Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I saw a movie a very long time ago, and I can only remember a few key things about it. It might even be a television-exclusive movie, but I don't know.

First, the movie was narrarated by the main character.

The plot was about some guy who had a crappy life with a crappy wife a couple kids. One day, he goes into a convienient store and buys a new life (I think).The next day, he wakes up in a mansion with a super hot wife.

That's all I remember about the plot

Some scenes:
-He goes back to his original house to find his wife and kids at the table with the guy he swapped lives with living happily
-One of the first scenes is him masturbating in the shower

This sounds kind of like The Family Man with Nicolas Cage, except the shower thing which sounds like American Beauty. Neither of these is from "a very long time ago", though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I saw a movie a very long time ago, and I can only remember a few key things about it. It might even be a television-exclusive movie, but I don't know.

First, the movie was narrarated by the main character.

The plot was about some guy who had a crappy life with a crappy wife a couple kids. One day, he goes into a convienient store and buys a new life (I think).The next day, he wakes up in a mansion with a super hot wife.

That's all I remember about the plot

Some scenes:
-He goes back to his original house to find his wife and kids at the table with the guy he swapped lives with living happily
-One of the first scenes is him masturbating in the shower

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169547/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

American Beauty?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds like Future Trade

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Definitely American Beauty. Thanks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Definitely American Beauty. Thanks.

Except that most of what you described never happens in American Beauty.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I might have been watching two movies at the same time. Like I said, it was over 10 years ago. It was just an early memory that popped into my head.

vvv: Just Youtubed it. You're right. I was definitely channel flipping between that and American Beauty.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 24, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The other half is future trade, or at least based on the same story. It's been adapted a few times

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Is this Pretty Woman, or something else?

A woman and (I think, not sure) her friend wearing plain, average clothes walk into a posh Beverly Hills boutique and start looking around and pretend to try things on. A pompous snob of a worker sees them and tells them to leave immediately as they cannot afford a single thing in the store and are wasting their time and harming the store's profits by just being there; If they refuse to leave, he'll call the cops immediately.

One of the women pulls out a comedically huge wad of cash, flashes it in the snob's face and tells him, "Well then I guess we'll just take our business elsewhere" in a total :iceburn: to Mr. Snooty, and they leave the store.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Definitely not Pretty Woman, since I saw that same scene a few days/weeks ago and I haven't seen Pretty Woman in years. Really wracking my mind right now to come up with the name. Why the hell won't Netflix let me look at my full history any more?

By any chance did the store manager come up to the salesperson after the woman/women left and fire him/her on the spot?

Edit: Pretty in Pink.

Edit 2: Nope, not it. It'll come to me eventually.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 24, 2013

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Sorry for double-posting, but that scene actually WAS in Pretty Woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQK0VTTXvA

Must be a fairly common trope though. I've definitely seen it in something else too.

Yet another edit: VVV ...and that was totally what I was thinking of.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 24, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a big reference to it in one of the last two seasons

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MrGreenShirt posted:

Sorry for double-posting, but that scene actually WAS in Pretty Woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQK0VTTXvA

Must be a fairly common trope though. I've definitely seen it in something else too.

Yeah, it seems like a fairly common trope. A poor nobody gets poo poo on by some some rich snob, the poor nobody climbs the social ladder, becomes rich and returns to tell the rich snob to suck it. It could also be the "poor nobody" is actually an incredibly wealthy person who doesn't like flaunting their cash and gets mistaken for an actual poor nobody in average clothing.

But regarding the ID of my movie, I had a feeling this happened in Pretty Woman, but the movie I'm thinking of isn't PW. I'm positive there was a wad of cash involved, and I thought it might be Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, but I think that happened when one of them applied for a job at a Beverly Hills clothing store and was immediately looked down upon. Hell, it could be an episode of a TV show, for all I know, but yeah, a fairly common theme with classes, it seems.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a big reference to it in one of the last two seasons

Season 7 Episode 1 - Frank's Pretty Woman

Just watched it and it's exactly as described. That was bugging me too and I immediately remembered the drugged out chick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, it seems like a fairly common trope. A poor nobody gets poo poo on by some some rich snob, the poor nobody climbs the social ladder, becomes rich and returns to tell the rich snob to suck it. It could also be the "poor nobody" is actually an incredibly wealthy person who doesn't like flaunting their cash and gets mistaken for an actual poor nobody in average clothing.

But regarding the ID of my movie, I had a feeling this happened in Pretty Woman, but the movie I'm thinking of isn't PW. I'm positive there was a wad of cash involved, and I thought it might be Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, but I think that happened when one of them applied for a job at a Beverly Hills clothing store and was immediately looked down upon. Hell, it could be an episode of a TV show, for all I know, but yeah, a fairly common theme with classes, it seems.

There's definitely a wad of cash in the Always Sunny episode

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Alright, here's one. I saw this at my grandfather's place when I was like 10 or so. There's a scene where a dude is being controlled by invisible puppet strings to walk through a hospital. We see the puppetmaster silhouetted above the hospital. The guy is forced to walk to the roof of the hospital, where he jumps off. That's all I can remember, and I've been trying to remember what it's from for so long.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, here's one. I saw this at my grandfather's place when I was like 10 or so. There's a scene where a dude is being controlled by invisible puppet strings to walk through a hospital. We see the puppetmaster silhouetted above the hospital. The guy is forced to walk to the roof of the hospital, where he jumps off. That's all I can remember, and I've been trying to remember what it's from for so long.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somewhere between about fifteen to twenty years ago (or maybe slightly more recently, but it was a while back) I saw a movie where at one point someone is put through a woodchipper and his remains are put in a bag for his friends to take away as a warning or something. In the next scene, someone asks where the guy is and they say he's in the bag, and the person looks in there and vomits. It seems highly unlikely, but I think it might have been a comedy? I mean, that doesn't sound funny at all, so I'm probably wrong about that, but that's all I remember about it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Somewhere between about fifteen to twenty years ago (or maybe slightly more recently, but it was a while back) I saw a movie where at one point someone is put through a woodchipper and his remains are put in a bag for his friends to take away as a warning or something. In the next scene, someone asks where the guy is and they say he's in the bag, and the person looks in there and vomits. It seems highly unlikely, but I think it might have been a comedy? I mean, that doesn't sound funny at all, so I'm probably wrong about that, but that's all I remember about it.

Rumble in the Bronx. That scene freaked me out, because a Jackie Chan film is supposed to be funny and not terrifying.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Polka_Rapper posted:

Rumble in the Bronx. That scene freaked me out, because a Jackie Chan film is supposed to be funny and not terrifying.

Was that the same one where at the end the head bad guy is defeated by being run over by a hovercraft?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Was that the same one where at the end the head bad guy is defeated by being run over by a hovercraft?

Yes it is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Polka_Rapper posted:

Wow, I remember that movie, and I remember the scene, but somehow they've become completely separated in my mind.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
For the last 25 years, I've have a snapshot of a bad movie or TV show haunt me based on a 15 second clip I saw when I was like 5 (1987). There are maybe four guys sleeping and then they are roughly woken up and hoods are put on them. Their hands are handcuffed behind their backs and ski boots are put on their feet. They are then walked to a....water slide and slid into a swimming pool of water. After this, I was shooed out of the room because I was too young. Now that I am old and callused, what the gently caress was this movie?

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009
This has been driving me crazy for quite some time.

It's a film, from probably the early to mid 90s. I can remember snippets of the plot. A group of people are making a movie, about an assassination, possibly of the President (or big gov't official). The person they hire to play the sniper is an actual nut job. I vividly remember a scene where he has a nightmare that he killed his wife and daughter by smothering them. There's a scene where he snipers several guys in a hotel room from another building or hill.

The actual plot really stands out for me because towards the end, its revealed that every thing you've been watching has been a film. So the movie has been about these people making a movie about a big assassination. Like, you're watching what you think is the climax and some one yells cut, and yeah, it's all been a film. A movie, within a movie, within a movie.

I can't remember any actors, which has made IMDB not helpful.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Linus Balto posted:

This has been driving me crazy for quite some time.

It's a film, from probably the early to mid 90s. I can remember snippets of the plot. A group of people are making a movie, about an assassination, possibly of the President (or big gov't official). The person they hire to play the sniper is an actual nut job. I vividly remember a scene where he has a nightmare that he killed his wife and daughter by smothering them. There's a scene where he snipers several guys in a hotel room from another building or hill.

The actual plot really stands out for me because towards the end, its revealed that every thing you've been watching has been a film. So the movie has been about these people making a movie about a big assassination. Like, you're watching what you think is the climax and some one yells cut, and yeah, it's all been a film. A movie, within a movie, within a movie.

I can't remember any actors, which has made IMDB not helpful.

The November Men?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

I saw this on TV maybe 15 years ago. I'm not sure if it was tv or a movie but it scared the poo poo out of me for a while.

This father is tucking his daughters into bed. He gets up to leave and looks back into their bedroom. Suddenly he's in a hellish version of the room. It's all red and on fire, his daughters are dressed in filthy rags and I think you can hear screaming and crying. He stands there all freaked out for a few seconds then everything snaps back to normal.

That's the only bit I saw but I suddenly remembered how terrifying the idea of a sudden reality shift was when I was a kid.

I haven't seen it since the original release, but wasn't there a scene similar to that in The Dead Zone?

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009

Not it. Thanks, though. This might be something I NEVER find out, haha. I thought this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002117/?ref_=tt_cl_t6 was in it, playing the nut job assassin. But I can't see any title on his resume from around that time that fits the bill.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
British kids tv show involving a time travel capable motorcycle, I'm guessing early 90s. It was a woman who rode the (probably black) bike and had a young girl (boy? don't remember) with her. At one point they were fleeing the Roundheads (Cavaliers? don't remember) and at another point they get in trouble with Union (Confederate?) soldiers so they could travel through time and space.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I honestly don't know if it was in theaters or direct to video/tv, just that it was on tv around 1994 or so and looked to have been made around the same time.

The only scene I remember is a main character and a portly neighbor arguing about a tree overgrowing their fence. They get into a scuffle and the fat neighbor seriously hurts himself when he falls over. The main character panics and goes to call 911 to get him some help. While he does this, though, a mysterious drifter who they let stay in their place comes out and kills the fat neighbor by smashing his head against a rock. He then changes into some of the main characters' clothing and leaves.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dr_Amazing posted:

I saw this on TV maybe 15 years ago. I'm not sure if it was tv or a movie but it scared the poo poo out of me for a while.

This father is tucking his daughters into bed. He gets up to leave and looks back into their bedroom. Suddenly he's in a hellish version of the room. It's all red and on fire, his daughters are dressed in filthy rags and I think you can hear screaming and crying. He stands there all freaked out for a few seconds then everything snaps back to normal.

That's the only bit I saw but I suddenly remembered how terrifying the idea of a sudden reality shift was when I was a kid.

You sure this is that old? Because there's a nearly identical scene in American Horror Story.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Horror movie. Mid '80s. Nazis during World War 2 find a tower in the backcountry, there's a demon or something inside of it, and it gets loose. They probably die horribly before someone seals the creature back inside. I haven't seen more than a minute of it, but my dad quotes a line of dialogue all the time - "This was not made to keep something out - This was made to keep something in!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mimir posted:

Horror movie. Mid '80s. Nazis during World War 2 find a tower in the backcountry, there's a demon or something inside of it, and it gets loose. They probably die horribly before someone seals the creature back inside. I haven't seen more than a minute of it, but my dad quotes a line of dialogue all the time - "This was not made to keep something out - This was made to keep something in!"

The Keep

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

The Keep

Edit: Grrr

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Trying to find out the name of an Anime film I saw on television ten years ago.
-It was set in the near future in which the sea levels had risen and everything was partly under water.
-At the start a group of soldiers met with a Snake Plissken style character, the film's main protagonist, to enlist him in a war effort.
-The film involved fighting against these huge mech-robots which would suddenly emerge out of the submerged world. Just after enlisting Snake they encounter one of these and he succeeds somehow in destroying it. As soon as he does this glowing white female emerges from it and Snake, for some reason, makes a big deal out of running towards her and lowering her peacefully into the water.
-There's some kind of huge fight against the robots which humanity loses leaving Snake drifting around in some kind of escape pod.
-The last detail I remember is of Snake sitting around on a tiny island surrounded by the strange glowing women I described earlier.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

I dunno personally, but you might have better luck in the Help me identify this anime! thread in ADTRW.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I honestly don't know if it was in theaters or direct to video/tv, just that it was on tv around 1994 or so and looked to have been made around the same time.

The only scene I remember is a main character and a portly neighbor arguing about a tree overgrowing their fence. They get into a scuffle and the fat neighbor seriously hurts himself when he falls over. The main character panics and goes to call 911 to get him some help. While he does this, though, a mysterious drifter who they let stay in their place comes out and kills the fat neighbor by smashing his head against a rock. He then changes into some of the main characters' clothing and leaves.

I could be wrong, but I think this was actually a Tales from the Crypt episode. I have them all on DVD, and I'll check when I get home.

EDIT: I dug through them, and none of the episode descriptions jumped out at me as being this, so who knows. I know it's been done before American Horror Story because I've never seen it, but I have seen whatever Neo Rasa is talking about.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2013

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

cloudchamber posted:

Trying to find out the name of an Anime film I saw on television ten years ago.
-It was set in the near future in which the sea levels had risen and everything was partly under water.
-At the start a group of soldiers met with a Snake Plissken style character, the film's main protagonist, to enlist him in a war effort.
-The film involved fighting against these huge mech-robots which would suddenly emerge out of the submerged world. Just after enlisting Snake they encounter one of these and he succeeds somehow in destroying it. As soon as he does this glowing white female emerges from it and Snake, for some reason, makes a big deal out of running towards her and lowering her peacefully into the water.
-There's some kind of huge fight against the robots which humanity loses leaving Snake drifting around in some kind of escape pod.
-The last detail I remember is of Snake sitting around on a tiny island surrounded by the strange glowing women I described earlier.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Are you sure this is a film? Sounds a lot like Blue Submarine No. 6 to me.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Just watched a few clips and that's definitely it. Thanks.

SKRILLEX
Dec 16, 2011
I'm going to kick myself when someone gets this. I used to have it on DVD and even then could never remember the name of it.

It's from the '70s and is a horror movie; a group of tourists (each one of them represents one of the seven deadly sings) goes to a castle and this creepy Satan lady seduces all of them or something. It's really hokey and really '70s and there's a goofy guy who looks like Thom Yorke (who I think is supposed to be Death or something).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

The Devil's Nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKRILLEX
Dec 16, 2011

Yes! Thank you. I've never looked at the IMDB page. That Thom Yorke fellow is supposed to be Satan? I thought the lady (on the freakin' cover) was supposed to be Satan. Boy, I wonder what other movies I've been partially misunderstanding?