Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I just love that every promo back then had the word "rear end" in it to make sure the show was as edgy as possible. Like, if you didn't have PG-13 language in every promo it was a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
On the topic of profanity, I went to a Raw taping in 1998 and one of the Harris brothers said "poo poo".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I just love that every promo back then had the word "rear end" in it to make sure the show was as edgy as possible. Like, if you didn't have PG-13 language in every promo it was a failure.

As someone who was bothered by the use of the phrase "kick your butt" I appreciated this, and it is a wonder I was a WCW fan during the period.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

MassRanTer posted:

As someone who was bothered by the use of the phrase "kick your butt" I appreciated this, and it is a wonder I was a WCW fan during the period.

I remember Flair saying rear end quite a bit during his feud with Arn Anderson back in 95, really fed into that whole blood feud concept.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Who can forget Tony Schiavone's comment when Hogan turned at Bash 96, "Everyone out of the dressing room to kick his rear end!"

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 20, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Cromulent posted:

Who can forget Tony Schiavone's comment when Hogan turned at Bash 96, "Everyone out of the dressing room to kick his rear end!"

The only way it could have been any less edgy would be if he'd said "Get everyone out of the dressing room right now and kick Hogan's patootie!" <:mad:>

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I always liked that Tony was sort of a dweeb, so long as he had someone there to play off it like Heenan.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I thought Tony usually went out of his way not to curse, which gave him telling Hogan to go straight to hell even more impact.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I always wondered if Heenan ever got heat for spoiling it 10 seconds before Hogan turned. WWE edits it out of every replay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Krauser posted:

I always wondered if Heenan ever got heat for spoiling it 10 seconds before Hogan turned. WWE edits it out of every replay.

How could he spoil it when he had no idea? The only person who knew was Tony. He was just being Bobby - an rear end in a top hat towards Hogan.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

^ :argh:

Jack Krauser posted:

Hall and Nash were pretty miffed with him for that. Didn't bother me much, though, considering Heenan and Hogan's storyline history.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Jack Krauser posted:

What did Heenan do?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

iLikeMidgets posted:

What did Heenan do?

While the rest of the commentators cheered that Hogan was there to save the day, Heenan kept yelling "Who's side is he on? WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON?!?!" As Schiavone kept screaming at him to shut up.

Personally I alsways saw it as Bobby just playing up his dislike of Hogan as opposed to spoiling the turn.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

bobkatt013 posted:

How could he spoil it when he had no idea? The only person who knew was Tony. He was just being Bobby - an rear end in a top hat towards Hogan.

Yeah I guess. You've got Dusty responding going "What are youuu talkin bout?" that supports that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm pretty sure that call gets brought up on the Bobby Heenan DVD. Heenan even says he hosed up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Q_res posted:

I'm pretty sure that call gets brought up on the Bobby Heenan DVD. Heenan even says he hosed up.

It makes no sense to blame bobby if he didn't know . Maybe in a huge main event angle you should let your commentators know what the gently caress is going on so they can effectively tell the story.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

One of my favorite bits of lovely WCW commentary was (I think) Hak and Bigelow absolutely loving waffling each other with trash cans, and Tony being all "lol they sound great but don't really hurt that bad"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Just re-read Death of WCW and all the announcing screw ups are hilarious.

Tank pulling a knife on Big Al and threatening to kill him was covered by Shiavone yelling about Tank going to cut his beard. Big Al didn't have a beard.

Someone holding a private conversation between "You, Me and 5,000 people" (meaning the viewing audience essentially saying that only 5,000 people were watching the show) and that was covered by Shiavone saying he meant 5k per household.

Title changed occurring and the announcers calling them gently caress ups because they weren't informed of the title change ahead of time.

Heenan calling Flair a drunk because he showed up after getting his rear end beat by the nWo in a field in bad shape. They didn't show the announcers the video of the beating.

My favorite is the announcers wigging at the whole "scissors" comment even though ten people watching the show had a clue what it was about. As well as Heenan laughing hysterically throughout a 5 minute Hacksaw match because Tony called Hacksaw "intelligent." But that was brilliant and not a gently caress up.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why did Bobby hate Tony so much? I mean Tony's a poo poo but man

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Tony was a shithead, is the short answer. His contempt for Heenan wanting to honor Gorilla Monsoon is a favorite example, but that was later in his tenure and I am positive there are more examples that our resident historians can cite.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Why did Bobby hate Tony so much? I mean Tony's a poo poo but man

Lets just say when Gorilla died Bobby had to fight to be able to mention it on tv. Then we they did allow it Tony acted like Gorilla was his best friend. Tony was also super paranoid and saw Bobby as a threat to his spot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tony Schiavone was a company guy that wouldn't give a single inch to WWF or ECW.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

After being passed over for promotion Tony became one of the most petty assholes in the business who did everything to protect his spot

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets just say when Gorilla died Bobby had to fight to be able to mention it on tv. Then we they did allow it Tony acted like Gorilla was his best friend. Tony was also super paranoid and saw Bobby as a threat to his spot.

Tony pretending he loved Monsoon doesn't really bother me because what's he supposed to do, tell everybody he never liked him? I'll take that over Larry Z refusing to break kayfabe and talking trash about Louie Spicoli after he died.

It should have never been an issue in the first place though, I agree.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 22, 2013

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Tony was blatantly antagonistic on air with Heenan all the drat time, and not in a face bickering with a heel kinda way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

oatgan posted:

After being passed over for promotion Tony became one of the most petty assholes in the business who did everything to protect his spot

Tony pretending he loved Monsoon doesn't really bother me because what's he supposed to do, tell everybody he never liked him? I'll take that over Larry Z refusing to break kayfabe and talking trash about Louie Spicoli after he died.

It should have never been an issue in the first place though, I agree.

It was more how you found out the fight backstage to get it on air, plus he spoke more then Bobby.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Heenan also said that Schiavone would find out a piece of info (about anything, but usually angles) and either jealously guard it to make himself look more important when he revealed it; or else he'd lord it over Heenan and whoever else they were working with, in a "I know something that you don't know :smug:" manner.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

An incomplete list of people who Tony hated:

Anyone who made it in the WWF, as he did not. Jessie Ventura for making him look like a fool on his big opportunity calling Summerslam. Gorrilla Monsoon for being his boss at WWF and conspiring to fire him. Jim Ross for being his superior at WCW and always getting the plum jobs. Bobby Heenan for being friends with Gorrilla and being better at commentary than him. Eric Bischoff for out politicing him and becoming his boss. JJ Dillon for ignoring his phone calls when he tried to jump ship to the WWF in the early 90's. Mike Tenay for doing homework and generally being a nerd. Eddie Guerrero for standing up to Eric backstage when he didn't. Paul Heyman for being JR's prefered co-host on WCW Sat Night. Jim Cornette for being JR's best friend. JR again for becoming beloved by the fans. Vince McMahon for firing him.

Oh and Hulk Hogan for turning his back on WCW (and more importantly attempting to get him replaced as commentator).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Anyone who made it in the WWF, as he did not. Jessie Ventura for making him look like a fool on his big opportunity calling Summerslam. Gorrilla Monsoon for being his boss at WWF and conspiring to fire him. Jim Ross for being his superior at WCW and always getting the plum jobs. Bobby Heenan for being friends with Gorrilla and being better at commentary than him. Eric Bischoff for out politicing him and becoming his boss. JJ Dillon for ignoring his phone calls when he tried to jump ship to the WWF in the early 90's. Mike Tenay for doing homework and generally being a nerd. Eddie Guerrero for standing up to Eric backstage when he didn't. Paul Heyman for being JR's prefered co-host on WCW Sat Night. Jim Cornette for being JR's best friend. JR again for becoming beloved by the fans. Vince McMahon for firing him.

Oh and Hulk Hogan for turning his back on WCW (and more importantly attempting to get him replaced as commentator).

Can you make a list of people who Tony liked?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

bobkatt013 posted:

Mark Madden, for being a worse commentator than he is.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bobkatt013 posted:

Mick Foley. Literally the only guy to ever say "I'm friends with Tony Schiavone." Oh and his family I guess. Though when he finished up with WCW he did go on a rant about how much he hated not being on the road because it meant he had to spend more time with his wife.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Skinty McEdger posted:

Jessie Ventura for making him look like a fool on his big opportunity calling Summerslam.

What happened here?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

oatgan posted:

I'll take that over Larry Z refusing to break kayfabe and talking trash about Louie Spicoli after he died.

Seriously, that was such a moment of what the gently caress. They're all giving condolences to Spicoli's family or whatever, then Larry mutters something like "I could say something nice, but in the interest of being honest, I'll pass". The hell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

bobkatt013 posted:

I would think Jim and David Crockett (from the JCP-era NWA days) would probably be on that list, but who really knows for sure.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

What happened here?

I can't remember the match exactly, but two guys are on the outside of the ring and the babyface hits the heel with a chair. Tony starts saying that its perfectly legal because it's outside of the ring and Jessie incredulously starts ripping into him for how stupid that is. "So if I got a gun and shot him outside of the ring that would be perfectly legal?" Jessie then spends the rest of the night making comments everytime the action spills out of the ring as Tony gets more and more annoyed and flustered.

As a result Tony gets less plum roles in the company for the next 6 months until he gets one more shot at play by play at the rumble. He stinks it up again and gets released.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Since Madden was mentioned, now that I think back, Tony seemed to really get along with him on commentary. Like, he would fake guffaw at almost everything Madden would say, all of it dumb and unfunny, while always trying to browbeat Heenan when they did commentary together. I can definitely see the Madden and Schiavone yucking it up backstage and thinking they're the smartest guys in the room.

One other thing to note: Mongo tweeted (yes he has a Twitter) that he hated working with Tony on commentary.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What has Scott Hudson been up to over the last decade?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Since Madden was mentioned, now that I think back, Tony seemed to really get along with him on commentary. Like, he would fake guffaw at almost everything Madden would say, all of it dumb and unfunny, while always trying to browbeat Heenan when they did commentary together. I can definitely see the Madden and Schiavone yucking it up backstage and thinking they're the smartest guys in the room.

Truly they were the Heenan/Monsoon of their era

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

oatgan posted:

What has Scott Hudson been up to over the last decade?

He commentated for Ring of Glory, had a brief stint in TNA and now works in the criminal justice system.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Not so much "now" as he has been working as a criminal investigator for the federal government since 1994. He has a couple of criminal justice degrees even!

I hope he's doing well, I always liked Scott Hudson in WCW. Him and Jeremy Borash were fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I belive Tony was doing Play By Play for the Richmond Braves the last I heard of him.