Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, so they drove it for how many metres without the rifle falling off?

Only a few blocks. Like, a third of a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

jalopybrown posted:

I still don't understand the tinfoil 'where is the blood?' argument when the photo of the injured shows a big patch of blood in the direction his legs would have faced, do they think he should have been flying around on blood jets like Tokyo Gore Police?

No wreckage at the pentagon, no blood at the finish line.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If only the billions of military dollars could go into making a lawgiver pistol to avoid such future problems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm guessing that rifle wasn't precariously hanging off the edge of the trunk the entire time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, so they drove it for how many metres without the rifle falling off?

I've made it surprisingly far with a cup of coffee on my car roof.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Huh; the area that the shootout and final arrest happened is less than half a mile north of me, which was just a street or two across from the place where I previously lived with a crazy cat lady (briefly, as she was crazy). But it just hit me that if Petey lives in that area, then we live really close. I should drive over and be all "hey I'm from the internet" and the awkwardness should theoretically keep his mind off of other bad things.

e: I would not actually do this

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2013

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

A sad postscript to all of the online indictments of random, innocent people:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crackpipe posted:

I hope his recent publicity didn't set him over the edge.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Dusseldorf posted:

I hope his recent publicity didn't set him over the edge.
If it is indeed him then he's likely been dead for over a month.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Crackpipe posted:

:smith: I was hoping things would turn out okay for him. I guess they didn't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wario In Real Life posted:

Well if his time of death was after the bombings it's going to set the conspiracy theorists (more) off the hook. Also if he's been dead a month then the coroner has some serious identifying to do.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So the guy who they kidnapped said that he was picked up by one brother and then they went and picked up the other. Who was picked up first?

Also pretty odd they had a bb gun on them. If they had time to prepare you would think they would have better weapons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dusseldorf posted:

Well if his time of death was after the bombings it's going to set the conspiracy theorists (more) off the hook. Also if he's been dead a month then the coroner has some serious identifying to do.

If it's after the bombings it should set anyone with empathy and a soul off the hook. I can't imagine how horrible it must've been for his parents. Their son goes missing, they look for him for a month, then a bunch of people tell them he is responsible for a horrible terrorist attack. They might even have been watching and listening to the same stuff we were, imagining their son in a firefight and on the run after killing a cop. And now he's dead. :(

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
^ I think they knew by that point that it wasn't their son. The Tsarnaev brothers' pictures had been released.

Still pretty awful for the family.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/us/boston-marathon-bombing-developments.html?pagewanted=2 posted:

“[Tamerlan] was looking for connections between the wars in the Middle East and oppression of Muslim population around the globe,” Mr. Khozhugov said in an e-mail. “It was very hard to argue with him on themes somehow connected to religion. On the other hand he did not hate Christians. He respected their faith. Never said anything bad about other religions. But he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion.”

Well, problem solved, dude.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is it some sort of reverse psychology????

Maybe all oppressed races and religions should just feed into negative stereotypes, that'll shed them of that image once and for all.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Joementum posted:

Well, problem solved, dude.

Dzhokhar expressed a similar sentiment:

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Did anybody post the article about the wife yet? Yeesh.

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/feds-ask-interview-wife-suspected-bomber

quote:

NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. (AP) — Katherine Russell was a talented artist, a good student who grew up Christian, the daughter of a suburban doctor.

Then she went off to college in Boston.

A few years later, she had dropped out of school, converted to Islam and was Katherine Tsarnaeva, wife of a man who would become a suspect in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings and a subject of one of the biggest manhunts in American history.

Tsarnaeva's lawyer said she had no reason to suspect her husband of anything and was focused on supporting her family, working 70 to 80 hours, seven days a week as a home health care aide. Her husband cared for their daughter when she was away, Deluca said.

But Anne Kilzer, a Belmont, Mass., resident who went with her daughters to the Tsarnaev home to get facials from Tamerlan Tsarnaev's mother, said when she visited the apartment Tsarnaeva was always there with the baby and her mother-in-law.

Kilzer, who had not been to the home since around Labor Day, when the mother told her she was leaving the country, described Tamerlan Tsarnaev as surly and intimidating and painted his wife as cowed and intimidated by him.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Sir John Falstaff posted:

My understanding was that it required somewhat more sophisticated testing than what you'd get in a standard autopsy, but I do hope researchers will be able to get his brain.
I don't know how the system in Massachusetts works, but generally the collection of forensic neuropathology samples would be pretty cursory and mostly limited to sampling of specific brain structures or grossly abnormal areas unless there was a history of neurologic disorder or a neurologic process was suspected as a cause of death. Given the nature of the case, I'd suspect that the autopsy was extremely thorough with regards to Tsarnaev's injuries, but that neurologic tissue samples probably weren't high priority. In any case, the brain would not be available to researchers unless specifically authorized by Tsarnaev's next of kin.

EDIT: Actually, after reviewing the timeline of events, it is certainly possible that the medical examiners were aware of his history and may have saved Tsarnaev's brain for more detailed neuropathologic examination, especially if they were contacted early by the two researchers mentioned in the article.

Axolotl fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crackpipe posted:

Poor Sunny. At least his family gets closure now.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Crackpipe posted:

Noooo :(

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)

Harminoff posted:

Also pretty odd they had a bb gun on them. If they had time to prepare you would think they would have better weapons.

Yeah their preparation was . . . scattershot I guess. But there are plenty of people who know absolutely nothing about guns and might be willing to believe a BB gun was something dangerous if it was pointed at them. Why not throw it into the mix as a means of intimidating people, if you're scrambling around at the last minute?

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crackpipe posted:

Poor guy. I feel so terrible for the family. This is the shittiest month. :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah it's really weird that almost all their family and friends think that dzhokhar was set up. Only one who doesn't is the uncle. Some friends didn't even know he had an older brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jX8vkRNy_w

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 24, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Yeah it's really weird that almost all their family and friends think that dzhokhar was set up. Only one who doesn't is the uncle. Some friends didn't even know he had an older brother.

I don't think it's that weird, as far as they knew he seemed like a normal and well adjusted guy and that's obviously hard to reconcile with the news. It's pretty understandable that some of them would be in denial.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Crackpipe posted:

Ugh. Not surprising, depressed college students who disappear with the note "goodbye cruel world" are pretty obviously at risk of imminent suicide, but that's terrible to hear for his family. :smith:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm seeing a lot of Republican politicians saying they "find it hard to believe" the two brothers weren't acting in coordination with foreign groups, despite all the evidence so far indicating they acted alone. Is the mainstream GOP preparing to go down the conspiracy road?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

beatlegs posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Republican politicians saying they "find it hard to believe" the two brothers weren't acting in coordination with foreign groups, despite all the evidence so far indicating they acted alone. Is the mainstream GOP preparing to go down the conspiracy road?

Preparing? They've practically drawn-up the map.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wario In Real Life posted:

Yeah, it's kinda lovely we only find out about it now.

India Point is a park in Providence, so he didn't travel very far.

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Yeah their preparation was . . . scattershot I guess. But there are plenty of people who know absolutely nothing about guns and might be willing to believe a BB gun was something dangerous if it was pointed at them. Why not throw it into the mix as a means of intimidating people, if you're scrambling around at the last minute?

It makes me wonder if the BB gun in question is a BB pistol, an air rifle like your Red Ryder BB guns, or an airsoft gun that can look like a real military firearm.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 24, 2013

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm pretty convinced that Tamerlan murdered his best friend and the other dudes, too, given the circumstances of the murders.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

beatlegs posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say "conspiracy" in terms of tin foilery. But they definitely want to latch it on to a more global cause because it absolutely furthers their agenda. Just two guys acting alone can't go much further than "well...that loving sucks."

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
He thought he got away with murder and escalated to bombing the public? Sheesh.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Tamerlan murdered his best friend and the other dudes, too, given the circumstances of the murders.

I'm not buying that 3 young men (at least one of whom was fit and had martial arts training) are just going to stand around and let you slit their throats so if Tamerlan was responsible for the murders, it seems unlikely he acted alone.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

beatlegs posted:

Two dudes conspiring to blow poo poo up is already an actual conspiracy. I think they just hate the idea that two shitheads are able to pull things like this off without a major group to blame and declare war (or double war?) against. Their constituents like tough words and promises of revenge.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Quick, legitimate question: if someone commits a heinous act, and points to a media source for the reasoning behind that incident, can the media figure be charged?

Let's say the bombers came out and said the reason why they set off those bombs was because Glenn Beck and Alex Jones preached that the United States government was out to get everyone, or something. Could Beck and Jones face charges?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Not unless there was proof that they expected the act to happen, which means no.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Quick, legitimate question: if someone commits a heinous act, and points to a media source for the reasoning behind that incident, can the media figure be charged?

Let's say the bombers came out and said the reason why they set off those bombs was because Glenn Beck and Alex Jones preached that the United States government was out to get everyone, or something. Could Beck and Jones face charges?

Not unless they made specific targeted threats.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

IANAL, but no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio

Wikipedia posted:

The Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is directed to inciting, and is likely to incite, imminent lawless action.

Basically "I sure hate the US Government" is fine, but "I sure hate the US Government and it is your duty to go out and blow poo poo up right now" is not.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Okay. So, since they have to have specific targeted threats, could right-wing media have faced any kind of charge for the death of someone like George Tiller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Of course not. Quit being dumb.

• Locked thread