Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

pangstrom posted:

I know it's Fox but I'm surprised he managed to not get fired for that. Maybe it was too hardcore and backwards to be racism in the "gotcha" sense, shooting the eugenics moon or something. And it's not just the content but yeah, like you said that it's unprompted makes it even worse.
You gotta dig how in his simian brain he was clutching for a word that sounded scientific to him so that he wouldn't sound racist (again, to him) when he said it. And what does he poo poo out? Species. loving brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This morning Alan Chartock has reversed on the death penalty issue, sort of. He mentioned that all the callers yesterday were 100% against it and some got upset at him. He's being a lot more diplomatic about it today.

Though now he's pushing that torture is okay in extreme circumstances when you need information out of people. His 'what if' this time is basically "What if your daughter was being held somewhere and only this one guy could tell you? If you don't find out where she is she'll be raped!!!" Moments after having an expert say that you never get real answers from torture.

gently caress I hate this guy. He owns all the NPR affiliates around my area so he puts himself on air all day in every program between the stuff they buy from NPR and BBC.

My local leftwing station is pro-death penalty and pro-torture. It's so bizarre.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 24, 2013

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At least it seems that the actually listeners are opposed to that nonsense.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Radish posted:

At least it seems that the actually listeners are opposed to that nonsense.

Yeah this is sort of the wrong place to be pushing pro-death penalty and pro-torture on the radio. Especially on NPR. He owns all the stations though so he always gets the most airtime over everyone and won't be gone til he's too old to talk.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NPR makes me nervous since they are branded as extreme left wing but as in this case they often present either a "truth in the middle" attitude where one side is a GOP thing tank or straight up conservative dogma and it starts to move everything to the right. So when callers don't go along with it, it makes me feel a little better.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

quote:

His 'what if' this time is basically "What if your daughter was being held somewhere and only this one guy could tell you? If you don't find out where she is she'll be raped!!!"

Big fan of the movie Taken, I see.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Radish posted:

NPR makes me nervous since they are branded as extreme left wing but as in this case they often present either a "truth in the middle" attitude where one side is a GOP thing tank or straight up conservative dogma and it starts to move everything to the right. So when callers don't go along with it, it makes me feel a little better.

They get that brand from the Extreme Right Wing though. I dont think NPR has any interest or responsibility to be the "left wing" news source.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A DENVER FAX posted:

They get that brand from the Extreme Right Wing though. I dont think NPR has any interest or responsibility to be the "left wing" news source.

I don't think they necessarily do either but I'm fairly certain it's not just Republicans that think they are center to far left.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I don't think they necessarily do either but I'm fairly certain it's not just Republicans that think they are center to far left.

There is no far left popular media discourse in this country. In terms of the average political view in the nation, they're in the center; in terms of the industrial media, they're on the "far left," in the same sense that California is on the far west boundary of the continental U.S.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Radish posted:

Mainly because the average American thinks being extreme left wing is asking if your beef is organic or not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I agree but I think this comes down to what is considered "leftist" by the average American's standards and what is actually left wing which is probably a topic for another thread.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

When does she do that? She's like something out of a John Waters or Coen Brothers movie. What a loving parasite.

After the bombings in Boston she had a few nice things to say that felt somewhat out of character - kind of like what Colbert did before his episode last Tuesday.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Radish posted:

I agree but I think this comes down to what is considered "leftist" by the average American's standards and what is actually left wing which is probably a topic for another thread.

Don't really need a thread for it - Americans by and large consider Leftist and Democrat to be synonymous, when in fact that is not accurate. That's all there is to it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm aware that "left" doesn't really exist in the US. But it's all I really have to describe them without going on a paragraph or two about it whenever I'm trying to talk about people who self identify as left but really aren't.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Death Himself posted:

I'm aware that "left" doesn't really exist in the US. But it's all I really have to describe them without going on a paragraph or two about it whenever I'm trying to talk about people who self identify as left but really aren't.

It doesn't, IMO. I was gonna reply to one of your posts earlier about "left" radio stations/NPR/etc with "they're not really to the Left" but didn't want to really derail. :P

Call them what they are. Liberals. Liberal is not synonymous with Left. :)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It doesn't, IMO. I was gonna reply to one of your posts earlier about "left" radio stations/NPR/etc with "they're not really to the Left" but didn't want to really derail. :P

Call them what they are. Liberals. Liberal is not synonymous with Left. :)

Then you can argue that they aren't really that liberal either though...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
NPR is a relatively unbiased station that bends over backwards to appear centrist and sober and unbiased. Just like CNN.

Conservatives in the US think that means they are hopelessly fanatically liberal because the only debate in this country that is seen as legitimate is Conservative vs Not-Quite-As-Conservative and those sides are then labeled as Right and Left.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is no far left popular media discourse in this country. In terms of the average political view in the nation, they're in the center; in terms of the industrial media, they're on the "far left," in the same sense that California is on the far west boundary of the continental U.S.

I'd say Pacifica, but they're hardly popular.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's a whole thread where you can argue about whether the American left is the same as the Platonic ideal of the left: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534235

For content, Walter Williams wrote a column today on WND with the blunt title "Rich Folks: Stop Giving to Campus Cesspools". The gist is that diversity programs are racist and most faculty are card-carrying Communists and that the only way we can stop this madness is to get megadonors to withhold donations.

Oh by the way, the author of this piece holds a charitably-endowed position at GMU. :ironicat:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bill O'Reilly shows that he's still a bloviating know-nothing:

O’Reilly Demands To Know Why Obama Didn’t Condemn Islam Immediately After Boston Bombing

quote:

Fox News host Bill O’Reilly chose on Tuesday night to slam President Obama for failing to condemn Islam in the immediate aftermath of the Boston bombings and claimed that American Muslims aren’t doing enough to stand up against jihad.

During his “Talking Point Commentary” segment, O’Reilly called the President “seriously wrong” for urging the country on Friday to not to jump to conclusions about the bombing suspects’ motivations.

“It’s all about motivation and it’s all about a specific group of people,” O’Reilly declared, referring to Muslims. He then went on to say that suspected Dzhokar Tsarnaev and his deceased brother Tamerlan were definitively jihadists, stating that “only radical Islam allows terror murder.”

What O’Reilly failed to mention is that Obama’s Friday statement was made before anything was known about the brothers or what led them to place explosives at the Boston Marathon. The FBI didn’t release the two suspects’ pictures until Thursday afternoon, kicking off a massive manhunt. While on Friday morning the media learned that the two were ethnic Chechens, that information alone provided no further knowledge of the motivation behind the attack. Only after questioning alleged bomber Dzohkar Tsarnaev in custody did authorities learn that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan provided at least part of the impetus for the bombing.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Bush made a speech at a mosque immediately after 9/11, asking us not to start witch-hunts? I can't imagine the horror we'd see if someone did that today.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Obama should give speeches every day at the mosque he, himself, personally built at Ground Zero.

Remember that? Whatever happened to that place?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Leofish posted:

Obama should give speeches every day at the mosque he, himself, personally built at Ground Zero.

Remember that? Whatever happened to that place?

It became clear that it wasn't a mosque and people started to have a hard time railing against it without being transparently racist, so they stopped talking about it. It's still being constructed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I love how the story with actual :siren: radical Islamists reportedly connected to Al Qaeda in Iran :siren: being arrested for plotting to blow up an VIA Rail/Amtrak train seems to be absolutely buried compared to the Boston story. If the media was clamoring for plots from Al Qaeda operatives from countries we don't like, there's one on a silver platter just in the nick of time for everyone who's let down by the Boston perpetrators being two kids, but it seems to be relegated to tiny sidebar status.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That whole Canadian plot thing has been completely ignored by the media, as far as I can tell. Crazy stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have no idea why, but this Boston thing has driven a bunch of the minor Right Wing pundits I listen to insane.

One was talking earlier about how the Boston Bombings were known by a government agency but covered up and thats why bomb dogs were there and etc. etc.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
The right wing radio hosts today have been trying to imply the bombers were Democrats as hard as they possibly can, with Rush actually coming out and saying it at one point. It's mostly stuff about how one of the brothers was briefly on welfare and one of them tweeted something positive the night Obama was elected.

Also, apparently the information released that the brothers were partially motivated by the Iraq/Afghanistan wars is all a ploy so that the recent attack can be blamed on Bush.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good Citizen posted:

The right wing radio hosts today have been trying to imply the bombers were Democrats as hard as they possibly can, with Rush actually coming out and saying it at one point. It's mostly stuff about how one of the brothers was briefly on welfare and one of them tweeted something positive the night Obama was elected.

Fun fact. Rush Limbaugh has been on the dole more than once in his life. He also enlisted the aid of the ACLU back when he had his little drug problem. I'm starting to think he might be a hustler or a hypocrite of some sort.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

...is all a ploy so that the recent attack [or whatever] can be blamed on Bush.

I've never really understood this particular species of talking point. I guess it's supposed to resonate with people on the levels of:
  • Democrats are playing politics! And that's terrible. (use of the word 'ploy' or an equivalently dismissive synonym to suggest a lack of sincerity)
  • Democrats are irresponsible. (pejorative use of the word "blame", neatly ties into the "Makers vs. Takers" rhetoric)

I can see how it works to deflect attention, but I don't understand why* it seems to work as well as it does. Even if the contention that Democrats have political motivations to assign blame for $EVENT on $REPUBLICAN_ OFFICIAL is true, claiming "$OTHER_SIDE is only saying $THING_I_DISAGREE_WITH because $VEILED_AD_HOMINEM" doesn't actually address the argument or provide a substantive rebuttal.

In fact, if the premise of this deflection is strictly true, $OPPONENT is saying $THING_I_DON'T_LIKE for reasons solely motivated by self-interest and what is being alleged is totally disjoint from the truth, then it should be relatively easy to disprove the arguments without attacking your opponent's character. If the premise is mostly, or even only partly true, then it's still be simple to provide a more substantive argument then what is provided here. The only reason to deflect like this is if someone doesn't want to deal with the argument for some reason.

There are times when it's logically valid to decline responding an argument in such a fashion, but only if the validity of what is being dismissed/deflected is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, the validity of arguments presented in favor/against racism are irrelevant when discussing the environment and origins of racism, and the validity of Democrats assigning blame or fault for a situation with Bush Jr. are irrelevant in discussing if they could have political motives for their actions.

Unfortunately, I've only ever seen this deflection in public rhetoric be used as a debased and spectacularly hypocritical attempt to re-direct a conversation or control the tone and messaging of a discussion. Not to imply that doublethink** is an exclusive trait of the GOP, but I'm not aware of any similar deflections being used by Democrats; especially on a scale comparable to the Republican deployment of this meme.

*People aren't perfectly rational, and many seem to rely on an absence of analysis/critical thought and a lack of self-awareness.

**Doublethink and cognitive dissonance aren't intrinsically bad per say, provided you resolve any resulting contradiction(s) in a rational and logical fashion. Assuming that you care about determining the truth of your beliefs, that is.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 24, 2013

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

NPR is a relatively unbiased station that bends over backwards to appear centrist and sober and unbiased. Just like CNN.

I wouldn't call them "relatively unbiased", because when you characterize true facts as "one side's opinion" you're giving undue legitimacy to the obfuscation on the other side.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

beatlegs posted:

I wouldn't call them "relatively unbiased", because when you characterize true facts as "one side's opinion" you're giving undue legitimacy to the obfuscation on the other side.

Well, liberals believe that 2+2 is 4. Conservative opinion however states that

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
2+2 should be determined by the free market. Get the government out of our math!

Fake edit: those times tables are just coded messages to vote for Obama, don't use them!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's not even "relatively" unbiased, NPR's just managed to hide the fact that it's been bought better.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Mother Jones: Frank Luntz Calls Right-Wing Talk Radio ‘Problematic’ For GOP

quote:

"And they get great ratings, and they drive the message, and it's really problematic," Luntz said of right-wing talk-radio programs, according to a recording of the event. Luntz added that talk radio has been especially damaging to Sen. Marco Rubio's immigration reform efforts.

"He's getting destroyed," Luntz said, "by Mark Levin, by Rush Limbaugh, and a few others. He's trying to find a legitimate, long-term effective solution to immigration that isn't the traditional Republican approach, and talk radio is killing him. That's what's causing this thing underneath. And too many politicians in Washington are playing coy."

Luntz has started to agitate a bit about talk radio's effectiveness at destroying Republicans. Should we expect Levin to go all Master Shake on him this evening?

edit

Also, have the radio heads talked about CISPA at all? With Tea Party heroes like Bachmann supporting it and the president possibly threatening to veto it, I could only assume that they would support it like they did with SOPA and other online "security" legislation.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 25, 2013

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Benghazi conspiracy is so deep that even Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are involved. :staredog:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just don't get what the goal here is. I asked my Republican dad about it and he didn't even know although he was conditioned Pavlov's dog style to be outraged since Fox News said so. I mean, don't help out Americans when you have the tools, they die, lie about it, then ???? Like there's nothing here to gain and people don't care too much about it so what's the coverup supposed to be?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should the alleged Boston terror suspect get the death penalty?

TheBlaze.com (blog)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Sir Tonk posted:

Mother Jones: Frank Luntz Calls Right-Wing Talk Radio ‘Problematic’ For GOP

Luntz has started to agitate a bit about talk radio's effectiveness at destroying Republicans. Should we expect Levin to go all Master Shake on him this evening?

As much as I hate the vitriol and hatred the right wing radio throws out, this is why I kind of ok with it. I heard Luntz speak on a panel once and he came off as smart, likable and fairly reasonable. I talked to him for like 30 seconds after the panel and I had to remind myself afterwards of the henious poo poo he's helped the right to carry out. I'd rather have Rush as the brains of the Republicans then people like Luntz, because Luntz scares the poo poo out of me.

Phone posted:

Should the alleged Boston terror suspect get the death penalty?

TheBlaze.com (blog)

Is that assuming he's found guilty? That's a fairly reasonable to talk about. Is there something to that I'm missing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Radish posted:

I just don't get what the goal here is. I asked my Republican dad about it and he didn't even know although he was conditioned Pavlov's dog style to be outraged since Fox News said so. I mean, don't help out Americans when you have the tools, they die, lie about it, then ???? Like there's nothing here to gain and people don't care too much about it so what's the coverup supposed to be?

Obama let those people die because he hates America. Seriously, That's it. If you don't assume that Obama wants Americans to die, then there's nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hannity today calling Obama stupid and personally responsible because the FBI did not follow up on investigating the older bombing brother enough. Also using poo poo Michelle Bachman said as proof that the FBI has been weakened by Obama as though she's an authority on anything but batshit crazy.