Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Didn't they say they'd like to emphasise persistent units even more as well? I can't see anybody entrusting their beloved 3rd Legion 'G4vlSLAYAZ' to the hands of some retarded AI.

It's early days yet but when this does come out, is everybody going to go straight to Rome for their first playthrough?

Ah hell nah, I'm going straight to Carthage. I'll show those Roman dogs what's what!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hopefully this game will provide an actual challenge in battles without stupid morale / attack bonuses on harder difficulties. It's too easy to find ways to beat the AI in previous games. It sort of just becomes a game of ratios, of how low can you get your casualties vs their losses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, I kind of like the fact that my levied soldiers aren't that much worse than my Super Elite Veterans at the end of the day. An errant arrow or bullet and your Berserker Warrior-God Level 99 is still a dead man.

Unfortunately this is hardly the case, as an elite group of archers can take on 3 basic archer groups in Total War games. Just as well, having "Health" is lovely. I remember in ME2:TW there was an Irish troop called the Muire which only had 30 dudes in its entire unit instead of the usual 60-100. Those 30 dudes, however, could take like 4x as many hits as any other troop, so these 30 dudes would end up just soaking up 10 volleys of arrows and losing not a single troop, then killing like 80 heavy armored swordsmen with minimal casualties.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Out of curiosity, in FotS, has anybody found Gatling guns to be anything more than an expensive toy? I mean, from messing around with them in custom battles, they can be neat to play with, but a regiment of elite infantry can do roughly what they can do and with more flexibility, while proper artillery has range and the ability to mess up fortifications on its side.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tomn posted:

Out of curiosity, in FotS, has anybody found Gatling guns to be anything more than an expensive toy? I mean, from messing around with them in custom battles, they can be neat to play with, but a regiment of elite infantry can do roughly what they can do and with more flexibility, while proper artillery has range and the ability to mess up fortifications on its side.

I liked using a single unit as the centerpiece of the army, inspiring it with the general, and using the gun's range to pick off enemy cavalry. Admittedly, artillery and infantry do a good job of killing off cavalry wings, but sometimes they end up taking too long to shuffle into position. When that happens, I set the guns to fire or personally take command, and rout/outright kill any incoming cavalry before they even get halfway through the killzone. Meanwhile, my cannons can better spend their rounds and time on more important targets, and my infantry won't have any chances to gently caress up their positioning.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They can be pretty good gate defense for sieges too.

I use a mod that tweaks the tech tree so both me and the AI can use a lot of stuff during the campaign and not the last five turns.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Didn't they say they'd like to emphasise persistent units even more as well? I can't see anybody entrusting their beloved 3rd Legion 'G4vlSLAYAZ' to the hands of some retarded AI.

It's early days yet but when this does come out, is everybody going to go straight to Rome for their first playthrough?

Macedon in both multiplayer and singleplayer, I really like to use my cavalry aggressively and having pikemen to tie up the enemy infantry while the companions do the heavly lifting will probably work out fine for me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You know, I've just looked over the different factions and I actually find myself pretty torn on which one I wanna play first. That's already a good sign and a welcome change from the rather samey clans of S2. I think I might go with the Suebi, having lots of skirmishers and light infantry sounds like a way to make battles pretty interesting.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They're gonna have all factions unlocked from the start? So I won't need to go through a campaign as the Julii or whatever to play as the Gauls? Or are we just assuming that based on Shogun 2?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only 8 factions were announced. Expect the rest to be DLC.

Edit: I think all 8 will be unlocked from the start.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

They're gonna have all factions unlocked from the start? So I won't need to go through a campaign as the Julii or whatever to play as the Gauls? Or are we just assuming that based on Shogun 2?

The only games in the series where you had to unlock factions were Rome 1 and Medieval 2, weren't they? I didn't play Medieval 1 but in Shogun, Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 at the very least you've had a full choice of factions from the start. It isn't really a break in precedent. And at least in Rome 1 you had "three" factions at the beginning; it's a bit weird if they only give you one to pick.

Tomn posted:

In addition to what the other guys have said, they don't really suffer attrition. Having full attack strength even when half their dudes died from the (longer FotS) winter is pretty valuable. So there are some roles for them, but yeah, they're limited because at the point of the game you get them in, really everything that isn't just "more armstrong guns" is just an expensive toy.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
I originally disliked Empire, the whole concept of ranged units shooting each other seemed boring but eventually I got into it (Reading a book on the British Empire helped too). However, I'm still stuck on a few aspects:

1. America: I've virtually conquered all of America but I don't think I'm getting enough money out of it. I've built up as much infrastructure (Mines, plantations, etc.) except for the 5000+ ports. Is there anything more I can do?

2. Diplomacy: As a result of taking America and fighting the other Catholic nations, most of the world hates me. Is there any way around this or does is game suggesting I conquer more gradually in future play throughs? What else can I do to secure trade agreements? I'm fortunate I have one with the Ottoman Empire, though for some reason some of the shipping routes have gone to 0 and I don't know why, I can't see any pirates anywhere.

3. Some day I'll finish my Britain play through (I'm about to crush Mysore and am fighting my way up India to get the objective territories), but what other nations are fun to play as for something different? Russia? One of the (East) Indian nations?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Magic posted:

I originally disliked Empire, the whole concept of ranged units shooting each other seemed boring but eventually I got into it (Reading a book on the British Empire helped too). However, I'm still stuck on a few aspects:

1. America: I've virtually conquered all of America but I don't think I'm getting enough money out of it. I've built up as much infrastructure (Mines, plantations, etc.) except for the 5000+ ports. Is there anything more I can do?

2. Diplomacy: As a result of taking America and fighting the other Catholic nations, most of the world hates me. Is there any way around this or does is game suggesting I conquer more gradually in future play throughs? What else can I do to secure trade agreements? I'm fortunate I have one with the Ottoman Empire, though for some reason some of the shipping routes have gone to 0 and I don't know why, I can't see any pirates anywhere.

3. Some day I'll finish my Britain play through (I'm about to crush Mysore and am fighting my way up India to get the objective territories), but what other nations are fun to play as for something different? Russia? One of the (East) Indian nations?

1. Build up the ports. Always build up ports, they're one of the first things you should go for.

2. Everyone will eventually hate you, no way around that really. The series is called Total War. Towards the end of the game you have to have sustainable trade within your own empire; also, secure all the trade regions, they can give you a hell of a lot of money. Pirates on trade routes only reduce a bit of their values; a complete halt is because someone is blockading someone's port.

3. That's sort of completely subjective, but the Ottomans and Marathas are pretty different from all the rest. Also unlocking factions and playing as Venice or Persia can be fun too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Make sure the Governor of the Colonies isn't a financially terrible Dullard. Fire him and replace him with somebody good with math too.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I'm fairly sure I have discovered the greatest M2 mod ever.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?428039-Planet-War-Campaign-Released!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

See, this is why a warhammer TW game would be great. They could just go nuts.

Red Terror
Oct 1, 2009

Magic posted:

1. American territories don't have much inherit wealth unlike European counterparts, what they do offer is tons of trading goods. So what is important is to have as many trading partners as possible in order to create wealth through trade. Great Britain should focus on Marathas, Netherlands, Sweden, and Prussia as their early game allies and trading partners. Eventually, you will may have to declare war on or cut lose some of these allies, but you should try to use them as long as possible. Ottomans are iffy trading partners because they're own protectorate Barbary States will raid your mediterranean trade routes with little you can do about it. In your case since you lack friends, you might as well reduce your wealth impact by disbanding/transferring unneeded military in the Americas and start capturing wealthy European territories instead.

2. The world will eventually hate you anyway, what important is picking and choosing your battles by sticking with your early religious ties. Protestant nations tend to be friendly with other protestants so as Great Britain it's important to prop up Sweden as a natural buffer to Russia, Prussia to Poland/Austria, and Netherlands to France. As to your trading problem, see above explanation with the Barbary states. If not, when a route goes to 0 it means someone at war with you or the Ottomans is raiding the main trading port.

3. Personally, I enjoy France the most. They have an excellent European and American foothold to start and have the capability to grow into a world power quickly similar to Great Britain. Spain I'm not too fond of, despite the similarities but they start off with potentially too much territory for my liking. Sweden and Netherlands also have a small place in my heart for similar reasons. I find primarily land based nations like Russia, Prussia, Austria and Poland very boring, I am a sucker for naval combat and trade routes is where the moneys at.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Top 5 TWCenter mods of all time right here. I love how the screenshots get more and more insane as you go, as if he knows if he hits you up with the mechwarriors and godzillas right off the bat it will be too much.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Quick, someone do a Lets Play of that mod.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Flippycunt posted:

Yes please.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flippycunt posted:

Someone MUST DO THIS.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Play as the Smurf faction, tia.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Flippycunt posted:

Only if they write up a narrative that explains why Romans are fighting Godzilla, Shrek and the Klingon Empire.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

cafel posted:

Only if they write up a narrative that explains why Romans are fighting Godzilla, Shrek and the Klingon Empire.

Somebody. Please do this.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
They revealed the final faction (which is apparently free release-day DLC) for Rome 2: it's Pontus.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why make it free day-one DLC? I guess they've already planned what's on the disc?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

concerned mom posted:

I wonder why make it free day-one DLC? I guess they've already planned what's on the disc?

Gets people connected to the online component. Is Rome 2 gonna be Steamworks? If so, this'll get people who maybe just use steam as a client to play games they've bought at retail and plugged in CD Keys for to actually check out the Steam store. From there, they might become regular customers.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I like Pontus. Lots of expansion room and a (hopefully) interesting roster of Helenised eastern troops and Gallo-Roman style heavy infantry. Plus Galatia is right next door. They're my first choice for a campaign.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

peer posted:

They revealed the final faction (which is apparently free release-day DLC) for Rome 2: it's Pontus.

Man, the Seleucid fans are gonna be so pissed. I imagine the TWC forums are going to be an unpleasant place to wander for the next few days. Well, more so than usual, that is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well it is a whole faction they are releasing for free without any pre-ordering nonsense. In my eyes it is progress.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Pontus writeup says that "eastern cultural influence" leads to reduced public order. I guess this means they're using some sort of culture-group type thing, like religion in earlier games.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
That's a good choice, Pontos is a really interesting faction and I'm looking forward to playing as them.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Just saw this on reddit, a giveaway for all of the total war games by total war center

Link to TW Center forum with details

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabhadh posted:

I like Pontus. Lots of expansion room and a (hopefully) interesting roster of Helenised eastern troops and Gallo-Roman style heavy infantry. Plus Galatia is right next door. They're my first choice for a campaign.

I'd pay good money for a decent Galatian DLC.

Gaul infantry supported by Carpathian cavalry :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Man, the Seleucid fans are gonna be so pissed. I imagine the TWC forums are going to be an unpleasant place to wander for the next few days. Well, more so than usual, that is.

By sheer coincidence, I'm having a hard time connecting to the TWC forums right now. Heh.

I'm guessing the Selucids are set up as a major starting power that Parthia has to expand through, much like how the barbarian factions need to "unite the tribes" to form a kingdom and that's why they aren't playable. Or they could just be planning to milk TW ubernerds for cash dlc later, who knows.

Pontus seems like a good choice with plenty of map-room, anyways.

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!

Those Darth Maul guys are hilarious, someone please tell me this mod is ironic or something.

Can't decide if I wanna play them or those egypt-looking guys with the crazy two-horned giant dinosaurs.

e: Actually, now that I think of it I haven't played M2 in forever so I'll probably just stick to a normal mod at first. Any recommendations?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
You guys didn't even post the best picture yet:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Perspective? Scale? Photoshop? What the gently caress are those? Anyway I stitched together the preliminary maps for Rome II:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
That looks like Ireland is labelled Caledonia and Scotland Hibernia.

Ah! An 'et' which I didn't make out properly. OK, but it'll look really odd if they're both the same province. I wonder ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I actually kind of hope they make Ireland and Scotland uninhabitable to force the Britons player to expand onto the continent

edit: Spain looks so sad