Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Xenomorph posted:

What's your PayPal address? I had to tweak it a bit, but I just used this to backup all our configs.

No need to, most of these Expect examples are easy to find. To build on the script above, I would create a cronjob on a system that runs this script daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Man don't buy Lantronix.

"Hey ZZZ, I did a factory reset on that Lantronix thing and now it works great! Thanks for whatever you did!"

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I was in a rush at a branch today when trying this, so i quickly abandoned the idea and moved on, but i wanted to know if it was possible. I was trying to build a layer bridge of a single serial t1 interface to a single ethernet interface, so I could effectively have my ethernet only router routing directly on an MPLS network. Is it possible? I ended up just sticking another layer 3 network in between, but cisco's website made it seem as though it was as easy as

int serial 0/0
bridge-group 1

int fa0/0
bridge-group 1

Obviously since i am posting this, it was not that easy.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sure you can do that. You need some stuff in the global config as well, and maybe an IP interface for it.
code:
bridge irb

bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip

int bvi1
 ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Why does going network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 work for sharing routes in a hurry in OSPF but not EIGRP?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
What is Cisco replacing their 4500 with? I need a 6500/7600 style core piece of hardware with redundant SUP that I can aggregate DIA connections on and get them off of our Core network.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

falz posted:

Sure you can do that. You need some stuff in the global config as well, and maybe an IP interface for it.
code:
bridge irb

bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip

int bvi1
 ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

I've set up a few of these for a shared SES circuit, usually we only needed

bridge irb
bridge # protocol ieee
and the bridge group # under the interface

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What is Cisco replacing their 4500 with? I need a 6500/7600 style core piece of hardware with redundant SUP that I can aggregate DIA connections on and get them off of our Core network.

afaik 4500 isn't going away anytime soon, in fact it will be replacing the 6500 for most voice/user access applications. If you don't need any of the "exotic" interfaces, then stacked switches are the way to go.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Are you looking to replace the 4500 because it won't take a full table? What type of interfaces do you need and how many?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Basically we have several 6500s as our Core routers. We have individual 3750s setup with trunks to ATT transport and our own various transport networks that are cabled to individual interfaces with the customer's IP. the 3750s are used to encapsulate this traffic in a vlan.

I want to completely isolate our DIA customers that are less than 100mbit, do not require BGP, etc. I figured a stacked situation may be the best bet but wanted to ask. I originally thought about going with a 4500 but our resaler poo poo'd it for me and my boss by pointing out their EOL.

Was hoping for something with multiple SUP cards for some extra fault tolerance since reliability and redundancy are big bullet points for my boss.

I'll need > 100 interfaces to start with, for sure.

A stack of 4 3750x's will provide power redundancy for me and barring a major catastrophe, should provide enough redundancy in general.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Basically we have several 6500s as our Core routers. We have individual 3750s setup with trunks to ATT transport and our own various transport networks that are cabled to individual interfaces with the customer's IP. the 3750s are used to encapsulate this traffic in a vlan.

I want to completely isolate our DIA customers that are less than 100mbit, do not require BGP, etc. I figured a stacked situation may be the best bet but wanted to ask. I originally thought about going with a 4500 but our resaler poo poo'd it for me and my boss by pointing out their EOL.

Uhm, go for a 4500 with Sup7 or Sup7LE depending on your routing table / uplink requirements. They are definitely not EOL and perform at 48gbps per slot.

Edit: A 4500 will usually be cheaper than doing more than 3 or 4 3750Xs in a stack. And you get VSS on them these days!

ior fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 12, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Cisco's site says their EoL/EoS. :(

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Make sure you are looking at the "E" chassis.

Also whenever you look at EoL cisco hardware there is almost always an upgrade path that will be mentioned in the same announcement.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Great! I'll look into a 4500E! TY!

Quick related question.

An SVI with an IP will be up/up and the switch will route that IP/range if there is a trunk that is up/up and carrying that vlan, correct?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Great! I'll look into a 4500E! TY!

Quick related question.

An SVI with an IP will be up/up and the switch will route that IP/range if there is a trunk that is up/up and carrying that vlan, correct?

Yes, or you can do "no autostate enable" on the SVI to make it permanently up/up.

ior fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 12, 2013

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?
doublepost

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Thanks a bunch ladies/fellas!

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Make sure you are looking at the "E" chassis.

Also whenever you look at EoL cisco hardware there is almost always an upgrade path that will be mentioned in the same announcement.

I did a quick check and it looks like they recently announced EoL for the R-E chassis' and replaced them with R+E chassis' with the original non E chassis' being announced EoL several years ago.

The R chassis' are the ones that take redundant supervisors.

Here's the announcements for if your resaler continues to push back:
End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Non-E-Series Chassis
End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Select Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Chassis

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I had read that the new CCNA wasn't to be rolled out until October. Pearson VUE only has CCNA 803 as a choice when I went to purchase a test just now. 200-120 is the test code.

Any ideas on if this rolled out early?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Both exams are available--this is a transition period. The old exam is listed under "Cisco Certified Network Associate."

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I had read that the new CCNA wasn't to be rolled out until October. Pearson VUE only has CCNA 803 as a choice when I went to purchase a test just now. 200-120 is the test code.

Any ideas on if this rolled out early?

From the releases I've seen, you should be able to take the old icnd1/2 tests until Sept 30th. I'll hit up my buddy at pearson vue to check the backend info because I need to take my icnd2 before they change it up.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Some genius at Pearson VUE thought that 8am Monday morning was an apt time to upgrade their scheduling software and, thus, was not providing correct information. I should be able to schedule the 802 test later today or tomorrow.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I'm installing CSACS 5.3 in one of our networks that isn't running any version of ACS yet. I've had no problem getting 4.2 to work before, but for some reason I cannot get it to allow me into privileged/exec mode. It just keeps coming back with authentication failed each time; I've tried updating the command sets, shell profiles, and triple-checked the service selection rules and default access policies.

Any ideas?

e: I'm using TACACS
e2: Apparently acquisitions didn't purchase a support contract to go with this. Sigh.

e3: Figured it out. Under the shell profile, you have to actually go in and set "Maximum privilege level" to Static and then elevate it to 15. For some reason, 5.3 treats "Not in use" as an implicit deny of all privilege escalations.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 16, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Just dropped another 300 to take my CCNA for the second time.

Anything I should really really look into? Got the 640-802 test, btw. Just gonna spew a few things out that I know I need to have in mind. Please correct or extrapolate on anything.

VLAN Pruning on the server basically restricts broadcasts and the like to their own VLAN, correct? Broadcasts on vlan 4 or whatever won't also broadcast out to Vlan 5? etc?

ios software - flash
saved config - nvram
running config - ram
rommon/bootstrap/etc - rom

224.0.0.1 - All Hosts
224.0.0.2 - All Routers
224.0.0.5 - OSPF All Routers
224.0.0.6 - OSPF All DR Routers
224.0.0.9 - RIP
224.0.0.10 - EIGRP

FECN - WAN router sees congestion sent from far device and tells it to chill out
BECN - WAN router sees congestion from local device and tells it to chill out

0x2142 - Ignores startup config in NVRAM and boots clean config
0x2102 - Default, boots directly into saved config if available
0x2101 - Same as above but boots into rom mon first(?)

STP default priority - 32768

STP Priority calculated in 4096 increments, lowest priority takes precedence. If all bridges share same priority then lowest MAC address. Isn't there a situation where the priority number has a 1 added to it? I've seen questions before where the default priory was 32769 because of somethign to do with the MAC address?

ibss - ad hoc wireless between two devices, no WAP
bss - single wap/ssid
ess - multiple waps/ssids

802.1q - trunking protocol
802.1d - STP
802.1w - RSTP

Root bridge has all designated ports, blocks the port it receives STP updates on, sets port to Root for port that gets back to root bridge quickest, and sets all others it forwards out BDPUs as designated?

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

STP Priority calculated in 4096 increments, lowest priority takes precedence. If all bridges share same priority then lowest MAC address. Isn't there a situation where the priority number has a 1 added to it? I've seen questions before where the default priory was 32769 because of somethign to do with the MAC address?
Per Cisco:

"When the extended system ID is enabled, the root bridge priority becomes a multiple of 4096 plus the VLAN ID."

So if you see 32769, that number is taking the bridge priority of 32768 + VLAN 1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/spantree.html#wp1020362

Bluecobra fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

VLAN Pruning on the server basically restricts broadcasts and the like to their own VLAN, correct? Broadcasts on vlan 4 or whatever won't also broadcast out to Vlan 5? etc?

0x2142 - Ignores startup config in NVRAM and boots clean config
0x2102 - Default, boots directly into saved config if available
0x2101 - Same as above but boots into rom mon first(?)

You are confused about some stuff here. VLAN Pruning in VTP Server mode (where you have a server switch with clients) will actually automatically prune vlans from being extended to unneeded ports. If you have 3 switches and 3 vlans and the Root switch for all vlan is on one end. If the other end of the switch chain doesn't have any ports in a specific vlan then the trunk to that switch will not carry that vlan at all.

Pruning without VTP running (transparent mode) does the same thing, but it is manual, i.e. the Network admin must prune unneeded vlans at all trunks.

e.g.
switchport mode trunk
switchport allowed vlans 1,150,250

Broadcasts by default are segregated by VLAN, remember the only way VLANs talk to each other is through a router.

As for the configuration registers:
http://www.sinclair.org.au/keith/cisco/cisco_configuration_registers.html

But in practice I only ever use 0x0 (go to ROMMON) 0x2102 (normal boot) 0x2142 (boot, ignore startup config).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
From Feb 9, 2013

ior posted:

You only want to upgrade the software on your controller, the access points automatically downloads their code from there when they connect.
Look for:
AIR-CT2500-K9-1-8-0-0-FUS.aes (firmware upgrade)
and
AIR-CT2500-K9-7-4-100-0.aes (controller software)

Both these should be installed on the controller. Make sure you read the release notes as the firmware upgrades takes a long time (30-45 minutes) and potentially bricks the unit if you abort it.

Release notes here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_1_8_0_0.html
and here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn74.html
I'm finally doing it tomorrow morning, i've notified the users that the wifi will be gone for 1-2 hours, tftp:d configfiles and logs and everything i could from the WLC and connected an old laptop to the console of the WLC. I figured i could keep putty running there to catch all console-output as the unit boots.

We'll se how it goes, i'm used to consumer-type stuff (ZyXEL)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The controller firmware will be the longest part, but if you want to get fancy and you're not afraid to use the CLI, you can preload the image on your APs. This means when your controller boots up the new software, your APs reset and it's done.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

bort posted:

The controller firmware will be the longest part, but if you want to get fancy and you're not afraid to use the CLI, you can preload the image on your APs. This means when your controller boots up the new software, your APs reset and it's done.
I didn't preload but everything went well, took ~50 minutes and seems to have helped my problematic ap that kept crashing every 1-2 hours.

Thank you both for the help

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

BelDin posted:

Just got to the thread. 'Sup Ironport buddy? :)

Did your manager freak out about the notifications regarding the inability to contact update servers and call you at home as well?

No, we both scratched our heads about weird error emails being sent from the Ironport but shrugged it off as it was working by the time we looked at it. 4 days later we got that email from Cisco and both had a good laugh.

Red Stripe
Oct 2, 2003

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Before I get into any of this I'll say that I'm not well equipped to be configuring Cisco APs as I haven't even started my CCNA stuff yet, but was told to do so anyway by my boss.

I have three Aironet 1140 APs all broadcasting the same SSIDs (one 2.4ghz and one 5ghz). One in the basement (Channels 11/161), main floor (Channels 6/149), and upper floor (Channels 1/36).

I'm getting reports from the basement of a spotty connection. Random drops, etc. Also it seems that android devices are unable to connect. I've tried tinkering around with the security protocols and antennae strength but nothing seems to be helping. Would one of you kind souls be able to look at my config file and tell me what I did wrong?

I guess I should mention that these APs came set up as lightweight, so I had to flash firmware 15.2(2).JB on there.

Here's my config, it's pretty much the same on all three devices except for the channels and device names.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88636140/config.txt

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
I know for our WLC based configs we always remove the lowest speed settings as many devices will attempt to connect when they're barely in range resulting in a terrible experience for the end user. I don't actually know what the config settings are for that (do you just remove the basic-1.0 or the mX. settings at the end too?) but I'd try that. Most likely you actually need more APs, a basement setting in my mind is lots of concrete reinforced walls meaning bad times in wireless land.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have no input into your situation, but just wanted to say that unless they added it to the new tests, the CCNA doesn't cover jack with regards to actual Cisco wifi hardware setup. Only a mile-high overview of wifi in general.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
The updated ICND1 and CCNA:Wireless exam combo might be a good start for someone in his position.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Contingency posted:

ICND1 and CCNA:Wireless exam combo

What's the exam number for this?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
640-722 IUWNE and 100-101 ICND1 for CCNA:Wireless. You could take the old ICND1 exam and still get it, but this may be short sighted if you plan to get your CCNA anyway.

Red Stripe
Oct 2, 2003

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Just tried removing the lower speed settings so we'll see how it goes. I doubt we need another AP because that basement is tiny as heck and it seems like the signal is good wherever I am. Also thanks for the exam info guys, I'll definitely be looking into that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does anyone have expirence with the SG-300's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150087
I am looking to spend a bit and get a full VMware lab going (less to no virtual on virtual). Wondering if anyone as experiences with them. They seem to be really good for the price. Probably going to buy two and hook them up to a 1841. Trying to keep costs down.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
They're junk. I've seen a few in the field that locked up, bricked, lost configurations, etc. They're also a right pain in the rear end to configure compared to a normal Catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Hitting OSPF hard in preparation for my test next Thursday.

So if the process ID has nothing to do with DR election, nothing to do with the router ID, and is only significant to the router it's on and can be duplicated on other routers, then what does it do exactly? What is it significant to?