Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
An entire week and the GNex Maguro still doesn't have a normal nightly build. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

An entire week and the GNex Maguro still doesn't have a normal nightly build.
The builds marked Experiemental and Nightly are effectively the same thing, it's just that Experimental means the build was started manually after a specific commit. I don't know why that is happening in the case of the maguro builds right now but you can treat them as nightlies.

The other reason these are marked Experimental is because it's the only build type that allows the addition of extra tags (in this case to say which gerrit/git commit they were built after). It's the same reason the "M" releases are marked Experimental. It's a limitation of the CM build system.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So I am running rooted stock (+stock recovery) on my Sprint GS3. The most recent OTA update that was sent out a week or so ago got pushed to me and I accidentally installed it without doing any of the special rootkeeper/OTA protect, etc procedures available in the new superuser.

Now, a couple things have happened:

1) I don't think the update was applied, my android version says 4.1.1
2) the device is not showing up on my list of devices through the web-based play store.
3) Root seems to be broken, although SU seems to still have some permissions granted to it.
4) when an app tries to access root privileges it crashes my phone

So my question is, do I need to re-root my device, apply the rootkeeper options, re-install the OTA update, then restore root? I searched around xda and didn't see this problem discussed, so I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Tunga posted:

The builds marked Experiemental and Nightly are effectively the same thing, it's just that Experimental means the build was started manually after a specific commit. I don't know why that is happening in the case of the maguro builds right now but you can treat them as nightlies.

The other reason these are marked Experimental is because it's the only build type that allows the addition of extra tags (in this case to say which gerrit/git commit they were built after). It's the same reason the "M" releases are marked Experimental. It's a limitation of the CM build system.

Yeah, but I'm using CyanDelta to get updates, and I'd rather not have to bother setting that up again because :effort: so I'm just waiting for a proper nightly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Yeah, but I'm using CyanDelta to get updates, and I'd rather not have to bother setting that up again because :effort: so I'm just waiting for a proper nightly.
It's literally one button press in the updater.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why wouldn't my Windows 8 laptop be able to see the wifi network created by WiFi Tether? I have PDANet installed as well, but the USB connection never completed. At PDANet's prompt, I installed FoxFi, but even though my laptop connected to the hotspot, it couldn't reach the Internet. What am I doing wrong to have so much trouble tethering?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are there any worth while roms for the HTC One m7 yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: The developer version of the One actually has a properly behaving bootloader unlock.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I am so loving sick of my piece of poo poo Optimus 2x. I have CM7 on it and it was fine at first but it just became worse and worse with time. Spotify keeps deleting all songs, Swiftkey stops working periodically, forcing me to reinstall it all the drat time. GPS doesn't work at all and overall the phone has turned into poo poo. Now LG managed to push out Android 4.0 for the 2X and while I consider LG's software developers rather "special" for managing to make a dualcore processor struggle to work on the homescreen it seems worth it to try and get 4.0 instead of this rooted 2.3 thing.

Sadly I have no idea how to unroot my phone and I've been looking around on the internet but I can't find any good guides. Maybe I should just throw this thing in the wall and be done with it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Torabi posted:

I am so loving sick of my piece of poo poo Optimus 2x. I have CM7 on it and it was fine at first but it just became worse and worse with time. Spotify keeps deleting all songs, Swiftkey stops working periodically, forcing me to reinstall it all the drat time. GPS doesn't work at all and overall the phone has turned into poo poo. Now LG managed to push out Android 4.0 for the 2X and while I consider LG's software developers rather "special" for managing to make a dualcore processor struggle to work on the homescreen it seems worth it to try and get 4.0 instead of this rooted 2.3 thing.

Sadly I have no idea how to unroot my phone and I've been looking around on the internet but I can't find any good guides. Maybe I should just throw this thing in the wall and be done with it.

If LG has an official ICS ROM for your phone, wouldn't it be easier for you to wait for any dev working on the 2X to release a custom ROM based on that official ICS update?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anakha posted:

If LG has an official ICS ROM for your phone, wouldn't it be easier for you to wait for any dev working on the 2X to release a custom ROM based on that official ICS update?
It's a piece of poo poo phone to start with so no amount of mucking around with it is going to fix it.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I'm on an Asus TF300T that I've had since launch day and finally got around to rooting. Before I trawl around XDA more than I have to, is there a consensus "Best ROM", or is it best to leave it as rooted stock with a few tweaks? I don't have the dock if that's a concern.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm looking to root my Verizon Galaxy S 3. Is there a preferred way to do this? And what should I look out for to make sure I don't gently caress my phone up?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mikeycp posted:

I'm looking to root my Verizon Galaxy S 3. Is there a preferred way to do this?
I'm not sure what the current, preferred method is for the Verizon SGS3. However, beware that the Verizon SGS3 is different from all other North American SGS3 models in that it has a locked bootloader, as well as different from the international SGS3 models which are a different beast entirely.

Chances are there's an exploit-based method for the Verizon SGS3 that you can use, and if you just want root, that's enough. However if you want to use custom kernels or a custom ROM, you'll likely have to reflash the bootloader. It's not particularly difficult to do, but you'll definitely want to make sure whatever instructions you follow pertain to the Verizon model specifically.

FWIW, one of the popular Verzion SGS3 bootloader flashers was/is very annoying in that it did no safety checks and would blindly flash and brick non-Verizon SGS3 models. IIRC the author was a smug rear end in a top hat and admitted that although safety checks would be easy to implement, he couldn't be bothered to appeal to folks who follow the wrong directions. Which makes him a smug rear end in a top hat.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mikeycp posted:

I'm looking to root my Verizon Galaxy S 3. Is there a preferred way to do this? And what should I look out for to make sure I don't gently caress my phone up?

I used this guide to install CM on my VZW GS3: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_d2vzw

It's the only guide I could find that was at all useful for me. I know it doesn't strictly go through just rooting, but if you only follow the first section, "Flash alternate bootloader and custom recovery," you should be able to get yourself a superuser apk running fairly easily.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anyone running latest version of Paranoid Android? I rooted my Galaxy S Blaze, and got everything all set up and proper. Though, when I try to connect the phone to my PC, I don't get the option under the menu shade to view the USB storage or connect as a mass storage device or whatever. It just charges the battery. Any reason why this would happen?

Nevermind, didn't realize I needed to specify that under the Storage menu settings.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 23, 2013

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Torabi posted:

I am so loving sick of my piece of poo poo Optimus 2x. I have CM7 on it and it was fine at first but it just became worse and worse with time.
Any reason you're sticking with CM7? Maybe try CM10.1? It works fine just be sure to install another kernel.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ah forget it posted:

Any reason you're sticking with CM7? Maybe try CM10.1? It works fine just be sure to install another kernel.

Back when I rooted it wasn't available. But it doesn't matter now. About to buy the Nexus 4. :buddy:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is there a way to map a hardware home button so when you long press it, it opens up Google Now? I can only set it to open up search, menu switcher, and recent apps under the system settings on the latest version of Paranoid Android. I guess I'm looking for an app that requires root to change this, right?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

teagone posted:

Is there a way to map a hardware home button so when you long press it, it opens up Google Now? I can only set it to open up search, menu switcher, and recent apps under the system settings on the latest version of Paranoid Android. I guess I'm looking for an app that requires root to change this, right?

If it's anything like CM, the search assistant option should default to google now if that's installed. I have it set up this way on my SGS3.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DashingGentleman posted:

If it's anything like CM, the search assistant option should default to google now if that's installed. I have it set up this way on my SGS3.

Oh, the search assistant does the voice search part of Google Now. That works, as I have it setup to launch when I long press the hardware search button on my phone (Galaxy S Blaze). I'm looking to have the home button, when long pressed, bring up my Google Now cards. Or specifically, to launch the 'Google Search' app that you can download from the Play Store.

Kind of accomplished this by using Nova Launcher.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 23, 2013

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Google Butt posted:

Are there any worth while roms for the HTC One m7 yet?

If you don't mind how incredibly European it is, TrickDroid is pretty okay. Just gotta change the language to US English, change Celsius to Fahrenheit, change military time to AM/PM, and DD/MM/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY.

That's just me, though. Once I had it set up, the only thing that bugged me is how the 4G logo is replaced by "H" to signify +HSPA.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

SirSigma posted:

Once I had it set up, the only thing that bugged me is how the 4G logo is replaced by "H" to signify +HSPA.

Well, assuming that IS what you're using, it's more accurate. HSPA+ is not 4G.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Dross posted:

LTE isn't really 4G too but who's counting.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Dross posted:

I am aware of that. I just think the stock rom's "4G" icon was more appealing to the eye than the dull-looking "H". It's a minor thing, and I can live with it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If anyone asks about the H while pawing at your phone, just use it as an excuse to go all Spinal Tap on them and insist that most smartphones only go to 4G, so H is 1 higher.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hey guys, a quick question about a failed OTA for my rooted stock 4.1.1 GS3 on Sprint:

I tried to apply the latest OTA update for my GS3 rooted with the stock recovery and everything, it failed and will not update my phone to 4.1.2.

My phone is not showing up under my approved devices when I use the browser-based play store, so I can't remote install apps anymore on my phone. Occasionally I get an error triangle with "user login request" which just goes away once I click on it.

I have been tooling around XDA and do not see anyone who has experienced this, have you guys seen this before? Have any suggestions on how to get out of the shitbox. I guess I could backup my apps, unroot-to-stock, apply updates and restore everything through titaniumBU. But that is a real pain in the rear end if I can avoid it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Hey guys, a quick question about a failed OTA for my rooted stock 4.1.1 GS3 on Sprint:

I tried to apply the latest OTA update for my GS3 rooted with the stock recovery and everything, it failed and will not update my phone to 4.1.2.

My phone is not showing up under my approved devices when I use the browser-based play store, so I can't remote install apps anymore on my phone. Occasionally I get an error triangle with "user login request" which just goes away once I click on it.

I have been tooling around XDA and do not see anyone who has experienced this, have you guys seen this before? Have any suggestions on how to get out of the shitbox. I guess I could backup my apps, unroot-to-stock, apply updates and restore everything through titaniumBU. But that is a real pain in the rear end if I can avoid it.

Basically if you are rooted you should not expect any OTA to work.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Bobert51 posted:

Anybody else having problems with the past few CM nightlies? I've been getting a handful(~5) of reboots a day since installing some of the recent nightlies on my d2vzw. I'm on 4/14 right now but had the problem with the couple nighlies before it too. I had been on the old m2 for a long time and hadn't had any problems at all with that one.

So I'm still having this problem with every nightly. Apparently it's an issue with the 3.4 kernel. The general consensus over on XDA is that the 3/17 build is the best option for people having the reboots. I figured since it's a kernel issue, I could just use an alternative kernel, maybe even the official CM pre 3.4. Would that be a bad idea, trying to use the current nightlies with an old kernel? Is there an alternative kernel that someone could recommend that would play nice with the recent nightlies? If there isn't one, or it would be a bad idea for some reason I'm not thinking of, where could I find old builds of CM. The official site only has the past couple nightlies and I haven't had any luck Googling a mirror of the 3/17 d2vzw build. Thanks for any advice you folks could offer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm on the Galaxy Nexus but every nightly since the M3 has slowed to a crawl within a matter of hours. I rolled back to M3 and I'm just going to ignore the nightlies until some pet feature gets merged.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

I'm on the Galaxy Nexus but every nightly since the M3 has slowed to a crawl within a matter of hours. I rolled back to M3 and I'm just going to ignore the nightlies until some pet feature gets merged.

I rolled back on your suggestion. I've only had one um, hard sleep since. I removed feedly as well. Things have been much better with the m3. Like you I was getting the slow downs prior, they are mostly gone. Sometimes I just have to close open apps. But yea, sticking with this till the next m/stable.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

nimper posted:

Basically if you are rooted you should not expect any OTA to work.

thank you. I guess I just need to flash the stock rooted rom overtop. If I want to make that update should I also flash radios/etc? If I am not mistaken those were also updated with the OTA.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

M3 still slows my gnex down to pathetic levels, my friend's AT&T S2 variant goes faster :psyduck:

I'm really considering switching back to stock, something somewhere in my phone is killing performance and it's just frustrating.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's odd, I've been on m3 for a while and it's been much snappier than the previous few nightlies I used.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I'm thinking about switching from CM to a Touchwiz-based ROM- is there any special process I need to follow for flashing from AOSP?

Also, how do I go about restoring backups between TW and AOSP?

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 24, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

M3 still slows my gnex down to pathetic levels, my friend's AT&T S2 variant goes faster :psyduck:

I'm really considering switching back to stock, something somewhere in my phone is killing performance and it's just frustrating.

big mean giraffe posted:

That's odd, I've been on m3 for a while and it's been much snappier than the previous few nightlies I used.
I have to agree with bmg here, the M3 is the snappiest my phone has been under 4.2. You've got to have an app that's doing this.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

UncleGuito posted:

I'm thinking about switching from CM to a Touchwiz-based ROM- is there any special process I need to follow for flashing from AOSP?

Also, how do I go about restoring backups between TW and AOSP?

It depends on how you flash back to Touchwiz. Assuming you don't use the factory flash (exe downloaded from samsungs site), you just use your recovery to flash between the two. Procedure is identical as switching between AOSP roms. The recovery is independent, assuming you don't overwrite it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

I have to agree with bmg here, the M3 is the snappiest my phone has been under 4.2. You've got to have an app that's doing this.

Before I start randomly uninstalling apps (is there an app that allows me to see the system resources taken up by any specific app?), I just want to know: did you do a clean install, and what kernel are you using?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

Before I start randomly uninstalling apps (is there an app that allows me to see the system resources taken up by any specific app?), I just want to know: did you do a clean install, and what kernel are you using?

Stock, no wipe flash from another nightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
An update for anyone who has been unlucky enough to suffer the random reboots on cm10.1 d2vzw builds: Invisiblek from xda has an unofficial build that has so far fixed the problem for me. I imagine it will be merged in the official builds soon but you can find it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40662598&postcount=1447