Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
iOS games are a lovely, lovely market to be highly-priced in. Just look at the New & Noteworthy category Crabitron is featured in:

Cut the Rope, Ninja Turtles, and Wizard of Oz Temple Run are all big name brands, and are all cheaper than Crabitron ($3, $2, $1 respectively). Bookworm is a pretty big name in the casual market, and it's free. Crabitron, the unknown app that all the iPhone owners will never see and doesn't show up on desktop iTunes unless you click the "iPad" button is the most expensive game on the list and 2nd most expensive app. Anyone looking to try a game out on a whim will look somewhere else first. If they buy one of them, they probably won't be looking for another app until the list is updated.

The only thing more expensive, by the way, is an app based on a book that had a radio play featuring Orson Wells, a movie by Alfred Hitchcock, and a recent West End/Broadway show that won both Tony and Olivier awards. If you haven't heard of it, you're not the target market.

That said, it looks cool as hell. I probably won't buy it, though, because I have tons of games I still haven't played yet, and this thread keeps telling me about other good games that I can get for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

xzzy posted:

If Crabitron could use a front facing camera to track my hands (kinect style) I'd buy it. :colbert:

I might look nuts making pincer motions in the air, but it would be worth it.

I would buy an iPad for that.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Now we're cooking with gas. Maybe I could also dismiss ads or premium timers by throwing up a bird at eeen.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

rogue wave posted:

Now we're cooking with gas. Maybe I could also dismiss ads or premium timers by throwing up a bird at eeen.

Your birds will only make me stronger.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I just tore apart and ate the Space Titanic. Complete with cheesy music and tiny little guy at the prow.

Buy Crabitron.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 24, 2013

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

xzzy posted:

If Crabitron could use a front facing camera to track my hands (kinect style) I'd buy it. :colbert:

I might look nuts making pincer motions in the air, but it would be worth it.

Haha I was thinking of how cool a kinect version would be the other day

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Maybe this is an extremely dumb question, but if its so hard to make money developing for iPhone, why develop for iPhone? Bear in mind I am (obviously) not a game dev, but from the outside it seems that things like desura, steam greenlight, kickstarter, or just 'self publishing' on a website with a good word-of-mouth campaign are making it easier than ever to reach a wider audience on the PC. Just look at Starbounds kickstarter-esque pre purchase scheme.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It was a goldrush after a few simple games raked in the millions (think Angry Birds), but now the market is flooded with quality titles and it's hard to differentiate or get notice but people have been working on the games for a year or more so they can't just stop.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Because it's way easier to get on iOS than on Steam.

*cough* please vote for us on Steam Greenlight...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136497027

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Davoren posted:

Maybe this is an extremely dumb question, but if its so hard to make money developing for iPhone, why develop for iPhone? Bear in mind I am (obviously) not a game dev, but from the outside it seems that things like desura, steam greenlight, kickstarter, or just 'self publishing' on a website with a good word-of-mouth campaign are making it easier than ever to reach a wider audience on the PC. Just look at Starbounds kickstarter-esque pre purchase scheme.
A lot of us are doing precisely that - either leaving mobile entirely, or switching to thinking of it as a secondary mobile entirely.

That said, there are a ton of games you just can't practically sell anywhere else. Mobile owns the casual/experimental puzzler market right now, so if those are the games you want to make (or all you've got the budget or time for), well, there you go.

... like, for instance, crabitron. That is a game you couldn't make anywhere else, outside of the Kinect.

EDIT: TRAINS.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 24, 2013

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

TRAINS

https://vine.co/v/bPvh0miU1Aj

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

TRAINS

Finally, a worthwhile link to a Vine that doesn't involve Will Sasso and lemons.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

TRAINS

Day 1 purchase take all my money :neckbeard:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TRAINS

What in the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Tell me it's real nimblebros.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Chooooo chooooooo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kepa posted:

Crabitron ( http://www.crabitron.com ) rules and it's a travesty that it's selling so poorly. If they're lucky they might hit 5 figures before their game sinks into oblivion.

"All you have to do to succeed on the app store is to make a great game and charge a fair price for it, you guys" -- Some rear end in a top hat

Did Punch Quest do alright in the end? Coz that game rules so ridiculously hard. I bought a bunch of IAP I didn't even want to communicate my love in the proper way.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

sebmojo posted:

Did Punch Quest do alright in the end? Coz that game rules so ridiculously hard. I bought a bunch of IAP I didn't even want to communicate my love in the proper way.

It did ok, it's not our worst profit game anyway. That honor goes to our 99 cent game. Made a little less than half that Mage Gauntlet has so far. Should be cool to see how much we can boost the next game, using our Punch Quest active numbers, and also the upcoming android port should help.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I just got an iPad mini and was wondering if someone could fill me in on all the iPad only games I've been missing out on all this time?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Apocron posted:

I just got an iPad mini and was wondering if someone could fill me in on all the iPad only games I've been missing out on all this time?

Dunno by iPad only if you mean this is your first apple thing or just the iPad, so I'll just say these so you cant go wrong either way. Search Nimblebit. Download those, all of them. After several months once you come off your Nimblebit high (unless Pocket Trains is a thing, in which case there's like a force multiplier there when it comes out) Rayman Run, Spacechem and Jetpack Joyride if you haven't played the later 2 anywhere else.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Dunno by iPad only if you mean this is your first apple thing or just the iPad, so I'll just say these so you cant go wrong either way. Search Nimblebit. Download those, all of them. After several months once you come off your Nimblebit high (unless Pocket Trains is a thing, in which case there's like a force multiplier there when it comes out) Rayman Run, Spacechem and Jetpack Joyride if you haven't played the later 2 anywhere else.

Pocket Trains? Come on, it's gonna be Teensy Trains.

Lil' Locomotives.

Cute Cabooses.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
No I have an iPhone so I've already played Pocket Planes, Tiny Tower, Nimble Quest, etc. so I'm looking for stuff that is iPad only and I haven't been able to play before.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Battle of the Bulge.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

TransCyberian Travellers , Pixel Pathways , Pocket Pathways, Pocket Passengers, Twittle Twacks, Tiny Trains, Tiny Tracks, Tricky Tracks, Traveling Tracks , Retro Railways, Retro Rails , Retro Railcar , Radical Railways , Minuscule Motors , Mini Motors , Mobile Motors , Mobile Monorails , Mobile Miles , Compact Choo Choo, Chugga Chugga Choo, Crazy Choochoo, Crazy Caboose, Compact Caboose, Crazy Carts, Cray Carts, Compact Carts, Cruising Carts, Cruising Cargo, Crazy Cargo, Compact Cargo, Pocket Cargo (getting loose), Tiny Cargo (looser yet), Titular Tracks, Cargo Tracks, (I need sleep), Captain Cargo, Traversing Tracks, Cargo Trains, Traveling Trains, Mobile Trains, Loose Trains, Loopy Locomotives, Loco Locomotives, Lauded Locomotives, Lazy Locomotives, Rail Rage, Rolling Rails, Rocky Rails, Radical Rails, Raging Rails, Raging Railways, Ready Rails, Rigid Rails, Rigid Railways, Trigger Trains, Track Traversals, Trigger Tracks, Tacky Tracky, Track Trials, Trial Tracks, Totally Trains, Trains 'N Tracks, Train Tracks, Train Trips, Track Trips, Trip Tracks, Trippy Tracks, Trippy Trains, Regional Rails, Regional Railways, Rail Revolt, Rail Rave, Raving Rails, Raving Railways Rocking Rails, Rocking Railways Enormous Engines , Elusive Engines

Ok I swear I'm done for now.

(my money is on Teensy Trains, but it SHOULD be Twittle Twacks)

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 24, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If it does end up being Teensy Tracks I demand that a special passenger be a Teddybear with my name and a special cargo be a box of corgis.

Traveling the country, givin' hugs where needed. Ol' Teddybear Traveler and his faithful pup, Corgo.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Pocket Trains? Come on, it's gonna be Teensy Trains.

Lil' Locomotives.

Cute Cabooses.

I was just going off of the name they had for it before the original iteration got reworked and became Pocket Planes.

But, if that's how we're gonna be, Tiny Tooters is where its at :colbert:

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Teddybear posted:

If it does end up being Teensy Tracks I demand that a special passenger be a Teddybear with my name and a special cargo be a box of corgis.

Traveling the country, givin' hugs where needed. Ol' Teddybear Traveler and his faithful pup, Corgo.

Uh can this happen no matter what it ends up being named?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
How about "Digitalized Small Train Simulation Game for iOS and Android Mobile Devices?"

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.
Pocomotives!

With the exclamation point.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Pokemotives, a train travelling game. Gotta catch em all!

Okay, I'll get my coat...

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Forums iOS Games Developer Tycoon Simulator would be a great game with Forums Economist Speculator IAP.

Imagine facing off against "I make games okay so i'm always right" vs "I took a business class once so i'm always right" AI to see which theory reigns supreme.

Get Paul Krugman's endorsement and it can be the new Madden.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Any other iPad only suggestions besides Battle of the Bulge?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Some great iPad only (or best-on-ipad) games:
- Magic 2013
- Baldur's Gate
- Little Inferno
- World of Goo
- Walking Dead
- Bastion
- GTA 3
- Ravenmark
- King of Dragon Pass

That should keep you busy for a while, and that's only going slightly into my purchase history for ios

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Apocron posted:

Crabitron and Rigonauts are the only iPad only things that have come up lately. Almost all games are universal, these days.

Maybe Bard's Tale? I think it's technically universal, but I vaguely remember it being best on iPad.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Apocron posted:

Cook Serve Delicious

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Uplink and Battle Academy are both solid iPad-only games and haven't been mentioned yet. Also Pinball Arcade/Zen Pinball are fantastic yet almost worthless on an iPhone.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/apple-store ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

No problems there though, shocker.

I dun reed gud

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 24, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

rogue wave posted:

What's wrong?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rogue wave posted:

What? That's an official Apple app if that's your beef with it.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I assumed it wasn't. Boy is there egg on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Apple Store app is great yo. Fire it up in an Apple Store and it lets you pick something up off the shelf, scan the barcode to check yourself out, then pay through iTunes without having to stand in line or flag down an employee.

• Locked thread