Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

oRenj9 posted:

The Celica has such a rich racing history

You meant to type ricing history right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

oRenj9 posted:

I think it was a mistake not to market it as the Celica. The Celica has such a rich racing history and now Toyota has to rebuild that reputation from the ground up, rather than capitalizing on past successes. Plus, I can't help but think of the Celica when I sat in one, the seating position is the same, the body style is very similar, and it is clearly a continuation of the small, lightweight sports car imagine that they designed the last-gen Celica around.

The Celica has an awful reputation in the US as a chick car. The alltrac sold very poorly, and they only brought over the performance engines for two generations. The last gen was a legitimate sports car, but the rep was already ruined by then.. That awful 'looks fast' marketing campaign didn't help much, either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
7th gen Celica was anything but a sports car.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Celica has an awful reputation in the US as a chick car. The alltrac sold very poorly, and they only brought over the performance engines for two generations. The last gen was a legitimate sports car, but the rep was already ruined by then.. That awful 'looks fast' marketing campaign didn't help much, either.

Anyone who directly refers to anything as a "chick car", especially in derogatory terms is a loving scumbag.

EDIT: Obviously you're just referring to a reputation and that's fine, I just really hate the term and what it represents.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 24, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyone who directly refers to anything as a "chick car", especially in derogatory terms is a loving scumbag.

Why?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

BraveUlysses posted:

7th gen Celica was anything but a sports car.

2300 lbs, double wishbone suspension and 180 hp. Maybe not a sports car, but top of the FWD coupe class. Compare that to the previous gens which boiled down to camry coupes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Because describing something as feminine in a derogatory or inferior manner is pretty loving sexist.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Better go apologize for all those times I've used the term brotruck then, or does that not count?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Coredump posted:

Better go apologize for all those times I've used the term brotruck then, or does that not count?

If you want to have a serious conversation about this, there's a feminism thread in E/N we can take this to. Otherwise, don't get bent out of shape.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is not the place to argue the perceived insensitivity of a term. I mean, sure, we've apparently argued everything else that isn't a Toyobaru here, but we're not adding that to the list.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

2300 lbs, double wishbone suspension and 180 hp. Maybe not a sports car, but top of the FWD coupe class.

Over the Chevrolet Cobalt SS? I don't think so.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Let's continue splitting hairs, why don't we?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Talk about a girl car. All we need is mention of a Mitsubishi Eclipse and the chick car trifecta is complete.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Well if you're gonna go there, the Celica was dropped in 2006, the good Cobalt didn't come out until MY 2008.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Good god, the 86 called the Celica? Have you DRIVEN a Celica, either FWD or RWD? There was precisely ONE - the first FWD that was actually remarkable (Argument could be made for the 7th Gen). The RWD's were turds in their days and are utter rubbish without a great deal of modifications today. The AWD ones of course were good but they are AWD turbo rally monsters. Calling the 86 a new Celica would have been a death sentance.

The 86/BRZ IS a dead ringer for the original Sprinter/AE86 - the originals were decent enough and were ridiculously fun little cars. Pretty much everything the Celica tended not to be - and even if you go back to back from Sprinter/AE86 to 86/BRZ, there is quite clearly at the least a homage to being able to throw it into a corner backwards and come out the other side. In a Celica you understeer into a tree if you try that one on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah the Celica had a rich racing history in like 1991 for a WRC special.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the Celica had a rich racing history in like 1991 for a WRC special.

And cheating while doing it. :ssh:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think that the twins are absolutely the spiritual successor to the original AE86.

As mentioned before, the handling characteristics are very reminiscent of the original, which was known for drivability and easy drifting. The emphasis on fun over sheer power is something the original had in spades too. The Celica has always been a fun car, but it hasn't been a RWD since the early 80's.

As far as the looks department, whilst I agree that the look is more Celica-ish, the AE86 was released at a time where everything was a box. Also, don't forget, the AE86 was also offered as a coupe as well as the hatch. I'd rather this sleek look than a souped up corolla, which is what the original looks like.

Another one of the key similarities is the price. Sports cars have always been very expensive (At least here in Australia), and the 86's have always been a hell of a lot of car for a relatively small amount of money, compared to what else is on the market.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

oRenj9 posted:

the small, lightweight sports car imagine that they designed the last-gen Celica around.

This part is accurate. The last-gen Celica was definitely a design that looked like a fat commuter wrapped around a small, lightweight sports car like a boxing glove.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'll stop harping on, but i wouldnt call the original 86 a sports car. Its the top, performance oriented model of an econo-box with a hot corporate engine and some sway bars. You'd pretty much have to call the current USDM Corolla-S a "Sports car" for that to be legitimate. Here's The Real Hachi-Roku successor. (Yes its not RWD and automatic, but so are lots of "Sports cars" these days.)

The modern car reminds me a lot more of the old Celica Supras, before the supra became its own model.

e: (i must clarify, what defines a "sports car" for me is a purpose built platform designed for performance as its main function, the new FT86 fits this mold, the celica fits the mold, the corolla does not.)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 25, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Isometric Bacon posted:

The Celica has always been a fun car

I would dispute that in the most strongest terms - almost all of the RWD's were utterly wretched cars and the FWD's? Ummmmm yeah, maybe 4th and 7th in certain models at best. In the RWD there were some more motorsport tuned cars that were used for Group B and Group A but they arent the ones you could typically buy from the dealer. The last RWD Celica was just plain inexcusable in it's badness and was shown up for exactly how bad when the 4th Gen FWD appeared, especially the high revving 2 litre manual versions which was at the time remarkably good for any car, let alone FWD. The ;ower end model were somewhat more snoozy but no denying you got the 2 litre manual? That was a good thing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'll stop harping on, but i wouldnt call the original 86 a sports car. Its the top, performance oriented model of an econo-box with a hot corporate engine and some sway bars. You'd pretty much have to call the current USDM Corolla-S a "Sports car" for that to be legitimate. Here's The Real Hachi-Roku successor. (Yes its not RWD and automatic, but so are lots of "Sports cars" these days.)

The modern car reminds me a lot more of the old Celica Supras, before the supra became its own model.

I wouldn't call a Lamborghini from the 80's a 'super car', it has less hp than a Camry and the Countach's actual spiritual successor is the Toyota Avalon

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think comparing hard numbers over decades of design isn't really the right way to go about classifying types of cars. 80's lambos are certainly "super cars". You must have misunderstood what i meant.

An engineering plan and marketing method? That stands mostly consistent over time, and doesn't change with hard numbers.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 25, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Thread title delivers again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wallaka posted:

Thread title delivers again.

I don't know why but all of you jerks just seem destined to stay offtopic in here. In the Mustang thread, people talk about Mustangs. In the Miata thread, people talk about Miatas. In the Toyobaru thread, people talk about sexism and Countaches and Corollas. :psyduck:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only because I can't buy a Toyobaru yet. :(

Have seen a few on the road and they look great.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MattD1zzl3 posted:

An engineering plan and marketing method? That stands mostly consistent over time, and doesn't change with hard numbers.

It's a car that handles well that's cheap. People vaguely remember that about the old car, whether that's true or not. And you better not be that guy who can't deal with power steering.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know why but all of you jerks just seem destined to stay offtopic in here. In the Mustang thread, people talk about Mustangs. In the Miata thread, people talk about Miatas. In the Toyobaru thread, people talk about sexism and Countaches and Corollas. :psyduck:

Last time I raged about it people said "It's because not enough people own the car".

I'm pretty sure it's because posters like MattD1zzl3 and Splizwarf invest a lot of time in not shutting the gently caress about about discussion no one cares about.

I try to come here and discuss things about the car, but evidently talking about the Celica is more appropriate? :downsgun:

On Topic: The Road & Track long term BRZ is evidently getting upgraded with Nameless parts: https://www.facebook.com/namelessperformance

"The Road & Track Long Term BRZ Test Car is about to get some upgrades. Shipping off a Nameless Performance Overpipe/Downpipe w/ Helmholtz & HFC as well as a 5" Muffled Nameless Performance Axleback Exhaust to their headquarters today.

It's a good day when R&T calls you and wants your parts."

How are they getting that stuff and not the header though?

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2013

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's get this thread back on track!

Here is an artsy photo of my baby right after an autocross at Harris Hill Raceway a few months ago.

Here is an action shot of me driving my baby at somewhere near the limit of the stock tires. I usually make the tires cry during each run (much to the detriment of my time, but goddamn if it isn't fun to throw my car into corners at too fast speed).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I only post occasionally in this thread, usually to poke fun at goofy opinion posts. :(

IOwnCalculus, I bet the improved signal-to-noise in the other threads you mentioned is mostly due to how long those vehicles have been made. Either car be had for under $1000 (in poo poo shape mostly, but running), whereas this car has a pretty exclusive owner's club at the moment. Most of the people who are interested don't have one, so it's speculative opinion city in here.

I walk past several unsold ones every day now and one day I'm probably going to get hit by a car or walk into a door or something.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 25, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

kimbo305 posted:

And you better not be that guy who can't deal with power steering.

Ok, off of the celica discussion. I actually do daily drive a car with no power steering. This is the first time i've mentioned this to anyone as far as i know. Why am i ruining AI for you?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I decided i'd talk about what is, or is not a sports car. What is, or is not an AE86 in the threads and audiences designated for the car i had in mind. Sorry, i guess.

Splizwarf posted:

Earlier in this thread, someone ruined like 7 pages with rants about the 'purity' of manual steering.

I dont forsee a massive derail (because nobody cares), but yea, i am annoyed that wanting to sacrifice what are clearly luxury features for performance isn't an option for consumers these days. There should be some kind of mental step in between wanting a windshield and a starter motor, and wanting air conditioning and power-assisted steering. People act like you're crazy to express these opinions. (And i'm not some kind of old guy longing for "better days". I was born in 1986). Also, pages are effectively unlimited for users here, and short of drowning out news about the 2014 toyobaru, talking about lightweight sports car features in a light sports car topic seems pretty legitimate to me.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 25, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ok, off of the celica discussion. I actually do daily drive a car with no power steering. This is the first time i've mentioned this to anyone as far as i know. Why am i ruining AI for you?

Earlier in this thread, someone ruined like 7 pages with rants about the 'purity' of manual steering.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Don't forget the great Automatic HVAC control debate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Splizwarf posted:

"What has the faster steering ratio? Yeah, I'll take that one."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
On the Toyobaru front, I did go look at some local dealers recently. The Scion dealer actually had three cars sitting on the lot, all of them manual transmission even. Headed to the Subie dealership, they had none and said the BRZ was "strictly an order situation". Which sucks, because I want leather and the stereo in the Scion looks like something you'd find in a late 80s Trans Am.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Q_res posted:

On the Toyobaru front, I did go look at some local dealers recently. The Scion dealer actually had three cars sitting on the lot, all of them manual transmission even. Headed to the Subie dealership, they had none and said the BRZ was "strictly an order situation". Which sucks, because I want leather and the stereo in the Scion looks like something you'd find in a late 80s Trans Am.

Have you tried looking used? Every other month, I see a new one listed for sale with 10k or less miles on it. Seems either the new factor is wearing off, or the person needs to sell quick because of some kind of money emergency.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

MattD1zzl3 and Splizwarf invest a lot of time in not shutting the gently caress up
More on topic stuff:

Bay Area availability update: A couple days after aforementioned test drive, I put down a refundable deposit on a white manual FR-S. Was quite straightforward, they happened to have exactly what I want already en route. It should be ready for pickup in a couple weeks. Going by my experience, FR-S availability doesn't appear to be an issue around here.

I actually prefer the FR-S radio since I'll be almost exclusively using BT audio or the aux jack for tunez, and gmaps for navigation. If I someday want a more ~interactive experience~ I'll probably just figure out how to stick a nexus 7 in there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I have seen more FT/BRZs in the three weeks since I moved to the Raleigh-Durham area than I did in all the time before. The same thing also holds true for Porsches. What's going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sigma X posted:

I have seen more FT/BRZs in the three weeks since I moved to the Raleigh-Durham area than I did in all the time before. The same thing also holds true for Porsches. What's going on here?

Speaking as one of them, lots of young professionals with money to burn. And the local dealerships seem to be getting a bunch in stock. The FRS I got was one of three at the dealer, and the Subaru place in Chapel Hill also has three sitting around.

• Locked thread