted weird.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zedd posted:

If you think Kira finetuning the strike OS on the fly is bad (like in the desert) the strike freedom launch is even worse.

Well to be fair I like to imagine a lot of that is more or less "Okay lets fix the goddamned keybinds on this."

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
He was inverting the Y axis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, dude's a Coordinator. That was our token 'early scene to show how superhuman Coordinators are' bit. Kind of wish they'd emphasised that a bit more in the series, actually - made Coordinators a bit more alien, shown how different they are from baseline humanity. As is, the genetic augmentations at the heart of the series's conflict either don't feel like a big deal or don't feel like they're actually there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zedd posted:

The only scenes with Kira I enjoy are his first launch scenes, because his voice actor is a master of spewing technobabble. It's wonderful. :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

The only scenes with Kira I enjoy are his first launch scenes, because his voice actor is a master of spewing technobabble. It's wonderful. :allears:
The Clubbed seal crying is up there though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ActionZero posted:

He was inverting the Y axis.

More proof that Coordinators aren't human.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

muike posted:

The concept behind the Laplace box and what it contains is pretty interesting, but the first episode of Unicorn didn't assure me there'd be characters who were interesting.

The villains from episode one turn out to be pretty interesting, in my opinion. And Audrey is a lot tougher than she looks, she's sort of if Relena was done in a way that actually worked (well, her and Diana from Turn A).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

That's actually why I think they hired his stupid awful rear end. He's been doing that for a long time. If you ever played Tales of Eternia his role in that was literally to stand around spouting insane tecnobabble at amazing speeds.

KoB
May 1, 2009
He was Kazuma in Scryed and he is forever forgiven. :colbert:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if you're watching SEED in japanese you're watching it wrong, and that is objective fact. yes Kira's cry is funnier in japanese, but every time he cries in english you get to comfort yourself knowing that his VA was literally kicked in the nuts by the voice director. Plus everyone is stilted and funny sounding and it's just so much more fun to watch really.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

if you're watching SEED in japanese you're watching it wrong, and that is objective fact. yes Kira's cry is funnier in japanese, but every time he cries in english you get to comfort yourself knowing that his VA was literally kicked in the nuts by the voice director. Plus everyone is stilted and funny sounding and it's just so much more fun to watch really.

I liked Mu's, Waldfeld's, and the captain's English voices :shobon:. But then I also unironically like the Wing dub voices (well, apart from a couple), so take my opinions on voices as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zedd posted:

The Clubbed seal crying is up there though.

To be fair that's how people cry in the SEED universe. You'd think that's one thing that genetic manipulation would fix, but nope.

• Locked thread