Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cowslips Warren posted:

Will try to contact HR, but that's like pulling teeth. Everything is online and the box marked for percentage, when filled out with 5, indicates I need to type out the money withdrawal, not a direct percent.

Is gross pay per month or per paycheck?
The following applies to my pay stub, it could be different on yours:

gross pay = (hourly rate * hours) + any extra bonuses
net pay = gross pay - taxes - deductions
total pay = net pay + expense reimbursements

I could not guess if the box on your form is "gross pay per month" or "gross pay per paycheck". Sorry but there isn't really a standard. Helping you is the HR person's job, make them do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curved
Jan 4, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

Will you have $7k more next year? If not and it's a one time deal, you might want to consider putting $5,500 in the Roth IRA this year and save the rest for next year.

That makes sense, will do that. Thanks!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So my grandmother just gave me $1000 to put into a Roth IRA. I've set up one through Merril Edge (I apologize if that was a dumb idea, I chose them because of easy connection to my BofA account) but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing--I assume I need to buy some sort of stock, but I have no idea where to start. Scanning the thread, it looks like putting money into index funds are the way to go, but I guess there's usually a minimum amount that one needs to buy?

I really have no idea what I'm doing. Money is not my thing.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Minimum for vanguard target retirement fund is 1000. Do you have an emergency fund?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did, but I've been using it up due to the fact that I'm currently unemployed.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Frontline did a nice little segment on 401ks and retirement. Not exactly shocking info for anyone who's been reading a lot, but still pretty good. It also has Jack Bogle.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Speaking of emergency funds, if I make, say, 40k a year, what's a reasonable emergency fund amount to build up?

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of emergency funds, if I make, say, 40k a year, what's a reasonable emergency fund amount to build up?

What are your monthly costs? I think general rule of thumb is have a 6 month safety net.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

lelandjs posted:

Then you probably shouldn't put this money into a roth, you should fund your emergency fund. But assuming you want to do what your grandmother wishes, you should open a new account at Vanguard (it's not hard!) and just choose a Target Retirement fund to stick your money into. Then read up on investing and reallocate the money when you're ready.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'm about to rebalance everything, and I think I have a good plan, but want to get some outside feedback.

and I'm planning on using these funds
code:
funds available for 401k
SPTN 500 INDEX INST	large cap stock	FXSIX	0.05(expense ratio)
SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV	mid-cap stock	FSEVX	0.07
SPTN INTL INDEX ADV	intl stock	FSIVX	0.17
SPTN US BOND IDX IS	bond 		FXSTX	0.07

funds available for roth and taxable accounts
Total Bond		bond		VBTLX	0.10
International Stock	intl stock	VTIAX	0.16
Total Stock Market	us stock	VTSAX	0.05
Small-Cap Value		small value	VSIAX	0.10
REIT Index Fund		reit		VGSLX	0.10
Going from advice on http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Principles_of_Tax-Efficient_Fund_Placement it makes sense to have the bods in the tax advantaged accounts, but my main question is is having the taxable account only stocks a good idea?

Pardot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 24, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Pardot posted:

I'm about to rebalance everything, and I think I have a good plan, but want to get some outside feedback.

and I'm planning on using these funds
code:
SPTN 500 INDEX INST	large cap stock	FXSIX	0.05
SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV	mid-cap stock	FSEVX	0.07
SPTN INTL INDEX ADV	intl stock	FSIVX	0.17
SPTN US BOND IDX IS	bond 		FXSTX	0.07

roth and taxable
Total Bond		bond		VBTLX	0.10
International Stock	intl stock	VTIAX	0.16
Total Stock Market	us stock	VTSAX	0.05
Small-Cap Value		small value	VSIAX	0.10
REIT Index Fund		reit		VGSLX	0.10
Going from advice on http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Principles_of_Tax-Efficient_Fund_Placement it makes sense to have the bods in the tax advantaged accounts, but my main question is is having the taxable account only stocks a good idea?
Roth also isn't taxable, so I'm not sure what is being held taxable and what isn't. But yeah, the taxable account should be only stocks.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

gvibes posted:

Roth also isn't taxable, so I'm not sure what is being held taxable and what isn't. But yeah, the taxable account should be only stocks.

Sorry, those were the expense ratios not the percentage in those funds, I just listed those to show what funds I was planning on using.

gvibes posted:

But yeah, the taxable account should be only stocks.
. Thanks

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I have a question about the rollover of 401Ks from my old job.

My new job gives me a Vanguard account (with a pretty pathetic employer match, but I have a pension plan) and I'm wondering if I should roll my TRowe 401K and TSP (federal employee 401K) into my Vanguard, convert them into an IRA or keep them where they are. About 2/3rds of the contributions to the accounts were made as Roth contributions, the rest were standard pre-tax contributions. I really like the investment options with Vanguard, there's a lot more variety and I was able to finally get some portion of my portfolio into areas that weren't available to me before. My main worry with rolling over is how to do it without accidentally incurring withdraw penalties or other pitfalls. I've been putting money into these accounts for the last 3 years and I'm now in my mid-20s if that helps at all.

edit: One more question: at what income/age level does it make sense to flip from Roth to Traditional contributions?

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 24, 2013

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

lelandjs posted:

Keep in mind that you can't legally fund a Roth IRA with any more than your earned income for the year. So if you plan on depositing that $1,000 in a Roth, you would need to have earned at least that much.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

flowinprose posted:

Keep in mind that you can't legally fund a Roth IRA with any more than your earned income for the year. So if you plan on depositing that $1,000 in a Roth, you would need to have earned at least that much.

Don't worry, I have every intention on getting a job before the year's up.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

axeil posted:

My new job gives me a Vanguard account (with a pretty pathetic employer match, but I have a pension plan) and I'm wondering if I should roll my TRowe 401K and TSP (federal employee 401K) into my Vanguard, convert them into an IRA or keep them where they are. About 2/3rds of the contributions to the accounts were made as Roth contributions, the rest were standard pre-tax contributions. I really like the investment options with Vanguard, there's a lot more variety and I was able to finally get some portion of my portfolio into areas that weren't available to me before. My main worry with rolling over is how to do it without accidentally incurring withdraw penalties or other pitfalls. I've been putting money into these accounts for the last 3 years and I'm now in my mid-20s if that helps at all.

edit: One more question: at what income/age level does it make sense to flip from Roth to Traditional contributions?

Whether or not to roll over to an IRA or 401k depends on your possible investment options and fees. Vanguard, to be honest, is pretty good. Check to see the fees/expense ratios of your investment options to determine which is the best idea.

On the subject of Roth/Traditional, it depends on whether or not you predict your tax bracket will be higher or lower when you want to withdraw the contributions. If higher, a Roth is a good idea. If lower, then traditional is (usually, with some caveats) a good idea.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You have until tax day next year to contribute to your Roth IRA so just use the money to live off of.

When you get a job, then you can contribute. The important thing isn't getting your money in ASAP so it can grow throughout the year, but to max out your yearly contribution.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

axeil posted:

You should pretty much always get your money out of an old 401k. The only issues I see with a rollover is people just completely ignoring the multiple warnings saying "don't cash this check."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harry posted:

You should pretty much always get your money out of an old 401k. The only issues I see with a rollover is people just completely ignoring the multiple warnings saying "don't cash this check."

Will there be any issues with the accounting for the Roth/Traditional breakdown? My old employer said I'd be getting a huge book on this stuff eventually from TRowe and the TSP but I want to make sure I'm well-versed in the basics before I start reading all the details.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Harry posted:

You should pretty much always get your money out of an old 401k.

If I'm happy with the funds in my 401k is there still a good reason to roll it over to an IRA?

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
With the TSP, you get access to the G fund, which I don't entirely understand as I've never had access to it so never learned. People who have access tell me it's the greatest bond fund, so you should look into that and possibly leave your TSP in place so you can do all your bond investing into it. Here is a link. http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/G_Fund something about long term bond yields with short term volatility, so it sounds good.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

axeil posted:

Will there be any issues with the accounting for the Roth/Traditional breakdown? My old employer said I'd be getting a huge book on this stuff eventually from TRowe and the TSP but I want to make sure I'm well-versed in the basics before I start reading all the details.

You will have two accounts wherever you end up rolling your money over to. One for the Traditional, one for the Roth. You will probably have to fill out some form from your existing 401k and TSP providers directing them where to transfer your money. Just call up your IRA provider and they can walk you through the process.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Is there a good goto savings account for mid-term savings? I got my retirement stuff squared away and I want to set up a savings account for the inevitable house/newcar/vacation/cool purchases. Right now I have all my cash knocking around in my checking account and I'd like to put it to work even if its a pitiful return. What banks are best for this? Ally? CIT? American express? smartypig? (what?)

Or should I say gently caress it and drop it into index funds in my trading account and hope the market doesn't bomb this year like we think it will? :shepface:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Is there a good goto savings account for mid-term savings? I got my retirement stuff squared away and I want to set up a savings account for the inevitable house/newcar/vacation/cool purchases. Right now I have all my cash knocking around in my checking account and I'd like to put it to work even if its a pitiful return. What banks are best for this? Ally? CIT? American express? smartypig? (what?)

Or should I say gently caress it and drop it into index funds in my trading account and hope the market doesn't bomb this year like we think it will? :shepface:

It depends on how long it will take until you expect to buy a house. Regardless, what you need to do is to establish an asset allocation specifically for the non-retirement money that you have available for buying a house. This could be something conservative, depending on how soon you expect to buy. The key three types of investments are: stocks, bonds, cash/money market. The latter is extremely safe and is basically an investment in things like the treasuries and interest. Bonds are somewhat safe, but a bit more volatile than cash. Stocks have the greatest risk.

Here is an example. It may not be the one you want, since you need to determine your allocation based on your own risk tolerance.

10% Vanguard Total Stock Fund
5% Vangaurd International Stock Fund
40% Vangaurd Total Bond Fund
45% Monkey Market

floppo
Aug 24, 2005
Background
Assets: 10,000$ in savings or low-risk, liquid positions
No debts, dependents, liabilities.

I am a US citizen but live in a small eastern European (non-Eurozone, but in the EU) country and earn about 22,000 USD a year (subject to FX) before tax. Local taxes take that down to about 14,000 USD. I can save about 500$ a month. My employer gives another 4% a month into a local private retirement fund. This is not much and I won't be able to touch it for years (if the government doesn't just take it anyway).

I've just inherited $150,000 (after taxes and administration) and I would like to start saving for retirement, assuming that I never see any of the public or private retirement money from the country I'm living in.

My situation is complicated because I have little idea where I will be living in the future. I might move to western Europe or the US next year, or I might stay here for the rest of my life. Anything could happen. To that end I think it is especially important to be wise with this money.

I'm well under the overseas income tax exemption and therefore have no taxable income in the US. Are there any retirement savings options available to me that would shield me from tax liabilities that my investments my earn along the way? I plan to open an account at Vanguard and create a very standard, middle of the road long term portfolio.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

ntan1 posted:

It depends on how long it will take until you expect to buy a house. Regardless, what you need to do is to establish an asset allocation specifically for the non-retirement money that you have available for buying a house. This could be something conservative, depending on how soon you expect to buy. The key three types of investments are: stocks, bonds, cash/money market. The latter is extremely safe and is basically an investment in things like the treasuries and interest. Bonds are somewhat safe, but a bit more volatile than cash. Stocks have the greatest risk.

Here is an example. It may not be the one you want, since you need to determine your allocation based on your own risk tolerance.

10% Vanguard Total Stock Fund
5% Vangaurd International Stock Fund
40% Vangaurd Total Bond Fund
45% Monkey Market

Sorry, I mean a lot more short term, I dont actually plan to buy a house for a long long time (non monetary reasons) so its more just a better place to park my money than a checking account. I currently run fidelity for a lot of my trading and roth IRA accounts, would you recommend I find a similar breakout like above with fidelity type funds or just open a vanguard account? Is this more preferable to a savings account on the mid-short term? (few years?)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Sorry, I mean a lot more short term, I dont actually plan to buy a house for a long long time (non monetary reasons) so its more just a better place to park my money than a checking account. I currently run fidelity for a lot of my trading and roth IRA accounts, would you recommend I find a similar breakout like above with fidelity type funds or just open a vanguard account? Is this more preferable to a savings account on the mid-short term? (few years?)

The reason I usually recommend vanguard instead of fidelity is because Vanguard's expense ratios on their mutual funds are significantly lower than Fidelity's numbers (No I do not work for Vanguard). If you're talking 5 years+, then a breakdown as I've indicated may work. Again, this depends on your risk, ie. whether or not you'd be willing to delay a housing purchase for 2 years, how much you're willing to let numbers drop if we have a few bad years, etc.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

ntan1 posted:

The reason I usually recommend vanguard instead of fidelity is because Vanguard's expense ratios on their mutual funds are significantly lower than Fidelity's numbers (No I do not work for Vanguard).

This is not actually true anymore. Fidelity's index funds are pretty much the cheapest index funds out there. And their selection has expanded quite a bit. That said, I still like it when people choose Vanguard just because they have been so investor friendly for so long and have such a long track record of low cost.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

floppo posted:

Background
Assets: 10,000$ in savings or low-risk, liquid positions
No debts, dependents, liabilities.

I am a US citizen but live in a small eastern European (non-Eurozone, but in the EU) country and earn about 22,000 USD a year (subject to FX) before tax. Local taxes take that down to about 14,000 USD. I can save about 500$ a month. My employer gives another 4% a month into a local private retirement fund. This is not much and I won't be able to touch it for years (if the government doesn't just take it anyway).

I've just inherited $150,000 (after taxes and administration) and I would like to start saving for retirement, assuming that I never see any of the public or private retirement money from the country I'm living in.

My situation is complicated because I have little idea where I will be living in the future. I might move to western Europe or the US next year, or I might stay here for the rest of my life. Anything could happen. To that end I think it is especially important to be wise with this money.

I'm well under the overseas income tax exemption and therefore have no taxable income in the US. Are there any retirement savings options available to me that would shield me from tax liabilities that my investments my earn along the way? I plan to open an account at Vanguard and create a very standard, middle of the road long term portfolio.

I'm in a similar position to you (except for the large inheritance). My money is split between a Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund and a Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (need to save up a bit in order to get enough to meet the minimum for a bond fund) as that is supposedly more tax-advantageous when compared to just throwing it into a Target Retirement Fund. I will owe taxes on any gains/dividends, but since my Earned Income is effectively $0 in the US, the money my investments make don't cause me to pay any taxes. I guess they could (and with $150k invested probably would) and when I sell, I think I might owe taxes on the gains I've made, but for now, it's working OK.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2013

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

80k posted:

This is not actually true anymore. Fidelity's index funds are pretty much the cheapest index funds out there. And their selection has expanded quite a bit. That said, I still like it when people choose Vanguard just because they have been so investor friendly for so long and have such a long track record of low cost.

Fidelity® Total Bond Fund: 0.45%
Vanguard Total Bond Fund: 0.22%

As an example.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

ntan1 posted:

Fidelity® Total Bond Fund: 0.45%
Vanguard Total Bond Fund: 0.22%

As an example.

I said that Fidelity INDEX funds are all the cheapest out there, not their managed funds.

Their low minimum index funds are in the 0.2% expense ratio range. There 10k minimum index funds are in the 0.1% expense ratio range. These are identical to Vanguard investor and admiral share expense ratios, respectively.

Edit: In general, you will find that the Fidelity index funds are often cheaper than the Vanguard index funds by a very tiny amount. They actually cap the expense ratios to be cheapest in class. I am not a fidelity fan, and I don't like that this is true, but it is.

80k fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2013

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Good point. I guess they finally did drop their expense ratios

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think the area where Vanguard still comes out ahead on expenses is the Target Retirement/Freedom-type funds. Just comparing Freedom 2045 to TR 2045, Freedom is at .76% while TR is at .18%

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Harry posted:

Frontline did a nice little segment on 401ks and retirement. Not exactly shocking info for anyone who's been reading a lot, but still pretty good. It also has Jack Bogle.

That frontline is pretty great, if only because it gives you a chance to watch fund managers squirm like hell when asked why they push inferior products with high management expenses.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
This is a spreadsheet of my current savings account (UK, hence references to ISAs). I'm about to get another approx 66% of the current value of the portfolio moving into this account in the next few weeks and I'm not sure where to put it. For reference, the funds will only be able to go into ISA-eligible funds that I can access through the HSBC platform (a subset of the list here: https://investments.hsbc.co.uk/funds )

Anyone have any ideas? I'm 24, happy to take on risk as I'm not going to need any of this day-to-day for the forseeable future (i.e. next 10 years). We could assume that this is saving for a house or other undetermined, large £££ cost event. I can add approximately 33% of the current portfolio value per year as that's extra to my ongoing expenses, provided I stay in this job.

This isn't my pension, which is in a different fund altogether.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

tentish klown posted:

This is a spreadsheet of my current savings account (UK, hence references to ISAs). I'm about to get another approx 66% of the current value of the portfolio moving into this account in the next few weeks and I'm not sure where to put it.

What are your expense ratios? The funds look like the expense ratios would be extremely high.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

ntan1 posted:

What are your expense ratios? The funds look like the expense ratios would be extremely high.

They're high:
1.68, 1.72, 1.94, 1.78, 1.68 respectively for the live funds. However, apart from the China fund I've been looking for high risk, high volatility funds where the expense ratio ought to be less of a factor, given the volatility. Or am I thinking about this wrong? I can see from reading through the thread that here everyone seems to rate expense ratios higher than pretty much anything, regardless of what the fund is or what its goals are. I'm looking at this in a bit more depth than the 'x% equities, y% debt, z% money markets/FX' model that seems to be common...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Over the long-term, highly managed funds tend to under-perform passively managed index funds and cost you a lot more in expense fees for the privilege.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Harry posted:

I'm in this thread because of that Frontline. I'm a recent college grad that just got laid off from his first "real" job. I also just received 3000 dollars as a graduation present. I have a decent amount of savings besides the grad present but I have deep mistrust of financiers so I have not invested anything previously. Vanguard seems right up my alley, but with only 3k to invest, I'm not sure which index fund would suit me best. What should I read if I'm specifically interested in index investing?

EDIT: I'm Canadian, I have no debts and I could probably survive on EI and my savings for at least three months without a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If your current savings buffer is only 3 months, I'd hold off on investing until you're gainfully employed and then invest. You never know how long you might be unemployed.

This is a decent enough start about index investing: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Indexing

You can peruse that site endlessly. There's also a lot to read on Vanguard's website.