Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool, Gullus and I are in Seattle, ClutchPuck is about 30 minutes north of Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqdH8ik9dc

Need more sweet dirt bike videos.

This is me on the left at China Hat waiting for the rest of the group to catch up.

I don't have any good action shots since everyone in the group was riding.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 11, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
First race of the season. Kind of a bummer.

Jason "One Lap" Hubbert checking in with race report.

Got in about 10:30 or so found my bros and went and got checked in. Race was delayed a bit but these things happen and it wasn't a huge amount of time so not a big deal. This is my first race of the season and first time using my new go pro. They both kinda sucked.

BWFF's!

Was lined up next to Joe in trail riders and did my usual start of let everyone go then take off. Kit has a video of the trailriders start and I told him to burn it because I look like a complete spode(which I am). Now we're off the line and tailing Joe and we're rocking along through some wide open stuff and some single track and some mud bogs. Actually did a lot better on the mud bogs than I figured I would have but then ROOTS! Roots cutting across the trail on a left hand turn. Joe squirreled it a bit and made it through fine. Myself? I hit them, squirrelled it and spun around but kept it up, was heading towards and tree and spun it around again and then one more spin out and was basically a 360 over the roots. I'm positive it looked comical. Another rider coming up behind me and I decided to let them go past but she hit the roots and dropped it. Helped her get the bike back up and started and going and she takes off. Another rider coming, hits roots, drops it. I'm already parked so help him get back up and get started again as well. I get back on my bike and start crossing the roots straight on and drop it. I'm like, REALLY!?

Joe's ride.

After picking it back up I was back on trail and having fun. Course was damp and muddy in spots as well as some rocky climbs but I kinda like that stuff so was having a good time. I'm clipping along and then get caught by Joiner(super fast guy who won). I pull over and then it's just a freight train of people coming through. So I'm basically parked as all of them are faster than I am so I'm just going to get in the way. Finally get a gap and from there on I'm doing about 100 yard trail sprints then having to move over for someone. Lotta bikes, small loop, so that kinda sucked.

lol twinkies!

At one point while I was pulled over I put my goggles up on my helmet but the didn't stay and flipped down into my eyes and knocked out my left contact. :( Sucked. BUT! I found it on my seat and I had eye drops so could put it back in, I don't have a kick stand so on my slow roll up to a tree I guess some brush knocked it off. I searched for it for a bit but absolutely no luck of course, I'm in an effing forest. Get back on the bike and the ride back to the finish is nuts. Judging lines was out the window as one eye seeing clear and the other blurry sucks, so I bounced off a few trees, made sure to get out of peoples way, and fell over again one time when I parked over a hole staying out of the way.

TBBR

Finished my lap, headed back to the truck, hung out with Kit and the pit board and twerked it for Tim which almost made him crash. Bummer is when I get home, my go pro only has 7 min on it. It SD card errored out. Reinsert card and it's fine again. SON OF A... So zero footage of any antics of my spode riding. :( Found out later after testing it would freeze after about 2 min of recording. Then decided it didn't want to turn back on. Then figured out hard reset and would turn on, then freeze and not turn back on. Basically a brick. Others have had them brick out too. Took it back to best buy and exchanged it hoping that this one decides to be awesome.

Around 110 bikes on a roughly 4 mile course.

For racing, I need to get faster, right now I'm just an obstacle, so think I'm just going to ride on the weekends and try to get faster then maybe give it another go at Turkey Creek race. Then again in the fall. Pulling over every 30sec to Min isn't the funnest riding I've ever done. Need more seat time/stamina.

Me!

Cheers!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver!

~*MY GIRLFRIEND*~ wrote this blog post about two months ago at her first race. Looks very similar to what you just posted! Thought you might enjoy.

A quote to prime you:

"My first, overwhelming impression is that I should not be doing this, because I am in everybody's way. One-third of my way into my first lap, people are already lapping me--the front runners, and then the whole pack. I am crashing, stalling, or just falling over at a steady rate of once per minute, and my arms are getting tired."

http://idbb-vt.blogspot.com/2013/03/gravity-by-tko-in-2nd-round-i-go-to-j.html

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Nice, that was a good read. :cheers:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have you ever ridden with prescription goggles? They are seriously awesome and solve the contact/glasses issue. Get some tearoffs and you're golden

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pretty much everywhere doesn't let you use tear offs.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Jim: I have not. Normally my contacts are fine though, just the way I tucked them up under my helmet visor wasn't far enough so when they flipped down it put the foam right in my eyes. I should have just taken them off completely. Lesson learned. No biggy though as I have the one a day, wear them once, toss em, so not like I"m out a whole bunch. Will probably start taking an extra pair with me just in case from now on.

n8: Maybe where you're at but I was running 2 tear offs and a buddy of mine was running 5 tear offs(which is too many he said he'd stick with 3 or less next time). Even if they were outlawed you could just get some roll offs and be solid.

:cheers:

CorBrapGi...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Silver posted:

n8: Maybe where you're at but I was running 2 tear offs and a buddy of mine was running 5 tear offs(which is too many he said he'd stick with 3 or less next time). Even if they were outlawed you could just get some roll offs and be solid.

Around here we don't ugly-up our scablands.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No the 4x4 and Quadtards do that.

Can't piss off the side of a trail without staring at a trail side river of Busch lite cans and jerky wrappers. gently caress.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was going for the irony of keeping "scablands" looking nice. But yeah those fat bastards make a hell of a mess, I bring grocery bags in my backpack and usually try to pick up a few of the less gross-looking cans to haul out.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Create biodegradable tear-offs and make a fortune.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No one does cleanup rides? I've seen more than a few times where people go on rides and just pick up trash

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I haven't done any clean up rides yet. I do try and leave with more trash than I came with though and always try to make sure I pick up all my own stuff. Tear offs I have, but honestly I haven't even torn one off on the trail. Also lot of guys will just stuff them in the waists of their pants or under their chest protectors from what I know when they do need to tear them off on the trails.

We call them quadrosexuals, and yes they can leave a big ol party mess for sure. First 2 races they had to announce to everyone to effin pick up after themselves as the joints were TRASHED when everyone left.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I rode Jordan Creek in the Tillamook State Forest yesterday. It was pretty challenging with the snow and clay on rocks, especially on steep downhills. I did a faceplant on one of the rocks on a downhill, but with all the gear I wear it didn't even hurt. The evs jersey I got did a pretty good job protecting my elbows on that one.

My CRF450R:

Towing setup:

The only damage from my face plant:

The bent brake pedal would get scary in some of the downhills as I'm trying to catch what edge was left.

Also I'm going to get a 53 tooth rear sprocket as my gearing is much to high for the tight technical trails.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 15, 2013

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got a new helmet, pants, knee pads, and 53t sprocket in the mail.

I got the most ridiculous helmet they had.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/VEGA-FLYTE-HELMET-HORROR-GRAPHIC#reviews

I got a steel sprocket since I'm getting heavy into rough trails. It was a pleasant surprise to open the box and find out it was black. It's a bland silver color on motosport. It should look pretty good once I get it on the bike.

I'm going to Brown's Camp in the Tillamook State Forest this weekend. But before I can go I have to get that sprocket on, adjust the valves (the intakes are way out of spec) and adjust the clutch.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Vague post ahead. I want to pick up a small, old dirtbike (I've been looking at 85s recently), but I know jack poo poo about this segment of motorcycles. I just want something junky, but still operational, to dick around on and teach family members to ride.

What models should I keep in mind, and what should I be expecting to pay for something less-than-pristine?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 20, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$1500 on a first dirtbike? No woods around here - just desert and sand. I like inverted forks... Slight preference to 2t over 4t unless I can be persuaded otherwise.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3748287432.html ?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3752678126.html ?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 20, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Vague post ahead. I want to pick up a small, old dirtbike (I've been looking at 85s recently), but I know jack poo poo about this segment of motorcycles. I just want something junky, but still operational, to dick around on and teach family members to ride.

What models should I keep in mind, and what should I be expecting to pay for something less-than-pristine?

Yamaha TTR110 is my pick. E-start, bulletproof, 700bux-ish

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

AncientTV posted:

You want something air cooled and four stroke.

BlackMK4 posted:

$1500 on a first dirtbike? No woods around here - just desert and sand. I like inverted forks... Slight preference to 2t over 4t unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

Either bike would be fine - plan on doing a top end when you get either.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd go the second one, personally, it's cheaper and looks pretty well maintained. Obviously pictures can lie so you'd have to check it out when you get there, though.

Having said that, a yz125 will be a bit of a bitch to learn on as it'll likely stall out pretty easy and probably have too much power for a lot of beginners (unless they're huge). Having said that, I haven't ridden a 2t 125 in a couple of years and it was my first real bike so I could be mis-remembering. A yz250f if you're looking for something to grow into or a ttr230/crf230 4t would be pretty decent starter bikes, as they won't be so on or off like a 2 stroker smoker will be.

Of course all this is just my 2c.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Guni posted:

Of course all this is just my 2c.

I more or less agree. You cannot lug a 125, for hills you need to fan the clutch to effectively ride it. I always tell people to find a KDX200 or KDX220 for a good starter bike that you can have for years.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

VTNewb posted:

Yamaha TTR110 is my pick. E-start, bulletproof, 700bux-ish

n8r posted:

You want something air cooled and four stroke.

Thanks guys, off to Craigslist I go

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

I more or less agree. You cannot lug a 125, for hills you need to fan the clutch to effectively ride it. I always tell people to find a KDX200 or KDX220 for a good starter bike that you can have for years.

All he has to ride around him is sand and DOONZ. You won't do much lugging in that stuff anyway. I started out on a 125 riding similar stuff and it was a good choice.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

n8r posted:

All he has to ride around him is sand and DOONZ. You won't do much lugging in that stuff anyway. I started out on a 125 riding similar stuff and it was a good choice.

I've never ridden DOONZ so listen to n8

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

VTNewb posted:

I've never ridden DOONZ so listen to n8

I didn't read the dunes bit either. A yz125 would be a decent bike for that sort of riding where you don't really have to manhandle the bike. Having said that, it's still important to consider who will be riding it, obviously if it's a 10 year old girl, yeah you probably don't want a yz125, but if its a normal sized man/woman they should be fine.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3712929824.html

If this has good compression, I can only assume a still-dirty carb, bad plug, needs valve adjustment, or something like a clogged fuel line. I know the 400s are indestructible, but how are these 125s? Would this be a pretty safe buy?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Bob and I riding at Stillwater. Lotta cussing in the video, apparently I turn into a sailor while on a dirt bike or something. Also very start of the vid you'll see how I got this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXESN-MWCs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I swear every time I ride, I come back with a tattoo, so I feel your pain, man.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Does anyone know of an Iphone app I could get that would map my track with GPS?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motionx-GPS will record tracks and spit out a gpx file when you're done

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Someone talk me out of dumping my yz450 for a 300xcw, please :ohdear:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

300 w/ a linkage? Or the old style stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
For woods riding? No contest. Get the ktm.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah if you're moving to trails there is no saying don't do that. Absolutely do that.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
yep I am too big of a pussy to huck myself through the air on a motocross track any more (I've always sucked at it anyway) and much prefer woods riding to begin with. couple that with the fact I am going to make myself do a couple hare scrambles this year regardless of what bike I'm on.... the 300 seems like a decent choice. can't wait to get my 2smoke back on!

n8r the xcw has the direct link shock and no gas cartridges in the forks like the xc does.. it's set up a little softer but is more compliant for slow riders like me lol

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have the 450 XC-W and it's loving AWESOME. I probably would have bought a 300 had it been FI, which was one of the things I really wanted. Plus I've never been able to ride one.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I geared my crf450r down and don't have a problem now. Of course getting a woods specific bike would be ideal but I can't afford that and I ride a variety of terrain anyways.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'd probably look into the cost of re-tuning your suspension for the woods and re-gearing vs. swapping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah but how do you account for the costs of broken bones? Is it a ratio of time off the bike vs. medical bills?