Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Just tell them you did and if they suggest otherwise, tell em you don't know what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

cucurbit posted:

Did you not put in your 2 weeks notice?

I bet he did, he's just over thinking things again.

Benny, for what it's worth I think you actually did good at the job fair and I'm really impressed that you seem to still have a positive attitude about this whole job search thing. People are making GBS threads on you left and right for legitimate and non-legitimate reasons in my opinion (LIke seriously, what's up with the guy who's obsessed with United Way? He seems convinced that you are doomed if you don't call them RIGHT NOW) I think it really says a lot that you haven't let it get to you and you've continued to put yourself out there and stay positive.

I do think you are doing some things wrong, and I do think you lack some common sense so you should continue to follow some of the advice in this thread, but I wanted pop in and say "hang in there!". Staying positive and confident is a HUGE part of job searching. If you can go into an interview knowing you can do a great job, it'll really help convince the interviewer that you're the right person.

People are criticizing you for not working 50 hours a week to get a job, but I'm wondering if some of this is because of your ADD (assuming it hasn't gone away in adulthood as many kid's ADD does). I say this not because you should use it as an excuse to not get things done, but because there are ways you can work with your brain and manage yourself to ensure you DO get things done. What works for everyone does not always work for someone with ADD. If you have a library card or a bit of extra cash to pick up some books, I'd really recommend picking up "Driven to Distraction" and "You Mean I'm not Lazy stupid or Crazy?" from Amazon/the bookstore.

Assuming you still have ADD in adulthood, both books will really help you understand what causes the disorder, how it works, and how to manage it with AND without medication. Both books really helped me out when I was first diagnosed (I was misdiagnosed with a learning disability as a child, diagnosed with ADD as an adult), and gave me many ideas on how to set up my life for success without medication (before I decided to try it).

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Benny the Snake posted:

By the way: that's what I was reading on my way up to campus. I did a literature regimen last spring: I read Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Toole, and Chandler in order to become a better writer. I'm not sure if it helped, but it sure did expand my horizons. I'm going to try that again right now.

English major haver checking in again.

Reading to become a better writer is the smallest part of becoming a writer. I knowmpeople who cannot write a coherent memo who read good literature. The key is to write a lot all the time. You will create crap for a long time and then maybe start getting better. Most writers I know write 8-10 hours a day and read after they are done.

Admit reading is an enriching hobby. It is not going to make you into a great writer.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Xenocides posted:

Reading to become a better writer is the smallest part of becoming a writer. I knowmpeople who cannot write a coherent memo who read good literature. The key is to write a lot all the time. You will create crap for a long time and then maybe start getting better. Most writers I know write 8-10 hours a day and read after they are done.

Admit reading is an enriching hobby. It is not going to make you into a great writer.

I'm genuinely curious, why do so many fiction writers say that being a good reader is the most important skill to be a good writer?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Xenocides posted:

An addition to that would probably be "finish pieces" though. Writing and rewriting Chapter 1 8 hours per day for 5 years will produce a decent chapter 1, but probably an awful writer still.

If you are a perfectionist over "your book", write some short stories instead. Get into the habit of finishing things.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

I'm genuinely curious, why do so many fiction writers say that being a good reader is the most important skill to be a good writer?

I have heard this but I take it to mean that you are a good reader who reads as a writer. When you read for enjoyment you enjoy it. When you read to become a better writer you pick apart why you enjoyed it. Unless you are a natural writing genius you have to write often and edit your own work often for reading to help. You cannot become a good writer because you enjoy Hemingway. If you are a mediocre writer trying to learn what works in Hemingway you have a solid chance to become better.

I guess I just disagree. I think writing is the most important skill for a writer.

Quick analogy. A video game designer needs to understand programming first. Then they play games to find out what works and what does not. This does not mean that Joe Neckbeard living in mom's basement is improving his video game design skills by playing EVE for 12 hours a day. He might be expanding his horizons in some way similar to reading great literature (though I am enough of a literature snob to doubt it) as Benny may have but I doubt Benny or Joe are becoming more skilled at writing or at design.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

BrainParasite posted:

The same reason you watch how an NFL defensive end plays the position when you're playing DE in high school. You see how he plays the position.

When you're reading to improve your writing, you're not reading a story and ho boy that Harry Potter sure is a good read! You are analyzing how the J.K. Rowling introduces character traits and develops characters, etc. etc. You basically figure out why a piece of writing works and see if it applies to your voice.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I am now almost wanting to write a story about Joe Neckbeard and Benny sharing an apartment and getting up to all kinds of wacky hijinks.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

I'm going to use the word creative in a hopefully non-pretentious way - I'm talking about anyone who creates "art" whether it is a writer or a dancer or a painter or a singer.

Bad creatives/hopeful creatives will say enjoying a lot of creative works is vital to learning how to be a good creative.

Good creatives will observe other creative works and dissect them to their elemental pieces to isolate them, reconstruct and assimilate the techniques.

Observation is the hardest to train skill for any creative endeavor - when we "enjoy" a creative work, whether it is playing a game or reading a book and getting lost in that world, you are experiencing the end result but not seeing the construction therein. To observe a piece of fiction or a woman's face or a melody is to look past those experiences and see the elements of construction behind it.

Film Study is one of those college electives that people take thinking they'll be enjoying, when the entire focus is on observation - if you've ever known someone who has taken a (good) film study class, they'll start talking about mise-en-scene and generally be obnoxious in their dissection of whatever movie you're watching with them. This is because they're observing the construction of the film rather than watching the slowmotion titsplosion.

An essential part of observation, however, is experimentation, and testing theories. You can only theorize and test so much of a final product for the construction methods - imagine a book as a house - by looking at the walls and soffits you can get an idea as to the stud construction and maybe some of the plumbing or wiring, but you're still only guessing as to the full construction. So you need to build a house yourself to get a better handle on how the details of that construction works.

Reading books to become a writer is like eating food to become a chef.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Xenocides posted:

I have heard this but I take it to mean that you are a good reader who reads as a writer. When you read for enjoyment you enjoy it. When you read to become a better writer you pick apart why you enjoyed it. Unless you are a natural writing genius you have to write often and edit your own work often for reading to help. You cannot become a good writer because you enjoy Hemingway. If you are a mediocre writer trying to learn what works in Hemingway you have a solid chance to become better.

I guess I just disagree. I think writing is the most important skill for a writer.

Quick analogy. A video game designer needs to understand programming first. Then they play games to find out what works and what does not. This does not mean that Joe Neckbeard living in mom's basement is improving his video game design skills by playing EVE for 12 hours a day. He might be expanding his horizons in some way similar to reading great literature (though I am enough of a literature snob to doubt it) as Benny may have but I doubt Benny or Joe are becoming more skilled at writing or at design.

I think it somewhat depends what kind of writing you're doing. If it's technical writing, some kinds of journalistic writing, etc., simply getting down the format, appropriate language, vocabulary, etc. will suffice, and practicing that writing over and over will make a person an expert. When it comes to other kinds of writing, however, such as novel writing, I think it's harder to develop a compelling style without seeing what others have done, and continuing to read other writers' work. In either case, though, you're right that constant practice is necessary.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've got a big question: is it a faux paus to reverse engineer a cover letter? I've written one for a company that was featured at a fair, and I figured I could just switch around a few names and change a few things for a different company. Is this a good idea or no?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

I've got a big question: is it a faux paus to reverse engineer a cover letter? I've written one for a company that was featured at a fair, and I figured I could just switch around a few names and change a few things for a different company. Is this a good idea or no?

Are you reading your own thread?

edit: These were from the very last page, and were the posts you SHOULD be studying if you are writing cover letters right now.

cname posted:

It's incredibly important that you come across as someone who is enthusiastic about deciding your next step in life, as opposed to someone who is all downtrodden and desperate for work. You can smell the difference, the second a candidate enters the interview room.

Sure, if you see a mediocre posting that your not particularly fond of, shoot them a broiler-plate cover letter/resume just to throw another piece of kindling on the fire. For the good postings your really interested in, you need to be putting some heart, thought and creativity into your cover letters.

I know I haven't given you much direct information. I specifically decided not to, because I wanna see what you can come up with. If you can figure out how to write an elegant cover letter, on your own, it will be a hell of a lot more valuable than scrawling out some broiler-plate cover letter that everyone ignores.

Trust me, it's extremely easy to tell if someone's cover letter was pre-written vs written specifically for one of our job postings.

PurePerfection posted:

I want to reiterate that this is extremely good advice, and you should reread it before you send any more letters.

I used to work as a teaching assistant for several MBA-level business communications courses, and the biggest part of my job was providing feedback on documents like cover letters.

The most common problems were, as cname commented, generic boilerplate letters and cover letters that reiterated the resume without providing any new or useful information. You should never be using a "find and replace" function to convert a cover letter sent to one company into a letter than can be quickly sent to another. Start from scratch. It's time-consuming, but at this point, you have more than enough free time to handle it. Again, you should be using your idle time as a competitive advantage over candidates who are working at other jobs or still in school.

Think of a cover letter as a way to highlight the parts of your resume that you feel are most important to the job in question. You shouldn't mention every item on your resume. Start with an intro paragraph that explains who you are, what position you're applying for, and why you want it.

Then, pick two or three major points (could be skills or previous work experiences) and elaborate on them in your letter. Provide additional information that didn't fit on your resume, and most critically, explain how the skill or experience you're describing relates to the new position you want.. To make this part even stronger, you can borrow words and phrases from the job description and use them in your explanation. Each major point should have its own body paragraph.

Finally, conclude with a paragraph summarizing your points, restating your interest in the job, and expressing a desire to pursue this application further through a phone conversation/interview/whatever. Make sure you include your phone number and email address in this paragraph for easy reference.

I wrote an extremely detailed guide to cover letters for a university workshop that I taught a couple of years ago - it's a few too many pages to copy/paste here without looking ridiculous. The workshop audience were prospective investment bankers, but I kept the content general enough to apply to other industries. If you would like me to send you this as a PDF when I get home later tonight, please PM me with your email address. (If anyone else is interested, happy to do the same for other goons.)

Or has the thread just officially jumped the shark? Is that an admission that you are a puppet master, Benny?

Masonity fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So you mentioned autistic spectrum disorder, albeit incorrectly referring to ADD. Has a professional ever suggested that you might be in that spectrum? The behavior people keep making GBS threads on you for is similar to lines of thinking and behavior I've seen in people with high functioning autism.

And if that is the case I wish I had some good news, but you got dealt a pretty terrible hand either way.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So you mentioned autistic spectrum disorder, albeit incorrectly referring to ADD. Has a professional ever suggested that you might be in that spectrum? The behavior people keep making GBS threads on you for is similar to lines of thinking and behavior I've seen in people with high functioning autism.

And if that is the case I wish I had some good news, but you got dealt a pretty terrible hand either way.
Eh, genetics hosed me over really good. I don't know my exact vision, but I'm both nearsighted and farsighted and I have a stigmatism. And my optometrist told me I'm not able to get laser eye surgery. At this rate, I'm probably going to go blind.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Just retool and steal someone else's hard work- you really are a budding writer! Jesus Christ guy, don't be so drat lazy!

ATTN: hiring managers name, their position. Call and find out the name of the person hiring, this shows initiative. If you're lucky enough to have that person on the phone, introduce yourself and let them know you're applying- show some personality.
RE: JOB POSITION GOES HERE

Explain where you saw the posting, your name and if your education was related to the job. If not, express your interest in the position.

Explain here WHY you not only think why you can lend to this position but how you can learn from it too. What personality traits make you a desirable candidate? Are you willing to adapt to new situations? Are you able to stay cool with deadlines?

Thank them for their time, let them know how to contact you, leave your name and email address and phone number. If your email is something stupid like dungeonmaster324058@hotmail.com, do yourself a favour and get a gmail for exactly this purpose. Bsnake or whatever your name is. Cover letters should never be more than a page.

For retail, I honestly have never seen a cover letter make a difference. Be honest for gods sake.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 25, 2013

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
You are literally a retard human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

SchrodingersFish posted:

Benny, for what it's worth I think you actually did good at the job fair and I'm really impressed that you seem to still have a positive attitude about this whole job search thing. People are making GBS threads on you left and right for legitimate and non-legitimate reasons in my opinion (LIke seriously, what's up with the guy who's obsessed with United Way? He seems convinced that you are doomed if you don't call them RIGHT NOW)

Benny needs a job.

The Dept of Labor, United Way, and Goodwill offer job placement opportunities.

It's not like it would be some massive undertaking for him to call one or all of them. Sometimes they get job offers that don't go on SimplyHired or Indeed, or whatever. It's not that he's ZOMG DOOMED if he doesn't call them right the gently caress now, but why not call? If he's sending out resumes and getting stonewalled, getting interviews but still getting stonewalled, and getting jobs but still getting fired within the first week, these are places that can help him either find better jobs or give him the job skills he needs (or point him to other resources).

Not calling them is incredibly dumb at this point.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Are you serious?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BrainParasite posted:

They want to sell you their books. :v:

neon tarsier
Sep 14, 2007

not much chance for survival

Benny the Snake posted:

Eh, genetics hosed me over really good. I don't know my exact vision, but I'm both nearsighted and farsighted and I have a stigmatism. And my optometrist told me I'm not able to get laser eye surgery. At this rate, I'm probably going to go blind.

What does this directly have to do with your mental health? Other than demonstrate that you can't focus on the question at hand?

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

neon tarsier posted:

What does this directly have to do with your mental health? Other than demonstrate that you can't focus on the question at hand?

It's code for "it's not my fault" :ssh:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Benny the Snake posted:

Are you even reading this thread?

neon tarsier
Sep 14, 2007

not much chance for survival

the runs formula posted:

It's code for "it's not my fault" :ssh:

You're right, I failed to pick up on the "genetics is destiny" metaphoric subtext. :colbert:

Benny - An eye surgeon being unable to correct your vision with a laser doesn't mean that therapy/medication can't help fix your brain. These things aren't equivalent. One genetic issue being unfixable doesn't automatically carry over into all of them.

Also I skimmed your Great Gatsby thread and it seemed surprisingly okay.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh, Benny... :allears:

Fortunately, I'm narcissistic enough to really enjoy putting my words on the Internet, so I'll probably keep typing at a brick wall for a while longer.

SchrodingersFish posted:

People are making GBS threads on you left and right for legitimate and non-legitimate reasons in my opinion (LIke seriously, what's up with the guy who's obsessed with United Way? He seems convinced that you are doomed if you don't call them RIGHT NOW)

Wasn't me, but in my mind at least, it isn't about the United Way so much as what the United Way represents: a promising source of potential employment opportunities that hasn't been explored despite having free time in which to do so. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't pursue this one thing, but think of all the other possibilities he's squandering by not devoting enough time and energy to the job search, by cutting corners on cover letters, by dismissing out of hand any openings that aren't very simple to reach on public transit, by picking and choosing the goon advice that's easiest to follow, and so on.

The_Dude
Aug 28, 2005
STUPID
DICK
Benny, I'm currently unemployed so I feel your pain. It seems to me that you either didn't take initiative in University or were never shown how to properly conduct yourself when looking for a job. Take the advice of the thread, also look up Ramit Sethi's dream job course. It's helped me understand why I have had such a hard time finding a job, and some of the pitfalls that we can run into.

Also - until the pain of living with your parents is greater than the pain of doing all the little meticulous job hunting things and good advice you've been presented here...you won't do it and you'll keep half heartedly searching.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

I want to think that I put in my two weeks notice. Five years is a long time to remember, though. Besides, I'm positive that I was a good employee. If I wasn't, then why would they hold me on for about two years?

And yeah, I paid $50 to my parents out of my paycheck. It's my monthly contribution to groceries and cell phone.

Benny, I'm 33 years old, I've worked more than 20 jobs in my life since I was 17 and I can tell you the exact circumstances of how I left each one and whether or not I gave notice. You are either monumentally stupid or you make up vague lies to cover your shortcomings. Possibly both.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Benny,

Allow me to ensure you that you do not have to be a good employee to keep a job at McDonalds.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I just wanted to thank the wonderful goon (Devyl, I think?) who posted that freelance job opening site a number of pages back. I used to work in textbook publishing, but a few years back I quit to stay home with my rugrats. I've been a freelance copyeditor/proofreader ever since, although my only client was my former employer.

Around the beginning of this thread I hosed up a project good and proper, and didn't get any more work from them. It was about 2 months later that I saw that link, answered a job posting, found a great employer looking for freelancers (with decent pay, $15 to $25 per hour, depending on the extent of the edit needed), and within a week was receiving work from them. Then my old client started sending me work again.

So I guess what I'm saying, Benny, is that since you started this thread, I lost my job, got a new one, and then got my old one back.

Troublemaker fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 25, 2013

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

PurePerfection posted:

Wasn't me, but in my mind at least, it isn't about the United Way so much as what the United Way represents: a promising source of potential employment opportunities that hasn't been explored despite having free time in which to do so. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't pursue this one thing, but think of all the other possibilities he's squandering by not devoting enough time and energy to the job search, by cutting corners on cover letters, by dismissing out of hand any openings that aren't very simple to reach on public transit, by picking and choosing the goon advice that's easiest to follow, and so on.

Ok that makes sense then I guess. I've just never ever heard of the United Way, and only know Goodwill as a homophobic thrift store... (or am I confusing it with the Salvation Army?) so I thought it was such a weird thing to focus on with at least 5 consecutive posts demanding to know why he hadn't called.

I think it much more stupid that he's limiting his job search to the extreme of "places I can walk to from my house" and am wondering why people aren't giving him more poo poo for this. Especially since his friend offered him a room in the middle of the city where there are tons and tons more jobs. He also never answered my question of "why can't you use your parents car, I thought they were unemployed also" or "At the very least, why can't your parents drop you off at a job in the morning and pick you up at night until you save up enough to buy a junker car".

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

SchrodingersFish posted:

Ok that makes sense then I guess. I've just never ever heard of the United Way, and only know Goodwill as a homophobic thrift store... (or am I confusing it with the Salvation Army?) so I thought it was such a weird thing to focus on with at least 5 consecutive posts demanding to know why he hadn't called.

I think it much more stupid that he's limiting his job search to the extreme of "places I can walk to from my house" and am wondering why people aren't giving him more poo poo for this. Especially since his friend offered him a room in the middle of the city where there are tons and tons more jobs. He also never answered my question of "why can't you use your parents car, I thought they were unemployed also" or "At the very least, why can't your parents drop you off at a job in the morning and pick you up at night until you save up enough to buy a junker car".

I think Salvation Army is the homophobic one.

And yeah, not sure why he can't borrow his parents' car (assuming they have one). Also not sure why carpooling never seems to occur to him either - I suggested it earlier with regard to Disney jobs and he said it was looking into it.

Of course there's also the bus system. It may be unreliable, but frankly, there are thousands - maybe millions - of people in this country who rely on public transit, and not all of them live in a city with great options. Somehow, they make it work. They wake up early and allow extra time. They have emergency backup plans - a friend or relative who can give them a lift, or in a pinch, the number for a taxi company. But most of the time, they just put up with the routine delays and service interruptions, because they account for these possibilities when they decide what time to leave for work.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Or why it took a job fair for Benny to apply to Target, ToysRUs or Petsmart?

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Eris posted:

This. Unless they were corporate positions that he couldn't inquire about by calling or visiting a local store, there's no reason to wait. It still would have been a nice touch to stop by their booths at the job fair, but there's absolutely no good reason for him not to have proactively filled out the online applications weeks ago.

These are huge retailers, household names that you should be able to come up with just by asking yourself "Hmm, what stores might be hiring?" He's probably been to some of these places before. It begs the question - Where else hasn't he applied? Is there also a Wal-Mart or a K-Mart or a Petco he could reach using the bus but hasn't thought of contacting?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

SchrodingersFish posted:

The homophobes you're thinking of are the Salvation Army. The thrift stores are a part Goodwill's business model, but it's not the only thing they do. If you have at least one Goodwill in your city, they will have career centers. Career centers are usually staffed with social workers that provide job placement assistance, resume reviews, aptitude tests to help you find jobs you qualify for (or to point out jobs that you hadn't considered). So yeah, Goodwill is a great place to check out if you're looking for jobs and you can get clothes there. United Way is the larger, international umbrella that several organizations (like Goodwill) fall under. There is no reason not to at least call and talk to them. I've also been suggesting that he go to the Dept of Labor/Unemployment office, as they also offer a lot of the same services. A lot times these organizations get advance warning of department store openings, factory openings, large businesses moving to the area, etc. that will need a lot of new hires. If your name is in the database and you qualify, you often can get in on the first wave of interviews.

This thread was started in January. It would be one thing if he'd said "Hey, I checked them out and they didn't have anything", but it's pretty clear that he hasn't even bothered to call and/or physically go to one of these organizations. There's basically no excuse for it at this point. And I'm not saying that his problems would be 100% resolved if he went to Goodwill/Department of Labor/Untied Way agencies but he'd at least be talking to qualified professionals that can review his resumes, give him job leads, hook him up with training, and maybe even point him in a direction he hadn't considered before.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay, okay. I get the point. Don't reverse engineer cover letters. I did, however, save a template. Name/contact on top, "To whom it may concern," and "Sincerely" at the bottom. The rest I fill in. I've written a handful of cover letters from scratch already

natetimm posted:

Benny, I'm 33 years old, I've worked more than 20 jobs in my life since I was 17 and I can tell you the exact circumstances of how I left each one and whether or not I gave notice. You are either monumentally stupid or you make up vague lies to cover your shortcomings. Possibly both.
See during the interview I had to point out to the manager that I have worked at McDonald's previously, which is clearly on my application. When he asked if I put in my "two weeks" I say to him "Yes, I'm positive" but in my head I'm thinking 1) a two week's notice is a courtesy and not a requirement for an at-will job like McDonald's and 2) is this really going to make or break my chances for this job? So I completely blanked on whether I did or not because all I'm thinking is "How much more run-around am I going to have to go through with this job?"

Eris posted:

I've applied to all three before, thankyouverymuch.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, okay. I get the point. Don't reverse engineer cover letters. I did, however, save a template. Name/contact on top, "To whom it may concern," and "Sincerely" at the bottom. The rest I fill in. I've written a handful of cover letters from scratch already
See during the interview I had to point out to the manager that I have worked at McDonald's previously, which is clearly on my application. When he asked if I put in my "two weeks" I say to him "Yes, I'm positive" but in my head I'm thinking 1) a two week's notice is a courtesy and not a requirement for an at-will job like McDonald's and 2) is this really going to make or break my chances for this job? So I completely blanked on whether I did or not because all I'm thinking is "How much more run-around am I going to have to go through with this job?"

Many employers have corporate policies against hiring employees who have previously quit without giving two weeks' notice. I worked for a department store that had the same rule. Is it really so difficult to understand why this might be important to a hiring manager? If you left abruptly before, you might do it again, and that would put them in a bind.

This isn't "run-around" - it is a reasonable, relevant question.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Morby posted:

This thread was started in January. It would be one thing if he'd said "Hey, I checked them out and they didn't have anything", but it's pretty clear that he hasn't even bothered to call and/or physically go to one of these organizations. There's basically no excuse for it at this point. And I'm not saying that his problems would be 100% resolved if he went to Goodwill/Department of Labor/Untied Way agencies but he'd at least be talking to qualified professionals that can review his resumes, give him job leads, hook him up with training, and maybe even point him in a direction he hadn't considered before.

The same goes for tutoring, teaching English overseas, and Mechanical Turk. The OP is seemingly ignoring any advice that involves anything other than mass-spamming résumés to entry-level positions.

Also, saying you'd "like to think" you gave your notice means you didn't and are too weasely to admit it. I'd like to think of myself as a millionaire but that doesn't change the reality.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, have you thought about going on disability?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, okay. I get the point. Don't reverse engineer cover letters. I did, however, save a template. Name/contact on top, "To whom it may concern," and "Sincerely" at the bottom. The rest I fill in.

If you know the name/contact for the position, why are you addressing it "To Whom it May Concern"? Why wouldn't you address it to the hiring manager or head of personnel or whomever?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Troublemaker posted:

If you know the name/contact for the position, why are you addressing it "To Whom it May Concern"? Why wouldn't you address it to the hiring manager or head of personnel or whomever?
I do that. "To whom it may concern" is a placeholder. I make sure to add the contact information of the hiring manager if I have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are no circumstances under which a letter to a would-be employer should begin "To Whom It May Concern". None. Find out who is doing the hiring. Call and say "To whom should I address a letter?" Worst case, leave the salutation blank, or say "Dear Hiring Manager".

edit

quote:

I'm thinking 1) a two week's notice is a courtesy and not a requirement for an at-will job like McDonald's and 2) is this really going to make or break my chances for this job? So I completely blanked on whether I did or not because all I'm thinking is "How much more run-around am I going to have to go through with this job?"
Drop the attitude, now. You are going to have to go through every bit of run-around they want, because this is an entry-level job. At entry-level jobs, when told to jump, you do not get to say anything other than "How high?" In your own recent past, this is how you lost the cooking job.

Are you capable of learning from your failures? At all?

"two week's notice is a courtesy and not a requirement" So, how do you plan to treat the people you may shortly be needing a reference from? With discourtesy?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2013

• Locked thread