Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ensign_Ricky posted:

For those who haven't added it to their collection, Jurassic Park is reduced to $1.99 for a limited time. And why exactly haven't you seen that riff yet? Because it's easily top ten material.

Going to grab that since I actually have the blu-rays for Jurassic Park so I can finally listen to this rifftrax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'm not the only one who put the Jurassic Park riff on his iPod, so he could go watch the 3D re-release, right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SpaceGodzilla posted:

They riffed Lost and Grey's Anatomy.
I don't think a GoT rifftrax would be that good though.

They also did the first two eps of Heroes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm finally getting around to watching The Guy From Harlem. I'm about 10 minutes in and I have no idea what in the hell I'm watching :psyboom:

It's so very, very strange. Viva Knievel! and Cool As Ice make complete sense in comparison.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching The Guy From Harlem. I'm about 10 minutes in and I have no idea what in the hell I'm watching :psyboom:

It's so very, very strange. Viva Knievel! and Cool As Ice make complete sense in comparison.

At least in your comparison you cited TWO THINGS!

I'm really sorry, but Harry is probably my favorite VOD character of all loving time.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NEW VOD!

"The Apple"
http://www.rifftrax.com/#ooid=B1ZjJ4YTr0KtEkU28Eua_Nvt8a_BZBMn

http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/apple

quote:

The year was 1980 and one trend was sweeping America! No, not that animated dancing cat from the Paula Abdul video. We admire you thinking outside the box, but jeez, you were off by like nine years. Reign it in a bit. We were talking about the nationwide fad of really crappy musicals!

Yes, 1980 brought us Xanadu, The Village People’s Can’t Stop the Music and of course the crown* jewel of them all: The Apple. Because what we needed at the start of Reagan’s America was the book of Genesis set to music.

The Apple tells the story of Alphie and Bibi, a pair of sweetheart musicians from Canada who make the Osmonds look like GG Allin. Alphie’s vaguely foreign-y accent and resemblance to sensei John Kreese do nothing to slow them down as they ascend the ladder to stardom. Of course, they have a little assistance from Mr. Boogalow of the sinister BIM Corporation, which is at times a record company, an oppressive totalitarian regime and the producer of a reality singing TV show (listed in order from least despicable to most.) Forgot the name BIM already? Do not worry, there is a solid ten minutes of the movie where people shout it at you while doing aerobics.

It looks insane...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It looks ~*magical*~ :swoon:

"I am the Archangel of Paunch!"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

I actually watched this just a few weeks ago, but I forgot most of it because not only is it terrible it's just banal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know how you watch these movies on MST3K/Rifftrax, and you have to wonder if the people who made them were actually familiar with the [i]concept/i] of a movie?

I'm watching The Apple and now I'm wondering if these people had ever heard music before either.

e: This guy needs to pick an accent and commit.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 16, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
God drat it Rifftrax I just gave you money and payday is next week! Stop coming out with awesome VODs! <:mad:>

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Locutus of Bald posted:

I'm not the only one who put the Jurassic Park riff on his iPod, so he could go watch the 3D re-release, right?

This is actually brilliant. Is this the first time a movie has been in wide release with a riff available?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A lot of theaters have played The Matrix, and Star Wars 1 and Raiders of the Lost Ark were re-released last year.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Also Titanic, I believe.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
There was also a one-week Top Gun 3D release in IMAX.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

Evil Mastermind posted:

you have to wonder if the people who made them were actually familiar with the [i]concept/i] of a movie?

How dare you besmirch the name of Menahem Golan!

(seriously, take a look at his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324875/ man produced a ridiculous number of movies, just couldn't direct worth poo poo)

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 17, 2013

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

StopMakingSense posted:

(seriously, take a look at his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324875/ man produced a ridiculous number of movies, just couldn't direct worth poo poo)

Dude, no one on Earth should ever even attempt to defend Golan/Globus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Messenger of Death is kind of good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Without them there would never have been Lifeforce, so I respectfully disagree.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
B-B-But the nice Jewish landlady....

That "movie" was a toughie. The rapture was indescribably awesome though.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

Probably Infected posted:

The rapture was indescribably awesome though.

I was in a packed theater for it's main first revival showings in LA at the a midnight movie night in 2003, and over 90% of us hadn't seen the film before. The response in the theater to that was incredible. Everyone just drat gobsmacked from the moment the gold cadillac descended from the sky on.

Fun random fact: The Apple was choreographed by Nigel Lithgoe, creator of Pop Idol/American Idol and Dancing with the Stars

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 17, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StopMakingSense posted:

Fun random fact: The Apple was choreographed by Nigel Lithgoe, creator of Pop Idol/American Idol and Dancing with the Stars

And is there a reason he hasn't been indicted for terrorism yet?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The Apple is just a MESS. Apparently it was low budget, but looks like a lot of money was spent on it, so that's... something, I guess.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

The Apple is just a MESS. Apparently it was low budget, but looks like a lot of money was spent on it, so that's... something, I guess.

It looks like a lot of money was spent on cocaine on the set.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I've shown "The Apple" to a lot of people at this point, and my view on the Rifftrax (which I just finished watching) is that its good, it just seems redundant for a movie that's this unintentionally hilarious on its own (kind of how some of you felt about "The Room"). And in case you were wondering, the hippie commune scenes were supposed to be much longer; they had an extra song and everything that was cut at the last minute. It's why Alife suddenly has a beard between cuts. I don't think it makes the rapture stuff any less jarring though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching The Apple now. Gotta say, I've really been digging their choices for movies to riff lately for the VODs. They're all bizarre as hell, this one included.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Have you ever seen 52 Pick Up with Roy Scheider? The Bukowski film Barfly?

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is divisive but there are people who love it (like myself) and Rob Zombie's entire film career has been one long attempt to remake it. Lifeforce is full of naked space vampires.

The Van Damme films? For pure cheese the American Ninja films?

All Golan-Globus, all good.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Two words: Superman IV

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sword of the Valiant and Masters of the Universe are pretty much the best movies.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just watched this based on the trailer for this on Everything Is Terrible and really want to see the Rifftrax guys do this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgAeGUD2FU
perfect 80s cheese. It makes FutureForce look like a boardroom drama by comparison.

StopMakingSense posted:

I love this anecdote that Nathan Rabin had when interviewing Margot Kidder about Golan:

quote:

And then he tried to cheat people, as Menahem will do. There was some lawsuit going on where he’d taken some American ship that he’d rented, shot it full of holes for a movie, returned it full of holes, and said it had been shot up in one of the many Palestinian-Israeli skirmishes.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/golantastic-case-file-166-the-forbidden-dance,42849/

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Superman IV debacle was pretty crazy. Basically Golan-Globus got the rights to make a new Superman movie and got Reeve to come back by promising to let him produce a pet project. They used this combination to secure a fairly large budget, which they then proceeded to raid to fund other movies.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
They certainly didn't spend any of it on writing. On the other hand, they managed to beat the one of the worst James Bond movies to the punch by making Rupert Murdoch the bad guy first.

EDIT: Hell Superman IV is amazing in it's own way, especially how Warner Bros. dumped the whole film series when 3 didn't make double what it cost.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The highlight of Golan Globus was the final day of shooting Masters of the Universe. They had initially budgeted this huge climactic battle, but G-G went bankrupt the day before, so the final scene is He-Man fighting Skeletor, in a recycled old costume, in a dark room standing in front of a lighting color wheel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd love to see them do Death Wish 3, 4 and 5. There is so much material in them, and I imagine the rights to 5 aren't too expensive. Charles Bronson gets older and older and his love interests get younger and younger.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Fifteen minutes into The Apple and I'm nostalgic for Xanadu.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I'm thinking that "BIM's on the way" was a placeholder line for when better lyrics were written, but no one ever got around to it, and so they went with what they had.

What they had was, of course, "BIM's on the way." A lot.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RagingBoner posted:

I'm thinking that "BIM's on the way" was a placeholder line for when better lyrics were written, but no one ever got around to it, and so they went with what they had.

What they had was, of course, "BIM's on the way." A lot.

Better Intro Music.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
New VOD!

Kingdom of the Spiders, starring William Shatner

quote:

Captain Kirk. T.J. Hooker. Twilight Zone plane guy. Johnny Legal (presumably his name on Boston Legal, didn’t bother to check).The Dad Who Says Sh*t. All great characters, sure, but William Shatner will always be best known for one role, and one role alone: RACK. Rural veterinary doctor Robert “Rack” Hansen, of course, he of the inexplicable nickname, fondness for cowboy hats, and habit of hitting on his brother’s widow by saying he’d like to “milk her.” A lesser man would’ve stopped with Rack, his legacy complete. Such a great, internationally beloved part, it’s a testament to Shatner’s skill as an actor that he’s escaped its shadow, the Kingdom of the Spiders conventions and catchphrases and reboots, and become known for more than just Rack. RACK. Rack. No seriously, he has people call him Rack and he thinks he’s a sexy cowboy. Rack.

Animals and people are dying of spider venom in Rack’s sleepy Arizona town, and when he and a foxy out-of-towner discover a gigantic hill of venomous spiders on a local farm they somehow don’t immediately make the connection, burn it down, and end the movie. What unfolds is a creeping, ridiculous, town-destroying horror, packed with more real live tarantulas than the basement home of that spooky pale guy who sold drugs outside your high school.

Rack up, put on your spider-stompiest shoes, and join Mike, Bill, and Kevin in the Kingdom of the Spiders!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Shatner means insta-buy!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
RiffTrax and Shatner? Be still my beating heart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah I am loading this on my phone and watching at work tommorow.

• Locked thread