Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bliggers- posted:

Doesn't the original elephant pressing have a glitch on it? I seem to remember that but can't find a mention of it now.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/white-stripes-elephant-us-vs-uk-pressing-same-master.310464/

Nope.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yeah I've got the original US pressing too. Managed to use self-restraint and fiscal responsibility to somehow not buy the new reissue. Any differences between the two in terms of sound or packaging?

The only other RSD release I was really tempted by was the Buffalo Killers EP but I think that was only in the midwest region. I might pick it up on ebay if anyone can attest to its quality.

I haven't listened to the new version yet, but if there's any difference in sound it comes down to the quality of the pressing. Like I mentioned, they actually used the same lacquers from the original release. The cover, inner sleeves, and labels are identical. Although the cover is that fancier tip on style which the original release didn't have. So really if you already have the original release there's no reason to buy the reissue. But I did anyway because I'm a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Reckless Records online store

How are these guys, in terms of service and shipping rates/packaging? Saw something on there I'm interested in but I've never heard of them before.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Detective Thompson posted:

How are these guys, in terms of service and shipping rates/packaging? Saw something on there I'm interested in but I've never heard of them before.

Not sure. I've bought all those Flaming Lips eps from them before and had no problems whatsoever having it shipped to mainland Europe.

Well, the sleeves were split, but I blame Wayne for that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Detective Thompson posted:

They are pretty reckless :mmmhmm:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
What the gently caress Amazon :confused:

Aren't they supposed to be renowned for their good packaging? This thing was barely taped shut and is very crushable. No air bags, foam or stiffeners or anything.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did customs open it? Or possibly a neighbour?

There would be a note if it was customs but I had to get a po box because some shady arsehole was doing that to everything I ordered online.

Edit: and amazon won't deliver to po boxes! So if I order from them it has to go to my parents house. But most places will.

realbez fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 23, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

david puddy posted:

Aren't they supposed to be renowned for their good packaging? This thing was barely taped shut and is very crushable. No air bags, foam or stiffeners or anything.

That's how they used to ship records before getting those special vinyl boxes.

Guess they ran out.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

realbez posted:

Did customs open it? Or possibly a neighbour?

There would be a note if it was customs but I had to get a po box because some shady arsehole was doing that to everything I ordered online.

I live on a large-ish property and we are friendly with all of our neighbours. It must have been amazon's dodgy taping job because there are no signs of it having been removed and replaced, there was just like a centimetre of tape residue on the top of the right flap. Oh well, it's not damaged or anything so whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
People really need to stop buying records from Amazon.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
All my records from Amazon have come in those frustration-free mailers which are rad, though apparently those giant boxes still turn up occasionally.

Amazon is great for general, non-limited releases as the shipping to Australia is really cheap, after the USPS's recent 800% postage increase made purchasing from a lot of other places prohibitively expensive.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Doctor Cave posted:

All my records from Amazon have come in those frustration-free mailers which are rad, though apparently those giant boxes still turn up occasionally.

Amazon is great for general, non-limited releases as the shipping to Australia is really cheap, after the USPS's recent 800% postage increase made purchasing from a lot of other places prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, this is why I bought it from them. $11 priority shipping is the best thing, it seriously only took like a week to get here. The only thing I've had faster was InSound's UPS (which was $22, 5 days from order placing to arriving).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

Yeah, this is why I bought it from them. $11 priority shipping is the best thing, it seriously only took like a week to get here. The only thing I've had faster was InSound's UPS (which was $22, 5 days from order placing to arriving).

Yeah, all the stuff I've ordered through them has been in mailers. Bad luck maybe?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

after the USPS's recent 800% postage increase made purchasing from a lot of other places prohibitively expensive.

What's this about?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

screaden posted:

What's this about?

USPS upped the prices on their postage in January. Apparently the domestic postage increases were negligible, but shipping on records internationally has increased from approx $17 to $22 for me (on average).
e: I am in Australia

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 23, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, most times now the shipping is more than the record. And if it's a double LP or more, then urgh.

Here is a good article about it: http://stereogum.com/1247822/deconstructing-how-the-usps-is-killing-indie/top-stories/lead-story/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Doctor Cave posted:

Amazon is great for general, non-limited releases

Pretty much this, I'm never getting a limited release from them again, but any average album I buy I can get there, in great packaging, free fast shipping and probably get the MP3s for free on Amazon cloud.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Last record I bought from Amazon was shipped with an iphone case. The big box I received had the case inside with packing AND the amazon LP mailer inside. I haven't tried to order anything limited from amazon though so I don't know. Sure as hell beats Insound's always bent to hell corners.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

david puddy posted:

Go to https://www.amazon.com/box and fill out their rating form there. You can even attach your pictures.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

realbez posted:

Edit: and amazon won't deliver to po boxes! So if I order from them it has to go to my parents house. But most places will.

Where are you located? I'm in the US and everything I've ever ordered from them was delivered to my PO box (except a few 3rd party items).

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

dutch wife abc posted:

woah, what?

The only RSD thing I would have been interested to pick up was the Ebba Grön reissues, and they were exclusively released in Sweden. Meh. All these special products are almost the complete opposite of why I buy vinyl anyway.

EEP, ended up picking them up anyway. Unpassable offer, don't judge me.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

mono posted:

Go to https://www.amazon.com/box and fill out their rating form there. You can even attach your pictures.

Thanks, done that.

I have a question about record cleaners. Does anyone have experience with the VPI vacuum machines (HW-17) and the Spin Clean? One of my nearby stores does cleaning and I'm looking at having a few records touched up. Does the VPI produce noticeably better results than the Spin Clean? Will having an older record that's been played a lot cleaned make much of a difference? I'd think a lot of the surface noise on my copy of Sgt Pepper's would just be groove degradation so I want to know if getting it cleaned would be worthwhile.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
VPI cleaning is the colonic of the record world. The spin clean is a half-rear end handjob.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Where are you located? I'm in the US and everything I've ever ordered from them was delivered to my PO box (except a few 3rd party items).

Australia. Amazon refuses to ship here without a 3rd party carrier like ups or FedEx or something and they won't deliver to po boxes.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My friend just bought an AT-LP60 and he's been jamming to some tunes. He's telling me that side b of his copy of Sung Tongs keeps skipping and this is his replacement copy for the first one that skipped aswell. None of his other records skip. Anyone know of a manufacturing issue with Sung Tongs? I'd think that would be mighty odd if he got TWO defective copies.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 24, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

david puddy posted:

I ordered my copy of ( ) by Sigur Ros through FatCat 6 weeks ago and I only just realised that I never got a shipping confirmation email. Here I was waiting patiently for it to arrive and it hasn't even been sent yet :argh: They better respond to my email by later tonight.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone, jerk!

Fatcat UK posted:

Dear Customer,

This is a customer services announcement regarding your order for the Sigur Rós - ( ) DMM LTD LP.

We have been trying to procure additional stock of this item to fulfill your order; however, all stock of the limited run has now sold out. There is small chance that the vinyl will be re-pressed in the future, but we are unable to confirm this at present. We have refunded this item in full and your account will be credited in 3-5 working days. Should this product become available again in the future it will be put back on sale on the FatCat store.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused.

Kind regards
Sandbag Ltd.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Me in Reverse posted:

Thanks for ruining it for everyone, jerk!

Yeah I got that too. I can't believe it, I ordered it the same day it went live. Oh well, I could really probably use the $50 or whatever it was, need to book some more travel stuff this week.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 24, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I don't really understand Sigur Ros vinyl. They are a popular band. Why don't they keep their stuff in print, instead of these small pressings every now and then? They could make so much money, instead it's going to eBay or Discogs sellers most of the time.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

What a vinyl bummer...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

david puddy posted:

Yeah I got that too. I can't believe it, I ordered it the same day it went live. Oh well, I could really probably use the $50 or whatever it was, need to book some more travel stuff this week.

'went live'? I thought someone stumbled upon overstock on FatCat UK's site.. my AB is the '09, not the '13..

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

WASDF posted:

My friend just bought an AT-LP60 and he's been jamming to some tunes. He's telling me that side b of his copy of Sung Tongs keeps skipping and this is his replacement copy for the first one that skipped aswell. None of his other records skip. Anyone know of a manufacturing issue with Sung Tongs? I'd think that would be mighty odd if he got TWO defective copies.

Maybe it has something to do with his tracking force? Is it skipping in the exact same place? My copy of Sung Tongs sounds perfect.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah I don't know what sung tongs is but I would check the tracking force and also check to see if maybe his speakers are on the same surface as his TT?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

His speakers are on the floor and the player on the box it came on. Not the most ideal, but its the best he can do. I don't think that is the issue.

Though I'm not sure what tracking force is and how he would change it. And his first copy of Sung Tongs skipped in only one place consistently but this one skips at that spot and then many times after it.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 24, 2013

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WASDF posted:

Though I'm not sure what tracking force is and how he would change it. And his first copy of Sung Tongs skipped in only one place consistently but this one skips at that spot and then many times after it.

The AT-LP 60 doesn't have a counterweight, so the tracking force can't really be changed. His best bet, if he can find access to one, would be to try the record on another turntable.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
You know, InSound kind of sucks when it comes to pricing but I complained yesterday about some minor damage to my record and if I could exchange it and they just sent me a new copy free of charge. It was a limited item as well.

That's pretty ace.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That's rad. I always get bent corners from their stuff.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah, one corner was flattened, like it's been dropped, and another corner was pretty badly bent.

This is one hell of a way to make up for it though.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
This came up on the Reckless site so keep your fingers crossed. I'm hoping it gets sorted soon as eBay prices are falling to not crazy levels on some stuff.

"On Monday 4/22 our site was overwhelmed with orders causing the site to crash numerous times. We have temporarily removed all Record Store Day items from the site until we sort through the wreckage and make sure everyone who ordered Monday morning gets their orders filled. We have hundreds of orders so it is likely many RSD titles will be gone once all orders are filled but we will still have many titles available in a few days when they are available on the site again."

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm thinking of selling my ISIS - Live V Limited Edition on white vinyl with the numbered silk screen poster. Thought I'd mention it in here before I put it up on eBay.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You know, InSound kind of sucks when it comes to pricing but I complained yesterday about some minor damage to my record and if I could exchange it and they just sent me a new copy free of charge. It was a limited item as well.

That's pretty ace.

I recently ordered the 180g reissues of 'Wowee Zowee' and 'Slanted & Enchanted' from Matador, but they sent the 120g bargain versions instead. When I asked them about it, they just posted me the 180g ones and didn't ask me to return anything. So Matador are nice people too.

I already mentioned that Kranky refunded me a bunch of postage recently (think it was about $25) because I had paid too much, which was downright decent of them.

Happy tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

shmee posted:

I recently ordered the 180g reissues of 'Wowee Zowee' and 'Slanted & Enchanted' from Matador, but they sent the 120g bargain versions instead. When I asked them about it, they just posted me the 180g ones and didn't ask me to return anything. So Matador are nice people too.

I already mentioned that Kranky refunded me a bunch of postage recently (think it was about $25) because I had paid too much, which was downright decent of them.

Happy tales.

Would you be interested in selling the bargain versions?