Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why would you ever want to get rid of these two amazing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm a Nintendo fanboy and love my WiiU and all but I do agree that maybe the company needs a shakeup. Miyamoto and Iwata are great dudes, but maybe a lot of the problems are based in old thinking. Nintendo has a lot of problems with 'if it's not broke don't fix it also refuse to acknowledge it's broke'.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

This could be a thing http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/f-zero-for-wii-u/

Maybe it won't be F-Zero per se but a racing game from the guys who made the blistering Nano Assault Neo would be pretty goddamned cool.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the problem with Miyamoto in his producer role is he is always insisting on changes and tweaks of games he may not even be fully invested in. This delays the game, which is like a double delay because the team working on it is not moving on to the next project. In games he is intimately involved with as director, like Pikmin 3, this usually pays off in the form of really good product, but he does seem to go to games where it ain't broke, and insist they "fix it".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo doesn't need a shake up.

Nintendo needs patience.

E: I lack patience as well but the typical investor will jump out of a building if it means current quarter losses and waiting for high quarter gains two years down the road.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 23, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think they need a good shake up or they're hosed. No console warrior poo poo, it's the truth.

I agree with this but I'm not sure Iwata himself is the problem. I mean he's the person who steered the company into $$$ throughout the 2000s and, while it doesn't seem like a big deal in the big scheme of things cutting the 3DS price so suddenly and then having the XL be as massive an improvement as it is was definitely the right thing to do. I don't think they should get rid of Miyamoto, but as others have mentioned in this thread (especially with Sticker Star) he's not helping if he goes to game projects he's not even involved in and decides "change x to y to fix the game." This isn't any better than the infamous "studio meddling" that drastically alters many films.

As far as patience goes though, I think it's something Nintendo actually needs less of, not more. Part of the 3DS' success it that they didn't sit around waiting for sales to pick up on the $249.99 system when there were few games out, we can all see now what a mistake that would have been for the system's success. The main thing that's making the 3DS successful though is, of course, a lot of strong third party games and semi-third party stuff that Nintendo itself helps publish. This is what's needed on the Wii U. Monster Hunter and Lego City are a great start (even if I hate Monster Hunter personally) but they need to make this happen consistently like with the 3DS. With the 3DS, they have stuff like Revelations dropping ASAP and they need to get the momentum going on the Wii U with this very soon. There's very little true exclusivity these days, I was honestly surprised they didn't push to have the Wii U port of Revelations be a timed exclusive, they need to get unique stuff on their system ASAP before it's on everything, like with the upcoming Rayman Origins.

Plus let's be honest, the Wii U eShop is a joke. I love the cheap VC games just as much as everyone else and it's great that all the new games have digital versions up ASAP we can all see how anemic it is.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neo Rasa posted:

As far as patience goes though, I think it's something Nintendo actually needs less of, not more.

I see your point. I guess I mean people should be patient on doom and gloom but Nintendo needs to get its loving rear end in gear on delivering games. The third parties are clearly not going to help. Kick into gear. Don't rush the games themselves but at least let people know what they have coming to them. So what if people over-analyze pictures of Zelda 64DD, those pictures existing allowed people to get hyped up about Ocarina of Time. Let us see what's available.

If the big games were out and people weren't buying, I'd be a little afraid but I still have a feeling all three consoles will be out and people won't be buying like they used to. I think this might be bigger than Nintendo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I might be a minority amongst this crowd, but I am absolutely loving my Wii U and everything Nintendo is doing right now except for their marketing and the lack of games to appease the masses. That doesn't spell doom and gloom or the need for a big shake up to me. It says that they need to hyper focus on these couple key problems and then just run with it.

Still, I currently own 5 titles and the family and I are using the console all of the time so I already feel like I have gotten plenty of value for my dollar.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really like Nintendo, but if they only sell 47,000 Wii U's this month and 120k software titles then that has a significant impact on my ability to enjoy games. What's this I hear about Nintendo ending the year with operating income in the red? I think this is proof it's finally time that the big N moves to developing games for the iOS. We'll force Miyamoto and Iwata to perform Seppuku for the shame they have brought to Nintendo for not going software only and developing on all platforms years ago.

Blah blah Wii U is a bad name, blah blah advertising, blah armchair analysis.

wiiudiscussion.txt

This is the worst thread in games, 90% of the posts are poo poo posts and passive aggressive attempts to start the same arguing over and over. If you think i'm wrong, look at the vita thread where they can have discussion without 15-20 reminders every page about how the vita is doing poorly.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

This is the worst thread in games, 90% of the posts are poo poo posts and passive aggressive attempts to start the same arguing over and over. If you think i'm wrong, look at the vita thread where they can have discussion without 15-20 reminders every page about how the vita is doing poorly.
Can we add this to the OP?

Edit:
I'm really sick of it, can't we try to have some fun instead? Let's talk about how cool VC will be in a few days, dream of what amazing games Nintendo might show at E3 or at the very least repeat the jokes about playing Wii U while on the pooper.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

katkillad2 posted:

:negative:

That sounds pretty nice. Do they go like two, maybe three pages before someone posts Bloomberg numbers and how horrible it means? The grass looks so green...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thread score would disagree with you and your shitpost.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Vita actually has games to talk about :shrug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

:negative:

That sounds pretty nice. Do they go like two, maybe three pages before someone posts Bloomberg numbers and how horrible it means? The grass looks so green...

No one posts any numbers and I'd say maybe once in 50 pages does Vita's future ever actually come up. The rest of the time its "hey check out this cool game" or "hey I bought a game want to talk about it?". I think the worst that's happened there recently is a friendly, cordial discussion about AMOLED screen marks while playing in very dark rooms. The only time I'd say it gets really bad is whenever Sony Japan has some kind of event and people get angry and confused because they expected some kind of American AAA exclusive wundergame, and the last time that happened was... January?

It makes me wonder if Sony isn't bullshitting on their "86% of people who bought one are happy with it" statistic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It makes me wonder if Sony isn't bullshitting on their "86% of people who bought one are happy with it" statistic.

To be fair, they're dealing with a small sample size. :smug:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crowbear posted:

The Vita actually has games to talk about :shrug:

This is what I was going to say. The Vita might not be popular among people here, but it has quite a few games that are worth playing and a pretty decent backlog due to the PS store.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vita owners have just moved onto the "acceptance" phase. :v:

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I wish I could filter out the certified financial analysts now. At least this thread is thriving though - unlike the Wii U :downsowned:

There's still games from launch that interest me that I've not had time to get yet, and I'm enjoying what I've purchased so far. Personally, I'm not bothered that things are kind of slow. Anyway, Wii Panorama View is coming out soon so there's your system-seller. Don't worry.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If there's one thing I've noticed about this thread and why it's so "bad" is that it seems like no one here really seems to talk about Wii U games very often. These games do exist, and there's news right there at your fingertips. If you aren't talking about games or a new feature or something, then you're probably just gonna turn around and have the 59th discussion about armchair analyzing Wii U sales, why Michael Pachter is a hack, Virtual Console succession, or why region locking is Literally Hitler.

Like hey, here's one. Splinter Cell: Blacklist got a new trailer featuring the GamePad's functionality. Did someone post this earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCTP9dmdVXU

And here's an article about Project CARS' features on Wii U and how it won't be "crappy" and a confirmation that the new Rayman Legends Challenges is coming out this week. These took me like 1 minute to find and I don't think anyone's talked about this stuff. Maybe you're mad that Splinter Cell has become more casual and fervently jingoistic? Or maybe you're excited for a real racing game on Wii U? Or maybe you just want another chance to bitch about Ubisoft making Rayman Legends multiplatform? There's a lot right there.

Seriously, be the thread you want to read. Just find news and post it!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I might be a minority amongst this crowd, but I am absolutely loving my Wii U and everything Nintendo is doing right now except for their marketing and the lack of games to appease the masses. That doesn't spell doom and gloom or the need for a big shake up to me. It says that they need to hyper focus on these couple key problems and then just run with it.

Still, I currently own 5 titles and the family and I are using the console all of the time so I already feel like I have gotten plenty of value for my dollar.

I'm with you. I really like the Wii U. I think the lack of games is a valid complaint but ZombiU, NSMBU and MH3U are some of the best games I've played in the past 6 months. I plan on getting Lego City after everyone gave it a glowing review. I also really like the controller and am genuinely excited for games that are coming out soon. The WiiU has problems but nintendo made strides on at least a couple so far and are probably still working on issues behind the scenes.

Its anecdotal but most of my friends who got the wu like it. I just think the regular posters in this thread react to bad news a little strongly.

I also don't know where my regular TV controller is and use the WiiU pad for TV constantly.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 23, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

katkillad2 posted:

It doesn't help that any time people start actually talking about games, they are told to take it to another thread about that specific game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

And here's an article about Project CARS' features on Wii U and how it won't be "crappy" and a confirmation that the new Rayman Legends Challenges is coming out this week. These took me like 1 minute to find and I don't think anyone's talked about this stuff. Maybe you're mad that Splinter Cell has become more casual and fervently jingoistic? Or maybe you're excited for a real racing game on Wii U? Or maybe you just want another chance to bitch about Ubisoft making Rayman Legends multiplatform? There's a lot right there.

Seriously, be the thread you want to read. Just find news and post it!

A lot of great news come from wiiudaily.com, one of the best places to read about upcoming projects and industry buzz. I never played Road Rash but this new one in development looks pretty fun, even if it's an eshop addition http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/road-redemption-wii-u/

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I also don't know where my regular TV controller is and use the WiiU pad for TV constantly.

It might just be the controller settings but every time I try to shut off my TV with the Gamepad, it really just resets it. Turns on and right back on. Otherwise yeah my TV remote just sits unless I want to turn the TV off.

The Wii U is just incredible when it comes to watching Netflix or YouTube. Watching YT on the browser is so much better than a computer. No need to push any extra buttons to full screen. When it's full screened and showing, you can still use the Gamepad to browse what you want to watch next and you just hit play when you want it to get going. The control features on the original video goto the top of the screen so it isn't hard to stop the video if you need to. There's nothing like it as far as I know. I use two screens for my computer and it doesn't compare. Then Netflix, I can't tell you how much easier it is to browse movies with the touch screen instead of a controller. Just being able to lounge in bed and if I want to goto bed soon, I flip the movie to the Gamepad and watch it there instead. I'm sure some people will complain about battery life but my cord reaches so I really don't worry.

I don't know if people are happy with TVii or whatever but as an entertainment piece it's loving wonderful. As for games, I'm just waiting for that Y cable to show up so I can finally play The Cave. After that I might pick up Lego.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It might just be the controller settings but every time I try to shut off my TV with the Gamepad, it really just resets it. Turns on and right back on. Otherwise yeah my TV remote just sits unless I want to turn the TV off.

The Wii U is just incredible when it comes to watching Netflix or YouTube. Watching YT on the browser is so much better than a computer. No need to push any extra buttons to full screen. When it's full screened and showing, you can still use the Gamepad to browse what you want to watch next and you just hit play when you want it to get going. The control features on the original video goto the top of the screen so it isn't hard to stop the video if you need to. There's nothing like it as far as I know. I use two screens for my computer and it doesn't compare. Then Netflix, I can't tell you how much easier it is to browse movies with the touch screen instead of a controller. Just being able to lounge in bed and if I want to goto bed soon, I flip the movie to the Gamepad and watch it there instead. I'm sure some people will complain about battery life but my cord reaches so I really don't worry.

I don't know if people are happy with TVii or whatever but as an entertainment piece it's loving wonderful. As for games, I'm just waiting for that Y cable to show up so I can finally play The Cave. After that I might pick up Lego.

I havent had that problem with my TV. Thats odd as heck, you could probably call Nintendo and see what the deal is.

I bought The Cave. It was ok... The Cave itself was charming as poo poo but the actual gameplay to me was just-ok. It didn't feel like a really challenging puzzle. Then near the end I encounted a pretty big glitch that prevented me from finishing it... so I just kind of didn't.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It might just be the controller settings but every time I try to shut off my TV with the Gamepad, it really just resets it. Turns on and right back on.

This problem strikes me as odd as well. Have you looked to see if others with your model are having the same issue?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't know if people are happy with TVii or whatever but as an entertainment piece it's loving wonderful.

I can't seem to get TVii to work for some reason. I have Uverse but whenever I try to use TVii to change one of the channels it sets my TV input to the standard coaxial cable input alone with the channel I selected instead of the HDMI that my Uverse box is hooked up to. I have no idea how to fix this. :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

This problem strikes me as odd as well. Have you looked to see if others with your model are having the same issue?

Honestly I just put up with it. I don't throw tantrums when things don't go my way, I just find ways to deal with it. gently caress it took me like two months before finally getting help on my hard drive. I was just going to go buy a new one. I'll probably try resetting the remote.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Watching YT on the browser is so much better than a computer.

Speaking of the YouTube app, I've had a series of really bizarre errors with it over the last day or so. It consistently fails to properly update to whichever channel I'm trying to view. For example, I'll be on my favorites, and if I switch over to another channel and try to view stuff there, it continuously only shows the first video I was watching. When I switch to a new video it shows the name and preview images, but it still is going through the playlist I was previously on. It's also frozen my system the last six times I've exited the app. Kinda weirding me out because I never had these issues before.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly I just put up with it. I don't throw tantrums when things don't go my way, I just find ways to deal with it. gently caress it took me like two months before finally getting help on my hard drive. I was just going to go buy a new one. I'll probably try resetting the remote.

So computer help level one, have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Pull the cord out of the back, turn it back on, resync the gamepad.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I like Conviction so I'll get Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I think the reason no one is talking about it is that it doesn't come out until the end of August-- four months from now.

Also the posts complaining about posts complaining about the Wii U are just as bad as posts complaining about the Wii U. At least the latter are on topic.

There'd be more to talk about if games were out. I think the only retail release for the entire month was Injustice, and a version that's apparently lacking online lobby features from the other versions. The Wii did get Pandora's Tower and a shovelware UK singing game.

Things should start looking brighter once we get into Summer and Fall with Pikmin 3, Blacklist, Assassin's Creed 4, Watchdogs, etc. But April HAS been a real bummer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

So computer help level one, have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Pull the cord out of the back, turn it back on, resync the gamepad.

That I have.

Just figured it out. As I thought. It was on Type 2 and it should have been on Type 3.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

I can't seem to get TVii to work for some reason. I have Uverse but whenever I try to use TVii to change one of the channels it sets my TV input to the standard coaxial cable input alone with the channel I selected instead of the HDMI that my Uverse box is hooked up to. I have no idea how to fix this. :(

The input button just moves you forward one input, it didn't remember which one want. Or are you saying inputting an actual number also changes your TV input?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

The input button just moves you forward one input, it didn't remember which one want. Or are you saying inputting an actual number also changes your TV input?

I am talking about inputting an actual channel number into the TVii GUI (see link below). For example, my TV will be set to the HDMI port that my Wii U is plugged into, I will access TVii and bring up the GUI which looks like a regular television remote (not the one that comes up when pressing the TV button on the gamepad), and I will enter a channel number. That switches my TV's input to the one which is associated to my coaxial cable and changes the channel to whatever I entered into the Wii U. I am probably just being dumb and doing it wrong. How do you guys change channels using TVii?

GUI

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Huh, I know the remote interface you're talking about. Mine doesn't change any input. The IR signal the TVii software thinks your box needs must just be hideously close to the signal your brand of TV has for a command to switch inputs. I'm guessing it doesn't happen with the TV button because it has a more limited set of commands.

What about when you just click a show and "watch now", same thing?

Try pointing away from the TV. My TV requires almost a direct line to get input from the gamepad, but my cable box receives it no matter where I point. Maybe if you point the opposite direction or perpendicular to your TV the box will get the signal but your TV will miss it.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Zen Pinball 2 is free? How did I not know this? That's awesome!

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I've just remembered there's a guy on Miiverse called 'Wii U news' who posts bulletins of all kinds of Wii U related news. He seems to do 2 or 3 a day. Everyone should add him to their follow list.

[EDIT] His NNID is Folkloner.

Balcony fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 23, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Xavier434 posted:

You're not alone. I'm perfectly satisfied with mine, and I'm super excited for the VC launch this week, and the eventual release of Earthbound.

Granted... I don't actually play the thing that much, but that's just because my 3DS has utterly consumed my free time as of late. I consider this a mark in the 3DS's favor, rather than one against the Wii U. I also haven't picked up Lego City yet for the same reason...

Maybe once the system update hits we'll have more positive things to talk about? Maybe?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I thought you had to pay for the boards on Zen Pinball?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Balcony posted:

I've just remembered there's a guy on Miiverse called 'wiiU news' who posts bulletins of all kinds of Wii U related news. He seems to do 2 or 3 a day. Everyone should add him to their follow list.

What's his network ID? No spaces in a network ID.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Zen Pinball 2 is free? How did I not know this? That's awesome!

Free in the loosest definition of the word. It's more like a trial. All tables can be trialed, but you have to buy the packs or individual tables from the eshop. The purchase system is a bit of a ballache, but what I have downloaded so far is really good, especially with off-TV play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I thought you had to pay for the boards on Zen Pinball?

Yeah the base game/"platform" is free but the boards are all DLC.

• Locked thread