Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Very nice!

I've got a bunch of unpainted Vikings I've been thinking about setting up for Saga myself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
By Fire and Sword also has me interested, if nothing else than for the book, holy balls that's a nice looking read.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Where would be a decent place to pick up a bunch of plastic Napoleonic soldiers, in the style of plastic Green Army Men? I'm not looking for brilliantly sculpted molds, just a bunch of cheap soldiers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SERPUS posted:

Where would be a decent place to pick up a bunch of plastic Napoleonic soldiers, in the style of plastic Green Army Men? I'm not looking for brilliantly sculpted molds, just a bunch of cheap soldiers.
20mil are cheap in general. How many guys do you need and what size? The easiest will probably be to grab a bunch of random HaT dudes. You get 90+ in some of the larger boxes.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Sorry, what's HaT stand for?

As for numbers, maybe about 20-30 per side.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the name of the company. If you go with 20mil plastics you'll easily do that twice over for 10-20 USD with HaT. It'll cost a bit more with Revell or Italieri but still be cheap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you don't mind paying a little more, you can get them in big green army man scale from Armies in Plastic.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Heres my Breton warlord sort of completed. Couple of bits I need to touch up and realised I hadnt painted the horses eyes!

I was going to keep the shield black like the rest of my force but it looked pretty crappy with such a large kite shield and a black horse. So I decided to have a go at a sort of freehand Celtic knot design (Bretons were Celts) and I think it came out reasonably well considering its the first time Ive ever done a free hand shield design.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Off for my yearly pilgrimage to Salute tomorrow. Will bring back plenty of photos and new toys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Could you sponge up all the Chain of Command info you can? Everything about it sounds great so far.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

For sure. Hope to get in on their demo game.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
any suggestions for 15mm seven years war minis, or is 1/72 plastics better for this era?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Currently sat in the hotel bar opposite Salute. The boys from Gripping Beast are sat next to us drinking heavily. They are going to have a long hard day tomorrow!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I sit here on the other side of the pond, gazing eastward as I let out a slow envious sigh. Well maybe Historicon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I went to a shop today and looked at games and kits that were older than the Yu-Gi-Oh! kids there. It wasn't bad, but knowing that elsewhere in the world Salute was going down just made me sigh.

Take pictures, if you can.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gonna do a big write up and pics sometime tomorrow. Suffice to say I spent a fortune and am now really knackered. Also Chain of Command is totally awesome as is By Fire and Sword.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm very much looking forward to that!

Do you mean this Fire and Sword?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Also By Fire and Sword Kickstarter is up

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1729776659/by-fire-and-sword-historical-tabletop-wargame?ref=recently_launched

Give em money coz they are ace.

EDIT- efb etc

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 20, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Trip Report: Salute 2013

As usual it was in turns awesome, expensive and exhausting.

Me playing with my phones panorama feature. Doesnt give a great sense of scale tbh, but gives an impression.

First thing I did was buy 2 skirmish sets, rules and extras from By Fire and Sword. I was the first customer of the day and they were great guys to chat to. They were all in costume, but I was too laden down with my purchases to take their pics.I was then invited by one of the sculptors to have a game with him, and we played a quick Sweden V Poland skirmish. Rules were clever and tight and fast play. Forces were both all cavalry and it was a real maelstrom as you would imagine. If people are interested I can do a bigger post about it later. While we were there a childhood hero of mine, Joe Dever (author most famous for the Lone Wolf RPG/Fighting Fantasy style books in the 80s) turned up. Joe takes photos of every single display, game and stand every year at Salute and he took a photo of the game I was playing which was cool. I will link his blog when he ups all his pics, as they are usually awesomely well done (he certainly has some lovely camera gear!)

This is a huge, huge Battle of Waterloo display in 28mm. The guy dressed as Napoleon gace guided tours of the battlefield which were great.

Flames of War Vietnam at the Battlefront Stand.

Battle of Little Round Top on the Wargames Illustrated stand.

Unsurprisingly, once again the Gripping Beast/Saga stand was under siege most of the day. I did get to see a test game of their new supplement which will be the first Crusade. Sounds good to me!

One of my fave games of last year, Dux Bellorum being demoed in 28mm.

Nice looking 28mm WW2 board (lots of these at the show tbh, no idea exactly what it was.)

MDF buildings ahev come a long way- this 15mm example set up was by 4Ground. I reckon it looks great when you consider all they need doing to look like that is put together!

Some 3 Ups from Fireforge games (some Crusade based stuff I assume)

3 Ups of medieval stuff and diorama of Perrys WW2 North African plastics

A Japanesey table. No idea but I know some of you in here will like it!

One of the Salute highlights for me was chatting to the guys from TooFatLardies and watching them demo Chain of Command. Sorry the pic is a bit boring (it shows the patrol phase of the game) but I was too interested in asking questions and watching the game being played to take pics. Again ,like Fire and Sword, I am happy to do a post to answer any questions about it as I know people are interested in this game. All I can say is I am definitely buying it as soon as its released, and its going to be my go to WW2 skirmish game for sure.

Especially for ColonialAF- Warlord had all their WIP supplements available for browse. Thought this would tickle your fancy!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Also if anyone buys into the Fire and Sword kickstarter and doesnt want their hero figures that you get as a freebie, I would gladly buy them off you as Im becoming a big fan of the novels that the limited edition models are based on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Also if anyone buys into the Fire and Sword kickstarter and doesnt want their hero figures that you get as a freebie, I would gladly buy them off you as Im becoming a big fan of the novels that the limited edition models are based on.
You may want to ask around on the official forum then, IIRC there were a few more limited minis given as part of tournament packs and whatnot.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"American Rebellion" oh you Brits...

Can you tell about those 15mm MDF buildings? I'd love to have some nice, decent, readymade, and, most importantly, cheap buildings, but I've honestly never seen stuff like that.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Im guessing its called the American Rebellion as both nations refer to it by different terms and its fairly neutral that way.

http://www.4ground.co.uk/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Serotonin posted:

Im guessing its called the American Rebellion as both nations refer to it by different terms and its fairly neutral that way.

http://www.4ground.co.uk/

I thought "The American Revolution" was the official party-neutral International friendly title.

Otherwise, something is making me want to give money to By Fire and Sword. I think it's the winged Polish Hussars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:syoon:

I'm totally jealous, thanks for the report! I didn't expect SAGA crusades, and those MDF houses look really impressive massed up like that. I think they're the 4ground ones, but the designs look new to me.

And yeah, I'm also sending Fire & Sword some kickstarter dollars. I doubt I'll pick up the physical book, but the PDF, poster, and demo figures is exceptionally reasonable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Especially for ColonialAF- Warlord had all their WIP supplements available for browse. Thought this would tickle your fancy!

gently caress yes! It's about goddamn time.

YF19pilot posted:

I thought "The American Revolution" was the official party-neutral International friendly title.

:spergin:

The "Revolution" was the entire period include pre- and post-Independence, and includes the philosophical and political changes as well as just becoming independent. The "American War of Independence" is the actual war portion, and is honestly more neutral in my opinion.

The more biased American term would be "The Revolutionary War".

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

LOL how hard is it for you fucknuts to read. I even labelled the photo 4Ground and then posted a link in my next post to 4Ground and you are still discussing whether they are 4Ground or not.

Bless you.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah AWI is the generally accepted historical miniatures parlance for that war, probably because Americans are a little biased towards referring to their conflicts in solipsistic ways (coughcoughTHEcivilwarecoughcoughcough).

I really want the SAGA guys to do Asia next, but 1st Crusade was a much more predictable bet since it happens less than fifty years after the so called "Viking Age" ends.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Had a chance to go to Salute as well, although I'm not much of a tabletop wargamer, although there were a couple of board-wargames as well to keep me interested. Since I'm interested in ACW I had a look around for those tables and managed to get a good look at the three different tables: there was the Little Round Top/Devil's Den, there was a table where they were doing Jackson's flank attack at Chancellorsville and there was an imagined fight between the Army of Northern Virginia vs the Army of the Potomac. Does the western theater get as much representation as the east?

I was really, really tempted to pick up some ACW Infantry Miniatures but then I remember my stack of unfinished armies for my youth. Maybe when I have some more time/patience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Scratch Monkey posted:

"American Rebellion" oh you Brits...

Can you tell about those 15mm MDF buildings? I'd love to have some nice, decent, readymade, and, most importantly, cheap buildings, but I've honestly never seen stuff like that.
I can tell you that they're god-damned sturdy, and you can put them together and take them apart a few times with no ill effects. They've got huge variety, they're in a few scales and the individual floors and the roofs just sit together nicely so you can remove them during play. A bit on the pricey side in some respects, but the time you save on home-made terrain is probably well worth it.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah AWI is the generally accepted historical miniatures parlance for that war, probably because Americans are a little biased towards referring to their conflicts in solipsistic ways (coughcoughTHEcivilwarecoughcoughcough).

I really want the SAGA guys to do Asia next, but 1st Crusade was a much more predictable bet since it happens less than fifty years after the so called "Viking Age" ends.
It's always "the civil war" because are we not all brothers? Also it's also always "the war of independance" because usually England was bossing your around at some point.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Serotonin posted:

Unsurprisingly, once again the Gripping Beast/Saga stand was under siege most of the day. I did get to see a test game of their new supplement which will be the first Crusade. Sounds good to me!

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed to see "Warriors of God" and "Moors" after eg. Strathclyde or Normans or whatever.

Is anyone using anything other than FoF/TW for modern/near future 15mm at roughly platoon/reinforced-platoon level? I've been trying TW and I can't make heads or tails of the ruleset, it's really poorly written. I'm thinking about going back to SGII but I don't know what else is out there.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I would have been more happy with them doing the Muslim/Gaul wars than straight crusades.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
All these pics from awesome UK shows made me consider planning a trip to visit one in 2014. We really have nothing like these in Scandinavia, our cons are mostly about fantasy and sci-fi tournament games. So I was thinking about maybe casting and painting up a bunch of my buildings, and see if it is possible to cut a bit off the cost by selling off some goods, or maybe even set up some kind of participation game.

If you were to go to a single UK show, which one would it be?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

If you were to go to a single UK show, which one would it be?

Salute.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cool. I think the follow up question would be: how litte stock can I bring, so that I have an excuse to ditch the booth and drool over miniatures the rest of the day?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hello historical wargamers! I'm organizing the next oath painting thread, which some of you may be familiar with. I'm hoping to get more historical gamers interested in oathing, which involves painting stuff every month to get entries into prize draws throughout the next 12 months, but it's mostly about getting you motivated to paint your stuff.

We're very close to posting all the details of the next oath thread, and I'm putting out with a call for anyone who's interested in donating prizes, or anyone who's involved with a company that may want to provide sponsorship for any prizes:

If you want to be in with a chance to win prizes at the end of the next oathing season, you can send a prize or prizes to the organizers - in addition to the regular monthly, quarterly and grand prizes at the end of the oath season, one goon that sends in a prize will be chosen at the end of the next oath thread to win a fabulous retail prize from one of our sponsors!

Do you have a company that makes or supplies miniature models or supplies? Do you want to get loads of publicity in front of dozens and even hundreds of miniature-painting goons?

If you're interested in either option, drop me a PM or an email at krushgroove169 at gmail and we can talk!

The prizes obtained will be used for monthly, quarterly or season-ending prizes - once we have all the prizes from companies and goons collected, we'll collect them all together and spread them out across the 30+ different prizes we'll be sending out during the year.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Who has good 1:100/15mm scale helicopters? Scale Creep and QRF don't carry aircraft, and I want to see if it's possible to build an army in the FoW Vietnam book under $200. (And seeing as Battlefront doesn't have the Loach available yet...)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Skytrex / (Command Decision in the States) has you covered for most everything except helicopters. I found a Flashpoint has a 1/100 Huey, but it's probably more expensive than the BF one.

e: Oh poo poo, Corgi to the rescue. (Pun intended.) It's listed as 1:100 and 1/144 but people online are saying Corgi is 1:100 (15mm scale). It's not the exact same model, but close enough for six bucks.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
QRF seem to have some, but I'm not too clear on model numbers. They're listed under Modern, not Post-War with the rest of the Vietnam stuff, but the descriptions seem about right.