Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
:siren: League of Evil 2 just went free :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

:siren: League of Evil 2 just went free. :siren:

Edit: Beaten. But seriously, pick this one up, it's a good platformer and a good example of virtual buttons.

v :cry:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

^^ SUCKER

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

gallilee posted:

Anyone else playing Golf star? Add me as a friend and let's have a round. Name's Gallilee.

I'm playing too. It's pretty goddamn entertaining. I just wish I could figure out how to play my friend. It's got online, but if you choose 1:1 it pairs you with a random. If you go to Friend tournament, it wants you to put 5 people in the game or it won't start.

I just don't get it.

I'll add you and triplexpac.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Bummey posted:

Apple is wildly inconsistent with what they will and won't allow on the store. AppShopper's reason for being pulled was that it promoted other apps. That's it. Of course, the zillions of apps with tapjoy support, not to mention Touch Arcade's AppShopper for Games, remain unmolested. Who knows?

Ah, Well I'm really glad apple's app policy is still extremely cool and logical instead of retarded, personally.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Beef Assistant posted:

Ah, Well I'm really glad apple's app policy is still extremely cool and logical instead of retarded, personally.

Like when Shalinor's game got rejected twice for trivial bullshit and the hundreds of POKEMON YELLOW slot machine scam apps get through and live on the top charts for weeks. Or the tethering / emulator apps that get pulled ten minutes after they pop up on the store.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

oblomov posted:

Well, yeah, that would be somewhat palatable. For music rhythm game, I think Hatsune Miku is a better bet:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miku-flick/id503098602?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miku-flick-02/id543121231?mt=8

Cheaper, better, more songs, cheaper DLCs.
Ugh, I like Project Diva and rhythm games but Miku Flick didn't appeal to me at all. Huge filesize and the gameplay is so niche (Japanese cellphone alphabet texting) as to be annoying to learn to play.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Maybe next fake scam pokemon will be the real deal, and everyone will feel so dumb for insulting apple's intelligent rear end app moderation system, which, again, is really cool and definitely not hosed up at all.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

Beef Assistant posted:

Maybe next fake scam pokemon will be the real deal, and everyone will feel so dumb for insulting apple's intelligent rear end app moderation system, which, again, is really cool and definitely not hosed up at all.

It is totally cool. They helped me understand how violent my game of cartoon goblins shooting cannons at machines actually was. Now I cry and the monster I created.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
*Check out these other 5 lovely games that we make* - full screen popup when I open many apps. That poo poo is somehow fine, but appshopper isn't?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

iron_weasel posted:

It is totally cool. They helped me understand how violent my game of cartoon goblins shooting cannons at machines actually was. Now I cry and the monster I created.
I for one learned to love and embrace the giant "Restore Purchases" button that didn't really fit with the rest of the store interface.

... though I'm pretty sure that was a fuckup on someone's part in their review team / the problem was different. I think they flat out didn't see the menu button, which was admittedly small. I bet if my menu button had been bigger by then, I'd only have gotten one rejection - but instead, 2, and then I made the menu button bigger AND added the extra silly button all at once. I just couldn't stomach the thought of a third rejection, so I covered all my bases.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh, I like Project Diva and rhythm games but Miku Flick didn't appeal to me at all. Huge filesize and the gameplay is so niche (Japanese cellphone alphabet texting) as to be annoying to learn to play.

You can turn off Japanese alphabet so it just shows romaji. It's very easy to pick up actually. File size is franking huge though, but there is a decent amount of content and video quality is pretty good. Diva f wouldn't work well with touchscreen since there are too many buttons.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

JazzFlight posted:

Don't lose your old one, it has features that were cut for the Social version:
http://gigaom.com/2013/04/22/appshopper-returns-to-ios-app-store-with-more-social-approach/

So, you're losing What's New, Popular, and Top 200. I use What's New on Wednesday nights to find new games and Popular all the time to see the latest drops to free on apps that I haven't Wishlisted yet. I can't lose those features...

In the new AppShopper app, if you add "appshopper" as a friend, you're essentially adding the old Popular tab to your Stream.

Here's what they look like side by side: Old AppShopper vs. New AppShopper

But do note that if you add other people as friends it will muddy up the Steam tab with apps they have on their wishlist.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So Rigonauts is super fun but when ever I get to mission to 2-1it crashes. I tried the whole restart thing but it still happens. Any ideas?

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Bummey posted:

Apple is wildly inconsistent with what they will and won't allow on the store. AppShopper's reason for being pulled was that it promoted other apps. That's it. Of course, the zillions of apps with tapjoy support, not to mention Touch Arcade's AppShopper for Games, remain unmolested. Who knows?

I believe Apple's reason was that it looks too similar to the App Store and can confuse customers. Which is a load of BS of course.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bummey posted:

It wasn't that it promoted other apps but that Apple didn't want there to be any 'alternate' app stores. Which it wasn't, but they pulled it anyways. I guess TouchArcade managed to convince someone that since it still linked to the real store it was ok - again, still inconsistent.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Apple is upset that someone made their pile of trash useable? It's merely a portal to the appstore and it exists solely out of necessity - the appstore is a giant turd on a stick and we NEED alternate ways of finding worthwhile apps.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

bunnielab posted:

So Rigonauts is super fun but when ever I get to mission to 2-1it crashes. I tried the whole restart thing but it still happens. Any ideas?

We pushed the fix last week. However, it got held up because apple and I had a fight as to the correct violence rating of the game. Today Apple told me to suck it so I capitulated. We are waiting for their final approval then you should get the fix.

Because your save might be corrupt I recommend trying to load the level twice more after the update. Then things will work. You can also hassle me at tech@engient.com

I am glad you enjoyed it so far. I think the update will solve your troubles.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Mozi posted:

It wasn't that it promoted other apps but that Apple didn't want there to be any 'alternate' app stores. Which it wasn't, but they pulled it anyways. I guess TouchArcade managed to convince someone that since it still linked to the real store it was ok - again, still inconsistent.

Haha that's cool...There's an app that's helping people find what they want on our store---delete it ! !

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Despite the simplistic game play, I've found myself unable to put halfbrick's Fish Out Of Water down. The mini-missions keep me coming back like a junkie for one more hit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

iron_weasel posted:

We pushed the fix last week. However, it got held up because apple and I had a fight as to the correct violence rating of the game. Today Apple told me to suck it so I capitulated. We are waiting for their final approval then you should get the fix.

Because your save might be corrupt I recommend trying to load the level twice more after the update. Then things will work. You can also hassle me at tech@engient.com

I am glad you enjoyed it so far. I think the update will solve your troubles.

Cool, thanks for the help. Can't wait for the update.

I really am enjoying the hell out of it. I do have a question, what determines when my little war wagon stops moving forward? Some times it seems to stop out of range of my flame gun things.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

oblomov posted:

So for the low, low, low price of $165 (plus DLC) you can have the full (well, no, just the rhythm game) IDOLM@STER experience! Well done, SCAMCO. :) Wonder how many people will bite on this one. Huh, and you thought SquareEnix was insane with their pricing....

I like how all of the games are like 2 gigs to install, possibly more blown up and the descriptions give the impression that you'll be able to download more poo poo to it. You'd more or less have to dedicate an entire device to get the full Idolmaster experience.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So, Arranger is cool and all but the controls are absolutely horrid and I can't get over that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

The Rokstar posted:

So, Arranger is cool and all but the controls are absolutely horrid and I can't get over that.
It's worth it, there's a lot of neat stuff to see.

... but yeah, some of the minigames control miserably. I'm not sure I could have passed the "fall down the throat" one on an iPhone - even on an iPad, my thumb covered up the entirety of my character.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Shalinor posted:

It's worth it, there's a lot of neat stuff to see.

... but yeah, some of the minigames control miserably. I'm not sure I could have passed the "fall down the throat" one on an iPhone - even on an iPad, my thumb covered up the entirety of my character.

I just finished the whole game on an iphone, had no trouble with the throat bit at all. The bits that sucked was the happyland king song arrangement with the slowing cloud and unhappy face blocking all your shots. In fact all the arrangements were hard because you had your hand covering up your character and most of the instruments were so short ranged you had to be up in the brains face all the time and couldn't see what you were meant to be dodging. Still a fun game though.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
So what have you guys been playing the past month or 2?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

KarmaticStylee posted:

Block Fortress, Bug Heroes, The Quest, Helsing's Fire, Sword and Poker, Vanguard Storm, GeoDefense, and Kingdom Rush. Currently hating on the second two because I'm bad at tower defense.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

KarmaticStylee posted:

Final Fantasy 5, Slayin, QuestLord.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Street and Beastie Bay.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

KarmaticStylee posted:

An embarrassing amount of of Solforge. I'm very close to buying a deck of fake cards.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Ascension, New World Colony, Real Racing 3, Super Hexagon, and The Curse

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

JGTheSpy posted:

An embarrassing amount of of Solforge. I'm very close to buying a deck of fake cards.

Me too, I keep criticizing a lot of the game design and balance decisions but it's solid enough to keep me coming back. I'm holding off on putting money into it until we see the full release.

JERFit posted:

New World Colony

And this game, holy poo poo it's so good. Best board game on the iPad in my opinion. Also, real time mode is hilariously fun multiplayer in person with a friend or two. It gets hectic fast.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I'm currently addicted to Defenders of Texel (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535018), but still find time for my old habit of Dragonvale. Other than those two timewasters, Slayin was a lot of fun and I'm still working through Pixel Defenders Puzzle which is like TripleTown but less infuriating.

edit: if we're going for the last couple months, Ridiculous Fishing was a thing, and the Puzzle Craft update sucked me in again but I finished the new castle so all is well in the world again.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Original_Z posted:

Final Fantasy 5, Slayin, QuestLord.

Ff5 worth the cash? One of my favourites but I'm kind of on the fence about paying out again for a high res version.

As for me: Gemini Rue, SpellTower, Myst.
More recently: Nightsky, World Ends With You and just started on Hiversaires

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There's a new interesting free game apparently out called "Hope: the other side of adventure", which says it's not available in the store when I try to get it.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/19/totally-free-experimental-game-hope-the-other-side-of-adventure-tells-the-tale-of-a-captured-princess/

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't been playing many games recently; mostly Nimble Quest and Ridiculous Fishing. Turns out I'm terrible at both. I can beat Castle 1 on NQ, but can't get past that because I am bad at the game and lazy. Eh. I need a new game, and have been saved from Solforge because I game on an iPod touch, not an iPad.

(You have no idea how much Ascension I've played. Thank god I don't either)

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

KarmaticStylee posted:

I've spent a TON of time on Block Fortress since it came out and I'm still not bored of it. However when I'm in the rare mood for something different I keep going back to Starbase Orion, Bug Heroes/Bug Heroes Quest, and Star Traders (which I've barely scratched the surface of).

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mozi posted:

It was my understanding that Apple drew a line between those two apps based on their assessment that App Shopper was duplicating most of the functions of the official app store without offering enough in the way of unique features/value. TouchArcade, on the other hand, had a clear, more specialized focus, and--perhaps more importantly--offered articles and reviews and other original content.

IIRC, it was pretty similar to their explanation about why they originally killed the Skype app when it first came out. [Or was it Google Voice? It's been a while.]

(I do not agree at all with this horseshit explanation; it just stands out in my memory.)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 23, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that sounds about right. Funny that one might argue that a unique feature of the AppShopper apps was being able to actually find things, as opposed to Apple's store where you can search the exact title of an app and have it not show up sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been playing the poo poo out of Puzzle And Dragon and haven't actually hit a paywall at all surprisingly. Once you realize the game is sort of an RPG and doesn't expect you to beat newly unlocked levels right away unless you actually edit your team it makes more sense. Sometimes you're supposed to be going into older levels and ranking up, sometimes you putting common monsters you've been throwing away in your team because they actually have useful abilities.

Paying for the IAP just gives you more chances at getting rare monsters, but you can't equip more than 1 for a long time so it's not a big deal anyway.

• Locked thread