Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay, okay. I retract my earlier statement that ADD is part of the autistic spectrum. It was an honest mistake And yes, I've read A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm not aggressive enough to be Ignatius.

Anyway, I got myself on a calling list for the dishwashing job. Browsing around, I've also applied for a job at my local Baskin-Robins. There's a "Help Wanted" sign outside of the WaBa Grill I was interviewed, but the manager insists they want a girl for the position of cashier. I'd call bullshit, but I'd be wasting time. The Radioshack is doing interviews, but the manager is going off how high applicants scored off the questionnaire. The fact that he suggested I reapply doesn't inspire much confidence in how I answered it. Oh well, off to re-applying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just FYI, it is totally illegal to have "girl" be a requirement for a cashier position.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

sheri posted:

Just FYI, it is totally illegal to have "girl" be a requirement for a cashier position.

They're probably an equal opportunity employer and therefore trying to "diversify" their staff if they don't have any/many girls. That or they really don't want to hire Benny.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, okay. I retract my earlier statement that ADD is part of the autistic spectrum. It was an honest mistake And yes, I've read A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm not aggressive enough to be Ignatius.

What about medication for your ADD?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Nightblade posted:

What about medication for your ADD?
I want to avoid medicating my ADD because I'm afraid of developing a substance-dependency problem. I've never been medicated for my ADD.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Benny the Snake posted:

I want to avoid medicating my ADD because I'm afraid of developing a substance-dependency problem. I've never been medicated for my ADD.

People with ADHD/ADD have an increased risk of developing substance abuse problems, but research shows that they are less likely to develop problems if they are medicated.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Benny the Snake posted:

Are you afraid of being dependent on ADD medicine? Because that's what medicine is for, bro.

Do you look down on people who have to take insulin to manage their diabetes? People who need to take thyroid medication their whole lives? Women who manage their periods and various conditions like PCOS with the birth control pill?

Plenty of people are "substance dependent" on medication because otherwise, they can't function. It's totally chill to take medication for your ADD, man. It's not like getting hooked on heroin. You're treating a medical condition. That's all.

Edit: And seriously, why aren't you making part time cash online? Someone upthread mentioned it. Get on that! You can take surveys and do stuff on Amazon's MTurk, whatever. There's a thread in business/finance/careers about it. Sure, it's not a real job, but at least it would be something.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

Taking necessary medication is not "having a substance-dependency problem". Chexmix covered this well already. You could at least try it for now and resolve to taper off once your life is more together.

I'm surprised to hear there isn't a single orderly/patient transport gig open at even the tiniest hospital. Those jobs turn over constantly. Get an application in for the next opening, maybe, because it's likely to be soon?

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I had similar worries when I was thinking about medicating my ADD (although, they were like tiny tiny worries). You hear all about how ADD meds are STIMULANTS and they're related to METH, and think omg I'm going to be like a meth addict!!! This is not true, you will not be at all like a meth addict. There is so much misinformation out there due to ignorance and the fact that most ADD medication studies are about children. For example, the Wikipedia article for Ritalin (Methylphenidate) states that it only really has addiction potential if it's injected intravenously, which is only something existing addicts and crazy people do.

I forget to take my medication all the time with no ill effects. I'll go weekends without it, or several days if I'm sick or have forgotten to refill my prescription. There is no need to taper off the medication if you decide not to take it anymore and it totally leaves your system in several hours (assuming you're not taking the extended release pill). You shouldn't feel obligated to medicate your ADD, but you should at least buy some books and get yourself informed. Think about giving it a try for a trial period after you're employed and have some health insurance. I was skeptical that it would do anything for me, and it totally turned my life around. Not because I can't live without it, or because I'm a drug-addled zombie that doesn't care about anything but work, and feels no emotions, or any of that other crap misinformation you hear elsewhere. It changed my life because I can now function like a normal human being and get things done when they need to be done. I don't feel any different on meds (if you do feel different or "drugged" that means your dose is way too high), but I can direct my brain where I want it to go now (most of the time) and it's great! I notice when things are dirty and I can clean them! I can pay my bills without massive anxiety about walking to the bank down the street!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Anyway, I got myself on a calling list for the dishwashing job. Browsing around, I've also applied for a job at my local Baskin-Robins. There's a "Help Wanted" sign outside of the WaBa Grill I was interviewed, but the manager insists they want a girl for the position of cashier. I'd call bullshit, but I'd be wasting time. The Radioshack is doing interviews, but the manager is going off how high applicants scored off the questionnaire. The fact that he suggested I reapply doesn't inspire much confidence in how I answered it. Oh well, off to re-applying.

So what about when you called United Way, Goodwill, and the Department of Labor?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

It completely blows my loving mind that you have a college degree and can't even find work at a fast food place. It's literally inconceivabl to me -- both that despite your degree you can't manage to land a $12/hr secretary position, and that you managed to pass 4 years of college with your obvious issues. You have a legitimate diploma, right?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Morby posted:

So what about when you called United Way, Goodwill, and the Department of Labor?
I'm putting that off for now. Tomorrow I have an employment fair. And I have to contact the FSA. I applied for student loan consolidation, but know I have to re-apply because I'm unemployed now. Wednesday I have an interview with McDonald's. After weeks of calling and applying twice. I'm serous: I got the run-around from McDonald's. Eh well, I've finally got an interview. Woo-hoo!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Edit ^^^Very cool. For god sakes don't argue with your boss if he tells you to do something on the first day.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

It completely blows my loving mind that you have a college degree and can't even find work at a fast food place. It's literally inconceivabl to me -- both that despite your degree you can't manage to land a $12/hr secretary position, and that you managed to pass 4 years of college with your obvious issues. You have a legitimate diploma, right?

He's been halfassing/been oblivious about job searching but landed at least two jobs. He was fired from both the first day.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm surprised to hear there isn't a single orderly/patient transport gig open at even the tiniest hospital. Those jobs turn over constantly. Get an application in for the next opening, maybe, because it's likely to be soon?

I hate playing devils advocate in this thread. I'm not too surprised, about two years ago the hospital I'm working at completely eliminated the position of transporter, nursing buses their own folks around here. As for "orderly", the closest position to that I can think of is Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) and as the name implies, requires schooling.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm putting that off for now. Tomorrow I have an employment fair. And I have to contact the FSA. I applied for student loan consolidation, but know I have to re-apply because I'm unemployed now. Wednesday I have an interview with McDonald's. After weeks of calling and applying twice. I'm serous: I got the run-around from McDonald's. Eh well, I've finally got an interview. Woo-hoo!

Why the hell are you putting this off? You've been putting it off since I originally suggested it months ago! The job fair is not going to take you all drat day and it won't take all day for you to contact the FSA, either.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Benny the Snake posted:

Wednesday I have an interview with McDonald's. After weeks of calling and applying twice. I'm serous: I got the run-around from McDonald's. Eh well, I've finally got an interview. Woo-hoo!

This thread should have a trigger warning for people prone to massive depressive episodes when faced with the grimmest aspects of the human experience.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Benny, one day you and I are going to find those English professors who gave you passing marks and beat the poo poo out of them. It's the justice you deserve.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Travel to job fair, an hour.
Time spent there, 2 hours.
Travel home, an hour.
Time spent on the loan stuff, an hour.

That's six hours. You still have two hours of working day tomorrow to fill. That's plenty of time to hit up the department of labour, united way and goodwill. Give each 40 minutes of your time.

That trip's only 30 minutes each way and you only spent an hour at the fair? Even more time to play with.

You spent a ton of time today pissing around at home doing nothing? Have a 10 hour day to make up for it, even more time to hit them up.

edit: Actually, most jobs also include at least an hour commute in total, so lets say you have an hour at each of the three even... Given that we'll discard half hour each way of the commute to the job fair as "working day".

Masonity fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 23, 2013

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Why do you need to consolidate your student loans? How much do you owe, and what types of loans are they?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Dude you're getting passed up at fry cook at MickeyD's for a 16 year old with acne and a date next Saturday he wants to pay for at ChiChi's.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dr. Lariat posted:

I hate playing devils advocate in this thread. I'm not too surprised, about two years ago the hospital I'm working at completely eliminated the position of transporter, nursing buses their own folks around here. As for "orderly", the closest position to that I can think of is Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) and as the name implies, requires schooling.

Thanks for the info on this. I guess my small local hospital is better funded, then. How can it possibly be cost-effective to have nurses transport patients rather than entry-level folks? So confused. Or even having CNAs do floor cleanup or stockroom stuff. That just seems wasteful.

"Orderly" at my local hospital is now called "Patient Care Associate", I am way out of touch. :shame:

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 23, 2013

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
Benny, post your daily routine. In fact, you should be posting an hourly breakdown.

Treat being unemployed as a full time job. Get up at 6 (or so), work out, do your early morning stuff. Job hunt from 8-12. Take an hour lunch. Job hunt from 1-6. In the evening review your calendar, update your resume to target specific jobs, manage your email. Relax for an hour or so then go to bed early. Rinse and repeat.

Welcome to the real world.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

Thanks for the info on this. I guess my small local hospital is better funded, then. How can it possibly be cost-effective to have nurses transport patients rather than entry-level folks? So confused. Or even having CNAs do floor cleanup or stockroom stuff. That just seems wasteful.

"Orderly" at my local hospital is now called "Patient Care Associate", I am way out of touch. :shame:

I don't have great answers to a lot of this aside from saying it is a for-profit hospital and I stopped being surprised/appalled at corner cutting here after my first year. I know that despite massive healthcare reimbursement cuts in this state (Good ol Az) we are still well into the black every quarter but Admin ain't letting that stop them from awesome morale boosting decisions such as "the cafeteria does not serve dinner sat/sun, all you 2nd shifters and guests/visitors can get hosed."

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Toriori posted:

They're probably an equal opportunity employer and therefore trying to "diversify" their staff if they don't have any/many girls. That or they really don't want to hire Benny.
No it's the former. They use girls on the register and guys in the kitchen. I've been to two different locations and it's a constant.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Masonity posted:

Travel to job fair, an hour.
Time spent there, 2 hours.
Travel home, an hour.
Time spent on the loan stuff, an hour.

That's six hours. You still have two hours of working day tomorrow to fill. That's plenty of time to hit up the department of labour, united way and goodwill. Give each 40 minutes of your time.

That trip's only 30 minutes each way and you only spent an hour at the fair? Even more time to play with.

You spent a ton of time today pissing around at home doing nothing? Have a 10 hour day to make up for it, even more time to hit them up.

edit: Actually, most jobs also include at least an hour commute in total, so lets say you have an hour at each of the three even... Given that we'll discard half hour each way of the commute to the job fair as "working day".

:hfive:

What are you doing with your days, Benny? Why didn't you call those agencies today?

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Benny the Snake posted:

Dude it's italics when the book title is typed, underlined when written by hand. Can you please go back to school and get a degree in something else?

edit:

Benny the Snake posted:

I looked it up-it's italicized in typing after all. I've been taught this whole time to underline.

Like, for realsies, go learn something new, because the education you got from your degree was subpar if this was actually what various professors said.

(Or they might have been teaching you the right things but somehow you managed to tune them out. That could be the case too!)

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 23, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ern Malley posted:

Dude it's italics when the book title is typed, underlined when written by hand. Can you please go back to school and get a degree in something else?
I looked it up-it's italicized in typing after all. I've been taught this whole time to underline.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 23, 2013

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

:psyduck:

How the hell does someone write (and source) the insane amount of papers required to have a degree in English and then not understand how to site a book title?

I might be a poo poo writer, but I have a degree in physics. I don't run around making algebra mistakes.

I'm not buying this "its only on the forums" crap. These mistakes should be painful to make for someone with an English degree.

I mean seriously you have a degree in "English Literature." Most of your college education was to study books. Then I would assume you wrote papers on said books.

Everyone one of your teachers probably gave a mini speech about not loving up your citations. Any website will tell you its italicized.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 23, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Seriously Benny When did you last gently caress??

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shark Attack! posted:

Benny, post your daily routine. In fact, you should be posting an hourly breakdown.

He's avoiding breaking things down in detail in the past. I think either because it's depressing or because he doesn't want to get called out for being anything but 100% efficient.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

spunkshui posted:

:psyduck:

How the hell does someone write (and source) the insane amount of papers required to have a degree in English and then not understand how to site a book title?

I might be a poo poo writer, but I have a degree in physics. I don't run around making algebra mistakes.

I'm not buying this "its only on the forums" crap. These mistakes should be painful to make for someone with an English degree.

I mean seriously you have a degree in "English Literature." Most of your college education was to study books. Then I would assume you wrote papers on said books.

Everyone one of your teachers probably gave a mini speech about not loving up your citations. Any website will tell you its italicized.

It was only in the last >5 yrs that I was taught in school that it is proper to italicize instead of quote book titles. But I am much older than Benny, so I'm not sure how much leeway he deserves.

OP, I'm thinking you should enlist, but go to officer's school or w/e so you get a(nother) degree in something completely different, more applicable to the job market. It's worth a few years of your life. Hell, maybe you'll love it and go career- full benefits for you and your family for the rest of your life.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

fork bomb posted:

It was only in the last >5 yrs that I was taught in school that it is proper to italicize instead of quote book titles. But I am much older than Benny, so I'm not sure how much leeway he deserves.

Underlines were the right way on typewriters and probably during a lot of the transition to computer, so it depends on when you last were taught about this/ had to read a stylebook.

Benny, because he wants to write for a living, should be familiar with a recent edition of a recent stylebook.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

natetimm posted:

Benny, one day you and I are going to find those English professors who gave you passing marks and beat the poo poo out of them. It's the justice you deserve.

Just sit them down and force them to try and help him get a job. That's way more brutal than a simple beating.

A small part of me holds out hope that this is all an elaborate troll, and that Benny is actually a great writer pretending to be a hapless and terrible one.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

fork bomb posted:

OP, I'm thinking you should enlist, but go to officer's school or w/e so you get a(nother) degree in something completely different, more applicable to the job market. It's worth a few years of your life. Hell, maybe you'll love it and go career- full benefits for you and your family for the rest of your life.

This is a bad idea if he immediately needs a job. Much like the regular job market, the military is swamped with applicants and they are able to pick as they see fit. It's a long process with a long line of qualified applicants. Plus, with the sequester, the military is trying to reduce the number of troops. One of the areas where they are really bloated is with the number of people who are officers.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

cda posted:

A small part of me holds out hope that this is all an elaborate troll, and that Benny is actually a great writer pretending to be a hapless and terrible one.

I think you're half right with that one.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm on the edge of my seat for the "he was the puppetmaster all along" reveal. Come on OP do it. What have you got to lose?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It's okay to have no idea what you're doing in life, E/N sees it almost every week. The issue here is you have to want to change which I'm not getting from you. Do you work out and eat healthy? I poo poo you not, drop drinking pop and eating garbage, work out 5/6 days a week as you will have so much more energy and drive to succeed.
It's really coming of that you're fine living with your family but want to complain about it while half-assing any work that slides your way- all pity jobs.
Get your act together, there's been a ton of great advice in this thread especially for you.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

At this point I'm thinking Benny should sue his college.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Benny, you should move in with that dude captain walker. Then put that poo poo on youtube. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well I'm here on campus for the Spring Quarter Career Fair. Here's the shortlist I'm printing out twenty copies of my resume and plan on passing out each and every one. I learned my mistake from the last career fair in that I have to check my biases at the door and give resumes to anything that I might have a chance at. As per kimbo305's request, I'll put post the hours of the day later on tonight. In hindsight, I really should've posted my resume here. I've had five or six different people look at it, including the career center, my academic adviser, and a few goons. I'm confident it looks good.

• Locked thread