Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

nwin posted:

Do any of the Texas breweries have decent ipa's/dipa's? I like lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin, ranger ipa, torpedo, an most west coast ipa's. I've only tried shiners wild hare pale ale and was kind meh on that. I did like st Arnold's endeavor ipa though.

(512) IPA is a regular go-to for me. Also Austin Beerworks Fire Eagle. Since you live in Houston, you can easily get super fresh Endeavour though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm 'Phamatic' on Untappd. Stupid iPhone keyboard.

Also, Anderson Valley's bourbon-aged version of their oatmeal stout is delicious.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Oh god, I just added myself to the google docs untappd list, you all know last name now. I feel so naked.

About to add BA Kopi Speedway to my untappd list, this is a lovely beer with a fantastic woody aftertaste, the coffee's still very bright and fresh, and it's not overly cloying...tough to bone this one up when the base beer is so good.

To that point, wasn't a big fan of the Stone espresso IRS. I found it unbalanced and too bitter, which if that's what they were going for, rad, but it was hard to finish the bottle over a 2+ hour span. I'll throw a few in the cellar in hopes it settles down.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Oh yeah, update OP to include that Untappd spreadsheet?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Oh god, I just added myself to the google docs untappd list, you all know last name now. I feel so naked.

About to add BA Kopi Speedway to my untappd list, this is a lovely beer with a fantastic woody aftertaste, the coffee's still very bright and fresh, and it's not overly cloying...tough to bone this one up when the base beer is so good.

To that point, wasn't a big fan of the Stone espresso IRS. I found it unbalanced and too bitter, which if that's what they were going for, rad, but it was hard to finish the bottle over a 2+ hour span. I'll throw a few in the cellar in hopes it settles down.

I personally felt like BA Kopi was quite...hot. I thought it needed the barrel and bourbon characteristics to be toned down a bit before it was hitting peak.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I only use untappd to keep track of the beers I drink, and I haven't fully added all of the beers I've tried yet, so there might be times when it seems like I'm drinking like thirty beers in one night.

With that said, I added myself to the GoonTappd list. I won't probably add anybody tonight, but I will the next time I'm not absolutely exhausted.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

air- posted:

Oh yeah, update OP to include that Untappd spreadsheet?

Samfucius and deadwing, I can't add you, it doesn't find your names. I triple-checked the spelling on both.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

wattershed posted:

Samfucius and deadwing, I can't add you, it doesn't find your names. I triple-checked the spelling on both.

Untappd is weird as hell then I guess, my name's right. Try a direct link.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

deadwing posted:

Untappd is weird as hell then I guess, my name's right. Try a direct link.

That of course worked, right on. Same for Samfucius.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Yeah, I was just enjoying some GoodLife Descender IPA when I got the bad news that my untappd profile was being finicky. Here's the direct link: https://untappd.com/user/Samfucius

I will also add it to the google doc

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Samfucius posted:

Yeah, I was just enjoying some GoodLife Descender IPA when I got the bad news that my untappd profile was being finicky. Here's the direct link: https://untappd.com/user/Samfucius

That's a darned good IPA. I think it would be getting a lot more attention in Oregon right now if everyone wasn't going apeshit over Boneyard.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That's a darned good IPA. I think it would be getting a lot more attention in Oregon right now if everyone wasn't going apeshit over Boneyard.

I wish it was a little bit hoppier because I am a hops lover and a little stiffer because I am a heavyweight, but it is wonderful. It was really cool to see it on sale at safeway.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

This was a really good loving beer. Somebody told me it was a lot like 14, but only if you compared it to 15. I've had 12-16 and I think I'd rate it #2 behind #13.
I initially smelled and tasted Velvet Merkin which unsurprisingly leads the blend. Still fairly hot, but the oat from Velvet Merkin/Parabola along with the nice dark chocolate notes they have makes this a really tasty beer. These characters keep the beer tilting towards the smooth and drinkable side, abv/wood content considered. Its not quite as drinkable(while young) as the 15 but definitely more drinkable than the 14 which is still over-oak-tannin-ed. The tequila barrel aged "PNC" adds an interesting note in the finish that while I enjoyed it, I would honestly leave out if I were to blend it again.
I wish brandy barrels werent so rare for brewers to get, I think that Velvet Merkin aged in brandy barrels would be unbelievably awesome and would lead this beer into totally amazing dimensions.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Added a bunch of people on Untappd, if I missed you it's not because I hate you - feel free to add me back so you, too, can enjoy my majestic top hat.

In State College for the next couple of days for work - went out with my friends to The Deli (?) last night. Food sucked, beer was great - still tons of Duck Rabbit on from the tap takeover, and I see they're tapping a keg of KBS this coming Thursday. Crazy stuff!

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I'm brshumard, but I'm not logging any beers as of late. Feel free to add me though.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Added myself to the Untappd list (Retemnav, what a surprise).

Hickory Hops was a hell of a great time and I got to try a bunch of breweries that I've only heard of. Wicked Weed stole the show with a sour guava beer that was great, sour but still crisp and fruity. Also the rest of their beer was really good, although I thought that their hoppy beers had a real similar hop profile, kind of monotonous.

Mostly though, it was a beautiful day filled with a lot of good beer and conversation.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Any goons going to Dark Lord Day looking for a carpool?

Shane and I will be driving down and have two spots for people who won't murder us for expensive beer. We're just trying to break the gas costs cheaper.

We're going to leave from the North Side Chicago (think Morse red line) at either 4 or 5 am. We have group D tickets so we'll be staying at least that long.

PM me or e-mail.

jmurra7 AT Gmail

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you're going to be in Philly during Beer Week in June, then you don't want to miss Dunkel Dare. It's just like Double Dare (Philly native Marc Summers is even hosting!) but it pits two teams of brewers against each other in ridiculous challenges to claim a permanent tap at Frankford Hall. This year's contestants are Victory, Sly Fox, Yards, and Great Lakes. And you get to watch them be ridiculous while you drink German beer by the liter. It's an amazing time.

edit: I accidentally linked to last year's announcement. While I fix it you can view this video of Marc Summers showcasing his crowd control skills at last year's event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Trrhf_nc0

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 22, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Shane and I will be driving down and have two spots for people who won't murder us for expensive beer. We're just trying to break the gas costs cheaper.

Also have more fun because more people = more fun, babies.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

We're going to leave from the North Side Chicago (think Morse red line) at either 4 or 5 am. We have group D tickets so we'll be staying at least that long.

PM me or e-mail.

jmurra7 AT Gmail

Well that's tempting but alas, I'll be tied up with another nerd hobby until mid-afternoon. I'll be down for the E session. If a goon area is still settled by then, post and my friend and I might swing by.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Angry Grimace posted:

My username is "Angrygrimace" which probably doesn't shock anyone.

Content:

Ruination IPA Aged In Kentucky Bourbon Barrels. Its kind of awful. The barreling makes it taste a bit like nail polish.

So glad I didn't get any of this.. I was sorely tempted when I was at the South Park store yesterday.

I grabbed a bottle of Enjoy By 5/17, and enjoyed it by 4/21. I also grabbed a couple bottles of '08 Stone Imperial Russian Stout they released yesterday. Can't wait to crack into one of those and see how it's held up. I had an '09 last weekend that was nothing but smooth deliciousness.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I still haven't worked out how long I'll be at DLD, but I'm covered on getting there from Chicago. A friend of mine lives about 5 minutes from the brewery so we'll probably carpool from his place.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rage-saq posted:

This was a really good loving beer. Somebody told me it was a lot like 14, but only if you compared it to 15. I've had 12-16 and I think I'd rate it #2 behind #13.
I initially smelled and tasted Velvet Merkin which unsurprisingly leads the blend. Still fairly hot, but the oat from Velvet Merkin/Parabola along with the nice dark chocolate notes they have makes this a really tasty beer. These characters keep the beer tilting towards the smooth and drinkable side, abv/wood content considered. Its not quite as drinkable(while young) as the 15 but definitely more drinkable than the 14 which is still over-oak-tannin-ed. The tequila barrel aged "PNC" adds an interesting note in the finish that while I enjoyed it, I would honestly leave out if I were to blend it again.
I wish brandy barrels werent so rare for brewers to get, I think that Velvet Merkin aged in brandy barrels would be unbelievably awesome and would lead this beer into totally amazing dimensions.

I actually quite liked Mikkeler's barrel-aged stout that was done in Calvados barrels. As much as the industry has flocked towards Bourbon barrels, I think Brandy and other liquor-aging barrels sounds really interesting. Maybe even a blend of them, although Tequila-aged barrels has me worried.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually quite liked Mikkeler's barrel-aged stout that was done in Calvados barrels. As much as the industry has flocked towards Bourbon barrels, I think Brandy and other liquor-aging barrels sounds really interesting. Maybe even a blend of them, although Tequila-aged barrels has me worried.

It was good. But not $17/9oz good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Nothing is that good, but my wife wanted to know what Weasel Poop beer tasted like and I wasn't going to let her open a 750mL of BA Speedway to find out since despite the price, it didn't require any effort to find a bottle of it. I don't think I paid $17, I think it was $13, not that its not a huge rip-off at either price.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

You sure that was a 9 oz. bottle? I thought the Black Hole variations were in something closer to 375s. At least the couple of variations I've bought bottled (red wine, bourbon) were. NOTE: They're all still too expensive, but I loved wine-barrel BCBS so much I'd pay good money for a bad imposter.

I liked how unique the tequila was, but wouldn't want more than a small taster of it. Then again, I kinda hate tequila so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

You sure that was a 9 oz. bottle? I thought the Black Hole variations were in something closer to 375s. At least the couple of variations I've bought bottled (red wine, bourbon) were.

I liked how unique the tequila was, but wouldn't want more than a small taster of it. Then again, I kinda hate tequila so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

I was talking about Beer Geek Brunch Weasel in Calvados barrels. I've got the empty on my shelf at home.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I was talking about Beer Geek Brunch Weasel in Calvados barrels. I've got the empty on my shelf at home.

gently caress. Reading skills.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Speaking of weird stout talk, for some random reason a bunch of places in California are now occasionally getting kegs of GI Bourbon County Stout. In April. I don't know what's up with that. It wouldn't be particularly weird but for the fact that we've never gotten any bottles distributed here at all, or if so, it was highly limited.

In other old beers-not-distributed-in-CA news, I heard that Larry Bell finally succeeded in muscling out every other stockholder by refusing to expand their contracts and threatening to sell to InBev. Hopefully that means we'll see Bell's here? (I'm not holding my breath)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 22, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Apparently I created an Untapped account like 2 years ago and then never used it :downs: Added myself to the spreadsheet, unimaginative username Docjowles. Now to actually start using this thing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'll add mine to the list, its actually me and a buddy who use it because a year ago we did little videos reviewing beers...don't judge me.
E: Its like 90% me on the account...except that Im not drinking this month haha.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 22, 2013

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Capt. Awesome posted:

So glad I didn't get any of this.. I was sorely tempted when I was at the South Park store yesterday.

I grabbed a bottle of Enjoy By 5/17, and enjoyed it by 4/21. I also grabbed a couple bottles of '08 Stone Imperial Russian Stout they released yesterday. Can't wait to crack into one of those and see how it's held up. I had an '09 last weekend that was nothing but smooth deliciousness.

Ah DAMNIT I forgot they were doing that '08 IRS release. Totally, completely, 100% free yesterday but I have no time over the next few days to go down there, oh well.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Roommate texted from Denver yesterday and said she managed to land a bottle of '09 Mephistopheles from whatever store she was at. Neither of us has ever had it before, is this something super-rare/special/delicious with age on it or nothing overly special? She mentioned that she was considering passing it along to a friend of hers that also does bottle shares, so I wanted to get a few opinions before she made a decision one way or the other.

She's also got more Surettes (one of which I'm gifting to my favorite clerk at Tasty Beverage :) ), three different Deschutes bottles that she neglected to name, and an Odell 90 Shilling. Can't wait for her to get home.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Valencia posted:

Roommate texted from Denver yesterday and said she managed to land a bottle of '09 Mephistopheles from whatever store she was at. Neither of us has ever had it before, is this something super-rare/special/delicious with age on it or nothing overly special? She mentioned that she was considering passing it along to a friend of hers that also does bottle shares, so I wanted to get a few opinions before she made a decision one way or the other.

She's also got more Surettes (one of which I'm gifting to my favorite clerk at Tasty Beverage :) ), three different Deschutes bottles that she neglected to name, and an Odell 90 Shilling. Can't wait for her to get home.

I can't be that rare. I have a bottle of it and I think I got it like a week ago.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Valencia posted:

None of those are really rare out here. Meph is a great AIS by Avery. Most people tend to get a lot of dark fruit and some chocolate off of it; it's overall pretty sweet and a little hot, but hey it's 16%. Very good, you'll enjoy that. I don't know how aging affects it but I'd guess positively based on it's %ABV. If you can drink it, I would go at it.

Surette is of course lovely. A very earthy, oak-y farmhouse ale that has great fruity, sorta citrusy sourness underneath. Basically I love being able to get Crooked Stave on the regular.

I don't know what you got from Deschutes, but that never goes awry. I don't know if we got that in IL, but if I have to trade Bells for Deschutes I guess that's okay. Also 90 Shilling is great, but I've probably had too much of it at this point. It's goddamn everywhere and doesn't really stand out with any particular uniqueness in my opinion, but it is basically a Scottish-inspired amber ale. Truth be told I'd rather have Old Chub over 90 Shilling at this point if we're talking strictly Scottish ales, but 90 Shilling is much lighter and very easy drinking whereas Chub is higher gravity and definitely heavier on the palate. You won't be disappointed, 90 Shilling is basically perfect, but without some sort of really signature flavor aspect I guess it's lost some of its initial magic for me.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 22, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Eejit, have you tried Trinity's Chilly Water baltic porter? I lived in CO Springs for a while last year, and they kept promising that it would be rolled out "next week," and then I moved. I've been debating going down there to get some along with their other brews, but haven't gotten a report on it yet. For the first time that I've seen, they've been sending bottles of Slap Yer Mammy up to Ft Collins, so now I don't have to travel for that.
Re: 90 Shilling, it's become my favorite beer in Ft Collins. I think turnover is so high on pretty much every tap around town that you're guaranteed to get it fresh.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Valencia posted:

Roommate texted from Denver yesterday and said she managed to land a bottle of '09 Mephistopheles from whatever store she was at. Neither of us has ever had it before, is this something super-rare/special/delicious with age on it or nothing overly special?

No, but it can be very good. They are fairly "easy" find pretty old if you want to. I've enjoyed the bottles I've had with 4-5 years on them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely love old Meph. If anyone has access to it I would trade for it in a heartbeat.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Podima posted:

I absolutely love old Meph. If anyone has access to it I would trade for it in a heartbeat.

I found it on the third try at Davidson's in Highlands Ranch. Most liquor stores have have absolute poo poo websites, but it should be there. So there should still be some Meph in CO, although I have yet to really find a good bottle shop with past years in inventory (and I don't really care to as I expect that would push the beer budget) but the 2012 I had around Christmas was quite good.

Also apparently it's released every December which explains why I saw so much of it a few months ago and see less of it now.

e: That reminds me that Avery Anniversary 2013 or 20 or whatever they're going to call it is coming out soon. As is the BA Black IPA at Lone Tree.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Since today's my birthday, I popped an Uinta Birthday Suit at the stroke of midnight. Though my girlfriend partook in a bit of it, I had to finish the rest on my own. Don't do that. It's not bad but you really need to share this beer with others. Intensely tart, but at the cost of subtlety. Even though there's some chocolate-y, fruity stuff in the background, the initial shock of tartness is so unbalanced that it hardly matters since it sticks around for so long. Not a horrible sour, but I expected more from a 20th anniversary beer. Especially from Uinta.