Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Going through Jahar's tweets from his very first post on twitter, these are the ones that seem to form a picture of his personality / worldview (or that are just creepy in hindsight):

(Oldest to most recent)

Jahar posted:

"its kind of like we're living in times where good is evil and evil is good"

"to some a hero and to others a villain, i say gently caress the others"

"a decade in america already, i want out"

"back to the home land this summer word"

"how i miss my home land #dagestan #chechnya"

"RT @PoeticJustice07 Do you ever wonder why so many rappers and brothers who get incarcerated go Muslim?"

"proud to be from #chechnya"

"freedom, we could use some of that especially where we from"

"RT @HuffingtonPost Muslim convert wins HUGE award from AT&T for discrimination http://huff.to/IBnbuq"

"i learn something new every day, knowledge is power"

"gently caress gently caress gently caress the police but #happymothersday"

"RT @IslamSpeaks I don't know of anything in this Dunya that could uplift & increase the good manners & behavior of a person the way Islam does."

"life here in the U.S is ill without a doubt but life elsewhere is surreal"

"knowledge, strength, faith, money, love and success i'm hungry for it all"

"i didn't become a lifeguard to just chill and get paid, i do it for the people, saving lives brings me joy #lifeguardoftheyear"

"RT @StunningHijab "For me to know that I am FREE from HYPOCRISY is more dear to me than the weight of the ENTIRE world in GOLD."

- Hasan Al Basree"

"love for your brother what you love for yourself"

"sons of anarchy that's that good good"

"breaking bad, that show is loving ridiculous"

"little kids bring nothing but joy into the house and a lot of noise too"

"i just might change your life #ifyourforthat"

"changed majors, boutta try to become a nurse"

"i hate when people say "poo poo just got real" with a dramatic tone and besides has your life been fake up until that point #fuckthatexpression"

"my moms tryina arrange a marriage for me aha she needs to #chillout i'll find my own honey"

"so much hate i need a ak"

"breaking bad tonight #bestshow"

"lifeguarding is so boring but so chill, at least i have the internet"

"chechen dudes holding down russia with all of their gold medals"

"Missed my first day of work today #trap I am a terrible employee"

"i wish i could apologize to the kids i bullied at a young age #iwasonsomefuckery i'm talking like first/second grade though. I've changed!"

"@therealAbdul_ boston marathon isn't a good place to smoke tho"

"my bro left these christian missionaries second guessing their own religion"

"15 billion was spent on the olympics, imagine if that money was used to feed those in need all over the world. I'm saying #endworldhunger rt"

"The value of human life ain't poo poo nowadays that's #tragic"

"Idk why it's hard for many of you to accept that 9/11 was an inside job, I mean I guess gently caress the facts y'all are some real #patriots #gethip"

"Find your place and your purpose and make a plan for the future. Occasionally be spontaneous #livelife"

"wish for your brother what you wish for yourself"

"i won't run i'll just gun you all out #thugliving"

"if you have money and you're not happy, than you must be living a pretty pathetic life"

"Don't stress it bro, light weights live longer"

"RT @xXjungaXx Warning to all ladies out there: When black ops 2 comes out don't get surprised or mad if your man is distancing himself from you."

"my dad's reaction to rap music on the radio always made me laugh #imissthatman"

"People that don't know how to apologize will be sorry one day"

"I'm from the murder capital, where they murder for capital"

"what constitutes the trap life is the pursuit of profit"

"Free Palestine"

"you guys know that the suicide rate for active duty american soldiers is at an all time high for 2012, a suicide a day, whats the #problem?"

"I kind of like religious debates, just hearing what other people believe is interesting and then crushing their beliefs with facts is fun"

"But I also like when people stand by what they believe no matter what any jerk like me says"

"it takes a lot of faith to elude hypocrisy"

"No matter where life takes me you'll still find me with a smile"

"My last tweets felt too wrong, I don't like to objectify women or judge anyone for their actions" <-- interesting because every other tweet is completely sexist / chauvinistic (I didn't bother putting them all in this list)

"Brothers at the mosque either think I'm a convert or that I'm from Algeria or Syria, just the other day a guy asked me how I came to Islam"

"I meet the most amazing people, spent the day with this Jamaican Muslim convert who shared his whole story with me, my religion is the truth"

"I don't like when people ask unnecessary questions like how are you? Why so sad? Why do you need cyanide pills?"

"Money is overrated, it's not the only thing that brings happiness, hmm what else can I say to soothe my soul before I get paid this Friday.."

"I don't argue with fools who say islam is terrorism it's not worth a thing, let an idiot remain an idiot"

"Cambridge got some real, genuinely good people but at the same time this city can be fake as gently caress just like any other town #upholdthereal "

"Breaking Bad taught me how to dispose of a corpse"

"@muftimenk but when we consider prophet Muhammad (s.a.a.w) as our role model that's when we achieve true success & a path to Jannah"

"To be honest, I don't care for those people that wanna commit suicide, your life b, do what you think will make you happy #selfishbastards"

"I got these bros that I'd take a bullet for, in the leg or the shoulder or something nothing fatal tho"

"Share the love, the knowledge and the wealth"

"Death is the destroyer of all pleasures"

"Never underestimate the rebel with a cause"

"RT @Kid_Wavyy Death is only a corner away so look alive out here"

"The efficient man is the man who thinks for himself"

"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing"

"you will have to make tough decisions today and those decisions will influence your future, hardships will arouse and yu will roll up loud"

"No one is really violent until they're with the homies"

"If you have the knowledge and the inspiration all that's left is to take action"

"Gain knowledge, get women, acquire currency #livestrong"

"Most of you are conditioned by the media"

"Ain't no love in the heart of the city, stay safe people" <-- day of the bombing

"There are people that know the truth but stay silent & there are people that speak the truth but we don't hear them cuz they're the minority"

From reading through them all, some possible impressions of Jahar:

- He seems to idolize the thug lifestyle
- Flips to being reflective/introspective often
- Thinks very little of women
- Experiences a lot of normal college student stuff
- Flips between wanting to be wealthy and that wealth is an illusion / unnecessary
- Worked as a lifeguard
- Obvious influences from his brother (or someone) about Islam / 9/11 truth
- References to missing his homeland / father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

marshmonkey posted:

Which bugs me because neither he nor his idiot brother were born in or lived in Chechnya.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Probably the most eerie one considering he read Inspire Magazine and was a pretty awful college student:

quote:

When I read it's not for fun, no fun in it all #itsfortheknowledge

For me it's the fact that he has an okay sense of humor that bugs me out the most. I guess I've always thought of terrorists and murderers as people, but I've never actually taken the step to laugh with them before. What the gently caress happened, man :(

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

Going through Jahar's tweets from his very first post on twitter, these are the ones that seem to form a picture of his personality / worldview (or that are just creepy in hindsight):

(Oldest to most recent)

- Flips between wanting to be wealthy and that wealth is an illusion / unnecessary
- Worked as a lifeguard

Other than the stuff about Islam/missing his homeland, sounds like an awful lot of normal college students, really. And even the Islam stuff is really pretty mild, and not very common. There are a few that maybe look "creepy" if viewed with 20/20 hindsight, but I think that would be true of a lot of people

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Which bugs me because neither he nor his idiot brother were born in or lived in Chechnya.

And a lot of Irish-Americans go nuts about Ireland even though they've never even visited.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That probably made it easier for him to idolize it, no personal experience to tell him that it's just like any other place.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

marshmonkey posted:

(Oldest to most recent)

- Worked as a lifeguard

My impression: "The danger with the egomaniac is always that 'underneath the apparent over-confidence and bravado lies a fragile personality', driven by 'grandiose fantasies of boundless success or power or perfect love' which cannot be fulfilled."

It's wikipedia armchair diagnosis but it fits the type very well, especially in the whole boxing thing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The romantic allure of the 'homeland' is incredibly common among people who've never been there but want to think that they are special. Just look at the cunts who blithely funded the IRA's 30 years of marathon bombings and police/postal worker assassinations based on nothing more than a nebulous idea that they were 'Irish' despite living all their lives in Boston or New York and not having the first clue about life in the 'old country'.

These two cretins were probably raised on stories about how great their parent's lives were before coming to America and how everything was better back 'home'.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 24, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It's wikipedia armchair diagnosis but it fits the type very well, especially in the whole boxing thing.

Tamerlan was the boxer. Jahar was the party kid.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Jahar just sounds like an average douchebag college student to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The romantic allure of the 'homeland' is incredibly common among people who've never been there but want to think that they are special. Just look at the cunts who blithely funded the IRA's 30 years of marathon bombings and police/postal worker assassinations based on nothing more than a nebulous idea that they were 'Irish' despite living all their lives in Boston or New York and not having the first clue about life in the 'old country'.
When they go there it probably spoils the illusion, since they find out it's just another place where people live and work, same as home.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm all too aware of appeals to emotion via some nebulous connection to a "homeland". I'm sure in the brothers' case, it was a bit easier to latch onto something like that since they were immigrants. It's just a pet peeve of mine. A co-worker used to regale me & others with tons of callbacks to Italy, a country he'd never visited, nor had his parents. Finally one day I snapped and said, "Shut the gently caress up! You're from Chickasaw, Mississippi!" I felt bad some time later, but I think it's the fact that folks like this seem to be trying so hard to identify with a culture instead of being happy with whatever one they've grown up in.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

quote:

"The value of human life ain't poo poo nowadays that's #tragic"
Wow, what a huge oval office.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
If he thinks that 9/11 was part of a conspiracy to manipulate public opinion of Muslims, I can't imagine why the gently caress he'd think bombing a marathon would in any way ameliorate that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Samurai Sanders posted:

When they go there it probably spoils the illusion, since they find out it's just another place where people live and work, same as home.

I don't think it helps much that, at least in Ireland, they're often viewed with contempt for A) claiming some sort of Disneyfied kinship, and B) having offensive opinions on subjects they really have no grasp of at all and certainly never had to live with the consequences of.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think it helps much that, at least in Ireland, they're often viewed with contempt for A) claiming some sort of Disneyfied kinship, and B) having offensive opinions on subjects they really have no grasp of at all and certainly never had to live with the consequences of.

The phrase I heard for that is Returned American, which is weeabooing over a heritage that's supposed to be yours but of which you are not really part. It's a useful phrase.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

DongsMcMurphy posted:

If he thinks that 9/11 was part of a conspiracy to manipulate public opinion of Muslims, I can't imagine why the gently caress he'd think bombing a marathon would in any way ameliorate that.

More proof he didn't do it :downs:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
I'm kind of worried that Jeff Bauman is being rushed into things. While the cases are entirely different, my boyfriend is paraplegic, and he was so determined not to have those introspective, solitary moments during his recovery that might have allowed him to feel depressed and instead immediately tried to keep trucking, and it has actually led to some emotional issues regarding his disability that sometimes create tension. What I'm saying is that I just hope that, in between being loving awesome and a badass, Bauman's receiving good psychological care right now and is being encouraged to realize that his life is going to be very different now. But if Boston's mental health care is as good as their trauma unit, I'm sure they're taking care of him. It's a just a worry on my part. He's clearly in good hands.

And is a loving boss who apparently regained consciousness to immediately rain down some hell on his assailants in the form of a perfect description. :black101:

EDIT: Which also makes me wonder if there was something about the situation that set off an alarm bell, maybe even subconsciously, for Jeff for him to have retained such a detailed memory of the guy's face. It's easy to say something was off about him in hindsight, but the fact that his description led to FBI confirmation and an accurate sketch, I wonder if there was something strange he, even if accidentally, picked up on.

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 24, 2013

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Tamerlan was the boxer. Jahar was the party kid.

drat, I'm dumb tonight.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DongsMcMurphy posted:

It's on the same level of the people who deny the holocaust but salute the Nazis for showing the Jews. Delusions, or public denial of what they privately accept.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
He is obviously a huge hypocrite, which is one of the things that makes him seem like a pretty normal college kid.

Hard to imagine him ending up in a gun battle with police, while he pays lip service to a lot of gangster crap, I don't think there is much evidence of him actually being violent or using guns up until the shoot out.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Taliaquin posted:

Which also makes me wonder if there was something about the situation that set off an alarm bell, maybe even subconsciously, for Jeff for him to have retained such a detailed memory of the guy's face. It's easy to say something was off about him in hindsight, but the fact that his description led to FBI confirmation and an accurate sketch, I wonder if there was something strange he, even if accidentally, picked up on.

It's possible that the event and related trauma/shock/massive adrenaline rush maybe have forced the part of the brain that controls memories into performing at superhuman levels. Maybe not. Maybe he saw something incredibly off-putting about the whole situation before the detonation that may have stuck with him throughout the whole ordeal and all he had to do was put two and two together.

It's hard to tell, even for him.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

Hard to imagine him ending up in a gun battle with police, while he pays lip service to a lot of gangster crap, I don't think there is much evidence of him actually being violent or using guns up until the shoot out.

Yeah--I think people understand Tamerlan more--guy with a gigantic ego, anger issues, growing obsession with radical Islam--it's a bit easier to connect the dots, although maybe people are relying on a stereotype to fill in significant gaps.

Jahar's the tough one. I know there's the "he was just following his brother" theory, but the bombing would have required a noticeable amount of planning and preparation, and while I can see someone following their brother to, say, go shoplifting, bombing the Boston Marathon seems like a pretty big step just to follow big brother.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Scyantific posted:

It's possible that the event and related trauma/shock/massive adrenaline rush maybe have forced the part of the brain that controls memories into performing at superhuman levels. Maybe not. Maybe he saw something incredibly off-putting about the whole situation before the detonation that may have stuck with him throughout the whole ordeal and all he had to do was put two and two together.

It's hard to tell, even for him.

Generally speaking, if a stranger winks at you for no reason, it sticks in your mind. At least it does for me.

press for porn
Jan 6, 2008

by Pipski
None of that reads like someone that would go out and bomb innocent people, though. Possibly try and go join some freedom fighter group somewhere, sure, but murdering civilians who he might've chilled with under other circumstances? He must've really kept that radicalization on lockdown, because it's certainly not in his public social networking profile or in the remembrances of the people that knew him.

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

That'd be really loving awesome if MIT made some prosthetic legs for Bauman. I remember a few years back they made a working ankle/foot prosthetic and sucessfully tested it.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

People were doing that same witch hunt poo poo here, it just got shut down earlier than it did on reddit. The problem with reddit is the exact same one behind the jailbait poo poo - they refuse to moderate their user content and then once they get to a point where they actually need to, they're unable to do so effectively.

Dude bro freedom of speech. Where do we draw the line? First Obumass is taking my guns away, then my child porn from reddit, and now I can't even be a loving internet detective?

Ugh gently caress this earth.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
The Onion has a funny take on the whole Dzhokhar was brainwashed by his brother angle.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-guess-when-my-older-brother-said-lets-bomb-the-b,32176/?ref=auto

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Peter North posted:

The Onion has a funny take on the whole Dzhokhar was brainwashed by his brother angle.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-guess-when-my-older-brother-said-lets-bomb-the-b,32176/?ref=auto

Another one of those Onion articles that are more depressing than funny, but yeah.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Peter North posted:

Yeah, that's actually really depressing.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'm surprised it's 2013 and mother fuckers still don't know about The Onion.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Generally speaking, if a stranger winks at you for no reason, it sticks in your mind.

Nobody winked.

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jahar posted:

"sons of anarchy that's that good good"

"breaking bad, that show is loving ridiculous"

Obviously a monster. :colbert:

Kingsbury2
Apr 24, 2013

by angerbot
The most disturbing thing about this whole thing is that Bush may have been right about the whole "axis of evil" thing.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Kingsbury2 posted:

The most disturbing thing about this whole thing is that Bush may have been right about the whole "axis of evil" thing.

The most disturbing thing about your post is you may have registered just to post this terrible comment. What do you mean by this anyway? I don't recall either Chechnya or Russia being on the "Axis of Evil" list.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

NewtGoongrich posted:

The most disturbing thing about your post is you may have registered just to post this terrible comment. What do you mean by this anyway? I don't recall either Chechnya or Russia being on the "Axis of Evil" list.

Or that we've ever been attacked by the axis of evil (iran, iraq, north korea).

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Taliaquin posted:

I'm kind of worried that Jeff Bauman is being rushed into things. While the cases are entirely different, my boyfriend is paraplegic, and he was so determined not to have those introspective, solitary moments during his recovery that might have allowed him to feel depressed and instead immediately tried to keep trucking, and it has actually led to some emotional issues regarding his disability that sometimes create tension.
Yeah, me too. This will have a HUGE impact on his life. Most likely he's trying to stay away from his inner turmoil for a while and I don't blame him.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Ninja fetus posted:

Yeah, me too. This will have a HUGE impact on his life. Most likely he's trying to stay away from his inner turmoil for a while and I don't blame him.
Granted, my experience is with paraplegics, not amputees, but I'd imagine there's a period of time before a prosthetic can be safely introduced, and the mobility issues involved might be more shocking than currently anticipated. One thing that bothers my boyfriend a lot is just the fact that he can't go to the same places as his friends or even places that I'm going because they have drat step in the way. Then there's the aspect of physical dependency -- needing help, sometimes unexpectedly, with some tasks, or even the fact that getting off the couch is no longer as simple as just standing up but rather requires a series of carefully balanced movements. Won't be a problem for Jeff if he's able to get good prosthetics, but unless I misunderstand the therapy schedule, that won't happen immediately.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

NewtGoongrich posted:

The most disturbing thing about your post is you may have registered just to post this terrible comment.
Nah, he registered to post this amazing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545912

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Kingsbury2 posted:

Please, tell me how this event that had nothing at all to do with Iraq, Iran or North Korea does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hailthefish posted:

Yes, it's loaded. The rifle was set there by an officer getting into a different patrol car, then a different officer got in THAT patrol car and drove downtown and went into a Starbucks. I guess she then got back in the car and drove off, and various passers-by, including the guy who took the picture, tried to wave down the driver and a couple nearby bike cops to tell them about it.

Starbucks? Bike cops? The only way that the story could be any more 90s Seattle is if the cop's uniform was a plaid shirt and ripped jeans and she popped a Sub-Pop sampler into the tape deck.

• Locked thread