Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anyway to change the Calendar setting so that events you've added don't disappear after the date has passed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

EugeneJ posted:

Is there anyway to change the Calendar setting so that events you've added don't disappear after the date has passed?
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> (Calendars) Sync -> All Events

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else actively using Mailbox?

I am finding more and more that I will NOT be notified I have an email unless I open the app and look. What the poo poo is that all about?

Notification settings are accurate. It USED to tell me.

Anyone else?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Feenix posted:

I am finding more and more that I will NOT be notified I have an email unless I open the app and look. What the poo poo is that all about?

Anyone else?

I think it's just overall iffy. It still works fine for me. I have a special tone for when I get an email in my default mail app, so when I hear it, I just open Mailbox and pull down to refresh. I don't have to do this that often though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Looks like pop spotter finally got their Fargo on :D

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Red posted:

Just in case you've forgotten about it: Yes, PaperKarma is awesome.

Question about PaperKarma:

If I get unsolicited mail from my insurance provider (USAA) and I process it through PaperKarma, will it also keep me from getting mail I actually want from them?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
App Shopper is back.

http://appshopper.com/blog/2013/04/21/appshopper-is-back-in-the-app-store-with-appshopper-social/

:toot:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
CLZ Games is currently free; it's the app version of the Collectorz.com programs for building a list of your game library, and works with the desktop version which you buy separately. Don't know why this one is free and the other versions(books, comics, movies) aren't, but it seems to work okay.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bucket Joneses posted:

If I get unsolicited mail from my insurance provider (USAA) and I process it through PaperKarma, will it also keep me from getting mail I actually want from them?

You can add yourself to the Do Not Call/Do Not Solicit national registry and most reputable companies will stop mailing you unless you have secretly gave them permission to do so in some kind of crappy legal declaration that no one reads.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

benisntfunny posted:

You can add yourself to the Do Not Call/Do Not Solicit national registry and most reputable companies will stop mailing you unless you have secretly gave them permission to do so in some kind of crappy legal declaration that no one reads.

In my experience that doesn't work for poo poo yet somehow paper karma magically does. Ymmv.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'd be nervous about doing so, though I can't imagine USAA would decide "Okay, he doesn't want bills or proof-of-insurance cards? Fine!".

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Bucket Joneses posted:

Bear in mind, "unsolicited" typically means stuff from companies you don't have a business relationship with. USAA is sending you unwanted mail, but it's not really unsolicited. That said, I'd love to hear if your volume of unwanted stuff drops if you process them through PaperKarma. I'd start using it too.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

No ipad version?

:(

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

UncleGuito posted:

No ipad version?

:(

Coming soon, apparently.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Feenix posted:

Anyone else?

I have a problem with Mailbox where it will show a badge on the app icon even though I have no unread emails. I changed the setting in the app itself so it shows a "1" only when I have unread emails, so it's not that.

I have a bunch of filters set up that move certain emails to folders and keep them unread - could that be the reason I have a badge on there when everything in my inbox is read? Could it be detecting unread emails that are going to folders other than my inbox? I like the app I just hate that the notification system on it is so inconsistent and unreliable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eriddy posted:

I have a problem with Mailbox where it will show a badge on the app icon even though I have no unread emails. I changed the setting in the app itself so it shows a "1" only when I have unread emails, so it's not that.

I have a bunch of filters set up that move certain emails to folders and keep them unread - could that be the reason I have a badge on there when everything in my inbox is read? Could it be detecting unread emails that are going to folders other than my inbox? I like the app I just hate that the notification system on it is so inconsistent and unreliable.

The badge count is for emails still in your inbox. The whole point of the Mailbox app is to have an Inbox Zero state.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

eriddy posted:

I had a problem similar to this, but I realized that it wasn't syncing all of my inbox backlog (and it was a big one :negative:). So I went into Thunderbird and sorted the rest of my emails manually and I haven't had any issues with incorrect badge numbers ever since.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The badge count is for emails still in your inbox. The whole point of the Mailbox app is to have an Inbox Zero state.

I changed that setting in the app so it only shows a badge when there are unread emails, not emails in general. Despite changing this, it still shows a badge randomly and I can't figure out any pattern to the behavior.

eriddy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 24, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not sure this is the right thread for this, but I searched and I didn't find a more appropiate one:

Is there any recommended cross-platform app that enables me to do secure (ie: encrypted) mobile-to-mobile messaging?

Usually when I'm dealing with iPhone to iPhone, I use iMessage since it's reportedly extremely secure (so long as you don't lose your phone, I guess), but I've recently been needing to send sensitive information to Blackberries, Android phones, and Windows Phone... phones.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Is there a remote app that works with software like mplayerx that can open up files? I would love to be able to use my ipad as a remote to browse through files to open something, but I can't find anything to do this. It seems like this would be something a lot of people would use, so i'm a little surprised I can't find anything like it.

Any suggestions?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

This might be too much of a niche, but I'll ask anyway:

Is there some hardware/app combo for an iPad that lets me play/pause/resume a video (or even an MP3) with an external controller other than inline headphone buttons? I take notes or transcribe from a lot of audio/video recordings, and would love something approaching an old-fashioned dictation machine that allowed a secretary to control it with a foot-pedal. Not having to take my hands off the keyboard while I type is the goal here.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

This might be too much of a niche, but I'll ask anyway:

Is there some hardware/app combo for an iPad that lets me play/pause/resume a video (or even an MP3) with an external controller other than inline headphone buttons? I take notes or transcribe from a lot of audio/video recordings, and would love something approaching an old-fashioned dictation machine that allowed a secretary to control it with a foot-pedal. Not having to take my hands off the keyboard while I type is the goal here.
If this is meant to be an all inclusive job on the iPad (i.e. media playing on the iPad while also typing on it*), all I can think of is a keyboard with media keys like the Apple one (and probably most others these days). Wouldn't necessarily be a separate controller and you'd have to move you hand a bit, but it'd basically be like reaching a little past the 8 key to the play/pause key (on the Apple keyboard at least).

*No clue if this would work with those fancy note taking apps that have multiple things going on, but I think it would work with whatever background capable player app and text app in front.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I left a few things out, it seems. I don't need to do this all-in-one, as I'm usually using my laptop for the transcriptions. Also, I did try using a bluetooth keyboard, but annoyingly, when I'm playing a video in the Videos app, the media keys want to control the Music app. (Imagine my confusion the first time that happened). It will work for transcribing from MP3s, but I'm still in search of a video transcribing solution.

Thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mike- posted:

Is there a remote app that works with software like mplayerx that can open up files? I would love to be able to use my ipad as a remote to browse through files to open something, but I can't find anything to do this. It seems like this would be something a lot of people would use, so i'm a little surprised I can't find anything like it.

Any suggestions?
I'm not really sure what you're trying to do but maybe rowmote? Are you wanting to control mplayer running on your mac, or... ?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone have any idea why when I search for NSFW tags on the tumblr app, that it says "no posts found"? Yet if I search the same tags directly through the website on the phone they come up?

It's like the app is censoring my searches, yet I can't find anywhere that would remove the censor.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Can anyone tell me what the jagged "break" in the newsfeed in the middle of this screenshot of the Facebook app means? I don't see it all the time, but when it does show up I can't seem to figure out what it means.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If it's like the Twitter app that means there's been a time jump there. Meaning some posts in between there are not being show.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
If you scroll up and manually refresh it will load those chopped stories. Really annoying.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I think you can tap the "tear" and it'll fill it in.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As long as it works like other apps that do that, yeah, you can fill in the timeline gap by tapping it. Of course, other apps actually have text there that says "Tap to see timeline gap". Zuckeyburg's half-rear end programmers strike again.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

As long as it works like other apps that do that, yeah, you can fill in the timeline gap by tapping it. Of course, other apps actually have text there that says "Tap to see timeline gap". Zuckeyburg's half-rear end programmers strike again.

I haven't tried it in the newest version, but at least in older versions of the app tapping that space did nothing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

I haven't tried it in the newest version, but at least in older versions of the app tapping that space did nothing.

Hmm... I could have sworn I did it recently. Maybe I'm thinking of the Twitter app.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
It symbolises missing stories, but it might not actually be programmed competently.

Which Twitter app is the best one nowadays? I've been using the normal Twitter app for a while, but since I have to stop using it for a few months, I'd be ready for a change when I get back. Or is the normal Twitter app basically the best now?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tweetbot.

EDIT: vvv Oh yeah, Twitterrific is really good too. vvv

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 27, 2013

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Allan Assiduity posted:

Which Twitter app is the best one nowadays? I've been using the normal Twitter app for a while, but since I have to stop using it for a few months, I'd be ready for a change when I get back. Or is the normal Twitter app basically the best now?

Tweetbot and Twitterrific are the only ones worth using IMHO.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Allan Assiduity posted:

It symbolises missing stories, but it might not actually be programmed competently.

I used to be a big Tweetbot fan, but I've recently switched to Twitterrific since their big redesign. It's not for a poweruser, but it really looks and feels great.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
Any suggestions for white noise apps? I found White Noise mentioned in the thread, but no discussion of the topic. I seem to remember a goon created app from the last thread.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

clayburn posted:

Any suggestions for white noise apps? I found White Noise mentioned in the thread, but no discussion of the topic. I seem to remember a goon created app from the last thread.

The goon one is storm sim I think it's alright. I've been using White Noise for years personally it works well enough for me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

clayburn posted:

I've used simply noise, it's got a few options and brown noise is nicer generally than white noise anyway. It's not free, from memory but it does the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

echinopsis posted:

I've used simply noise, it's got a few options and brown noise is nicer generally than white noise anyway. It's not free, from memory but it does the trick

I wasn't really aware there where different colors of noise until now. I'm mainly just looking for something that helps me sleep and helps the dog not hear the neighbors every time they breathe.

• Locked thread