Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Has a Z1K got dual rear shocks?

Reckon this will affect the way it rides at all, beyond just being slightly lighter?

forgot about the dual shocks vs monoshock thing. could be an expensive aftermarket one, there are tons of bolt on upgrades for that bike. i wouldnt worry about it having a negative effect on the handling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Has a Z1K got dual rear shocks?

Reckon this will affect the way it rides at all, beyond just being slightly lighter?

It's not a Z1K, that's a monoshock design and the swingarm itself and brake / torque arm mount look a little different.

The ZRX has an absurd aftermarket following in Japan and the dual-shock design is popular across models. I couldn't find one that looks exactly like that, if you can find identifying marks it'd be easier to investigate. In theory the aftermarket arms are lighter and often stiffer and could help with handling; they're also stupidly expensive.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think you mean :britain:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

O'riginal posted:

My bike after today's ride

Sup same bike buddy! I'm loving mine more and more.

<no recent pictures of it, unfortunately>

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

Sup same bike buddy! I'm loving mine more and more.

<no recent pictures of it, unfortunately>

In the market for a cruiser myself, and these are consistently reviewed very well. The only complaint I've noticed is that the floorboards are mounted very low and are easy to scrape on hard cornering. Is it a problem or exaggerated?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gweenz posted:

In the market for a cruiser myself, and these are consistently reviewed very well. The only complaint I've noticed is that the floorboards are mounted very low and are easy to scrape on hard cornering. Is it a problem or exaggerated?

Yes and no. It absolutely scrapes at intersections if I'm turning right tightly/quickly, but I haven't had it happen at speed around real corners yet, nor to I plan to. The bike is stable and predictable through the corners, I'd go so far as to say it handles well, but I honestly don't have any desire to double the posted speed limit around turns and try to scrape hard parts.

I really love the bike, though. I love the styling (subjective) and as a smaller-ish dude the ergos are a pretty good fit for me. My friend's vulcan 900 felt enormous by comparison. I wouldn't mind getting some "pull back" risers to bring the bars about 1" back towards me, but it's doable. The power is pretty good for a middle weight, the exhaust sounds good even though it's quiet, no complaints about the fuel injection. The seat is surprisingly not awful, I rode 4 hours back from MD when I got it and my back hurt more than my butt. I'd like to get a mustang seat or just a backrest for it sometime, but you're talking $$$.

Just filled up the other day an managed to eek 53mpg out of it with ~70% conservative riding. My vulcan riding friend was envious, he gets high 30s when he's loaded down with gear doing 75 on the highway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gweenz posted:

I used to scrape the boards on my Vstar 1300 everywhere, and they're pretty similar bikes. So yes, it's probably pretty easy to do. But they're floating boards so when they touch you have another couple degrees to lean before they start dragging hard things. The point of contact (at least on my 1300) was removeable/replaceable too, so if you do it a lot, you don't really need to worry too much about grinding your whole bike off.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

My new (to me) bike! '98 VTR1000, she has about 51k miles but the price was right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, love the Superhawk :) Nice bike!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Very nice choice. The superhawk is an excellent bike.

You should swap on a VFR swingarm and fairings just to confuse people.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Listen to those cam chains - higher mileage superhawks are known for busting them. Also enjoy your 120 mile range.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Listen to those cam chains - higher mileage superhawks are known for busting them. Also enjoy your 120 mile range.

I can attest to the mileage; it's hilariously bad. Don't know about the cam chain thing, isn't it just the fact that the use the usual crappy honda tensioner? It looks identical to a fireblade one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I always see a lot of people advertising those as getting 40+ mpg and I have to laugh.

Engines are pretty bulletproof though, had a guy install manual cam chain tensioners and somehow while going on a (hard) test ride one of the tensioners shot out and pretty much grenaded his engine on one of the last days of class.

Unless it's making a clackey sound I wouldn't worry about it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's too cold for me to mess around taking pictures outside, but I'm pretty pumped about this:

2007 DRZ 400 with only 1900 miles. It's the nicest one I've seen in Craigslist in my area (and the best color), so I had to grab it before someone else did.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

We have a Superhawk at the shop with very similar mileage which ended up in our hands because a cam chain tensioner blew out and destroyed one of the heads.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

infraboy posted:

Wait what my CBR125 has started making that since I tightened the chain. I was already replacing the chain and sprockets on Saturday, but I think there might be a kink or two in the chain since it increases frequency with speed as opposed to revs. It's been doing that on-and-off for months though, I've just accepted it (my chain maintenance hasn't been what it should be, I admit).

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Anarchist posted:

My new (to me) bike! '98 VTR1000, she has about 51k miles but the price was right.

The price must have been low to have made that calamity worthwhile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:hellyeah:

He's back!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aw, welcome back buddy. :allears:

This IS the motorcycle posting thread, so what are you riding now, and how many chrome spikes does it have on it? On a scale of 1 to 10, how many times have you had to replace the fairings?

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Gweenz posted:

It happens. It's not really a "problem"; when you read the reviews and see that it's an easy bike to scrape in corners, you're more likely to expect it ... and the portion of the board that scrapes is made to be easily replaced.

In my normal riding, I don't scrape the boards. I am an old man though (50ish), and don't tend to take corners or bends at overly high speeds. You don't get the scraping on the freeway or going the speed limit on curvy roads; and yes, my tires have chicken strips.

The bike is really nice. I've had several Yamaha bikes the past twenty years; a few Viragos, a few V-Star 1100s, even a Road Star. By far the best bike for long distance camping trips was my Roadie .. until this V-Star 950. The Roadie was just too heavy, got terrible gas mileage (as motorcycles go) .. but was a beautiful bike. This V-Star has the looks and the long wheelbase / chassis so I can fit more crap on the back, it has much the same performance as my V-Star 1100s, and decent gas mileage. Oh, and fuel injection .. which is nice in that I won't have to be adjusting carbs when I get up in the mountains.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Went for a bit of a ride today:

I love this road and it starts just two blocks from where I live.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How is the FZ1 as a first bike? I'm glad to see you're still alive and well!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

infraboy posted:

I always see a lot of people advertising those as getting 40+ mpg and I have to laugh.

Engines are pretty bulletproof though, had a guy install manual cam chain tensioners and somehow while going on a (hard) test ride one of the tensioners shot out and pretty much grenaded his engine on one of the last days of class.

My boss says on occasion he gets around 10mpg. That's hilariously bad.
120 miles/tank is about right.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

infraboy posted:

Except that guy didn't properly install the actual camchain. Something about not using any loctite

But I still want a Superhawk as my next bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you like superhawks just spend a bit more money and get an Aprilia falco - very similar but pretty much better bike in every way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As a bonus, you'd be riding a bike called the Falco. Even if it was a lovely bike, I'd want one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'd just go for an RC-51 for sportiness or VFR if you want comfort, gear driven cams can't blow up like a cam chain. Also both options are fuel injected if you're going 5th gen and up on the VFR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

If you like superhawks just spend a bit more money and get an Aprilia falco - very similar but pretty much better bike in every way.

infraboy posted:

I'd just go for an RC-51 for sportiness or VFR if you want comfort, gear driven cams can't blow up like a cam chain. Also both options are fuel injected if you're going 5th gen and up on the VFR.

Unless you live here in NZ where a falco or an RC-51 are both worth exactly twice what a VTR is. The only direct competition the VTR has for the same price point here is the SV1000 and the TLS1000.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Unless you live here in NZ where a falco or an RC-51 are both worth exactly twice what a VTR is. The only direct competition the VTR has for the same price point here is the SV1000 and the TLS1000.

I'd take any Honda over any Suzuki so the answer seems clear.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Xovaan posted:

How is the FZ1 as a first bike? I'm glad to see you're still alive and well!

It's comfortable on longer rides, the clutch and brakes are very smooth and easy to modulate, and it's surprisingly easy to control the throttle because of the combination of a relatively long throttle pull combined with all the power being way up top in the RPM range. I pretty much operate it in the zero to ~75% throttle range and mostly under 6000 rpm and it still has more power than I'd ever need.

It pretty much does exactly what I was looking for in a bike - practical and small enough to be decent for in-town commuting, comfy and stable enough at freeway speeds for scenic touring rides. I can't wait to get some hardcases and a tank bag so I can go on longer rides/weekend trips.

It's still a terrible first bike, but two months and over 1k miles on it and I still don't ride like a dong. I still think a lot of the danger of a literbike as a first bike is the type of personality who WANTS a literbike as a first bike - the same type of person with poor self control and no patience who will proceed to try and show off doing wheelies the first day he has his endorsement. I didn't really want or care about how big my bike's engine was, just that it had enough power to get up some of the mountains around here without having to constantly pull to the shoulder to let other traffic by, and I have friends who have 250s who do have that problem around here - living in a valley between two mountain ranges and a huge gorge will do that.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Suzuki is where its at :nyd:

Since school has basically wrapped up for me, I've basically been living in the saddle the past few days. I even went to a local drag racing event. It was surprisingly fun and difficult (the launching part) and everyone was pretty friendly and chill. I took video, but my contour roam really is garbage.

Here's a picture of my bike frolicking near some wild flowers during my ride today.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I am trapped inside an office building while the weather is perfect and my bike is probably being vomited on by tramps in the parking lot. Looking at your picture and hearing about your free riding shows me what I am missing. Nothing personal, but I hate you on a cellular level.

Very very butthurt right now.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Now if Gullous would just give me my seat back.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Zool posted:

That will never be mistaken for any other motorcycle, ever. :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Please tell me some of that is high vis tape so it lights up like a christmas bike at night.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Zool posted:

Holy poo poo this is the coolest thing ever.

kitsunamugen
Dec 22, 2012

Zool posted:

I always wondered where the old Force India chassis' ended up.

That is a niiiiice bike.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Shimrod posted:

Please tell me some of that is high vis tape so it lights up like a christmas bike at night.

No, but the gold flake would probably shine pretty good under bright lights.

Zool fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2013

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
That paint job is THE poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh well, paintjob looks :krad: