Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Yeah, PMCs are loving scary and their apparent presence at this event does raise suspicion. Also, if they were there for security, why didn't they, uh, do their job?

Couldn't you say the exact same thing about all the cops who were at the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

babies havin rabies posted:

Can you provide a credible source that they are Craft or some other PMC? If they are, I wish they would put to rest the reason why they were there, considering conspiracy theorists are going apeshit speculating about their involvement.

Myself, PMCs scare the poo poo out of me to begin with, but in a general way.
Even infowars has an article stating that the "military men" turned out to be national guard CST teams

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Why hire them in the first place? Of course it could be a bunch of posers, but those dudes do have matching uniforms and appear to be in pretty good shape, so I dunno, it's just weird. :shrug:

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Yeah, PMCs are loving scary and their apparent presence at this event does raise suspicion. Also, if they were there for security, why didn't they, uh, do their job?

If they were there as security for a runner which would make the most sense. It's seems like they did their job just fine. Since they didn't get in the way of actual LEO or medics and no runners got hurt in the bombing.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Syllogism posted:

Even infowars has an article stating that the "military men" turned out to be national guard CST teams

Infowars actually redacted their own content? Wow. Thanks for the picture.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
If this were some grand conspiracy in which Craft military contractors bombed the marathon at the behest of the US Government, framing two innocent immigrants with the use of amputee-actors and fake blood, do the conspiracy theorists seriously believe the military contractors would wear their loving uniform to the job?!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I want to look at this jihad bomb making magazine but I'm literally afraid I'll end up on a government watch list if I do. :laffo:

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

awesome-express posted:

You're right, they should have used their x-ray vision to scan all the backpacks of everyone in the area and eliminate the threat.

Seriously though, what about PMCs being at the finish line "raises suspicion"? Do you think the cavalcade of physical evidence (photos and footage of the two suspects leaving their backpacks seconds before detonation, the use of another similar IED during a police chase involving these two suspects, the confession that they used Inspire magazine to construct their IEDs, etc) is overwhelmed by a couple of PMCs standing at the finish line?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Chris! posted:

If this were some grand conspiracy in which Craft military contractors bombed the marathon at the behest of the US Government, framing two innocent immigrants with the use of amputee-actors and fake blood, do the conspiracy theorists seriously believe the military contractors would wear their loving uniform to the job?!

Most conspiracy theories involve an enemy which is both hidden in the darkest shadows and hiding in plain sight, clear as day, wake up sheeple! It's the same logical juxtaposition that creates the confirmation bias in the first place.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

ethanol posted:

I want to look at this jihad bomb making magazine but I'm literally afraid I'll end up on a government watch list if I do. :laffo:

Just look it up at a public library

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

ethanol posted:

Use a proxy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

So long as you aren't actually doing anything wrong, there's nothing wrong with just looking, right? riiiiight?

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)

Syllogism posted:

Why does the national guard need Certified Sex Therapists? :confused:

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eyewitness calls into Opie and Anthony to give his account...except his police radio is heard going off at one point. :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_12i2UZFs

e: 2:50-3:00

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rawillkill posted:

Just look it up at a public library

Haha, that won't confuse the guy next to me.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

ethanol posted:

Haha, that won't confuse the guy next to me.

Print it out while muttering under your breath

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

lothar_ posted:

There hasn't been a federal execution in over 10 years, and the administration has more to lose from alienating death penalty opponents than trying to gain the support of those who will never vote for Dems anyway.

I am literally a terrible poster. Please ignore me!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

7744 posted:

You're right, they should have used their x-ray vision to scan all the backpacks of everyone in the area and eliminate the threat.

Seriously though, what about PMCs being at the finish line "raises suspicion"? Do you think the cavalcade of physical evidence (photos and footage of the two suspects leaving their backpacks seconds before detonation, the use of another similar IED during a police chase involving these two suspects, the confession that they used Inspire magazine to construct their IEDs, etc) is overwhelmed by a couple of PMCs standing at the finish line?
Wait, they don't have those? Bummer.

Anyway, I'm wondering why did the event organizers bother hiring a PMC if they had the local PD looking over the event? Oh and just in case, I'm not implying that there's some grand conspiracy or anything. PMC dudes just scare the everliving poo poo out of me and they pretty much scream "evil murdering organization".

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Pretty sure I took a peek of a copy of Inspire the last time it was mentioned on these forums. Big Brother's probably been watching me shitpost about sports ever since.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Oh gently caress, I just checked if Inspire was available online and now I see it's illegal in the UK. Am I going to be on all kinds of watchlists now? :ohdear:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Anyway, I'm wondering why did the event organizers bother hiring a PMC if they had the local PD looking over the event? Oh and just in case, I'm not implying that there's some grand conspiracy or anything. PMC dudes just scare the everliving poo poo out of me and they pretty much scream "evil murdering organization".

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the event organizers but any business that was involved or even some individual wealthy runner. Or maybe they were there for some unrelated reason and just stopped by to watch the race. Who knows, there are a ton of possible reasons those dudes could be there and until there's any real evidence connecting them to the bombing in any way, I don't see what the point of digging into it is.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

awesome-express posted:

PMC dudes just scare the everliving poo poo out of me and they pretty much scream "evil murdering organization".

Their logo is, by their own admission, overtly oppressive and in poor taste:

Craft International posted:

As part of SEAL Team 3, Chris and his fellow teammates painted similar skulls on their gear in order to strike fear in the enemy. The crosshair symbolizes his time spent on a sniper rifle and is also in the form of a templar cross to symbolize his faith.

Literally co-opting the logo of church-funded crusading holy warriors. This company could potentially represent US interests in the Middle East. Hearts and minds! :rolleyes:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

jalopybrown posted:

Oh gently caress, I just checked if Inspire was available online and now I see it's illegal in the UK. Am I going to be on all kinds of watchlists now? :ohdear:

You better get the gently caress out of dodge. I think they're coming for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLt_X6xmbk

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

jalopybrown posted:

If you got as far as hitting the IWF proxy that's up in front of the official inspire site, then the IWF have probably mandatory reported you. I dunno if anything is likely to happen beyond them asking your ISP for your name and seeing if you have any other outstanding flags against you, probably not.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Chris! posted:

Also my favorite part of most of the conspiracy theories floating around is that "Congress is doing this so they can pass so and so bill without people noticing!!!"

Um. It's congress. That's what they do. They pass bills. If they wanted to pass a dumb rear end bill they would just do it. Nothing has stopped them before.

Edit: Also, if you need to get the country to stop paying attention to bills being passed you don't need to set off a false flag attack. You just gotta pass it right before the weekend, a tactic they use all the time.

SaucyLoggins fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 23, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Literally nothing bad happens in the world unless the government is up to something sinister. It's true, I was at hurricane sandy. Or as I like to call it, Hurricane Obama.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

7744 posted:

What I'm trying to say is this is not a case of "tribal rage" or striking back at the Great American Satan. It's the same reason Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot a bunch of their fellow high school students who had nothing to do with their bullying. They're just bitter and angry and choose to take out their frustrations with their own lives on innocent people.

This post is a little "old" but just in case anyone else is thinking along these same lines, if we assume the narrative of "guy turns out to be a shitheel but finds solace in radical fundamentalism" to be true this is not like the motivation behind Columbine even slightly. Columbine wasn't the result of jock vs goth bullying or anything like that... they didn't even kill anyone they specifically disliked (http://www.slate.com/sidebars/2004/04/sidebar_3.html).

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 23, 2013

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ethanol posted:

Literally nothing bad happens in the world unless the government is up to something sinister. It's true, I was at hurricane sandy. Or as I like to call it, Hurricane Obama.

Terrorism is Obama. Cancer is Obama. Everything is Obama. Long live Obama.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Do we have any real evidence yet that this was an attack on America or it's Government (like McVeigh) rather than sociopathic violence?

Yes Tamerlane did travel to a conflicted region, but all accounts say he wasn't involved in radicalism. Plus, the main group fighting in that region explicitly states it has no quarrel with America.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

the black husserl posted:

Do we have any real evidence yet that this was an attack on America or it's Government (like McVeigh) rather than sociopathic violence?

Yes Tamerlane did travel to a conflicted region, but all accounts say he wasn't involved in radicalism. Plus, the main group fighting in that region explicitly states it has no quarrel with America.

I'm guessing that the lack of a terrorism charge indicates that there's no evidence, yet, of it being politically motivated.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

Scyantific posted:

Ahahaha gently caress Reddit. But yeah, we were doing the same here, but unlike them, all we were doing was speculating, we never really got out and started fingering people

speak for yourself :whatup:

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

There's plenty of evidence that the older brother was radicalized, but besides that Dzhokhar already cited U.S. wars as motivation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d70e_story.html

The level of cooperation at this stage is a bit surprising unless he has been told that they won't push for death penalty if he cooperates fully

Syllogism fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 23, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When you look to Inspire...I'm pretty sure you have an Anti-American tinge to your worldview and operations. I mean otherwise why use Inspire when..well it's the internet a lot is out there, and hell from old Army Manuals. Honestly those things are far more useful than some one off article in the ?????Issue of Inspire. Hell they are just interesting reading for the law abiding too (especially if you study history/Poli Sci/military history).

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

gfanikf posted:

When you look to Inspire...I'm pretty sure you have an Anti-American tinge to your worldview and operations. I mean otherwise why use Inspire when..well it's the internet a lot is out there, and hell from old Army Manuals. Honestly those things are far more useful than some one off article in the ?????Issue of Inspire. Hell they are just interesting reading for the law abiding too (especially if you study history/Poli Sci/military history).

I think that makes as much sense as assuming that all readers of the Anarchist Cookbook admire the political philosophy of Emma Goldman.

Why use inspire? Well, they know from making bombs.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 23, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syllogism posted:

There's plenty of evidence that the older brother was radicalized, but besides that Dzhokhar already cited U.S. wars as motivation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d70e_story.html

The level of cooperation at this stage is a bit surprising unless he has been told that they won't push for death penalty if he cooperates fully

Truthfully I could see his attorney...which has anyone confirmed is William Frick is outside hired/volunteer counsel or Federal Public Defender...viewing that as the best approach. If I was Frick my goal would be avoid death and avoid him being in ADX Florence (or some 23 hr solitary). I'd honestly tell my client you are never getting out of prison, you will not be found insane, and you have to accept that. Even if he never did the bombing in Boston (and I'm not saying that at all) and only was involved in MIT on, the odds are he will die in prison.

It is possible that Dzhokhar is legitimately remorseful after coming down from a combat high/understanding the consequences of his actions. His suicide could have been much fear than martyrdom.

Still Dzhokhar should rot in ADX Florence or get a needle at Terre Haute...but "even a werewolf deserves an attorney" and that attorney should be representing his client to the best of his abilities. In this case I think it's life in prison that allows him something more for him to do than Ted K, Robert Hassan, or Zacharia Moussaoui spend their days doing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You're all going to dislike this but I think he should spend the next ten years in 23 hours of solitary confinement waiting for his execution because that's the second thought I want to go through every person's head who's first thought was "I should blow up a bomb in america".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ethanol posted:

You're all going to dislike this but I think he should spend the next ten years in 23 hours of solitary confinement waiting for his execution because that's the second thought I want to go through every person's head who's first thought was "I should blow up a bomb in america".

Making the first thing happen will not make the second thing happen. People already know that the consequences for terrorism will be either death or life imprisonment, and the people who actually go on to commit such acts so are not going to be stopped by that knowledge. They either plan on dying, or they plan on not getting caught.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think that makes as much sense as assuming that all readers of the Anarchist Cookbook admire the political philosophy of Emma Goldman.
Except it's so easy to find bomb making material than in the past, in the early days of the internet (and even in print only days) if you knew the title Anarchists Cookbook or Poor Mans James Bond, you already knew a lot more than most did and even that wasn't easily accessible. It makes sense that people would use gravitate to those titles regardless of political alignment.

I also think due to that the Anarchists Cookbook really lost any political connection to it in the 1990s and onward. No one really studies the political message (which is all over the place and not too surprising considering the author at the time and their age). It exists as this universal "bomb making book" that nothing else can claim and also as forbidden fruit. However, you don't need to even use that these days or Inspire. Youtube and other resources are filled with the information stripped of political content and most likely more detailed and varied.

quote:

Why use inspire? Well, they know from making bombs.

The fact is Inspire is still heavily political. I mean take a look at most of their article titles, it wasn't just meant as bomb making tools, in fact recruitment was a big thrust. I mean look at the number of articles and how many are tech and how many political propaganda.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'd like to hear white hat's reasoning for strolling in and out like nothing was going to happen. Based on his behavior its pretty obvious he thought he was going to get away with it. I'd also like to know how much he poo poo his pants when his smug face was on every TV on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Making the first thing happen will not make the second thing happen. People already know that the consequences for terrorism will be either death or life imprisonment, and the people who actually go on to commit such acts so are not going to be stopped by that knowledge. They either plan on dying, or they plan on not getting caught.

Well two terrorists who clearly did not plan on getting caught just got caught. I think that's a pretty drat good signal. Doesn't do much for the suicidal ones, but it does for those who hope to keep living.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread