Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So what's the point of sandbagging, what do they gain by doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

AFAIK on each team there has to be players of different skill levels so that one team can't all be pro's and another just regular joes who like to shoot for fun, they have to be balanced so both teams are roughly equal. Of course if people play poo poo when they're getting their ranking a team would have a better shot at beating other teams since really they have a better team despite, in theory having an equal team.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Edit: poo poo, double post.

By the way Jase, I love the thread and your life.

Guni fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 23, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Malaver posted:

Its like sandbagging in anything with a handicap, golf, bowling, whatever. If you get a handicap at a lower skill level than you actually have, you will either gain an advantage over an equally skilled (and honestly rated) opponent, get an additional advantage over a higher skilled (and honestly rated) opponent or get a lower disadvantage against a lesser skilled (do I need to say it again) opponent.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

jackyl posted:

Its like sandbagging in anything with a handicap, golf, bowling, whatever. If you get a handicap at a lower skill level than you actually have, you will either gain an advantage over an equally skilled (and honestly rated) opponent, get an additional advantage over a higher skilled (and honestly rated) opponent or get a lower disadvantage against a lesser skilled (do I need to say it again) opponent.

All right, say you lost 4 games on purpose to get a low skill handicap, and it pays back by giving you advantage over other teams so you won the next 4 games... Was it worth it? Lost 4, won 4 - might have as well played for real from the start.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Doctor Malaver posted:

All right, say you lost 4 games on purpose to get a low skill handicap, and it pays back by giving you advantage over other teams so you won the next 4 games... Was it worth it? Lost 4, won 4 - might have as well played for real from the start.

You make sure that the four games you win are a lot more important (generally in terms of money won, but sometime also to win an event with some prestige in sports/games with ratings) than the ones you lost to sandbag in the first place. For instance, you might do your sandbagging in local rated events, then use your lower ranking/rating in a national tournament.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 24, 2013

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Doctor Malaver posted:

A lot of amateur leagues use handicaps. 9-ball for example: If you're ranked B and your opponent is ranked A, you might only have to sink the 7 ball whereas your opponent has to make the 9. In most games this won't matter, but in a handicap tournament you can easily win against equal or even better players if you're ranked lower because your handicap allows you an advantage.

Golf might be a better example as it uses numbers, and handicaps apply more often. You're a 25 handicap, and you're playing against a 10 handicap. You get 15 strokes on him, so your opponent has to beat you by 15+ strokes to win. This means you have every incentive to have as high a handicap as possible to maximize your advantage, so when it really counts you can simply play better than normal and pretty much be assured a victory.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks everyone for the explanations. I looked up the origin of the word and it used to mean hitting someone on the head with a sack of sand. I guess the meaning carried over is to hit your enemy with a less dangerous weapon.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Sorry it took me so long to post the 2nd part of day 2 it's just a really long story and I haven't had the time to post it.

My girlfriend and I are in the room deciding what to do about dinner when I get a knock on the door and it's my good friend/bookie/person I hustled some money out of on darts, Hiphop. I forgot that I told him where I was staying and he should stop up to hang out. I invited him and his girl to dinner and we decided to go to this little Italian place across the street and get some grub. We have an amazing meal with way too much wine and I invite them back to the pool room to hang out for the night and get drunk and just party. When we get back to the hotel the girls decide to head to the hotel bar to continue drinking and whatever else it is they do and we walk into the pool room when I run into my Uncle Frank. I can't remember if I have talked about this before or not but one of the things that Frank taught me early about hustling and gambling is making the other guy uncomfortable. Get him out of his comfort zone and they will make mistakes. If a guy comes up to Frank and says lets play a game for $50 he will always take it to the extreme and says something like lets play for $500. His philosophy was if a guy had $200 on him he wanted to play for the whole $200 in 1 game not 4 games at $50 a piece. He felt like if the guy was playing out of his comfort zone it game him the advantage. I have used this tactic a lot especially when someone tries to use it against me. I might be in a dive bar trying to hustle a guy for $20 a game and he will say make it $50 so I will just say lets do it for a $100 and so on. It has worked most of the time but a couple of times it has backfired and I ended up losing big money to a better player.

I see Frank has been running this pool table for awhile with a line of guys waiting to shoot him in 8 ball. I ask him what is the deal here and he walks over to the table and picks up an empty bottle of Glenfiddich 18 and says this is what happened. Frank loves scotch and when he is drunk off scotch and his ego gets a little out of control and apparently he talked some poo poo saying he could run the table for the rest of the night at $50 a game. At this point he had won about 15 games and the word got around the rest of the room and people started lining up to play him. It was actually a pretty fun atmosphere because not that much money was being gambled and Frank was really putting on a show. Frank asks me to go up to his room and grab another bottle of scotch from him because he wanted to continue drinking. I said no problem and when I go up there I see he has a Glenfiddich 30 which is a 30 year old single malt scotch that I am pretty sure is about $200 a bottle. I say gently caress it grab the bottle and 2 more glasses so me and Hiphop can get in on the drinking and walk back to the pool room. When I get there I see this blonde girl racking up for Frank and I ask him who she is and he says he has no clue but she has big tits and he wants to watch her rack the balls all day. I show Frank the bottle and tell him this was the only bottle I could find I hope it's okay and he basically has to one eye it to look at it and he says oh this is my 30 bottle you done good son. He grabs the glasses out of my hand and pours 3 huge glasses of scotch. He hands me a glass and Hiphop a glass and says cheers and while I am smelling the scotch and getting ready to chase it down he drinks the whole glass like a shot puts it down on the table walks over to the pool table and breaks and runs out on the blonde. He says honey if you want you can rack them up again because I could never get tired of watching you rack those balls. She laughs it off and says no thanks and walks away and Frank yells at the top of his lungs next.

Hiphop and I continue sipping our drinks laughing at how Frank is acting when this young kid walks up who must be about 23 or 24. He is wearing skinny jeans a striped sweater and has black rim glasses and a small curly mohawk. Franks says it's $50 a game and the kid says lets make it a $100 and Frank says well if we are going to play that game lets make it $500 the kid says sure pulls it out of his pocket lays it on the table and goes over and starts racking them up. Frank stumbles over to us and says I finally got some action in this place and pours himself another full glass of scotch. I am watching the kid and I am pretty sure he is on coke, coming from a person who has done coke I know the signs. He is jittery, he has the sniffles, and his eyes wont stop moving so he is either on coke or just crazy. Frank steps up and makes the 8 on the break and the kid says lets do it again. Pulls out $500 and lays it on the table and racks them up. Frank walks over to me and says this kids got a pocket full of money and that didn't even phase him. I tell frank he should let him win this one so he sticks around and Frank looks at me and gives me the look like I am an idiot. I have seen that look a million times before and Frank is usually right. The kid racks em up and Frank breaks and runs the balls out like nothing. I watch the kid the whole time and all he does is pull out another $500 puts on the table and says lets run it again. While the kid is racking them up Frank leans on the table and says lets up the bet and the kid says to what and Frank says lets play for 1k a game. The kid says sure and grabs 1k out of his pocket and puts it on the table and Frank again breaks and runs out like it was nothing. I realize Frank is in the perfect groove right now, he is drunk, has a ton of confidence and a pocket full of money and he just can't lose. I have seen this a few times and it's really entertaining to watch because he is having so much fun. At this point the kid is down 2k and he doesn't even care it's almost as if the money doesn't matter to him.

Frank comes over to me and says he is getting a really weird vibe from this kid like it doesn't even matter that he is losing. Frank says the kid hasn't even had a chance to shoot at the table yet and he is pulling more money out of his pocket. I tell Frank that I think the kid is on coke so maybe that has something to do with it and Frank says he is going to try and up the bet again to see if the kid will go for it. Frank walks over to the kid and says wanna up the bet and the kid says yeah lets play for 2k a game and Frank says lets make it 5k a game and the kid tells Frank to hold on he will be right back. The kid walks over to the corner of the pool room and sits down next to this huge black guy with dreads. I am see them talking back and forth and the kid walks back over with the big guy and he looks at Frank and says who is your backer. Franks says I back myself and the big guy says how about you play this kid in a race to 5 for 20k and Frank says if we are gonna play for that type of money you have to give me an hour to sober up. The big guy says no problem and to meet back at this table around 11pm. We walk back up stairs to Franks room and frank lays a bombshell on me. He is scared shitless and doesn't have 20k on him I tell why the gently caress did you accept the bet then and he said because I was drunk. I tell him he needs to eat shower poo poo and shave and we will figure this out. I order some room service and while he is showering I go to my room and grab my bankroll and count what I have on me. I have 3k on me and I know I have 2k stashed in my car so that leaves me with a total of 5k. Franks gets out of the shower and I ask how much he has on him and he says he has about 6k on him right now and I tell him that I have 5k so that makes 11k is there anyone else here you can ask to borrow money or stake you? He says he doesn't know of anyone but he just remembered he has money stashed in his truck. He leaves the room and Hiphop looks at me and asks if I am letting him borrow 5k or staking him and I said I hadn't thought about it yet. I told Hiphop that we never saw the kid play so I have no clue what he is up against but at the same time I have faith in Frank. I told him about what happened the night before with Frank and me and that we almost lost a bunch of money but Frank threatened the guy and he dumped back to us. Hiphop asked me how good frank is and I told him you just saw him shoot on a 1 1/2 bottles of scotch and he was still the best player in the room. Frank walks back in and said he found another 4k which brings the total up to 15k and he thinks the guy will accept that. Hiphop says don't worry I got you for the other 5k just make sure you win. Frank says thanks and he can pay us back that night if he loses we just need to go to his house. I tell him he doesn't have to pay me back because I am staking him and hiphop says the same thing. The food arrives and I tell frank we are going to go down to the bar to hang out while he eats and gets his mind straight.

As we are walking down to the bar I ask hip if he minds if we go to my room for a few so I can get high. He says no and to be honest he wants to get high too because he needs to relax. We go to my room and smoke a joint and hip tells me not to say anything to his girl because she will freak out if she knows whats going on. I tell him no problem we finish the joint walk back down to the pool room and when I walk in I can see the kid shooting on the table with the big guy sitting down in the corner. I notice that there are only about 25 people in the room and almost all of them are watching the kid shoot meaning the word has got around that it's a big money game. We sit down right in front of the table and I continue watching the kid shoot to see if I can get a read on his game. He looks to be a pretty good shot but I feel like I could beat him so Frank should be able to wipe the floor with him. Frank walks into the room looking like a new man with a blue plastic grocery bag in his hand full of money. As soon as he enters the room his eyes lock onto the kid and I can tell he is ready the kid is shooting around and Frank walks over to him and throws the bag on the table telling him its all there feel free to count it. The big guy gets up from the corner walks over to the table opens his jacket and pulls out a big yellow envelope and puts it on the table and tells him it's all there. Frank grabs the envelope and hands it to me and I count it and it's good. They count our money and say it's good and the big guy asks who should hold it. Franks says they should put it all together in one bag and put it under the pool table. The big guy agrees and they put all the money in the blue grocery bag and stash it under the table. They are literally going to be playing pool on top of the money which I thought was pretty awesome. I am nervous as gently caress and I am sweating and I can tell hip is nervous too and right before they start Frank walks over to me and looks me in the eyes and tells me don't sweat it kid just enjoy the ride. Even though Frank is really confident I am still about to poo poo my pants because I have no control over my money plus I have a good friend in on this too so I feel like I am responsible for a lot of that money.

They flip a coin to decide who breaks and the kid wins the coin flip. Frank racks them up and the instead of going for an 8 on the break or just a regular break for that matter the kid does a soft break and only a few balls move around the table but mostly keeps them bunched up. I see guys do this a lot especially in one pocket it's a strategy move to keep the balls bunched up together and not open the table up. This is why I love frank so much because if you try to pull some bullshit move or some strategy he will literally do everything he can to gently caress that up and that's exactly what he did. He walks up to the table and tells the kid gently caress that horseshit and he slams the cue ball into the group off balls and the 9 ball goes into the side pocket giving him stripes. This opens up the table and frank runs 5 more balls down before he plays a beautiful safe. The kid gets up to the table and makes 3 balls and misses a shot leaving the table open for Frank. Frank steps up to the table and runs out putting him up 1-0 in the race to 5 and I am pretty sure I held my breath for the entirety of the first game. The kid racks them up and Frank breaks and makes nothing on the break. The kid steps up to the table and runs it out including making an amazing 3 rail shot that even impressed Frank. The score is now tied up 1-1 and the kid breaks on the next rack and this time he breaks for real so I guess he decided to give up on the soft break strategy and gets down to the 8 ball but does not have a shot on it. He thinks about it for a minute and decides to pick up the cue ball and give Frank ball in hand instead of trying to make a crazy shot and scratching on the 8. That is a really smart move with that much money on the line there is no reason to do anything stupid just make your opponent beat you if you have to but don't give him a game trying to be flashy and scratching on the 8. I am sure the kid was hoping Frank wouldn't run out on him but I was pretty confident Frank would run the table and that's exactly what he did making it 2-1. Frank goes to break in the 4th game and it's a perfect break it sound like a hammer and you could hear it all over the room. I am watching the 8 and it goes straight in the side pocket and I give a small fist pump but then I hear Frank say don't you do it and I look at the other end of the table and the cue ball is heading right for the corner pocket almost in slow motion and it falls into the pocket giving the kid the 4th game making it 2-2.

At this time the kid says he has to take a piss and wants to smoke a cigarette and walks out of the room. Frank walks over to me and says he couldn't believe that last break and I ask him what he thinks about the kid. He says he is real good shot but it's weird because nothing phases him. He says he shows no emotion even when he is shooting and that's weird and scary at the same time. Frank tells me that if he wins this he is gonna grab the bag of money give it to me and I should just take it straight up to my room and keep it there and make sure no one follows. He is getting a weird feeling that something might go down plus a lot of people know right now that there is a lot of money in the room so we need to get it out of there as soon as possible. I tell him no worries I can handle it and he says just to be sure I should probably go grab my piece just in case. I walk out to my car grab my gun and come back into the room. When I get there I see they have already started the 5th game and the kid is running the table out and he makes a nice cut shot on the 8 to make it 3-2 the kids advantage. Frank racks it up and the kid breaks but doesn't make anything on the break but the table is wide open. Frank steps up to the table and runs it out making 3-3 and we have a really close match going on and I fell like my heart can't take it I am so nervous. I ask Hip how he is doing and he says this is better than any football game he has ever been too and we both laugh a little bit. The kid racks them up but before Frank breaks he ask the kid to do a re rack because it looks a little loose. The kid takes offense and says you think I am trying to shark you and Frank says no offense man I just wanna make sure I have a tight rack. The kid says it's not gonna matter anyways and racks them back up. Before he walks around from the table he says is this rack tight enough your highness and I can tell the kid might be starting to let the pressure get to him a little bit. Frank says nothing and breaks and makes 3 balls on the break and misses a pretty easy shot. He walks over to the table and is down on himself a little bit saying he shouldn't have missed that and I tell him gently caress it don't even think about it just play your game. The kid runs all the way down to the 8 and sticks himself with another tough shot on the 8 ball. He looks at it for a long time trying to decide what to do and he finally plays a beautiful safe on Frank. He pushes one of Franks balls right on top of the 8 ball sticking the 2 balls together. The only problem with this is it gives Frank ball in hand and now Frank can set himself up to run out if he can figure a way to break up the 8 ball and his ball that are stuck together. So frank stares a the table and to me it seems like a good 5 minutes and finally you can see he figures out the solution. He runs 2 balls out and places the cue ball right behind the 8 ball. What this does it makes the Kid have to break up the 8 now or give Frank ball in hand and since he ran a few balls of the table Frank has a better shot at doing a breakout shot to break up the 8 and the other ball stuck together. The kid thinks about it for a real long time then calls the 8 in the side pocket. He hits it and the 8 is going right for the side pocket but it hits the titty and heads straight into the other side pocket and gives Frank the game making it 4-3 and Frank is on the hill now.

Frank only has to win one more game and it's all over and I am starting to feel pretty good. The kid says he wants to go smoke another cigarette and heads outside and Frank walks over and says he has this. The kid comes back in racks the balls up and Frank makes a beautiful break and run to win the 5th game and 20k. The kid walks over shakes his hand the big guy walks over and I see him and frank talking for a few. The big guy pats Frank on the shoulder Frank grabs the money throws it to me and me and Hiphop walk upstairs to the room. We walk into the room and the girls are passed out on the bed and I wake them up by by jumping on the bed telling them it's time to get up. They are pissed and ask me what am I doing and I tell them this what I am doing and dump 40k onto the bed. They both let out high pitched screams and we are celebrating. I tell them to stay there and don't open the door for anyone and head back down to the pool room to check on Frank. I walk into the pool room and I can't find him anywhere. I ask the league operator if he has seen Frank and he says he thought he was at the hotel bar. I walk back to the hotel bar and Frank has a bottle of rum, a bottle of scotch and a bottle of 3 olives vodka walking towards me. He says we are gonna party all loving night and he lets out a huge Woooo and we walk back up to the room. We get into the room and the money is spread out on the bed and it's like Christmas morning to a bunch of degenerates. Everyone is happy and we drink and party until about 5 in the morning and I walk Frank back to his room. He gives me a big hug and thanks me for having faith in him. Hiphop and his girl take off then and I finally lay down to catch up on some sleep.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
That's some intense poo poo. I literally almost broke a sweat reading that. Jesus.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

tomm posted:

That's some intense poo poo. I literally almost broke a sweat reading that. Jesus.

Me too. From reading this thread there are a lot of different ways that situation could have played out :)

Is that the highest stakes that you've seen? What's the most you've played for?

Sorry if these have been asked already, but your most recent adventure got me thinking about it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
poo poo makes me nervous just reading it.

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

by Ralp
Just imagine a bunch of people surrounding a pool table with 40k underneath in a grocery bag...

That's some gladiator poo poo right there.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Yeah no kidding, that was super intense. Now I'm all curious what the deal with the kid is.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bearnt! posted:

Yeah no kidding, that was super intense. Now I'm all curious what the deal with the kid is.

Same. I was assuming he was that nonchalant because he knew if he lost they were gonna just rob jase and Frank.

loving intense!

jase did you ever find out what the big guy said to Frank?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When I got my first job out of college, it didn't pay poo poo, so I got a night job bartending at a dive bar near my house.

People would come in and lie about poo poo all the time. I just assumed everybody was lying about everything. Hell, if I asked what somebody did for a living and they said "plumber", I'd just assume they were lying. It was that kind of people who hung out there, and it was that kind of place.

We get a guy who starts hanging out there, a rough looking guy about 30 years old. Has a mean look to him, but doesn't say much. Starts coming in a few times a week and I get to know him. Eventually figure out that he's a 2nd striker, and is cleaning up his act because if he gets a 3rd strike, he'll go to jail for a long time. Can't say why, but when he tells me this, I believe it with 100% certainty.

Time wears on, and several months in, this guy comes in with a couple of buddies. They look just like him. People you don't want to gently caress with. They start drinking early, and stay late. I'm at the bar, and there are only a few people there. I end up spending most of the night listening to their stories, and asking them questions. They're telling me the most outlandish poo poo I've ever heard of in my life. Stuff you see in gangster movies. Stuff more outlandish than that.

Anybody at this bar could say something mundane and everybody would know they were lying. And this guy was telling me stuff that was completely unbelievable - and I believed every word.

That's how I feel about this thread. There's no way this stuff could all be true. Except I believe it all.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

JiimyPopAli posted:

Me too. From reading this thread there are a lot of different ways that situation could have played out :)

Is that the highest stakes that you've seen? What's the most you've played for?

Sorry if these have been asked already, but your most recent adventure got me thinking about it.

That is no where near the highest stakes I have seen. I don't know if anyone follows poker around here but there is a guy named Viffer who is a pretty famous poker player who is from Cleveland. I remember one night watching High Stakes Poker and seeing him and thinking to myself that looks like Dippy Dave and then I looked at my Facebook friends list and realized he had 2 names. His poker name was Viffer but his pool name was Dippy Dave. I have watched him play for 1ook or more at some places. If you go to the Derby city classic which is a huge pool tournament there are always huge money games there.

The highest stakes I have ever played was a race to 10 for 10k and I won. I think I talked about this earlier in the thread but there really isn't an interesting story to to go with it. I was down 7-4 and made a nice comeback to beat him.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Same. I was assuming he was that nonchalant because he knew if he lost they were gonna just rob jase and Frank.

loving intense!

jase did you ever find out what the big guy said to Frank?

I completely left out that part of the story sorry about that. I kept getting interrupted when I was trying to post this story. They were road players and the big guy was the kids backer. According to frank they had been on the road for about 10 weeks and the kid was crushing it and they had made a lot of money. The big guy was telling Frank that he knew he was better than the kid but he wanted the kid to learn a lesson because the kid was so sure he could beat Frank. It was one of those learning moments where if he loses, he gets that there are people out there that will beat him or hustle him. Franks said there was no bad blood and the guy was talking to him about the road and their experiences and how the kid thinks he is invincible. With a loss like that I expect that kid to become so much better and I wouldn't be surprised if I see him again in June at the Vegas qualifier tournament.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Great last story there Jase. Im a lovely pool player but love feeling when your in the zone and everything is going your way.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do you ever play snooker or billiards?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Probably my favourite story of the thread so far. The bed of money at the end just made it for me. Never stop having crazy adventures.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

jase1 posted:

I completely left out that part of the story sorry about that. I kept getting interrupted when I was trying to post this story. They were road players and the big guy was the kids backer. According to frank they had been on the road for about 10 weeks and the kid was crushing it and they had made a lot of money. The big guy was telling Frank that he knew he was better than the kid but he wanted the kid to learn a lesson because the kid was so sure he could beat Frank. It was one of those learning moments where if he loses, he gets that there are people out there that will beat him or hustle him. Franks said there was no bad blood and the guy was talking to him about the road and their experiences and how the kid thinks he is invincible. With a loss like that I expect that kid to become so much better and I wouldn't be surprised if I see him again in June at the Vegas qualifier tournament.

This is completely awesome in every way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:catstare:

That's a great story.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Loved every second of this thread. Keep the stories coming!

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Every St. Patrick's day me and a group of friends always go to this bar called The Clevelander, it's a tradtion for my close group of friends to wake up at 5 am drive to the rapid station and take the rapid downtown and party and drink all day. This year we changed it up, since the casino has opened up I am at Diamond status which means free valet parking in the casino garage anytime I want. So we all decided to do that instead of meeting at the rapid. We get downtown around 5 am and The Clevelander doesn't open until 6am so we decided to hit the casino for awhile because they start serving drinks again at 530 am. When we get into the casino I go straight the poker room while everyone else plays the slots. I see a 2/5 game going with an open seat and I sit down at a table that is filled with almost all small time drug dealers who I know from various bars around town and I was a customer to them at some time or another. I love playing poker at this time of the day people are tired, drunk and ready to just say gently caress it and go home, but they don't go home they wait for that one hand that is gonna pay them off. Sometimes it works in my favor and sometimes it doesn't. I buy in for $500 and the very first hand in middle position I get dealt KJ of clubs. I raise it to $25 and get 3 callers making the pot size around $100. The flop is the Q109 of clubs giving me a straight flush that can't be beat. In poker we always call this the stone cold nuts there is no card in the deck that could make me lose this hand. I check and everyone else checks and the turn is the Q of hearts which is a card that I like to see. Now I am hoping that someone had a Q and we can get into a big pot or even better someone could have pocket Q's and we would qualify for the bad beat jackpot which if I remember correctly was around 65k. It gets to me and I check again and it checks around and now I am thinking no one has anything. The turn is a 2 of clubs. The player first to act bets out $100 and I raise to $200 leaving me $275 left in my stack. The player next to me pushes all in and he has about $1500 in front of him. The next player folds and it gets back to the original raiser who thinks about it for a long time. He is a guy who I have known for years and he is a coke dealer. He hangs out at this bar on the eastside of Cleveland and basically does all his coke deals there. You go to this bar ask the bartender for him and they point you in his direction. He is a very deliberate thinker and he always takes a long time to act. Finally after I would say about 5 minutes the other guy gets anxious and calls for a clock. The floor comes over and they start they give him a 60 seconds to act or his hand is folded.

When the floor gets to 1 sec the guy calls and I call. They both have over 1k in their stacks so this is a pot thats almost a 4k pot of course I will only get about $1500 of that because I only had $500 in front of me. We all flip our cards and the coke dealer has the ace of clubs for a nut flush and the other guy has pocket 9's for a full house. I triple up in one hand and I am about $1500 now and decide gently caress it I am going to hit and run and parry for free today. I cash out and go find my friends playing blackjack. Its about 6:30 now and I find my friends and we head over to The Clevelander to begin fake celebrating like we are all Irish. We walk in and we are greeted by Mandy who has been the bartender at the Clevelander since I can remember. Mandy is about 5 years older than me and when I was 19 coming there she knew I was underage but would always serve me because I would always spend a lot of money. No one in my circle of friends including my girlfriend know this but me and Mandy have a history. One St. Patrick's day I drank so much that I passed out on booth and people were loving with me and Mandy saved my rear end by getting a few of the dishwashers to pick me up and put me in the office and let me sleep off the alcohol. I woke up at 10 pm with a massive hangover and felt like death. Mandy made me few recovery drinks and I sat at the end of the bar for the rest of the night just shooting the poo poo with her. After the bar cleared out I was ready to start partying again and Mandy wanted to drink. She invited me back to her place and we never started drinking we just banged each others brains out all night. I didn't get her number or anything and I didn't see her again until the next St. Patricks day and we never spoke about what happened. I was single at the time but I am not sure if she was so that may be why it never came up. Anyways ever since that night she has treated us like VIP's when we come there.

So we began drinking and stay at the Clevelander until about 4pm drinking and partying when one of my buddies and his girlfriend decide to they have had enough drinking for the day and they are going to take a taxi home. My girlfriend decides to go with them and I decide to walk down to a this local dive bar called the Hudson. The place is a shithole but they have 4 pool tables and it was the closest place with a table and I felt like shooting. I get to the Hudson and as usual I am the only white guy there. All the tables are full and I ask if I can get next at any of the tables and this guy big fat guy says sure you can shoot winner at this table. I put my quarters on the table and wait my turn. I finally get a chance on the table and I just take over. I beat several guys a couple of times for drinks but can't find anyone who wants to gamble with me. I stay there and shoot and drink with a few of the guys until about 9pm then I decide to head back to the casino to see how the action is. I get to the poker room and it's packed with a huge waiting list for every game so I decide to just play some roulette. I get down to the roulette tables and buy in for 500 and play for about 2 hours and break even. I then head back up to the poker room at about 11 pm and it has died down a lot. I sit down at a 2/5 table and decide to play poker until I am sober so I can drive home. I play until about 2 am and I can't get anything going and I lose 2 buy ins which is basically my profit from earlier in the day so I decide to call it quits. I start to head back to my car when my phone rings and it's wally who owns a pool hall in Cleveland. He has a road player in town who is looking for action and he said there are already a few people on their way who want to play him so first come first serve. I figure gently caress it I have the day off tomorrow and I can try to win some money to make it a nice way to end the day.

I show up to the pool hall and it's basically Wally and a 4 people who I don't recognize and I ask wally who the newbies are. He says they are with the road player. I ask the guy if wants to play a few and he says sure what do you guys play around here. I tell him name the game and stakes and he says he wants to play 9-ball for $100 a game. I tell him sure I just need to go get my stick out of my car. I walk out to my car and decide to grab my gun just in case something goes down. I am all by myself and I am not taking a chance with road players because you never know what will happen. I ask the guy what his name is and he tells me its ghost. I ask him why and he says just a nickname I have got over the years. I then proceed to get my ask kicked 9 straight games in a row. No matter what I did it just didn't work out for me, I still don't know if I was tired or I was just off my game or he was most likely just a better player than me. Ghost was really cool and didn't talk poo poo he just kept to himself and showed no emotion. The 3 other guys he was with were just like that too I told him that I needed to go get more money and I headed out to my car to dip into my emergency stash because I wanted to play him some more. My ego was getting the best of me and I felt like if I played him long enough he would crack and I could get some money. As I am in my trunk getting some money out some guy comes out of nowhere and pushes me to the ground. He pulls a knife out of his pocket and asks me for all my money. I tell him okay and I reach in my jacket to pull my gun out when ghost comes flying out of nowhere and hits the dude with his pool stick in the back of the head. It doesn't even phase the dude but he turns his attention to ghost and I pull my gun on him and point it right at his chest. He drops the knife and gets on his knees and begs me not to kill him. By this time all the other guys are out there including Wally who calls the police. I tell the guy to lay on his face and ghost sits on him. The police show up and the guy starts spouting bullshit that we robbed him. Wally tells the cops he has the whole thing on tape and the cops go watch video of what happened. They come out arrest the guy ask to see my gun which I carry legally so I have no issue showing it to them. They run all of our info and we all check out okay and they take the guy to book him. After everything dies down I thank ghost for stepping in because I was sure I was going to have to shoot him. I told ghost when I first got hit I actually thought it was him or his guys and they were going to rob me. I told him that I grabbed my gun when I went to the car earlier because I was afraid they might start something and as it turned out they were really standup guys and saved my rear end. Ghost started laughing and said he actually came out to see if I was still there. He thought I was taking off because I didn't have any money left. We both laughed and decided to go get some breakfast at Denny's. We bullshited for awhile and ghost picked up the tab and said he was moving on to the next town.

So all in all it was a pretty lovely St. Patricks day for me, I lost about 2k and almost got robbed but hey I am still alive to gamble another day.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Love opening up this thread to a new wall of jase1 text. Thanks for taking the time to write out your adventures.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Oh drat, that's some intense poo poo right there.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

I have talked about the Godfather in this thread before. He owns a cigar store in downtown Cleveland which he inherited from his father and recently the landlords decided to evict him because they didn't just didn't want him there anymore. This little cigar store is where I learned a lot of what I know about poker today. The Godfather, I will call him JC for short it's another of his many nicknames he has, he has always opened his store and home for poker players. I remember along time a go before I was apart of the inner circle of this small poker group I showed up at his apartment for a secret game that they only invited 9 players too. If you got the invite it meant one of two things either you were a fish or they really liked you and wanted to keep you around. I of course was a fish at first, I knew nothing about Texas Holdem except that I always thought an Ace in my hand meant I should play it fast and strong the whole way. The first time I got invited to this game I remember have A3 of hearts and hitting a flush on the river after calling an all in on the turn for my whole stack. The guy I called against was furious because I put so much money in on the turn. In hindsight I should of folded but I knew nothing about poker at the time and I got lucky. I ended up cashing out for a few grand basically on pure luck. Usually if you have the biggest stack of the night you wait until last to cash out. It's common courtesy just in case the bank comes up short and it takes longer when you have a bigger stack to cash out. So it was the end of the night and I was the last one there with JC and he counted my chips and gave me my money and asked if I wanted a drink. I said sure and he pulled out a bottle of scotch and we sat and bullshited about poker until about 7am. He told me about strategy and why the guy was mad at me and things like that. As I was getting ready to leave he gave me a book which at the time I didn't realize it was such an important book in the poker world. He gave me Doyle Burnson's Super system and for the next few weeks I read the book while I was on the shitter. I eventually forgot about the book and it stayed in my bookshelf for a long time.

In 2006 when I played in a few events in the WSOP as I was packing I remember looking at my bookshelf for something to read on the plane and I came across this book again. I figured what better way to get ready to play a weeks worth of poker by reading the book. When I got to Vegas I saw Doyle Brunson was just roaming around freely and you could get easy access to him. I went back to my room got the book and he signed it for me and I thought this will make a great gift for JC. I never did give him the book until this past weekend I was planning on purchasing a nice expensive bottle of scotch but then I remember the book and what a great gift it would be considering it was his to begin with. All the people I met through poker knew JC, he was loved by so many and now he is moving out of town to California to retire and play poker until he dies (his words not mine). We decided to have one last drinkament as we call it this weekend. We decide to go to the Tilted Kilt which is right across from the casino and get drinks and dinner. There were about 25 people and it was a blast. Some of the people I had not seen in years because they moved out of town or just all together stopped gambling because they had a family now or couldn't afford or for other various reasons. Everyone brought JC very expensive bottles of scotch and things of the sort. Finally after some time I got a chance to sit down and talk to him while other people were conversing and I told him about all of this. I pulled out the book and told him how much of an impact the book and his conversations over the years had on me. His eyes widened and he said I completely forgot about this book. I told him the story about meeting Brunson at the WSOP and getting it signed and forgetting about it until now. He was so happy and was so thankful that I got it signed and returned it to him and it was just an awesome moment between two really good old friends. After we finished dinner and drinking way to much alcohol we decided to head over to the casino and take over the poker room.

There were 9 of us who wanted to play poker and because all of us were diamond members and knew the poker room manager so he let us open our own table and play poker at our own separate table away from the fishes. It was a great time we made it a 2/5 NL holdem game with mandatory straddles and you had to show at least one of your cards if you won the pot. So if you raised someone and they folded you still had to show one of your cards. We all bought in for $200 and it was the craziest game of poker. The very first hand 3 guys went all in blind before the cards were dealt out the guy with the worse hand of 94 tripled up. I ended up losing 1k in the game but it was the most fun I ever had losing at poker. When me and JC were in a hand I put a really big bluff on him on the river and he was thinking about when he decided to reference the book. He pulled it out thumbed through the pages to get to the section on bluffs and proceed to read out loud what he should do in this situation and he decided to call me and he won with a pair of 4's. We played until about 4am and then we headed back to his apartment which was in walking distance. We continued to drink until I passed out and woke up at about 10 am in a living room with 8 other guys passed out every where. It was an amazing going away party even though I lost about 2k in total at the casino. 1k in poker and another 1k at the craps table.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

jase1 posted:

He pulled it out thumbed through the pages to get to the section on bluffs and proceed to read out loud what he should do in this situation and he decided to call me and he won with a pair of 4's.

I've read and loved basically all of your stories, especially the one where the road player helped you out from getting robbed, but this right here is the best moment of the thread.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Not a real long story this time but I thought you guys might like it. My girlfriends grandfather is a very religious man every since the first day I met him we have discussed religion on numerous occasions. He is not a judgmental person by any means he believes it but at the same time thinks it's not his place to judge other people by what they do. Every time I see him which is usually about once a month he will give me a brand new $100 bill and tell me to play it on 12 red the next time I go the casino. He is currently really sick with a bad infection around his heart right now he is 84 years old and he had a valve replacement done 7 years ago. The infection has really messed up the valve so he is going to have surgery again on Monday. So we go to see him and as usual he is in great spirits his take is that if it's his time to go he lived a great life and so be it. I spent a few hours with him in the hospital and I was showing him pictures of the coal mine I toured a few months ago with some family in West Virgina. He loved that considering he was a coal miner for a few years himself. As we were getting ready to leave he asked his wife to give him his wallet. He pulled out another brand new $100 bill and said this may be the last time I do this but go play 12 red for me. We decided after we left that we would just swing by the casino and play it for him. I went up to the table told the lady to give me 1 black chip and I am going to play it all on 1 number. The pit boss came over and asked me what was the significance of playing it all on 1 number and I told him the story and he said good luck I hope you hit it. I didn't play it the first few times because I was talking to a few of the dealers I knew but I finally put it down on red 12 and waited those 10 seconds before the ball lands on a number and it hit. I couldn't believe it had hit after a few minutes of people checking everything they walked over with a rack of black chips and I was ready to cash out and show him his winnings. It was still early enough that we could drive back to the hospital and visit him and let him know the good news. We walked back in his room and he asked why we were there and I pulled out his winnings and placed it on the table and told him it hit. His eyes light up like Christmas and he started laughing. He said I never expected you to tell me it hit I was just hoping to live vicariously through you. I told him it's a gamblers code that if I bet something for you I have to be honest about it. He said thanks and grabbed the money counted it up to make sure it was all there and took 1 $100 bill and put it back in his wallet. He then gave me another $100 bill and said do it again and then took the rest of it and gave it to my girlfriend and said this is your guys wedding gift from us. I was blown away I thought maybe he would split the money with me which is usually what happens but no he gave us the whole thing. It pays to be honest sometimes.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
What are the odds/payout on that? I'm a big babby and only play slot machines because I don't want to talk to people.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 4, 2013

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
God dammit. I'm tearing up now. :3:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

thylacine posted:

What are the odds/payout on that? I'm a big babby and only play slot machines because I don't want to talk to people.

A single number hit on Roulette usually pays between 32:1 and 30:1, depending on the casino. Real odds are between 36 and 38:1.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
35:1 last time I checked, plus you get your original bet back as well. Great story as always jase :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Awesome story. Glad it happened when it did.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Wow american casino's really slap you with the odds. Round here we get 36:1 on a 37:1 board.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

I have only ever seen the odds be 35 to 1 but it may be different somewhere else. I tell you what when I first went to a casino I was so intimidated by everything going on so I understand why you would only play slots they are easy and no one will bother you but really just throw your money into a fire pit you would probably have more fun. If you are scared go tell a pit boss this is your first time playing a table game and you need some tips. Sometimes they will open a table just for new players and even give you fake money to bet so you can get the feel of it and if you play something and someone at the table gets pissed at you tell them it's your money and you will play it however you like. The casino wants you to play those table games so they will help you feel comfortable in order to play them. Also if you ever come to Cleveland PM me on here I would take someone to the casino and teach them how to play it would be a poo poo ton of fun and we could drink for free in the diamond lounge.

Sometimes when I play craps people get really mad at me because I play the Don't pass line a lot which means I want the shooter to lose and people hate that. So I do it a lot because I like to gently caress with drunks at the casino and its pretty entertaining and to top it off I usually win a decent amount doing that.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
This is an amazing thread Jase, I read the entirety of it up to this point in one sitting. Are you planning on continuing with the stories or are you basically done?

I'm a pretty good pool player myself (I was a good APA 7 when I stopped playing league) and I'm curious about a few of the comments you've made. You use a custom McDermott and I want to know if you've tried playing with any of their low deflection shafts (G-Core or any of the I-Shafts) or if you just prefer the straight maple shafts? What brand tip do you use?

I love to gamble but I don't ever really hustle people and the action has completely dried up where I'm at. No one at any bars will play for more than drinks. Even at the pool hall my options are basically give up a big spot to play ten dollar sets against weak players which barely covers table time or play better players than me that won't give me more than a game on the wire for fifty or a hundred dollars. I'm jealous of the pool culture where you are. Any advice on how to drum up action? I'm at the point where I just play with my good friends for chump change instead of bothering to try and find a game.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Correction on the Roulette odds, I was mistaken, its 35-1 on a 37-1 chance. Hardly ever play that game.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
For the record I was honestly nervous for your uncle frank with the road player and the $40k stakes game, half an hour after I read that I still had that feeling of anxiety - You tell a good story.

Question about staking / backing players. What's the percentage when your guy wins? Like you and hiphop staked your uncle 5k each, do you double your money, 50%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I happened to be in the local card room the other night playing poker with Ken Doherty and Stephen Hendry and it made me think of this thread. I know you're more of a pool than a snooker guy but I kept expecting some crazy jase1 type antics to kick off. Sadly it didn't was a fun game though, Ken is a pretty wild poker player but nothing happened that was thread worthy.

Although one guy was in a pretty decent sized pot against some random, board was something like Q8565 no flush. 1st guy announces two pair without showing his cards, the 2nd guy turns over KK and totally misses the paired board, just gets up and walks out before anyone has a chance to point out he also has (a likely better) two pair. Poor fella.

• Locked thread