Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
About freaking time someone said the emperor has no clothes.

I'm guessing that the Boeing execs had an extra round of Coke and Hookers upon hearing that news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

For the Maddog fans out there, one of the best cockpit videos I have come across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6M9c-Bfes

Also, I LOOOVE 20th century cockpits. Give me knobs, and chunky switches, and rolling numbers, and 7 segment LEDs! :swoon:

As for the f-35: it's teetering, it just needs a teeeny little push.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Seems like the controller in that video is working non-radar approach, tower, and ground control for that airport. That's quite the workload.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's just ridiculous to look at. I also feel terrible for the crew because that poo poo has to be loud as all get out. Plane probably handles a one engine out emergency really well though.

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/cockpit-video-97/landing-an-72-15887.html?action=viewonline

Doesn't actually sound all that loud (for a transport, unfortunately the C-17 has so much more power that it'd be unfair to compare engine noise, and there's no in-cockpit video of the YC-14, just silent-ish external footage) until they hit the reversers.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Hello fellow aerogoons. I'm posting here to see if anyone would like to make a writeup for my Automotive Technology Thread about turbo-compounding engines. I can try to do this myself but I feel like someone here might be able to get a little more technical and historic than I could. The post would be a follow up on how turbo-charging works in which I have already made a writeup. Would anyone feel up to the task?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rcman50166 posted:

Hello fellow aerogoons. I'm posting here to see if anyone would like to make a writeup for my Automotive Technology Thread about turbo-compounding engines. I can try to do this myself but I feel like someone here might be able to get a little more technical and historic than I could. The post would be a follow up on how turbo-charging works in which I have already made a writeup. Would anyone feel up to the task?

You mean parts-recovery turbines?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

MrYenko posted:

You mean parts-recovery turbines?

Yea, but kept in perspective to a reciprocating piston combustion engine. From what I understand (not too much), they were predominantly put in planes. The fact that they make quasi-continuous combustion systems makes for a very interesting topic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I can do the writeup. I'll try to tackle it tonight.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Thanks man. I don't think I could trust anyone else to do a technical write-up more than you. No offense to anyone else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jonny Nox posted:

As for the f-35: it's teetering, it just needs a teeeny little push.

Not for the US services. This thing has been politically driven since day one and politics overrides common sense or military necessity every time.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Godholio posted:

Not for the US services. This thing has been politically driven since day one and politics overrides common sense or military necessity every time.

The best part of the article is a quote by an aerospace anaylist saying "By implying that the contractors are greedy...". Apparently there's people out there (who aren't on LockMart's payroll) who don't think "how much can we overcharge?" has been the business model of US defense contractors for the last 30 years.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

The best part of the article is a quote by an aerospace anaylist saying "By implying that the contractors are greedy...". Apparently there's people out there (who aren't on LockMart's payroll) who don't think "how much can we overcharge?" has been the business model of US defense contractors for the last 30 years.

Not to defend the Corporate Megaconglomerates that currently own most of the US military's procurement contracts, but the blame rests equally on the services themselves, and the politicians that make budgeting decisions.

A: Changing specifications umpteen times during development, and requiring seventeen hundred different tests and standards from each nut and bolt on an airplane or tank does not an affordable program make.
B: Tailoring a procurement program to "produce between one and three hundred new jobs in my district" instead of "produce a high-quality system tailored to the actual needs of our warfighters" is an equally poor decision.

On TOP of those two, the merging of our defense industries into basically three or four companies has eliminated a great deal of competition, thus raising prices even more.

F-35 suffers from all three of these diseases, with a health dash of "take this platform and make it work in three dramatically different environments."

It's a beautiful goddamned clusterfuck, the likes of which the planet has never known.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So I went to the R&D and Presidential hangers at the U.S. Air Force Museum and took a lot of pictures that are really big. What would be the best way to upload them since imgur chokes on them every time.
To wet your appetite for now. Have a XB-70

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

Not to defend the Corporate Megaconglomerates that currently own most of the US military's procurement contracts, but the blame rests equally on the services themselves, and the politicians that make budgeting decisions.

A: Changing specifications umpteen times during development, and requiring seventeen hundred different tests and standards from each nut and bolt on an airplane or tank does not an affordable program make.
B: Tailoring a procurement program to "produce between one and three hundred new jobs in my district" instead of "produce a high-quality system tailored to the actual needs of our warfighters" is an equally poor decision.

On TOP of those two, the merging of our defense industries into basically three or four companies has eliminated a great deal of competition, thus raising prices even more.

F-35 suffers from all three of these diseases, with a health dash of "take this platform and make it work in three dramatically different environments."

It's a beautiful goddamned clusterfuck, the likes of which the planet has never known.

Also it should be pointed out that cost-plus contracts, by their very nature, heavily encourage that kind of profiteering. "You get paid Eleven billion dollars, regardless of whether the program ends up costing ten billion or twelve billion" is much less of an incentive to "find costs" vs "You get paid whatever the program 'costs' plus a profit margin." I understand why they are necessary in R&D programs (especially when you are dealing with R&D for an abortion of a program like the JSF, with expecting it to literally do everything for everyone) because without them no sane company would ever undertake anything close to cutting edge R&D, but there is no excuse for it in programs (like the JSF) that have progressed beyond R&D and are well into procurement.

And the blame for that rests squarely on the government; it all comes back together because a large part of the justification for continuing cost-plus contracts into procurement is because costs continue to grow in the procurement phase...which is due in large part to the points that MrYenko raises. Regardless maintaining a cost-plus contract through LRIP-5 was loving criminal and if this was a just world the individuals who signed that contract for the govt would be rotting away in the same cell that Darleen Druyun got to spend some time in.

Also yeah, the absolute realistic worst case scenario for the JSF with the US is someone within NAVAIR grows a set of balls and curtails (but doesn't cancel) their buy in favor of some more Super Hornets and accelerating UCLASS. The USMC and USAF buys will go ahead as planned. Although I'm going to laugh my rear end off when Boeing wins the ROKAF FX-III contract, since up until about a year ago that was all but a completely lock for LM.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Here's a picture of the YC-14 I took at PIMA in 2008

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Gunbus posted:

So I went to the R&D and Presidential hangers at the U.S. Air Force Museum and took a lot of pictures that are really big. What would be the best way to upload them since imgur chokes on them every time.

Appetite wetted.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I always think the YC-14 looks small, like it's the size of a business jet, because the large size of the engine nacelles relative to the fuselage, but it's powered by CF6's and has an all-up weight similar to the 757.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gunbus posted:

You'd be better off resizing them before hand. Use something like Lightroom or picasa and you should be able to bulk export everything to a folder with a new resolution.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Magugu posted:

One of my Favorite aircraft Is the F-82 Twin Mustang. Take one of the most epic aircraft in history and double it. There is one on static display at Lackland AFB in San Antonio (along with an sr-71).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAd6t_On4rQ

Redundant Warplanes :(

FiendishThingy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 23, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^loving heartbreaking. :(

Mr. Despair posted:

You'd be better off resizing them before hand. Use something like Lightroom or picasa and you should be able to bulk export everything to a folder with a new resolution.

Outlook will do it as well, if you can live with a handful of preset options. Right-click, send to/mail recipient.

What's the deal with that blue F-16?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

What's the deal with that blue F-16?

AFTI.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

0toShifty posted:

Here's a picture of the YC-14 I took at PIMA in 2008

That is an adorable plane :3:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

I like the Fury hanging out in the middle there.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Okay here is the album thanks for the help. If you want high res versions let me know. I also took pictures of the WWII exhibit while I was waiting for the R&D tour to start.
http://imgur.com/a/s3nsZ
Oh and if anybody wants a picture of a particular aircraft in the museum let me know I go all the time and will try to get some pictures of what ever you want.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jonny Nox posted:

For the Maddog fans out there, one of the best cockpit videos I have come across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6M9c-Bfes

He was sure wigging out on that stick around 5:40-ish. I assume that's normal?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

He was sure wigging out on that stick around 5:40-ish. I assume that's normal?

Stirring the stick on short final into tropical islands is normal.

I want the next minute of video. The guys get to the end of the runway and get a "please expedite turnaround, following traffic on four-mile final." Since those chuckleheads went from five-mile to down in about 95 seconds, they've got about 35 seconds on that turnaround to back-taxi and clear the runway. Mugging for the camera time, included.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

Bogdan is the right man for the job.

Related to this, there was a interview with him on tv here.
http://nieuwsuur.nl/video/497318-leider-jsfproject-bezoekt-nederland.html
Starting at 45 seconds in English, where he claims that we will be paying 75m per plane at a fixed price contract.
That sounds a lot more optimistic than things have been progressing so far.
My question to those who have a better sight on these things (iyaayas, godholio?) do you reckon he is being legit, or is it the usual?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Well my wife figured she will be sick of visiting her parents around mid-june, and I'm trying to find her a flight home (Bejing "PEK" to Sudbury "YSB"). I sent her there for $800 and change with a direct flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Beijing with reasonable times arriving and departing, but now all the return flights have layovers in Vancouver, and cost $1,100.

I've been checking out Travelocity, Flight Network, Expedia, Travelcuts, and they are all around the same price. Any tips or tricks to getting her back for under 1k and without the stop in Vancouver?

Also, all fights have to be via MadDogs! (not really)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Gunbus posted:

Okay here is the album thanks for the help. If you want high res versions let me know. I also took pictures of the WWII exhibit while I was waiting for the R&D tour to start.
http://imgur.com/a/s3nsZ
Oh and if anybody wants a picture of a particular aircraft in the museum let me know I go all the time and will try to get some pictures of what ever you want.

Hey man in the future if you don't want to resize the poo poo you upload to imgur, you can append an "l" to the end of a file name, before the extension and it will create a large thumbnail for you while maintaining the full size image in your albums.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was misreading the I in AFTI. Cool.

AlexanderCA posted:

Starting at 45 seconds in English, where he claims that we will be paying 75m per plane at a fixed price contract.
My question to those who have a better sight on these things (iyaayas, godholio?) do you reckon he is being legit, or is it the usual?

My internet is a bitch and that video will take about an hour to load for some reason, but he's in a much better position to know the answer than we are. When you say "we" you mean the Netherlands, right? Because I don't see how the gently caress the US gets into this aircraft for less than double that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 23, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blistex posted:

Well my wife figured she will be sick of visiting her parents around mid-june, and I'm trying to find her a flight home (Bejing "PEK" to Sudbury "YSB"). I sent her there for $800 and change with a direct flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Beijing with reasonable times arriving and departing, but now all the return flights have layovers in Vancouver, and cost $1,100.

I've been checking out Travelocity, Flight Network, Expedia, Travelcuts, and they are all around the same price. Any tips or tricks to getting her back for under 1k and without the stop in Vancouver?

Also, all fights have to be via MadDogs! (not really)

You could try the airline websites themselves. Just had a look and all the AC032 direct PEK-YYZ flights are all around $1100+. YVR layover drops it to $908. Then Megabus from YYZ-YSB!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

AlexanderCA posted:

That is him doing his damndest to save the program in the Netherlands.

The outburst notwithstanding, I have no doubt that Bogdan will be more of the same in managing the program office. So far he's had one public outburst, has said he's going to "lean" out the program office (without reducing manning), and has yet to significantly change estimates on price. poo poo, he just provided an estimate to the Dutch parliament the other day that the F-35 was only going to cost 10% more per flying hour to operate than the F-16. There's no way that's the case, but I guess I should take any increase at all over the pie in the sky eleventy kajillion% lower "estimates" that the previous occupants of his chair were feeding us.

Godholio posted:

My internet is a bitch and that video will take about an hour to load for some reason, but he's in a much better position to know the answer than we are. When you say "we" you mean the Netherlands, right? Because I don't see how the gently caress the US gets into this aircraft for less than double that.

Like I said...

The program's foreign sales program has basically been completely staked on figuring out as low a number as possible that will seem really affordable but not seem too unrealistic, and then defending that number until they have to raise it slightly in the face of facts that they can't manage to spin their way out of, then defending the slightly higher number until they have to raise it slightly again...all the while, the number that is being reflected in the iron that the US is actually acquiring is nowhere near the figure they keep quoting for foreign customers.

Now, if that's due to having the US taxpayer straight out subsidize those jets, fine, but seeing as how no one in the US govt has openly acknowledged that either one of two things is happening: LockMart and the program office are loving liars, or the US taxpayer is subsidizing the purchase of fighter jets for multiple allies without being told they are doing as such (not that it would be the first time the latter has happened.)

FWIW in this Reuters article from last week Bogdan quotes a price of $85M for the Dutch buy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Now, if that's due to having the US taxpayer straight out subsidize those jets, fine, but seeing as how no one in the US govt has openly acknowledged that either one of two things is happening: LockMart and the program office are loving liars, or the US taxpayer is subsidizing the purchase of fighter jets for multiple allies without being told they are doing as such (not that it would be the first time the latter has happened.)

How is there any question the US is subsidizing it? :lol: Congress would probably approve it openly if it came up, just for jobs.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thanks guys, that's both good to hear because my instinct was right and bad to hear because we are still being hosed. Unless of course if they are truly subsidizing our purchase, in which case more power to them and sucks to be the you (the american taxpayer). But that's the first time I hear of that possibility so unfortunately (for us) that seems unlikely.

Yeah he mentioned 75m at current value, 85m at point of purchase due to inflation. I left it out because it's just another drat variable in this whole opaque mess.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

AlexanderCA posted:

Yeah he mentioned 75m at current value, 85m at point of purchase due to inflation. I left it out because it's just another drat variable in this whole opaque mess.

That's how government accounting works though.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Fair enough.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linedance posted:

You could try the airline websites themselves. Just had a look and all the AC032 direct PEK-YYZ flights are all around $1100+. YVR layover drops it to $908. Then Megabus from YYZ-YSB!

Just checked with Air Canada again and the flight is now $150 more than it was yesterday. Same with all the usual suspects (travelocity, expedia, flightnetwork, travelcuts, etc.)

Thanks anyways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blistex posted:

Just checked with Air Canada again and the flight is now $150 more than it was yesterday. Same with all the usual suspects (travelocity, expedia, flightnetwork, travelcuts, etc.)

Thanks anyways.

Summer is an extremely popular time for long haul overseas. Should have bout that poo poo in advance, RT.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Summer is an extremely popular time for long haul overseas. Should have bout that poo poo in advance, RT.

https://www.google.com/flights/

Check it out, I've gotten some drat cheap airline tickets thought this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Prices are going to trend up as airlines figure out how much the sequester/furlough is costing them.