Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
:siren:Exciting sales alert:siren:: Books 1-4 of the Gamebook Adventure games have gone from $6 to $3!! That's a 50% sale!

Do you like Choosing Your Own Adventure? Do you like watching your iDevice roll a shitload of dice? Do you losing the game because you didn't collect the right MacGuffin an hour ago? Well then these are the gamebooks for you!

Seriously though, they are pretty fun and I like them a lot better than the "Choice of" series of games as far as CYOAs go.

Edit: Oh right, a link: http://appshopper.com/search/?cat=&platform=all&device=all&sort=rel&dir=asc&search=gamebook+adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
What's the best asynch chess app?

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

bunnielab posted:

I really am enjoying the hell out of it. I do have a question, what determines when my little war wagon stops moving forward? Some times it seems to stop out of range of my flame gun things.

The distance is measured from Rigo to the target (at least that is what I recall)

Detailed Explanation
Measuring from Rigo to target might seem non intuitive because the Rigo does not shoot. We couldn't measure from guns, because it was too hard to find a reliable way to decided which guns to exclude from the calculation. Using the Rigo means the crew might not make the 'best' choice. However, it means the results will be predictable so the player has the clearest control over the the results.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
Crabitron ( http://www.crabitron.com ) rules and it's a travesty that it's selling so poorly. If they're lucky they might hit 5 figures before their game sinks into oblivion.

"All you have to do to succeed on the app store is to make a great game and charge a fair price for it, you guys" -- Some rear end in a top hat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well you guys doing the freemium thing are partly to blame, since the market expects everything free with IAP now and isn't willing to pay up front. Plus $5 is a little steep for the game, it would have probably made more money at $.99.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you guys doing the freemium thing are partly to blame, since the market expects everything free with IAP now and isn't willing to pay up front.

How dare you freemium people want to make money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, but when they help create the atmosphere for the market they can't complain when traditionally priced games don't succeed...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah as sad is it is to say, I don't buy anything on iOS for $5+ unless it's getting rave reviews on here for a long time. There's just so much out there, I can probably have more fun playing 5 99 cent games than I can that one $5 game, not to mention all the free games.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

M42 posted:

Are there any good offline/single person poker games, preferably ones not loaded with IAP?

From a few pages back:

Trustworthy posted:

I'm not big into poker, but I settled on Theta Poker as my go-to hold 'em game. It's single player only, and it's not pretty, but tons of poker people seem to think it's great and has awesome AI or algorithms or some poo poo. And there are lots of complicated options/stats to mess with.

I tried Theta out following Trustworthy's recommendation and it's pretty good. Graphically simple but the poker seems solid. No IAP. Has a career mode (win at satellite events to bankroll buy-ins at bigger tables) or a custom mode where you can set it to be a ring game or simple tourney.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Making money when making games has never been only about making a good game (although that certainly helps)
Anybody who says otherwise is naive.
The world is littered with poo poo games that did very well financially, and good (or even great) games that lost money.

Hell just off-hand I can think of one of my favourite games of all time that was the last hurrah of a studio that closed shortly after it came out.

I wish quality 100% mapped over to success but it's sadly only one piece of the puzzle.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Juc66 posted:

Making money when making games has never been only about making a good game (although that certainly helps)
Anybody who says otherwise is naive.
The world is littered with poo poo games that did very well financially, and good (or even great) games that lost money.

Hell just off-hand I can think of one of my favourite games of all time that was the last hurrah of a studio that closed shortly after it came out.

I wish quality 100% mapped over to success but it's sadly only one piece of the puzzle.

Yup.

See: all the minecraft clones.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Especially on iOS.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bottom Liner posted:

No, but when they help create the atmosphere for the market they can't complain when traditionally priced games don't succeed...
So their/our choices are to take a principled stand and starve, or to make F2P games out of necessity but never bitch about the market Apple has created that forces such?

Tell us more, almighty market sage. :allears:

(this isn't a "sign of the times" or anything that the current market analysts are claiming, this is very much due to how Apple has structured their discovery methods and storefront. It unfortunately got way worse probably halfway through Crabitron's development. Plenty of other markets don't work the same way, Apple's just happy with the profits they get from it the way it is / tweak it to be / they really don't care about "good games" so much as just an active ecosystem.)

... the real pisser is that I could see Crabitron doing famously as a F2P Endless, uh, Crabber, but that just wasn't the game they designed. Maybe they'll add IAPs, tweak it, and try that route? Though it would take another prominent Apple featuring to really sell it. The lack of Phone/Touch support would also make it dang hard to reach critical mass. Hrm :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2013

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'll buy a game for 5 bucks without thinking about it twice, the only problem is that Crabitron, judging by gameplay videos and the control scheme, doesn't really appeal to me at all.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I feel like I might sound like an rear end in a top hat asking this, but legitimate question: Assuming a game has no server costs, what reason is there to not charge 99 cents for a non-freemium game at this point? Would they not sell more than five times as much than if their game was $5?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Juc66 posted:

I'm curious what this is. A situation like that that stands out for me was Pandemic with The Saboteur

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I feel like I might sound like an rear end in a top hat asking this, but legitimate question: Assuming a game has no server costs, what reason is there to not charge 99 cents for a non-freemium game at this point? Would they not sell more than five times as much than if their game was $5?

"It depends."

A pretty decent article on app store pricing http://jury.me/blog/2013/3/31/understanding-app-store-pricing-part-1 It's geared towards non-games, but it's pretty interesting if you're not privy to actual sales data.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
On the Crabitron debate, it got mentioned here earlier, but it's worth saying again that it does have IAP. From what I understand, there's a $3 coin doubler and a $5 coin tripler. They said they did it essentially as a way to give people who wanted to contribute more to them a way to do so, and I believe that's probably the case. From the comments I've read by the devs, it does seem like they had the best intentions with it and tried to design away from balancing in favor of the doubler/tripler. But I've seen some kneejerk reactions (warranted or not) to the effect of "Five bucks AND it has coin doubler IAP? No way." So I don't think it's a great metric to say "premium games won't sell" nor to say "IAP is the devil" since they tried to do an in-between thing that may have backfired.

Also worth mentioning it's iPad-only. I can understand why, I don't think this would work on iPhone, but that does limit the audience compared to a universal app.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'll buy a game for 5 bucks without thinking about it twice, the only problem is that Crabitron, judging by gameplay videos and the control scheme, doesn't really appeal to me at all.

I have to agree. I don't have an iPad, but I can't see that being anything less than extremely frustrating to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shalinor posted:

So their/our choices are to take a principled stand and starve, or to make F2P games out of necessity but never bitch about the market Apple has created that forces such?

Tell us more, almighty market sage. :allears:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. My point is, you guys more than anyone know why Crabitron isn't succeeding, so why are you all so up in arms about it? They made bad choices with the pricing model and they're paying the price. Noone would pay $3 for Canabalt these days, for instance.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 23, 2013

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Mystery 3rd option - Don't be raging dicks on the forums about it pretending to not know why this is happening. They can bitch all they want, but it doesn't make them anything more than hypocrites who blame gamers or other forums goers when you're much more responsible for contributing to this atmosphere than we are.

Goon iOS developers and toucharcade owners have always had a wonderful bite-the-hand-that-feeds-them predilection. They will take people's money hand over foot, but man, gently caress those people, am I right?

They of course are going to choose this route over not making money, but they still deserve to be called out for being assholes when they post snarky rear end poo poo here about it trying to stir up old arguments.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 23, 2013

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

rogue wave posted:

Mystery 3rd option - Don't be raging dicks on the forums about it pretending to not know why this is happening. They can bitch all they want, but it doesn't make them anything more than hypocrites who blame gamers or other forums goers when you're much more responsible for contributing to this atmosphere than we are.

Goon iOS developers and toucharcade owners have always had a wonderful bite-the-hand-that-feeds-them predilection. They will take people's money hand over foot, but man, gently caress those people, am I right?

They of course are going to choose this route over not making money, but they still deserve to be called out for being assholes when they post snarky rear end poo poo here about it trying to stir up old arguments.

Snarky rear end poo poo is what fuels this thread though. Sorry for ruining video games for everyone with our blind ambition to stay in business :(

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm curious what this is. A situation like that that stands out for me was Pandemic with The Saboteur

Oddly enough, I was actually working on the BioWare side of BioWare/Pandemic when we were sold to EA, and while more or less true, that connection didn't cross my mind.

I was talking about Wizardry 8 and Sirtech.
Sirtech had made some fairly good games, Jagged Alliance and the Wizardry series are what stands out, but they couldn't get a proper publisher due to various situations (including their own publishing branch being closed a few years earlier), and went bankrupt as they released wizardry 8.

even trying to purchase wizardry 8 was difficult. I remember at the time my only method to buy it was to go to gamestop and get a low-rent box with paper sleeves containing the cds.

But still wizardry 8, super awesome game, at least in my opinion.

There's a lot that goes into making a game profitable, and the crabitron guys unfortunately seem to have not gotten the mix right on this release.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Snarky rear end poo poo is what fuels this thread though. Sorry for ruining video games for everyone with our blind ambition to stay in business :(:fh:

What, baby? I'd never say that poo poo about you. I was talking about some other egomaniacal prick. :tipshat:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

rogue wave posted:

I don't think anyone's saying "gently caress users." One person made a snarky comment directed at the other people that typically make snarky "gently caress IAP" comments. Then a dude got angry at him. Then I said my piece / "developers are allowed to have opinions independent of market forces". Then you got angry.

Users want cheap games, and tons of value for their dollar. Nobody (I hope?) is faulting them for that. People are just bitching about the market being such that a cool game like Crabitron is going under. It's certainly not the consumer's job to prop up premium games when their entertainment dollar goes a lot further in the bunches of other options out there.

Basically,

eeenmachine posted:

Snarky rear end poo poo is what fuels this thread

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 23, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

iron_weasel posted:

The distance is measured from Rigo to the target (at least that is what I recall)

Detailed Explanation
Measuring from Rigo to target might seem non intuitive because the Rigo does not shoot. We couldn't measure from guns, because it was too hard to find a reliable way to decided which guns to exclude from the calculation. Using the Rigo means the crew might not make the 'best' choice. However, it means the results will be predictable so the player has the clearest control over the the results.

Well, he is driving after all. But what I meant is, why does he stop moving forward at a certain point? I want to be able to ram poo poo. I also want like a free play obstacle course to mess around with builds in. And multiplayer. And more elaborate/realistic build mechanic, sick of jerks with these spindly looking wagons kicking my rear end.

Really love this game so far, if I could ram it and Crimson Steam Pirates together I wouLd never need another game

Edit: to add to the price debate, there are so many lovely rear end iOS games out there that I will not even buy a $.99 game unless it either has a free demo or gets insane reviews. But even with good reviews I am a ton less likely to buy without a demo. So many of the new styles of games don't appeal to me that I end up deleting almost all the ones i installs without playing more than 5-10m of them.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 23, 2013

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I was of course fueling the thread with my own snark, but I was never angry, just to be clear. I just want my Star Command :(

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

rogue wave posted:

I was of course fueling the thread with my own snark, but I was never angry, just to be clear. I just want my Star Command :(

didn't star command come out?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I paid for Crabitron within seconds of waking up. I still had gunk in my eyes. I did not hesitate to give them 5 bucks. I had, easily, a lunch that nearly tripled that cost. I think 5 dollars is a fair price for even a simple game if it is good. That said, all of Crabitron's good will and whimsy and awesomeness is squandered with a poor control scheme that sort of wrecks the entire point and/or makes your wrists hurt.

So do I want them to go out of business? Heck no. Quite the opposite. That said, I'm not sure I agree that Crabitron *should* be making millions in sales. I wouldn't want any game with fundamentally bad controls to get such positive encouragement from an industry standpoint.

Now, of course, they COULD figure out a way to make the controls better whereby my hands aren't blocking 66.66% of the screen or more... and then, maybe they deserve to roll around in moneypiles. But it's probably too late at that point, even if they do bother, right? I mean, it's such a fickle marketplace. The hypest game on the planet that people have salivated over for a year is OLD loving NEWS a week later.

[edit]

I take it all back. I just swatted my own eye off. Game of the Year. Take all the moneys!

(seriously though, I laughed... but the controls kill it.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 23, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

EDIT: ^^ Honestly, even if the controls were perfect, the "iPad only" thing alone would probably have doomed it. It's in that premium bracket, and the game has a lot of polish, but what it "is" is more of a goofy gimmick toilet game - and that crowd's mostly on phones, and has plenty of solid 99c/free options. Even the iPad crew might think twice about playing virtual crab on the toilet with an iPad draped across both legs.

rogue wave posted:

Kinda figured, excuse my boring wet blanket / "let's move on" posting :(

... and, I really want to like Star Command, but everything I hear about it lately makes me want it less and less. I really, really hope it doesn't suck.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 23, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo, Kepa! They stole your Punchy boss Fist guy from Punch Quest!!! hahah...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its really hard to enjoy games when their developers are here being assholes all the time. Guess the loving joke's on me, I already bought the stupid red gems. :downs:

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: ^^ Honestly, even if the controls were perfect, the "iPad only" thing alone would probably have doomed it. It's in that premium bracket, and the game has a lot of polish, but what it "is" is more of a goofy gimmick toilet game - and that crowd's mostly on phones, and has plenty of solid 99c/free options. Even the iPad crew might think twice about playing virtual crab on the toilet with an iPad draped across both legs.

Kinda figured, excuse my boring wet blanket / "let's move on" posting :(

... and, I really want to like Star Command, but everything I hear about it lately makes me want it less and less. I really, really hope it doesn't suck.

Me too..... me too. I feel like it's destined to suck dick - sigh. I should just play FTL on my macbook and be happy to have that for now.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you guys doing the freemium thing are partly to blame, since the market expects everything free with IAP now and isn't willing to pay up front. Plus $5 is a little steep for the game, it would have probably made more money at $.99.

99 cents is actually terrible. The expectation is that Crabitron would sell over 5x as many copies if they put their prices down to 1/5th of the amount. This isn't necessarily the case. Maybe $3 would have been better? Maybe. Who knows.

Most of my games are $3. A big reason for me trying free was this thread and the TA forum. There's a lot of general agonizing over a well reviewed game that costs $3, but people will at least download a turd as long as it's free. Can't really blame the players, either, it's just how the App Store is set up as a system. There's a big drive towards free games, so you can get on the most devices. The hope is discoverability due to sheer size of word of mouth. This in turn causes a huge drive to make timer-based no-skill-required games that can be played by anyone. It's goofy to blame developers for this.

Also not sure if the pricing model really is Crabitron's problem. I think there's a bigger issue in that it's getting harder and harder to make it on the App Store, at any price, unless you have a ton of help or an established presence. I was making fun of recent games whose developers said "WELL JUST MAKE A GOOD PAID GAME", when they also had unbelievable amounts of press, Editor's Choice, etc.

I've been wanting to make a Zelda style game, and the lowest I'd want to charge for it would be $5. Waiting for a good recent example of a game at that price point making it. Sworcery sold for that amount, but they also had amounts of press that I can't even imagine, including a 2 (3?) year press campaign before the game was out. $3-4 seems to be the agreed upon maximum game price allowed for mortal game developers, unless you're Square-Enix, and this really sucks.

Feenix posted:

Holy poo poo, Kepa! They stole your Punchy boss Fist guy from Punch Quest!!! hahah...

I'll sue their asses (yeah we're going to put a crab boss in Punch Quest when we have time)

FTL talk: From what I've seen it's kinda enjoyable if you take it on its own merits? Which is asking a lot, because it's not a game that's going to be sold on its own merits. It's going to be sold on all its hype and anticipation and two Kickstarters and all the surrounding spectacle.

Edit: Oh god I meant Star Command... they'll be forever intertwined in my brain as a Goofus/Gallant sorta Kickstarter moral

Kepa fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 23, 2013

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

rogue wave posted:

Hint: It's going to be terrible.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

^^^^^ You shut your whore mouth!

(I'm sure it will suck too......gently caress).

I assume you meant Star Command, not FTL, which is already established as gold.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I buy tons of $5 - $10 games for my iPad and I'm happy to contribute to experiences like Year Walk.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Just picked up Crabitron, and the controls seem fine to me on the iPad mini. Games fun and cute as hell

The only problems I've had at all are when my claws get tangled up, which may just be an annoying feature

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'd buy Crabitron, except like others have said, it doesn't look enjoyable to me. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If Crabitron could use a front facing camera to track my hands (kinect style) I'd buy it. :colbert:

I might look nuts making pincer motions in the air, but it would be worth it.

• Locked thread