Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

While this season is pretty good anyway (thanks to there being a ton of poo poo happening in Storms):

quote:

that scene with Dany at the end was one of the best scenes I've seen on television ever.

Haha, it wasn't even the best scene on tv this week, loving babies.

Also, I notice Sophia posting a lot in the babby thread. What's up with that, yo? You being a tourist or what, grrl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Now that Pods sexual prowess has been confirmed, we're gonna need a sex scene in The Winds of Winter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I could swear I read somewhere that Dorne is a paper tiger. I can't remember where or why but I was sure that Dorne has this aura of power because their population has been vastly overinflated and the Dorne Princes have reaffirmed this belief to maintain their power. Was this actually confirmed or just some bullshit fan theory?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

I just want to hear Emilia Clarke say ~~~~MY DAARIO~~~~ in that ridiculous faux-accent of hers.

That's her actual voice.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

I could swear I read somewhere that Dorne is a paper tiger. I can't remember where or why but I was sure that Dorne has this aura of power because their population has been vastly overinflated and the Dorne Princes have reaffirmed this belief to maintain their power. Was this actually confirmed or just some bullshit fan theory?

It is just that they are the only nation that wasn't conquered by the Targaryen, instead they were integrated under the Iron Crown through marriage. In the series, as it stands, they are also the only kingdom that hasn't suffered from war, and don't really care that much about winter, so they see themselves beyond most of the crisis.

On the other hand, they also have the smallest population of the continent, so they wouldn't fare very well in a protracted conflict

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mythicknight posted:

Now that Pods sexual prowess has been confirmed, we're gonna need a sex scene in The Winds of Winter.
He can take Daario's place.

pentyne posted:

I don't think that's been said, but look at their track record. They rather ineffectually backed Aerys in the Rebellion, Oberyn died taking out one of his two targets (Tyrion killed Tywin before the poison gave him more than constipation), Quentyn got roasted, Doran is a gouty old man, Arianne screwed up making Myrcella Queen, and Darkstar is of the night cut off a little girl's ear. I guess Areo Hotah hosed up Arys Oakheart pretty well, but he's not an actual character so he doesn't really count. And the Sand Snakes could be pretty cool if there was another book or most/all of them weren't going to be cut from the show.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 22, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a shame, you could just get all the Kardashian sisters in on it and they'd look right. They'd sound like someone murdering cats with hammers though.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 22, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

It is just that they are the only nation that wasn't conquered by the Targaryen, instead they were integrated under the Iron Crown through marriage. In the series, as it stands, they are also the only kingdom that hasn't suffered from war, and don't really care that much about winter, so they see themselves beyond most of the crisis.

On the other hand, they also have the smallest population of the continent, so they wouldn't fare very well in a protracted conflict

Yeah, but I thought during the first Targaryen invasion they did a census or something and estimated that Dorne had a massive population and that belief carried through the next couple hundred years.

Similar to how the '6'000 years of history' for most noble Westeros families is bullshit and anything past a few hundred years old is basically fiction. I know the Night's Watch is up to 600+ commanders but Sam finds missing records for almost 1/3 of them.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but I thought during the first Targaryen invasion they did a census or something and estimated that Dorne had a massive population and that belief carried through the next couple hundred years.

Similar to how the '6'000 years of history' for most noble Westeros families is bullshit and anything past a few hundred years old is basically fiction. I know the Night's Watch is up to 600+ commanders but Sam finds missing records for almost 1/3 of them.

I think they are up to 999 including Jon. It's GURM though, so every number is either too high or too low. If each Commander only served for even 5 years each we are talking about a long long amount of time. Though I suppose during the Long Winter there might have been a super high turnover of Lord Commanders with them freezing and turing into ice zombies. :D

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shoehead posted:

I think they are up to 999 including Jon. It's GURM though, so every number is either too high or too low.

When Mervyn Peake wanted to suggest an insanely long dynasty that had been around so long an entire insular and incredibly complex culture had formed around it, he settled on the number 77. Obviously Earls of Gormenghast tend to die of old age (or owls) not be killed by ice zombies, but 600+ is loving insane.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Jon's the 998th.

kenlyric
Nov 16, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I think they are up to 999 including Jon. It's GURM though, so every number is either too high or too low. If each Commander only served for even 5 years each we are talking about a long long amount of time. Though I suppose during the Long Winter there might have been a super high turnover of Lord Commanders with them freezing and turing into ice zombies. :D

It's an average of 8 years per lord commander. Considering the harshness of the job, this does not seem unreasonable.

There have theoretically been 266 Popes in the past 2000 years, which is roughly 1 every 7.5 years. In fact, the Popery, with its elected leader, spotty history, and dude focus is a pretty good analogy for the night's watch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mide posted:

The Podrick assumptions are over! He is king of spear. I can't believe they even brought it back up.

sether01 posted:

Yeah this part gave me chills, and my adrenaline was pumping, even though I kind of expected it.

The baby thread poster got chills from Pod being a sex god...

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET

Joramun posted:

One from Arianne, two from Barristan, one from Theon, one from Tyrion, and parts of one from Victarion. So six-ish.

Anyone have a link with all the chapters in order?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just another reminder how Pod is supposed to be, like, ten or something in the book. The creepiest thing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Shoehead posted:

Didn't he also say that the wall is a thousand feet high? The fat gently caress just has no sense of scale.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I didn't read much discussion after last week's ep, but am I missing something here? Tyrion paid the whores to not accept the money, right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I didn't read much discussion after last week's ep, but am I missing something here? Tyrion paid the whores to not accept the money, right?

Yes. Some of the children in the baby thread haven't figured that out. It's really pathetic.

E-- \/ \/ \/ No poo poo eh? I stand corrected. Goddamn that's still pretty pathetic.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 22, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

That's what I thought, but this ep had a scene between Varys and Ros where she was basically like "All the whores came and told me how great Pod was at sex". So, really dumb, but I guess that's a plot point now and the babby thread was right somehow.

E. \/ \/ \/ Thats a good point, I assumed that if Tyrion paid the whores to lie, Ros would be in on it too, but maybe not. Either way, I think we all can agree that it's dumb and that the other thread's reaction to it is really funny.

Bulletproof Tiger fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 22, 2013

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

That's what I thought, but this ep had a scene between Varys and Ros where she was basically like "All the whores came and told me how great Pod was at sex". So, really dumb, but I guess that's a plot point now and the babby thread was right somehow.

She also points out that when pressed for details, the usually very descriptive ladies weren't able to come up with anything specific, which to me suggests that it was a ruse.

Was stoked for Hound vs. Beric, but I guess dragons and poo poo was a decent ending. I just can't be bothered to care about Dany anymore.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

No, this has definitely been said. I think it was in a conversation between the Prince and his daughter when they had their spat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

aww, The Atlantic is warning people about Dany's lovely storyline :(

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/04/few-words-warning-about-game-thrones/64441/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That guy is like the biggest example "Reading books makes me better than you :smug:" ever

kenlyric
Nov 16, 2012

Rarity posted:

That guy is like the biggest example "Reading books makes me better than you :smug:" ever

So, what's his username here?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As far as the books go, that was the last cool thing Dany ever does.

Welcome to the next 4.5 seasons, baby thread. :unsmigghh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Richard Lawson you can go and suck a dick.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

kenlyric posted:

So, what's his username here?
Azure_Horizon, obviously.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

As far as the books go, that was the last cool thing Dany ever does.

Welcome to the next 4.5 seasons, baby thread. :unsmigghh:
Maybe it's because I was starved for action at that point, but it was pretty cool when she took off on Drogon in the arena. Though most of the cool can be attributed to Drogon and Belwas.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Flatscan posted:

Didn't he also say that the wall is a thousand feet high? The fat gently caress just has no sense of scale.

Since we gripe about this all the time, I've made a convenient chart that shows just how ridiculous The Wall's height is. The chart is in meters because I edited it from a pre-existing chart about the tallest statues in the world. I've only got so much time I'm willing to waste on GRRMs nonsense. I've added in measurements in feet though.

The height almost starts to look reasonable when it's next to those giant statues on the chart. Then if you look a photo of one of those statues in real life with some humans near it, you can get an idea of how dumb it is. Here's The Motherland Calls with some humans near the base:

If you stacked two of The Motherland on top of each other (including the height to the tip of the sword), The Wall would still be taller.

Totally reasonable that wildlings on the ground with bows could shoot people at the top of that. :downsgun:

EDIT: Additionally, here's a photo taken from the inside of the crown of the Statue of Liberty, and you can see a guy in red on the ground. The crown is roughly 260 feet from the ground. http://boongablogger.blogspot.com/2011/07/view-from-top.html

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 22, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Urdnot Fire posted:

Azure_Horizon, obviously.

Not even close.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rarity posted:

That JesusShakespeare commenter below the article is you, isn't it.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Show thread doesn't know, so in light of Vary's blunt exposition last night; why does he support the Targs if he hates magic with such a passion? Surely he's heard the 'Dragons are tied to magic' theories? I've only read the first few books so I don't know much about the black targ stuff or whatever, is it implied that Varys might be in to kill the dragons as well or is he in fact a Targ supporter in spite of his hatred of magics?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't remember the monologue at the end of DWD exactly, but he seemed much more concerned with Aegon being a good person than an actual Targ. Which he probably isn't anyway.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mnemosyne posted:

Since we gripe about this all the time, I've made a convenient chart that shows just how ridiculous The Wall's height is. The chart is in meters because I edited it from a pre-existing chart about the tallest statues in the world. I've only got so much time I'm willing to waste on GRRMs nonsense. I've added in measurements in feet though.

The height almost starts to look reasonable when it's next to those giant statues on the chart. Then if you look a photo of one of those statues in real life with some humans near it, you can get an idea of how dumb it is. Here's The Motherland Calls with some humans near the base:

If you stacked two of The Motherland on top of each other (including the height to the tip of the sword), The Wall would still be taller.

Totally reasonable that wildlings on the ground with bows could shoot people at the top of that. :downsgun:

EDIT: Additionally, here's a photo taken from the inside of the crown of the Statue of Liberty, and you can see a guy in red on the ground. The crown is roughly 260 feet from the ground. http://boongablogger.blogspot.com/2011/07/view-from-top.html

I believe GRRM came out and said once that he didn't realize how big he had written the wall. I just imagine it's about half that size, though even then it seems unlikely for the battle where the Night's Watch defends the wall from atop it to actually happen. Also, isn't there a manually-operated pulley elevator that takes people up there?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Seeing the Sept this episode was pretty cool, as well as Jeoffry being a creepy poo poo.

Also Ramsay keeps saying "My Lord" instead of "Mi'lord", it's a nice callback.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

She also points out that when pressed for details, the usually very descriptive ladies weren't able to come up with anything specific, which to me suggests that it was a ruse.

Was stoked for Hound vs. Beric, but I guess dragons and poo poo was a decent ending. I just can't be bothered to care about Dany anymore.

There are 12 episodes in the season? What exactly is left to do between now and the red wedding other than maybe the Beric stuff? I'm starting to lose track of what events would line up with this season because they've rushed so quickly into so many and because they've changed some of the storylines so much. I guess Brienne has to fight the bear and Arya has some travelling to do...

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 22, 2013

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

tadashi posted:

There are 12 episodes in the season? What exactly is left to do between now and the red wedding other than maybe the Beric stuff? I'm starting to lose track of what events would line up with this season because they've rushed so quickly into so many and because they've changed some of the storylines so much. I guess Brienne has to fight the bear and Arya has some travelling to do...

10 episodes. And you forgot the lord's kiss.

I'm guessing they'll just expand some of the made-for-TV stuff and rearrange the timing of other events. I didn't even remember until recently that Stannis' appearance at the Wall happens in A Storm of Swords, but that will probably be held back until next season and consist of every main character blacking out so they don't have to shoot a battle.

Publisher's Weekly posted:

A Storm of Swords Publishers Weekly is one of the more rewarding examples of gigantism in contemporary fantasy. [...] The complexity of characters such as Daenerys, Arya and the Kingslayer will keep readers turning even the vast number of pages contained in this volume, for the author, like Tolkien or Jordan, makes us care about their fates. Those two fantasy greats are also evoked by Martin's ability to convey such sensual experiences as the heat of wildfire, the chill of ice, the smell of the sea and the sheer gargantuan indigestibility of the medieval banquet at its most excessive.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 22, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

tadashi posted:

I think Sam meets a walker, or Coldhands. Jon goes over the wall, Bran saves Jon, the whole attack on the wall, Tyrion and Sansa get married, Roose picks up Jaime and sends him to KL, then he saves Brienne, uhh the B-don fight (I would have rather had this episode end with that fight and Thoros reviving Berric... poo poo, is that it? I guess Mellisandre will do some poo poo, and that will take place of the leeches.

Edit: Oh and Azor Ahai has to show up and wipe his rear end on a champion's cape.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm glad it looks like the show runners aren't completely retarded and said, along with the rest of the planet, "Why didn't you just have Gendry be the one Melisandre tries to burn?"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Maybe it's because I was starved for action at that point, but it was pretty cool when she took off on Drogon in the arena.
Yeah, that was the second-coolest (first is the Sack of Astapor, obviously) Dany scene in the entire series and one of the most memorable scenes of ADWD. The Spanish edition, :dance: Danza de Dragones :dance:, had the good sense to actually put it on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I think Sam meets a walker, or Coldhands. Jon goes over the wall, Bran saves Jon, the whole attack on the wall, Tyrion and Sansa get married, Roose picks up Jaime and sends him to KL, then he saves Brienne, uhh the B-don fight (I would have rather had this episode end with that fight and Thoros reviving Berric... poo poo, is that it? I guess Mellisandre will do some poo poo, and that will take place of the leeches.

Edit: Oh and Azor Ahai has to show up and wipe his rear end on a champion's cape.

I completely forgot about Sansa's wedding. I knew she had something important to do before Joffrey's wedding...