Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I believe the tide brought it back in, yeah.

So I wasn't the only one to wonder where the second knife mark had come from? Or did Dylan make a mark but not write his name?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Just to clear that up, the three boys found the body in Rory's boat and dumped it into the Fether. It was then washed up on the beach where Carole found it next morning. Aaron found it too and freaked out, that same day he drowned in the river.

I was wrong about the cut part, Dylan and Aaron both had made a cut, but only Aaron had written his name. I agree with Zola, it's likely that Aarons blood-signature didn't survive a ride through the river.

Theresa - when interviewed at home - said that she was looking for "something with Aaron's name on it" and that she didn't know what exactly.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OK! Let's get this show on the road! Read the next 5 chapters, through Chapter 31.

We are steadily approaching the end so I would like to post the next assignment before the end of the week, probably late Thursday or first thing Friday, but if that does not work for anyone please let me know.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I agree with Jude - Rory's not dead. I think he's cleaned out the savings account and skipped off with all the money. Beyond that, still not sure what to think. Who is the body? Where is the body? (In those fisherman's chests, probably) Who killed the body? I will be kind of annoyed if it was a natural death after all.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The timeline is getting more clear. I'll flesh it out:

Person X dies, and becomes Body X.
Body X is moved to the Brigadoon II.
Dylan learns about the body at some point in here.
Late Monday night, Dylan, Aaron and the third boy whose identity I forget mutilate the body, but keep it in the boat.
Someone moves the body, presumably dumping it into the Fethering.
Somewhere between 4:52 and 6:52, the body washes up on the beach.
6:52: Gordon confirms the presence of the body on the beach.
6:57: Someone with a silver stud in her nose finds the body and leaves. I couldn't remember who this is, but thankfully Kindle PC has a search function, so it's Tanya.
7:02: Carole finds the body, and leaves.
7:06: A boy discovers body is missing from boat. Aaron? Dylan? Someone else?
7:21: Boy A discovers the body on the beach.
7:36: Boy A, now joined by Boy B, carries the body back to the same boat where Boy A looked for it before.
7:47: Boys A and B leave the beach.
10:12: The police arrive to the sight of no body on the beach.
Someone moves the body from the boat to the chests(?)
Carole and Jude check the boat, and find no body.

So, the increasingly circuitous journey of the boat has become: Alive -> Dead -> Brigadoon II -> Beach -> Brigadoon II -> Unknown. And we STILL don't know who it is.

Tanya found the body. What do we know about Tanya? How does she fit into this? I wish I was keeping better notes.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 23, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Third boy is Nick, I think.

I don't even remember when we first met Tanya. Was it in the bar...?

I also agree with Jude about Rudy. He's probably in another country at this point.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 25, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Let me know if anyone is still catching up, otherwise I am going to post the next assignment by mid-day tomorrow. The next one is the last section before the reveal so I figure that will give the weekend for people to mull over finalized theories.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I am coming up with a theory here...

I also agree Rory Turnbull isn't dead, but given the hatred his mother-in-law Winnie Norton has for him, I'm thinking she's got something to do with this.

I'm going to go back and read over things again, but here's what I'm thinking.

The body on the beach that Carole found was originally hidden in the Brigadoon 2. At this point we don't know if the man died due to murder or drowning or even overdose, nor whether he was murdered or it was an accidental death or a suicide.

Now, what if Barbara Turnbull was the drug addict, not Rory?

This is a really loose theory at the moment because I need more confirmation, but what if the dead body was Barbara Turnbull's dealer, who died at the Turnbull's house.

Because of the snobbery of Fethering, neither Rory Turnbull nor Winnie Norton would want this to get out, so one or both hide the body in the boat. Since Winnie Norton has "...the best flat in the block with the best view", she may have spotted the boys and realized the body was discovered.

I'm just speculating here, but what if Rory asked for the name of the heroin dealer so that he could go and threaten him not to sell his wife any drugs? What if Barbara Turnbull was the one doing the embezzling? Maybe the body belonged to the heroin dealer and Rory killed him?

I need more info, but I am sure it's not as cut and dried as it might appear.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Okay, wanted to give any stragglers some time to catch up.

Please read the next 4 chapters, up through the end of Chapter 35.

This is the last small chunk before the reveal, so get your final discussion and theories locked in!

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

The dead body was Nick's father all along :getin:

Some connections are becoming clear. Tanya knew there was a dead guy in Rory's boat. Rory, apparently, gave her a lift now and then. She worked in his club. I think they had an affair and Rory bought drugs for her. The supplier might have been the dead guy, which IMO is Sam and who somehow ended up dead in Rory's boat.

Not sure what to make of all this yet. Many things point towards Rory and Tanya killing him but Nick seems to blame himself.

Our protagonists suspect that Rory is being set up. Could his suicide note be fake as well? Was he killed?

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Is everyone in Fethering on drugs? Maybe it's not that many, but it seems like it. At least one of the Turnbulls, Sam (before he died, obviously), the boys (not addicts, but they may have used) and now Tanya. And yet we have only one confirmed drug dealer - Dylan. I feel like we haven't heard the last of Dylan, to be honest. He hasn't been mentioned in a while and everyone seems to have forgotten him.

Did we ever confirm that it was Aaron who gave Carole's description to Theresa? Or was it Gordon? Is that significant?

The only people directly connected to Sam are Nick and Nick's mother. I don't believe Nick killed his father, though he may believe he did due to 'black magic'. Did his mother? Nick hasn't told her it was him but she might know... Was Dylan selling Sam drugs? That's another connection. Did Tanya know him?

...This post is very rambling. I need to think it over some more.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
poo poo. This is the last section? Barely any new information, and what is here I'm struggling to remember the relevance of. Who the hell are Denis and Bill?

I think I'm about ready to admit defeat on this one, myself.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

poo poo. This is the last section? Barely any new information, and what is here I'm struggling to remember the relevance of. Who the hell are Denis and Bill?

Dennis and Bill are the neighbours who hate each other and have signs pointing to one another's houses and stuff. Dennis is the vice-commodore of the yacht club and Bill is a 'weekend sailor' who is not a member of the yacht club. Or, possibly, their names might be the other way around.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Some more thoughts on the main characters in this incident and some early theories:

Nick: He is convinced his father is dead. It's quite obvious he's blaming himself. He's been with Dylan and Aaron when they found the body in Rory's boat. Didn't make a cut or write his name in blood. Dumped the body into the river along with the other boys.

Aaron: Found the body with Dylan and Nick. Made a cut into it and wrote his name in blood. Dumped it into the Fether with the other boys.

Dylan: Deals with cannabis. Owns the knife that was used to cut the body in the boat. Found the body along with Nick and Aaron, cut it but didn't write his name. Dumped it into the Fether. Hooked Rory up with somebody in Brighton who could sell him heroin.

Two boys: A boy was searching the body in the boat the morning after Dylan, Aaron and Nick dumped it in the Fether. He found it on the beach instead and came back with another boy to carry it back into the boat. I assume the boys were Nick and Aaron.

Rory: Owns the boat in which the dead body was originally located. Member of the Yacht Club. Embezzled money and scammed the NHS. Unhappy marriage with Barbara. Works in Brighton. Gives Tanya a ride between Brighton and Fethering. Seemed troubled and depressed lately. Eventually left a suicide note and disappeared. Rumors about drug abuse but our protagonists think it's a set-up.

Tanya: Lives in Brighton. Worked in the Yacht Club as barmaid but quit the job recently. Got a ride to Fethering from Rory. Apparently knew about the body, strong indication that she went to the beach to look for it. Went straight back to the Yacht Club after finding it.

Dead body: In his fiftes, wore a Yacht Club lifewest, needle marks in his arm. Probably junkie. Was stored in Rory's boat, found by the boys, ended up in the Fether and back on the beach, from where the boys brought it back into the boat. It was then moved to another location, probably by the building site. Is presumably Nick's father Sam.

One thing I initally notice is that both Tanya and the boys were looking for the body. Both factions seem guilty in the crime. However, we can't establish a connection between them. Was it coincidence or is there a relation?

What is the identity of the drug dealer? We know he or she lived in Brighton. It could be Tanya or it could be the dead guy.

What is the precise role of Rory? Our sleuths don't think he was the actual drug addict but who was it then? And what's the exact nature of the relationship between him and Tanya? Is she his dealer or are they having a full-blown affair? Why is he disappearing now? Is this connected to the end of the construction work?

What exactly is it that Nick did that he obviously blames himself for his father's death? Is there something else we don't know about the night they found the body? Could it actually be that the man wasn't dead when they found him? We know the knife wounds didn't kill him, but it doesn't say they were post-mortem. Maybe they cut him, realized he was still alive, then panicked?

I think the pieces are all there but it will take some thinking to come up with a precise, coherent theory. I'd love to hear more from the others now though.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Did we ever get an account of what Nick was up to following the corpse visit? I'm not buying the theory that the body was Nick's dad, because how would that not come up when Nick, Aaron and Dylan found it together? That really seems like something that would have been mentioned.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

ProfessorProf posted:

Did we ever get an account of what Nick was up to following the corpse visit? I'm not buying the theory that the body was Nick's dad, because how would that not come up when Nick, Aaron and Dylan found it together? That really seems like something that would have been mentioned.

Definitely agree with you here--Nick would have been way more freaked out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Give me one more day. :saddowns:

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I think it was too dark when they found it at night and he didn't know who it was. Then when he saw him on the beach in the light of day he recognised him. That explains why he was so much more freaked out after the trip to the beach than he was before it.

My instinct is that it was one of the Turnbulls and either Dylan or Tanya. I don't know why any of those people would have done it, which is frustrating, but I don't really see who else it could have been. Unless it was Nick's mum... but I don't think the book is that dark.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Nick suffers a nervous breakdown, is found lying in a fetal position where they first saw the body and then promptly tries to drown himself in the Fether screaming that his mother will never forgive him and that his father is gone for good. I don't know what other freakout you guys were expecting. :v:

As for Nick's behaviour in the night they first found the body, Maud brings up a good point. Keep in mind it wasn't just dark but the boys were also drunk and high. Maggie says a young lad called Nick in the morning after, prompting him to go out and return sobbing and hysterical a while later. I guess the other boy was Aaron, who must have arrived at the beach first.

Which brings me to another thing: does anybody actually believe that Aaron committed suicide? All we know is that he was last seen sitting on the railing. Somebody could have pushed him in and I think that's what happened. He witnessed a body that was obviously supposed to stay a secret, so that's one reason to dispose of him. Or, and that's what I consider the more likely alternative, the boys haven't told us the whole truth about what really happened in the night they found the body. Maybe Dylan saw Aaron freak out and pushed him in the river out of fear that he would tell (he already confessed to his mom about the body). Maybe Nick pushed him in because he got angry about what happened to his father.

Another important note: the interview with Tanya ended on a cliffhanger and next chapter we're getting the reveal so obviously she's deeply involved.

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 24, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ProfessorProf posted:

Hrmm, based on this and the other discussion, I may readjust this last section:

So the actual denouement is in Chapter 38, but each of the next two chapters contain a major reveal. I have been rereading over these last few chapters, and while I had originally considered these two reveals to be the official start of the ending, I can definitely see how you would need these two puzzle pieces to be able to form a cohesive theory.

So I will give you guys the rest of today to post any theories or to discuss more, and then we can do the next two chapters before moving onto ACTUAL final theories.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 25, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So false alarm: read the next two chapters and then form your final theories.

The actual denouement is in chapter 38 (so don't read that one), but the clues in the next two chapters should give you a lot more to work with.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Nothing I didn't already know :smug:

So what exactly is Nick blaming himself for? Either he thinks he's responsible for his father's death or he's the one who shoved Aaron into the Fether.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I caught up!

I guess this is confirmation of an affair between Tanya and Rory Turnbull, but then who would frame him? Or is it his wife's drugs after all

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 2, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Autumncomet posted:

I caught up!

I guess this is confirmation of an affair between Tanya and Rory Turnbull, but then who would frame him? Or is it his wife's drugs after all.

This is one of the trickier parts of the puzzle. Even if the drug supplies found by Barbara's mom are fake, Rory was asking for heroin so somebody must have wanted to take it. We have an unknown drug dealer and an unknown drug consumer. The drug dealer would either be Sam or Tanya. The drug consumer would be Tanya or Barbara. With all we've got I think it could be either of these:

a) Rory wants to buy drugs for Barbara. Dylan sends him to Tanya. They start an affair and Rory gets Tanya a job at the Yacht Club. Sam is a costumer from Tanya. He might have seen Rory at her apartment.

b) Rory meets Tanya at the Yacht Club. He offers her rides to Brighton and they start having an affair. She expresses an interest in doing drugs and Rory gets them through Dylan's contact, who is Sam.

Keep in mind Sam's ex-wife works as a housekeeper for the Turnbulls so maybe one of them recognized the other (although I don't think Sam stayed in contact with his family after the breakup).

Either way I'm not sure if Rory/Tanya actually attempted to kill Sam. First of all I'd like to know what brought him to Fethering, especially since he wore a lifewest.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Considering the amount of information we have at this point, it's astounding that the clues don't really reveal for sure any of the three big whodunit questions:

1. Who killed the victim?
2. How was the victim killed?
3. Why was the victim killed?

Some points that seem relevant:
-Sam was a junkie. He had scars on his wrist.
-Sam was wearing a life vest when his body was found. Why?
-The fake drug supplies plant. If Rory was really into drugs, then this wouldn't be necessary, would it? We have zero hard proof that Rory was a junkie, and this is pretty decent proof that he isn't.
-In which case, why was Rory looking for drugs? Do we actually know that he was looking for drugs? Where did that lead come from?
-Rory is almost certainly having an affair with Tanya at this point. Why did he fake his suicide? What's his game?
-How does Dylan play into all this? Was the whole thing with the cutting and writing names in blood a dead end?
-Did Nick do anything to Sam's corpse? If so, it could explain his guilt. If not, then why is he so upset? What did he do? Is he the killer?
-Sam being the dealer seems like it could tie a lot of loose ends together, but I don't see any proof of it.

I feel like we're close to the answer. Real close.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
No more insights? Are we facing the thread's first defeat? :ohdear:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

ProfessorProf posted:

No more insights? Are we facing the thread's first defeat? :ohdear:

There will be no admission of defeat but I've already written so much that I'd rather wait for other people to submit some of their ideas before I get back into it.

I might also reread some passages first just in case we missed any important details.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I'm trying but I really can't work out why the guy was killed. Maybe I've missed something obvious, but it seems like that's barely come up.

For a totally out-there idea that has nothing to do with Rory: Vice-Commodore and the Chilcotts don't really hate each other (or one of them doesn't hate the other) and are using their signs as some kind of code for their drug-smuggling ring. :v:

If I'm picking a murderer I guess I'd go with Rory, though, since he's shown up again at this point in the story. But I have no idea why he would've done it.

The Duke of Avon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 9, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

ProfessorProf posted:

-In which case, why was Rory looking for drugs? Do we actually know that he was looking for drugs? Where did that lead come from?

That lead came from Dylan. He was revealing that Rory had asked for heroin.

I'm starting to work on a theory now because it makes me kinda sad to see so little participation for this great book:

Like many others I had severe problem with the fact that Sam was found wearing a lifewest. But when you think about it it's pretty blatant. We know drugs are smuggled along the coast. Some of us suspect that the Yacht Club is part of the operation. Sam was obviously involved in the smuggle. As for why he was found lying in Rory's boat I can only speculate but everything about Rory and his behaviour is so extremely shady that you'd have to think he was directly involved in the smuggle as well.

As for Tanya, it's obvious that Rory and her have a deeper connection, probably an affair. I think they met through Dylan. Our suspicion is that Rory didn't actually take heroin when he asked Dylan for some, so my next best guess is that he was selling it. Sam somehow broke into the business and remembered the Yacht Club from his time in Fethering. He contacted Rory who in turn contacted Dylan to look for a heroin dealer that would sell the stuff. This could be how Tanya and Rory met. Maybe they just happened to meet when Tanya was working at the bar and the actual dealer isn't an important character. Either way, Tanya ended up falling for Rory and they got into the smuggle together, possibly using their job/appointment at the Yacht Club as cover during nightly operations.

The book has been really complicated in points, never straightforward. There's a convulated explanation for everything. I suspect the murder to be equally lacking in cut-and-dryness. Again, speculation: Sam took some of the heroin himself and overdosed on the boat. Only he didn't really die. Tanya and/or Rory left Sam where he was, thinking he would be dead anyway. It was deep in the night and they had to get rid of the heroin. There was no reason to suspect the body would be found.

As to how Dylan and his boys did find Sam I'm not sure. Maybe Tanya told him. Maybe it was a coincidence. But they screwed around with the body and realized he wasn't dead, maybe when they cut him. They were drunk and on drugs so they panicked and threw him in the river. Or maybe they just ran and the man ended up getting up, stumbling around and falling into the Fether. The latter would actually explain why Aaron checked the boat before he looked at the beach next morning. Either way, that's why Aaron seems to have thought that the black magic ritual worked. That's why Nick was so disraught, blaming himself for the death of his father.

Aaron was killed but I've already done some much work on this how about you pansies join the party?

:smug::hf::smug:

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

C'mon guys! Anymore theories? It doesn't matter how off the wall they are!

Okay so I am going to assume everyone was busy over the weekend since the weather was so nice (at least it was where I was), and give this one more day. If anyone needs a little more time just let me know. Or alternately if everyone is ready to give up and move on let me know that too and I will post the final assignment tonight. I just don't want to rush ahead when we have had a ton of participation but only a few people have posted full blown theories!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Guy A. Person posted:

C'mon guys! Anymore theories? It doesn't matter how off the wall they are!

Okay so I am going to assume everyone was busy over the weekend since the weather was so nice (at least it was where I was), and give this one more day. If anyone needs a little more time just let me know. Or alternately if everyone is ready to give up and move on let me know that too and I will post the final assignment tonight. I just don't want to rush ahead when we have had a ton of participation but only a few people have posted full blown theories!

I need a little more time, I have been very busy with work and I do have a theory that I'm hoping to post tonight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zola posted:

I need a little more time, I have been very busy with work and I do have a theory that I'm hoping to post tonight.

Great! Thanks for letting me know, I will wait until your theory at least is in, and of course anyone else let me know if they are under the same time constraints. I know how it goes, frankly I have barely been able to get into the thread to post "read this many chapters" since I have been so busy, and I am not even doing any of the heavy lifting here.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I'm still trying to unsnarl it all in my head enough to make a theory, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to. I'll try to post at least a 'I think X did it' tonight, even if it is a wild guess with nothing to back it up.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
ugh, FINALLY. Busy couple of weeks for me, although I've been able to keep up pretty well.

First off, I think that Jude is either an undercover agent or she is assisting the police for personal reasons, and I think Brad is her contact. She gives no history because "Jude" isn't a real person. Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases--perhaps the name "Jude" was chosen because the lady was once a drug addict herself.

Rory Turnbull was the one who killed Sam Kent. Two major things lead me to believe this, the first that the body was in Rory's boat and the boys had to cut the ropes on the boat, but the other thing was the missing tooth. Who would know how to remove a cap/denture (remember, when Carole found the body, she observed the missing tooth had clearly been gone for a long time) than a dentist? I think he'd intended to drop the body out to sea and hoped that it wouldn't turn up for a long while, and with a tooth missing, chances are nobody would connect that body with Sam Kent. The death may even have been accidental since Sam Kent was wearing a life jacket.

There's more going on, though. I think that Rory was being set up by Dylan or someone was feeding Dylan information. I think Dylan knew exactly which boat to break into and that there was a body in it. I am not necessarily sure that he knew that it was Nick Kent's father.

I also think that Rory didn't leave those drugs. I think that was engineered. I am not sure the suicide note was genuine. I suspect that the Vice Commodore was in on the embezzling and was using Rory's supposed drug habit as a cover. We never saw any evidence Rory actually did drugs, I suspect that he didn't, I think he was a dealer.

That's all I've got. Comments anyone? :)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Great catch on the missing tooth -> Rory is a dentist connection, I think that's really on to something. However, the planted drugs are a hell of a curveball in any cohesive theory I can try to come up with.

This is Rory's situation as I understand it:
-Rory disappears, and a suicide note, allegedly from Rory, is found.
-Obviously planted drugs are found in Rory's house.
-Rory is later found in Tanya's apartment, and is clearly in cahoots with her on something.

So, what's going on here? Any two of these clues could be explained easily. If Rory didn't show up alive later, then we could assume that someone was trying to make his murder look like a suicide. If there weren't any planted drugs, then Rory could just be using the suicide note to cover his tracks as he fled for a drug scheme. But we have all three...

It seems clear that some unknown person X has it in for Rory, but Rory also has something else going on. The murderer is either person X or Rory. Is Person X Dylan? Does Dylan have access to Rory's home?

...Oh, poo poo, this actually makes a lot of sense. Dylan works for a carpeting company. If the Turnbulls were customers of JT Carpets, then he could easily have gotten into plant the drugs in Rory's house. So then, Dylan's trying to get Rory framed, and Rory is... doing what? Why's he hiding out with Tanya?

I feel like we're almost to something here.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I don't think Rory is the murderer. I think he's run off with his wife's money to live with Tanya, though in that case why they haven't left the area yet is beyond me. Maybe he got her pregnant? I don't know. Actually, typing this I'm starting to reconsider... Why would Rory need to deal drugs if they have money? Why would he need to nick money from the yacht club and the NHS? Maybe supporting Tanya's drug habit? Or his wife's?

I'm going to go with it being Tanya, with Dylan as accomplice (helping her move the body, etc). I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but I said I'd get a definite suspect's name in so I have.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Maud Moonshine posted:

I don't think Rory is the murderer. I think he's run off with his wife's money to live with Tanya, though in that case why they haven't left the area yet is beyond me. Maybe he got her pregnant? I don't know. Actually, typing this I'm starting to reconsider... Why would Rory need to deal drugs if they have money? Why would he need to nick money from the yacht club and the NHS? Maybe supporting Tanya's drug habit? Or his wife's?

I'm going to go with it being Tanya, with Dylan as accomplice (helping her move the body, etc). I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but I said I'd get a definite suspect's name in so I have.

I think they don't have that kind of money. Rory is a dentist, I can't really tell how much they earn but the Turnbulls' life seems incredibly expensive. They even have a housemaid. It's a little much. Maybe their financial reserves dried up and that's why Rory started embezzling money and smuggling drugs.

I don't see any other comments regarding my theory so I'll lock it in as it is. My final guess that Dylan killed Aaron.

Bring on the finale!

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 30, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Entenzahn posted:

I think they don't have that kind of money. Rory is a dentist, I can't really tell how much they earn but the Turnbulls' life seems incredibly expensive. They even have a housemaid. It's a little much. Maybe their financial reserves dried up and that's why Rory started embezzling money and smuggling drugs.

I don't see any other comments regarding my theory so I'll lock it in as it is. My final guess that Dylan killed Aaron.

Bring on the finale!

Maybe it's Rory's mother in law, Winnie, who is pulling Dylon's strings. Maybe Rory's suicide note was just to screw Barbara out of the insurance, or maybe it's a little insurance against an "accidental" death.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Entenzahn posted:

Pages 62-63:

“Rory does very well,” said his mother-in-law, as if that answered the question. And perhaps, Jude reflected, by Winnie Norton’s standards, it did. Rory Turnbull was making a lot of money as a dentist; therefore it behooved him to buy a large house on the Shorelands Estate. That was a fact of life, nothing to do with how much space he and Barbara actually needed.

It sounds like Rory's lifestyle is well within his keepings. However, he WAS illegally scraping funds from the treasury, so Rory has some abnormal need of money.

Either Rory Turnbull has a drug habit, or Barbara Turnbull has a drug habit. I'm starting to like the latter theory, actually. Rory needs to keep stealing money to support his wife's drug habit, and it's making him miserable. He runs off with Tanya to get away from both the increasing debts from that lifestyle and to get away from the wife he now hates.

But how does Dylan's (I'm locking this part in) drug plant in Rory's things tie into this? Let's look at when we learned about that. Page 203:

“Of course I’m not!” Winnie Norton snapped. “But I watch television. There’s hardly a drama on these days that doesn’t show people taking drugs. So I recognized it when I saw it. In Rory’s desk drawer I found a syringe, and some metal foil, and a little packet of white powder. I think he was spending all their money on drugs.”

Winnie was the one who found it, in Rory's desk drawer. I was thinking Barbara could have made the story up, but...

Okay, here's a theory. Rory was getting heroin through Dylan. Sam Kent is killed, either by Rory or by Dylan, reason unknown. Rory decided to get out. Dylan, worried that Rory would out him to the police, plants the drugs to make Rory look like a criminal, and does the whole thing with the stoned kids and the black magic to try and get their names attached to the body.

I'm leaning towards a Dylan Culprit theory. I want more time.

E:

Zola posted:

Maybe it's Rory's mother in law, Winnie, who is pulling Dylon's strings. Maybe Rory's suicide note was just to screw Barbara out of the insurance, or maybe it's a little insurance against an "accidental" death.

Winnie is also the one who "found" the drugs. Can a Winnie Culprit Theory be formed here? What do we know about her?

Disclaimer: I just accidentally spoiled myself on one aspect of the ending using the Kindle Reader's search functionality. I still don't know who the culprit is, though.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

ProfessorProf posted:

Pages 62-63:

“Rory does very well,” said his mother-in-law, as if that answered the question. And perhaps, Jude reflected, by Winnie Norton’s standards, it did. Rory Turnbull was making a lot of money as a dentist; therefore it behooved him to buy a large house on the Shorelands Estate. That was a fact of life, nothing to do with how much space he and Barbara actually needed.

It sounds like Rory's lifestyle is well within his keepings. However, he WAS illegally scraping funds from the treasury, so Rory has some abnormal need of money.

Either Rory Turnbull has a drug habit, or Barbara Turnbull has a drug habit. I'm starting to like the latter theory, actually. Rory needs to keep stealing money to support his wife's drug habit, and it's making him miserable. He runs off with Tanya to get away from both the increasing debts from that lifestyle and to get away from the wife he now hates.

Okay, fair point. But the fact that Sam was found with a lifewest in Rory's boat leads me to believe that the boat was used by Sam to smuggle drugs, which further leads me to believe that someone close to Rory was supporting the operation. Tanya knew to look for the body which implies she's involved. Rory is hiding out with Tanya which requires some level of trust. This leads me to believe that he was involved with whatever Tanya did and that the two of them are the other smugglers next to Sam.

Why did he need the money? I don't know. Maybe he was saving up for a getaway with Tanya. He was planning to fake his own suicide so he might just have taken as much as he could have gotten away with. Something on an account that his wife doesn't have access to so he can just disappear. Might be that he couldn't funnel his normal savings into his getaway account because his wife would have noticed. Or maybe there wasn't enough left.

As for who planted the fake heroin, I can see the following people having easy access to Rory's desk: Barbara, Winnie, Rory and Maggie. I don't recall the book ever hinting that Barbara had a carpet fitter in her house at some point. The book also makes a big point out of the fact that the fake was amateurish, meaning it was done a) by someone who has no clue or b) to convince someone who has no clue. It sounds like Winnie found the stuff before Rory disappeared, but the book isn't clear on it. If that's the case, how could anyone have expected to plant the drugs without Rory being the first to find them?

• Locked thread